PDA

View Full Version : Frank "The Tank" Summers???

BlackGold4vr
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
10 a.m.: The Steelers don't need a running back, right? I mean, that paltry 3.7-yard average and pathetic short-yardage package was the fault of the O-line? Or Bruce Arians? Or injuries to Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall, right? Well, a good coach concedes none of that and attacks the overall problem. That's why I was pleased to read about the Steelers' interest in Frank "The Tank" Summers.

The Steelers sent two scouts and running backs coach Kirby Wilson to host the UNLV Pro Day for 11 other teams the other day, and Summers, a 5-9 "bowling ball," was the star of the show by running a 4.55 40 and benching 225 pounds 30 times. The two Las Vegas papers differed on his weight, but he's in the 230 to 240-pound area.

Wilson told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Summers was "one of the most difficult guys to tackle that they've seen on film this year." And, of Summers' receiving ability, Wilson said: "You don't see that out of a big man much."

In the previous link to The Las Vegas Sun, a scout was overheard saying of Summers, "He's a junior Bus." But even though Summers wasn't invited to the combine, it appears he'll be drafted and follow a similar path to the NFL taken by another Oakland native, Marvel Smith. Both played for John Beam at legendary Skyline High School and both were recruited by nearby Cal. Smith, though, got away from the friends in his rough neighborood and attended Arizona State. Summers went to Cal, but left after a redshirt year to play at Laney Junior College before leaving for UNLV, where he rushed for 1,668 yards and caught 36 passes in two seasons.

"I can play fullback, tailback and special teams," Summers told reporters. "I can play defense if they need me there, too."

Sounds and reads like a fifth-rounder to me.

Where was this guy on Darniks board? Oh, thats right, the Steelers have no interest in bringing in any more RB's. So say the experts. Someone might need to tell the front office this news. Apparently they didn't get the memo! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1OFDMdMik

darnik44
03-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Where was this guy on Darniks board? Oh, thats right, the Steelers have no interest in bringing in any more RB's. So say the experts. Someone might need to tell the front office this news. Apparently they didn't get the memo! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1OFDMdMik

Where's he at on your board? Oh wait, you're a draft guru without a board. If you check the record, I said the Steelers would not bring in a RB whose sole purpose would be to return kicks. This kid is an actual running back and more than that a kid who could be a short yardage back and or fullback. He's not one dimentional like Thigpen will be as a pro.

BlackGold4vr
03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Where's he at on your board? Oh wait, you're a draft guru without a board. If you check the record, I said the Steelers would not bring in a RB whose sole purpose would be to return kicks. This kid is an actual running back and more than that a kid who could be a short yardage back and or fullback. He's not one dimentional like Thigpen will be as a pro.

Two short points:

1. I never claimed to be an expert. You did!

2. I have not critisized anyone elses thoughts including yours. You are the one who judges everybody else and craps on their ideas if they don't match yours.

Better throw this guy onto a couple mocks just to cover your six. :yellowthumb:

darnik44
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Two short points:

1. I never claimed to be an expert. You did!

2. I have not critisized anyone elses thoughts including yours. You are the one who judges everybody else and craps on their ideas if they don't match yours.

Better throw this guy onto a couple mocks just to cover your six. :yellowthumb:

1. Dude, I am who I am. Sorry if it upsets you that I've been a draftnik since 1989 and I run a draft site. I don't recall ever proclaiming anything by the way. If anything I only offered some background on myself. What do you want me to do?

2. If sharing my opinion and stating when I disagree with somebody is "judging everybody else and crapping on their ideas if they don't match mine," then I guess I'm guilty. I always thought message boards were for sharing opinions and debating things. I guess it doesn't work that way around here. Atleast not with the "Big Kahuna's."

BlitzburghNation
03-08-2009, 08:50 PM
:popcorn:

BlackGold4vr
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
1. Dude, I am who I am. Sorry if it upsets you that I've been a draftnik since 1989 and I run a draft site. I don't recall ever proclaiming anything by the way. If anything I only offered some background on myself. What do you want me to do?

Its not what you say, its how you say it. No doubt that this site is for sharing ideas and if we all agreed it would be boring. But you have a very condescending way that you say things. As I have said before there are plenty of people here at this site that did pretty well calling out the players the Steelers drafted before you were a member here. I don't care if you are a draftnik, good for you. Doesn't mean your opinions are weighted any more than anyone elses. Seems when anybody gives you a taste of your own medicine by critiquing one of your mocks all of a sudden you are throwing your credentials into the mix as if they give you carte blanche to critisize everybody else while yours are off limits. It don't work that way! :nono:

Iron City South
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Its not what you say, its how you say it. No doubt that this site is for sharing ideas and if we all agreed it would be boring. But you have a very condescending way that you say things. As I have said before there are plenty of people here at this site that did pretty well calling out the players the Steelers drafted before you were a member here. I don't care if you are a draftnik, good for you. Doesn't mean your opinions are weighted any more than anyone elses. Seems when anybody gives you a taste of your own medicine by critiquing one of your mocks all of a sudden you are throwing your credentials into the mix as if they give you carte blanche to critisize everybody else while yours are off limits. It don't work that way! :nono:

Oh for Christ sakes .... Bring out the Waaaaambulance, BG doesn't like the way you say things!

Flipping man up and grow a pair ... you have a guy here (darkik) that loves talking "draft" .... just enjoy the discussion and participate in it if you choose, or move the hell along. The guy never came here claiming to be some pro .... he's got an opinion just like everyone else does.

DCBill
03-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Here is some more info on Frank "the Tank" Summers.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71989&draftyear=2009&genpos=FB

I'd take him, certainly in the seventh, and maybe sooner.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
He has similar build as Maurice Jones Drew....Now I'm not claiming Frank the Tank will be as good....But I wouldn't mind the Steelers taking a shot at this guy in the 5th round if he is there.....Yes RB isn't a high need but injuries can always kill depth at RB.....This guy could be a goal line monster...

DCBill
03-18-2009, 12:17 AM
OK. So we don't miss out on "The Tank," let's go for for him at #32!

:-)

MillerTime83
03-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Look out Carey Davis your about to be cut. Thank God!!!

DCBill
03-18-2009, 11:44 PM
I've reconsidered.

Let's trade up in the first and get "Tank!"

BlackGold4vr
03-19-2009, 12:34 AM
He has similar build as Maurice Jones Drew....Now I'm not claiming Frank the Tank will be as good....But I wouldn't mind the Steelers taking a shot at this guy in the 5th round if he is there.....Yes RB isn't a high need but injuries can always kill depth at RB.....This guy could be a goal line monster...

This guy is bigger than Jones Drew but not quite as fast. Steeler scouts say from his films he is the hardest RB to bring down that they have seen this year. He also said he wouldn't mind playing FB so Im thinking good-bye Carey Davis! This guy can also catch the ball well coming out of the backfield. Can you imagine the favorable results of this guy hitting those CB's or safeties outweighing them by 40 pounds? I also like him in the 5th round! Did you watch the youtube clip in the first post in this thread? The dude is a beast!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-19-2009, 12:45 AM
This guy is bigger than Jones Drew but not quite as fast. Steeler scouts say from his films he is the hardest RB to bring down that they have seen this year. He also said he wouldn't mind playing FB so Im thinking good-bye Carey Davis! This guy can also catch the ball well coming out of the backfield. Can you imagine the favorable results of this guy hitting those CB's or safeties outweighing them by 40 pounds? I also like him in the 5th round! Did you watch the youtube clip in the first post in this thread? The dude is a beast!

I knew Jones-Drew was only 5-7 but I guess I never paid attention that he was only listed at 207 pounds...lol I guess I just figured he weighed more since he can be such a bitch to tackle at times...lol

I agree with you about Frank the Tank......

steelcityrockers
03-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Jones is listed at 207 but he plays normally around 215 or so.

DCBill
03-19-2009, 11:52 PM
We want Frank; we want Frank; we want Frank.......

Silverback
03-27-2009, 06:47 PM
The 5th round would be too high, most sites have him going in the seventh. Overall I definitely think this would be a great late round pick to see if he develops into anything. At the very least the guy says he'll do anything asked and would be a great special-teamer. Plus hes gotta be better than Davis right?

DCBill
03-28-2009, 10:47 PM
One of the mocks had us drafting "The Tank" in the fifth round.

I commented to the "author" and he got very positively animated Summers' talents, saying that he had just interviewed Summers.

The guy asked if I could get him the "Tank's" decleater hit in a high school game, when FS went down under a kickoff. I was able to find and send it.

steelcityrockers
03-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Hooray for pointless stories and unnecessary quotation marks! ("author" amongst many others, the hell?

THEcatch1043
03-29-2009, 12:20 AM
This guy was brought up to me a few weeks ago..and i looked into him...wow...very nice. Nothing against Davis, but "thanks for coming". I wouldnt mind him in the 4th/5th (especially since we have TWO 5th rd picks in a row). Even though we resigned McHugh and since he kinda took over as the starting FB...i think Summers would be prefect...and we could stilll use McHugh...and mix Summers in at RB/etc too. A lineup of Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell and Summers looks good to me!

DCBill
03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Steel City?

Get out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

I write a very successful blog, in the nation's capital, about financial serviecs matters, but I hardly would call myself an author,
ergo the quotes when I referred to the source of the emial.

Pointless?

I hear from a stranger--who does a draft blog and has Pittsbrugh taking Summers--and somehow it is "pointless," relative to the original post?

Chill out, Dude. No need to attack others because you're unhappy with something. It can't be me.

As Martin Blanke, played by John Cusack, told an antagoniost in the great "Grosse Point Blank" movie.

"You can't be mad at me, Bro, because there is no 'us.' "

K Train
03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
ok ive stayed quiet in this thread....this dude is going to be a bum, steelers wont take him because we have alot of RBs on the roster that i think could all start successfully for us. everytime someone sees someone who looks hard to tackle, they think bettis and then they think steelers smashmouth football rah rah bullshit. This guy has a great youtube video....but so do soooooooooooo many players, ill tell you who he reminds me of. Nate Ilaoa from hawaii 2 years ago, the eagles 7th round pick....this video is awesome but he couldnt even get playing time in the preseason taking snaps from timmy chang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

just sayin

MillerTime83
03-30-2009, 07:37 PM
ok ive stayed quiet in this thread....this dude is going to be a bum, steelers wont take him because we have alot of RBs on the roster that i think could all start successfully for us. everytime someone sees someone who looks hard to tackle, they think bettis and then they think steelers smashmouth football rah rah bullshit. This guy has a great youtube video....but so do soooooooooooo many players, ill tell you who he reminds me of. Nate Ilaoa from hawaii 2 years ago, the eagles 7th round pick....this video is awesome but he couldnt even get playing time in the preseason taking snaps from timmy chang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

just sayin

I followed Hawaii when they had this guy. He was pretty good, but he dosent bring the pass catching aspect that summers dose.

DCBill
04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
B&G4ever--

BTW. Belated congratulations to you for identifying Frank Summers, enduring the naysayers, and then having your judgment affirmed when the Steelers invited him for one of their 30 precious visits.

They may not take (I hope they do), but somebody will and your primary point was, "This guy can play in the NFL." Kudos.

K Train
04-04-2009, 05:03 PM
yeah i dont know why you would bring in someone who will most likely go undrafted

DCBill
04-04-2009, 05:21 PM
My question is, "Can these pro teams 'work out" these potential dfraftees when they come for their visit, or is it just to meet and greet the kids and see how they conduct themselevs in a room full of adults?

I asked this question of a few media folks and still don't have a definitie answer. But, the way some of these articles are written it would seem to be that the answer is, "Yes, they can."

K Train
04-04-2009, 06:56 PM
they can hold private workouts and they can send scouts out to work out players....only 30 can visit the steelers facility though