PDA

View Full Version : TE and WR

DCBill
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
The Steelers likely will draft a WR, to complement their "practice squad" players, as they try and fidn a replacement for washington; and frankly, a blocking TE who might replace Spaeth.

The TE "class" is not very deep, but there are a lot of kids in the 6'5", 255 pounds and more, who primarty skill is blocking and then receiving. (Kevin Brock, Rutgers; Bear Pasco, Fresno State; and Brian Mandevill,e Northeastern).

I look for the Steelers to invest a sixth round pick there.

There are a few "bullet fast" WRs, who also return kicks (Johnny Knox, Abilene Christian, and Mike Thomas, Arizona). A comp pick or a seventh here.

steelcityrockers
03-05-2009, 09:49 PM
For the record, Mike Thomas is my official draft Man-Crush

He is very quick and would be a good slot guy. His stature worries me quite a bit (5'8'') but he is pretty well built for a guy his size (195 lbs.) His upside is kinda limited due mostly to his size, but he is very elusive. He runs good routes, and generally can make the catch but will have concentration lapses.Obviously, with his size, he has some trouble beating the jam. He is a competitor who gets the most out of what he has. I would expect to be gone y the 5th round. Finished as the Pac-10's all time leader in receptions. He projects like Bobby Wade (Minnesota Vikings) in the pros, a very solid slot guy who does the dirty work. Won't be a star on your team, but will help you out in a variety of ways

darnik44
03-05-2009, 10:59 PM
For the record, Mike Thomas is my official draft Man-Crush

He is very quick and would be a good slot guy. His stature worries me quite a bit (5'8'') but he is pretty well built for a guy his size (195 lbs.) His upside is kinda limited due mostly to his size, but he is very elusive. He runs good routes, and generally can make the catch but will have concentration lapses.Obviously, with his size, he has some trouble beating the jam. He is a competitor who gets the most out of what he has. I would expect to be gone y the 5th round. Finished as the Pac-10's all time leader in receptions. He projects like Bobby Wade (Minnesota Vikings) in the pros, a very solid slot guy who does the dirty work. Won't be a star on your team, but will help you out in a variety of ways

I'm with you on Mike Thomas. Think Eddie Royal, IMO. Best part is he very well could be there in the 3rd.

DCBill
03-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I hope he's as good as you guys claim, but--given other needs, like OL and DL, possibly CB--would you use a thrid on a returner/WR?

Didn't we do that with the kid from Florida (?), two years ago, who never made it on the field??

K Train
03-06-2009, 08:00 PM
thomas is sick, but yes any of the top 3 picks could be a WR depending on whos available.

willie reid was from FSU and he did suck, but that happens when you roll the dice on a return man sometimes

DCBill
03-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the name and the correct school for "Willie Reid," whom I totally had forgotten.

I am putting together a list of players who appear "talented," but unlikely to get drafted in the first three rounds.

The Steelers used to "get fat" with these kids and undrafted FAs.

I'm a "Pitt guy," but have been very impressed with the quality of players coming out of the University of Maryland. There are three or four--beyond the WR Bey--who I hope still are around when we pick in Rd 4, or if we have a "comp" between 4 and 5.