PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on William Gay as the starter?

Stairwayto7
03-09-2009, 07:38 AM
I was reading this and decided to share. I`m happy with William Gay, but we do need to add some depth!

From SI.COM
It's a disappointment for the Steelers, but one they can easily survive. When McFadden was hurt last year, the Steelers secondary didn't miss a beat. William Gay, the starter when McFadden was hurt, will replace McFadden as a starter, Deshea Townsend will be the nickel back and the Steelers will likely draft a cornerback to eventually replace Townsend and give Gay competition.

According to the Football Outsiders' game charters, Gay was the best cornerback in the league last year in yards allowed per attempt thrown his way, so he's not likely to be in over his head.

LatrobePA
03-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Gay is solid, but will have some learning to do as a full blown starter....I was woried about the move, but the more I think about it we will be fine....

Draft a young guy to do both return and cb...

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-09-2009, 09:27 AM
"the Steelers will likely draft a cornerback to eventually replace Townsend and give Gay competition."

That will be key right there...were gonna have to bring in somebody to challenge him and add depth to the CB position.I'm sure teams will be attacking our secondary right off the bat to see how Gay or whoever wins the job is gonna do.I still can't believe we let Bmac go for that cheap.

yinzer
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM
gay should be alright. he impressed me this past season.

Troyisabeast_43
03-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I wonder if they will now bring back Fernando Bryant to keep some veteran depth at cornerback in the secondary. It would seem like he would know the system now pretty being with the Steelers for over half of the season. Plus, he is a guy that has played in the league for nearly 10 years and has a lot of experience. Regardless of if they bring Bryant back or not I still think they need another veteran CB in there to give them more depth incase a guy like Ike or even Gay should go down at all. With that being said, I do expect them to draft a up and coming corner in definitely the 2nd maybe even the 1st round if he is available.

Silverback 92
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
we will hardly miss a step with a little time and experience under Gays belt

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Gay is solid, but will have some learning to do as a full blown starter....I was woried about the move, but the more I think about it we will be fine....

Draft a young guy to do both return and cb...

I agree! I loved this guy from day 1! He showed great promise his very first year and keeps getting better...while I'm disappointed with McFadden being gone, he will survive..Sad Ken picks up all our sloppy seconds...well not that McFadden is sloppy but you get the gist....I"m excited Gay will be steppin up!

SteelerRush
03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I am sad BMac is gone. 5mil/yr was too much to pay him for all the injuries he has had. He never really finished a season for us without injuries. However the progress Gay made last year and getting the opportunity to start several games will only help with his confidence. I agree Fernando Bryant should come back or grab another veteran from free agency. Also we will need to draft a CB probably by the third round.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Gay did do an admirable job last year, he will only get better. I wonder how far apart the sides were in talks to keep him in Pittsburgh. If the Rooney's don't think he's worth 5m per year then we should take that as a sign because they are usually spot on with the value of potential players.

I think Gay will do fine and Townsend is still more than capable to fill the nickle back spot. They won't use a day 1 pick on a DB but I do look for them to use a high day 2 pick on one if the situation presents itself. We'll be fine, it's not like we just lose Rod Woodson here or something so let's not get too crazy thinking BMac was a savior or something.

Troyisabeast_43
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I am sad BMac is gone. 5mil/yr was too much to pay him for all the injuries he has had. He never really finished a season for us without injuries. However the progress Gay made last year and getting the opportunity to start several games will only help with his confidence. I agree Fernando Bryant should come back or grab another veteran from free agency. Also we will need to draft a CB probably by the third round.

Love to see a guy like Leigh Bodden brought in here to fill the void and replace McFadden. I think that would be an excellent pickup. He is still out there and nobody has been knocking his door down by any means so I say if the right price is there to sign a guy like Bodden then I'm all for it...

SteelerRush
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Love to see a guy like Leigh Bodden brought in here to fill the void and replace McFadden. I think that would be an excellent pickup. He is still out there and nobody has been knocking his door down by any means so I say if the right price is there to sign a guy like Bodden then I'm all for it...
I don't think Chris McAllister would be a bad pick up here either. He is over thirty and if he doesn't find a home soon we could get him for a good price. We always can tell a veteran, hey you have an chance to win a SuperBowl with the Steelers. That is a big carrot to these guys. Thats how New England has been getting the good veterans for the past few years.

K Train
03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
bodden isnt getting offers cause hes ****ing garbage. overpriced and couldnt get a roster spot in detroit...do you know how bad detroits secondary is? ill pass, this is a deep corner class lets pass on the overpriced scrubs.

Troyisabeast_43
03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think Chris McAllister would be a bad pick up here either. He is over thirty and if he doesn't find a home soon we could get him for a good price. We always can tell a veteran, hey you have an chance to win a SuperBowl with the Steelers. That is a big carrot to these guys. Thats how New England has been getting the good veterans for the past few years.

I wouldnt mind seeing McAllister brought in here either. While he probably has lost a step, hes still a solid combo corner in both coverage and run support. But if McAllister is given a solid pass rush and good safeties like the Steelers most definitely have, he should be able to hold his own for a few more years in a backup role or even as potential fill in starting corner if injuries should arise.

Zachintosh66
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
this one is easy... THUMBS DOWN!

Louisville ran a smilar secondary system in college, so he picked up things pretty fast. He's a solid Nickel or Dimer, but not starter. He just isnt talented enuff.

K Train
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
this one is easy... THUMBS DOWN!

Louisville ran a smilar secondary system in college, so he picked up things pretty fast. He's a solid Nickel or Dimer, but not starter. He just isnt talented enuff.

every wr he covered last year might beg to differ

steelcitysfinestXL
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM

:plus1: Im not really sure which Will Gay dude was watching all year but he was solid to say the least... not to mention those four games he started: SD, CIN, @NE, DAL... he covered some DAMN good WR's. Top that off with the fact he made an *** of him self at the SB parade i'd say he fits right in!!!! I was a HUGE B-Mac fan, that being said Gay will be every bit as good as McFadden because he will be the starter this season... something Bryant could NEVER lock up and still wont at ARI.

Stairwayto7
03-09-2009, 05:23 PM

yeah I agree with K. He was a solid starter and played alot! He is the man, but we need a youngster to bring along!

HUNT4SEVEN
03-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Yo William Gay will be aight:yesnod:, he was solid when he had to fill in for McFadden those four games, i thought teams would pick on him, but he held his own:clap: i just hope we address the C.B position early in this draft, unless we can get another steal like William gay because he was an 5th round pick:yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I liked the pick of William Gay when it happened and he has done a fine job in his two years as a Steeler.......He never won't be a shut down type corner....But we don't need one in this system and he fits the tee in what a Steelers corner should be.....I have no worries about him being a starter...Gay will be solid starter for the Steelers.....But there is some depth concerns due to McFadden leaving and Townsend's age....

greennick
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM

I agree, Detroit had one of the worst pass rushes in the league and he was still servicable. Our D makes the CB's look better than they are, so it would be interesting to see how he would go. No doubt, you wouldn't be paying too much for him.

bodden isnt getting offers cause hes ****ing garbage. overpriced and couldnt get a roster spot in detroit...do you know how bad detroits secondary is? ill pass, this is a deep corner class lets pass on the overpriced scrubs.

Is he really overpriced? I wonder what kind of contract he will be after? You would think he wouldn't be able to demand much.

With Detroit's pass rush being so bad, it made their secondary look terrible. Maybe with a good secondary he could do alright.

I would only consider him for the right price though, I don't know what his expectations are.

Callax
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I've watched Gay since he was a rookie and he was looking good in preseason, I thought he would be a solid starter... He has done nothing to change my opinion. He will be solid and Pitt will get another corner in the draft or in F/A
As long as the injury bug doesn't come up and bite pitt in the a$$, we should be ok...

Stlrs4Life
03-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I think Gay will be ok, but like said we need depth. Will be interesting if we give Bodden a call.

greennick
03-11-2009, 06:45 AM

Yet somehow he got signed by the Pats. Must be real rubbish. We all know how useless they are at identifying FA talent that nobody else wanted.

Bodden was more than serviceable at the Browns until he got shipped to Detroit as part of a trade. I thought he would have been at least a good depth player in an area we needed depth, but it seems we didn't even approach him.

LatrobePA
03-11-2009, 09:16 AM
With a name like GAY you gotta be good!

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-11-2009, 10:43 AM
With a name like GAY you gotta be good!

lol yea, talk about a permanent chip on your shoulder.It could be alot worse,check out this guy's last name..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOTe2Dq9o1k

LatrobePA
03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
lol yea, talk about a permanent chip on your shoulder.It could be alot worse,check out this guy's last name..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOTe2Dq9o1k

LMAO! Classic!

K Train
03-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Yet somehow he got signed by the Pats. Must be real rubbish. We all know how useless they are at identifying FA talent that nobody else wanted.

Bodden was more than serviceable at the Browns until he got shipped to Detroit as part of a trade. I thought he would have been at least a good depth player in an area we needed depth, but it seems we didn't even approach him.

they have a very corner friendly system...keep in mind they just snatched up a few of our former bum *** DBs like chad scott and a few others over the years. he will be servicable but nothing spectacular. 750K deal is a joke, he must have really wanted to be a patriot for that kind of paycut. we obviously arent that concerned about corner depth especially with probably 15 corners with first day grades in the draft this year and chris carr coming in today....maybe you should write tomlin a letter and tell him to over pursue bum *** free agents cause everyone wants to do things just like the patriots, its not like the steelers have done things their own way for quite some time and had a little success or anything