PDA

View Full Version : Six Reasons The Pittsburgh Steelers Will Win The AFC North

Phenomenal TJ
03-08-2009, 12:53 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/135813-...-the-afc-norths (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/135813-six-reasons-the-pittsburgh-steelers-will-win-the-afc-norths)

1. The Defense

Alright, so this was pretty obvious. The number one defense in the league last year returns missing only one starter as of the writing of this article and that is starting cornerback Bryant McFadden. No one has signed him yet even though teams have interviewed him so there is still an opportunity for him to return to Pittsburgh.

The Steelers defense proved that they could stop any kind of offense, a run first team like the San Diego Chargers or a high flying passing offense like the Indianapolis Colts.

Pittsburgh simply has studs all over the defensive side of the ball, including the reigning Defensive Player Of The Year, outside linebacker James Harrison.

Not to mention the best defensive mind in the National Football League today, Dick LeBeau coaching them and constantly coming up with new looks and new blitzes.

2. Ben Roethlisberger.

Is there any quarterback in the league that is as clutch as Big Ben is in the fourth quarter? Alright, you can chalk some of that up to the defense keeping them in close games but you have to give the man credit.

He is hands down the toughest quarterback in the league. With the size and mobility he possesses he has all of the physical attributes to completely take over a game. The reason he doesn't is his decision making.

Sometimes you'll see him holding onto the ball too long, or forcing a pass that simply is not there.

At the end of the day though, no one in Pittsburgh expects Ben Roethlisberger to put up stellar numbers, we just expect him to win the game. He does that by perfectly managing the game for us.

When he's healthy, I'd take him before all but a few quarterbacks.

3. Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward.

Holmes and Ward are a receiving duo that exhibits the perfect balance of speed, athleticism, body control and field awareness.

Holmes has been under Ward's wing since 2006 and blossomed last year, eventually winning Super Bowl MVP.

Hines Ward is getting older and he was never the fastest receiver in the league but his hands are nothing short of phenomenal and he always seems to get up with a smile on his face. That really irritates the defense. That is not even mentioning his blocking ability, which are the best I have seen from a receiver in a long time if ever.

Heath Miller can both catch the ball and protect the ball carrier. He's got above average speed for a tight end as well, and holds a Heinz Field reception record for longest reception.

He does not seem to get a lot of recognition but that's what the Steelers are all about, the organization is blue collar from top to bottom.

4. Willie Parker.

A shocker I know and I know I may be going out on a limb on this one. But, assuming that he does not have an injury plagued season, I see him returning to old form. Or as much as he can after breaking his leg.

He showed everyone glimpses of 'Fast Willie' in the playoffs this past year and I am looking forward to seeing him as he used to be.

5. The AFC North.

The only real threat to the Steelers in their division is the Baltimore Ravens. The Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals are coming off seasons that I would classify as only pathetic.

6. Draft Success.

From 2000 until this past draft the Steelers have had only two first round selections not be a full time starter. Those two are Lawrence Timmons and Rashard Mendenhall. I will go out on a limb here and say that nearly all Steelers fans feel that Timmons should be starting over Larry Foote.

Other names on this list include Plaxico Burress (2000), Casey Hampton (2001), Kendall Simmons (2002), Troy Polamalu (2003), Ben Roethlisberger (2004), Heath Miller (2005) and Santonio Holmes (2006.)

As you can see nearly all of these players are still starters on the Steelers this coming year.

I could trace the Steelers draft success back to the 1974 draft where they selected 4 Hall Of Fame players in 5 picks but that is another story for another day.

yinzer
03-08-2009, 11:09 AM
i hate when people use Ben and the term "game manager" in the same sentence. nice article though.

Phenomenal TJ
03-09-2009, 06:32 PM
i hate when people use Ben and the term "game manager" in the same sentence. nice article though.

In essence he is though. He's incredibly clutch but as of now he's not an elite quarterback.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take him over any quarterback not named Tom Brady but he's not the best of the best right now. He has all of the tools to get there though, just needs to settle down a little bit and have some more confidence.

Dean Denton
03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I'll give you one reason, and its glaringly obvious...They are better then the other three teams. Not by a little, but by a massive margin. The Steelers are a complete team from Head coach to place kicker. Other then a shacky OL, the Steelers are a bad *** football team. Anything short of another AFCN title and I will be extremely pissed off. I expect it, and I am sure of it. Mark it down, they will repeat as AFCN champs. Winning the superbowl is something else though.

dawgs
03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I'll give you 1 reason

there the best team... Do you really need 6 reasons... are you trying to convince yourself? I think everybody knows this.

Dean Denton
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I'll give you 1 reason

there the best team... Do you really need 6 reasons... are you trying to convince yourself? I think everybody knows this.dawgs have I told you that I love you yet today? Because if your going to copy and paste whatever I say then I am going to maybe let you borrow my underwear for the weekend. If you want to walk and talk like the big dawg, Dirty Dean Denton, then just PM me and we will get you set up on the road to the glamorous life. I love you man, and I dont care what everone here says about you. Hey, and if it still burns when you pee, rub some lemon juice on that bad boy...xoxoxoxoxo

dawgs
03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
dawgs have I told you that I love you yet today? Because if your going to copy and paste whatever I say then I am going to maybe let you borrow my underwear for the weekend. If you want to walk and talk like the big dawg, Dirty Dean Denton, then just PM me and we will get you set up on the road to the glamorous life. I love you man, and I dont care what everone here says about you. Hey, and if it still burns when you pee, rub some lemon juice on that bad boy...xoxoxoxoxo

I did not read anyone's comments other then the main one. So If I copied what you said, then congrats for being right.

Callax
03-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I could trace the Steelers draft success back to the 1974 draft where they selected 4 Hall Of Fame players in 5 picks but that is another story for another day.

Sorry to nit pick, but this statement is not quite right... It is 4 HOF'ers in 4 picks..
that year (1974) Pitt had no 3rd round pick and were worried if stallworth would drop that far,
1st round swann... 2nd round lambert... no 3rd round 4th round stallworth
5th round webster, F/A donnie shell (should be in HOF!!) 1st TRUE safety to get 50 int in a career, not a converted CB who slowed down and went to safety
STEELER BIAS IN HOF!!!!!

yinzer
03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
In essence he is though. He's incredibly clutch but as of now he's not an elite quarterback.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take him over any quarterback not named Tom Brady but he's not the best of the best right now. He has all of the tools to get there though, just needs to settle down a little bit and have some more confidence.

ben being the "best of the best" is moot. we could all argue and debate that until cleveland wins a superbowl. ben is THE BEST at winning. that's all we should care about. stats are a terrible indicator of success. as far as ben being elite or not... # of wins and rings say it all. he's elite. it's not an opinion. it's just the way it is.

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 07:22 PM
ben being the "best of the best" is moot. we could all argue and debate that until cleveland wins a superbowl. ben is THE BEST at winning. that's all we should care about. stats are a terrible indicator of success. as far as ben being elite or not... # of wins and rings say it all. he's elite. it's not an opinion. it's just the way it is.
Thats right damn it! I love to quote Tomlin when I say, to much goes into style pionts. Ben might not look good passing for the entire game, but he's been a sexy bitch when we need him to be. No one has better stats when the game is on the line, and thoughs are the stats that get remembered. How is Marino Remembered? Greatest QB to never win a SB, thats how. notice its not greatest QB of all time????? think about it.

Andalusi
03-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Thats right damn it! I love to quote Tomlin when I say, to much goes into style pionts. Ben might not look good passing for the entire game, but he's been a sexy bitch when we need him to be. No one has better stats when the game is on the line, and thoughs are the stats that get remembered. How is Marino Remembered? Greatest QB to never win a SB, thats how. notice its not greatest QB of all time????? think about it.

I have to say I agree, Ben really does come through when we need him to and at that point he really is a hell of a sexy bitch. Doesn't do him any good to have great stats and not win.