PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich

steelers4life66
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Has anyone herd anything about Byron. I thought for sure he'd get an offer from another team. Steelers only gave him a one year contact, right?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Byron isn't going to be offered a starting job anywhere. There's no market for him right now even as a fill in as far as I can tell. Teams that did have potential QB issues like Detroit or KC have been working on them or have solved them already. Byron will more than likely come back to be the 2nd string to Ben and Batch will retire or maybe come on aboard as an assistant. That's my :2cents:

Steel Trap86
03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
yea, one year deal. KC went after Cassell, but the Bears, 49ers and Vikings still have yet to make a move at QB. I think Lefty might wind up in Chicago or even back with the Steelers as the #2.

steelers4life66
03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Byron isn't going to be offered a starting job anywhere. There's no market for him right now even as a fill in as far as I can tell. Teams that did have potential QB issues like Detroit or KC have been working on them or have solved them already. Byron will more than likely come back to be the 2nd string to Ben and Batch will retire or maybe come on aboard as an assistant. That's my :2cents:

I'd like to see Byron stay on as our backup QB. I thought he was good enough that another team might pick him up.

Troyisabeast_43
03-05-2009, 04:45 PM
yea, one year deal. KC went after Cassell, but the Bears, 49ers and Vikings still have yet to make a move at QB. I think Lefty might wind up in Chicago or even back with the Steelers as the #2.

The Vikings went out and traded for Sage Rosenfals from the Texans last week to compete with Tavaris Jackson for their starting QB job so you can scratch them off the list. The Bears and Niners are still two possiblities but I dont think at this point either team will sign Leftwich. The odds are starting to look a lot better then they were let's say a month ago that Lefty will be back as the backup QB for the Steelers in 2009 and maybe beyond which in my opinion is definitely not a bad thing...

Dean Denton
03-05-2009, 04:48 PM
The Vikings went out and traded for Sage Rosenfals from the Texans last week to compete with Tavaris Jackson for their starting QB job so you can scratch them off the list. The Bears and Niners are still two possiblities but I dont think at this point either team will sign Leftwich. The odds are starting to look a lot better then they were let's say a month ago that Lefty will be back as the backup QB for the Steelers in 2009 and maybe beyond which in my opinion is definitely not a bad thing...
I think your right, but I kinda would like to get a good draft pick for him.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I think your right, but I kinda would like to get a good draft pick for him.

Agreed..We are pretty set in the QB rotation without him..Batch will be back 100% and him and Dixon can battle it our for the 2 or 3 spot. If we could get a good trade or draft pick outta Leftwhich then i'm all for it.He proved he can still play at a high level in this league and i'd love to see him do good out in San Fran or wherever he'd end up.I still think Jville might be kickin themselves for giving up on him so fast.

K Train
03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
batch wont be back....

Stairwayto7
03-05-2009, 05:07 PM

TG! Whats wrong with you! Scalalid said that he could start for 16 teams! I know he is better than brady quinn!:imho:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-05-2009, 05:26 PM
batch wont be back....

You saying this if Leftwhich returns? If Byron comes back then i can see Batch would be gone...but if someone Bites on Byron..why wouldn't Batch come back?...dude would take the league minimum to stay with us..he's already said many times he doesn't want to leave the Steeler organization.

Dean Denton
03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
You saying this if Leftwhich returns? If Byron comes back then i can Batch gone...but if someone Bites on Byron..why wouldn't Batch come back?...dude would take the league minimum to stay with us..he's already said many times he doesn't want to leave the Steeler organization. Yeah i cant see him coming back. He's better then a back up and there are places he can start. Bears, Bucs, 49ers, Browns, Cowboys..lol There are lots of teams that could use him. and he can play.....I think he goes. Unless he really likes being a back up, and if thats the case....Do we want a guy that doesn't want to be more then just a back up? You cant hurt Ben, so he's never going to play except in some blows we throw him in at the end.

Stairwayto7
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
League minimum for a vet is pretty high! But he knows the system, and seems to have a ggod relationship with Ben! Byron I fear wants to start so bad that this could cause some issues

Dean Denton
03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
League minimum for a vet is pretty high! But he knows the system, and seems to have a ggod relationship with Ben! Byron I fear wants to start so bad that this could cause some issues
Let them fight it out in a cage...Who do you think wins that?

Troyisabeast_43
03-05-2009, 05:44 PM

I thought we werent allowed to discuss what you do at night behind closed doors with your women on this site Dean...Cmon bro you gotta know better then that lol...

Stairwayto7
03-05-2009, 05:47 PM

I know who wins! I just think at that point Batch would be the better team player, and more willing to bring a long a young Dennis Dixon!

Dean Denton
03-05-2009, 05:54 PM
I thought we werent allowed to discuss what you do at night behind closed doors with your women on this site Dean...Cmon bro you gotta know better then that lol...
I thought it was only when I got my *** kicked that I couldn't talk about it. TG said that if I get spanked or punished I can bust up any thread to share my experience....lol

steelers4life66
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Do we want a guy that doesn't want to be more then just a back up?

We have one now. Batch doesn't want to be a starter. He's happy where he's at.

Dean Denton
03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
We have one now. Batch doesn't want to be a starter. He's happy where he's at. Batch is a Pittsburgh native with family there and is in the twilight of his career. Lefty is in his athletic prime. Little different.

SteelerRush
03-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I think Byron can lead our team if we can't block for Ben and he gets injured. I say bring him back for another year and hopefully we have our O-line set by then. I think Batch should retire or he should be released. Dixon has potential but is not ready to be number 2. Byron is not getting any serious looks in FA, so why not bring him back he is younger then Batch and he gets along with Ben. :imho:

Dean Denton
03-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I think Byron can lead our team if we can't block for Ben and he gets injured. I say bring him back for another year and hopefully we have our O-line set by then. I think Batch should retire or he should be released. Dixon has potential but is not ready to be number 2. Byron is not getting any serious looks in FA, so why not bring him back he is younger then Batch and he gets along with Ben. :imho:
Hey god damn it, dont go sticking forks in Batch just because he got hurt. I love him man....I love you toobut dont say that ever again.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Should have traded him to Dallas ,hell they traded for Kitna....lol

SteelerRush
03-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I like Batch too, but he is getting old and Byron just has more to offer at this point. I am sure Batch can still be someones backup. He's been good for Ben.

Callax
03-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I can see in a year or two that batch retires and becomes a coach, he might stay with pitt that way... but dixon will be a #2 or #3, depending if batch or byron resign...
leftwich could start for at least 12 other teams and be pretty good...
In pitt, he would have a good thing going just like batch has or had....

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2009, 11:06 PM

I agree, I think we can keep him for another season.

Silverback 92
03-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Still surprised Lefty didnt hear from vikes ,but bears would be a good fit also

stLlRfn14
03-06-2009, 02:58 AM
I thought about leftwich and saw what he did as a starter for the jags and falcons. He was descent for the jags and then dropped off for the falcons(although hurt most of the time still didnt do well when he did play). I think he will come back because he just won a SB here and even though he was the back up i think that he is the perfect fit for us at the #2 while dixon will improve more and more and eventually take over the #2 at some point. I say batch just retire and become a QB coach.

Lunchbucket
03-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I thought Byron played outstanding in relief for us last season.My question is,Where is the intrest from other teams who need a wiley vet QB with a cannon for an arm? If no intrest is shown,it's pointless to guess what draft picks or trades we could deal for. Surely other teams have a need that he immediately would fill.

Steelers Proud
03-06-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm still shocked that no one has tried to sign Leftwich. I thought that he would be long gone by now, same with McFadden. As far as I know Leftwich hasn't even visited another team and McFadden hasn't visited another team since the Cardinals. I didn't think we had a shot of signing either one at the beginning of free agency but there is a real possiblility of signing both. If that happens I would like to see Batch end up as coach for the Steelers. I know Ken Anderson is the QB coach but I would love to see him stay around in some capacity. If someone does sign Leftwich I would love to see Batch sign again as a backup. I think that the Harrison deal has to get done first to see where we are cap wise before we approach any other of our free agents.:2cents:

Dean Denton
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm still shocked that no one has tried to sign Leftwich. I thought that he would be long gone by now, same with McFadden. As far as I know Leftwich hasn't even visited another team and McFadden hasn't visited another team since the Cardinals. I didn't think we had a shot of signing either one at the beginning of free agency but there is a real possiblility of signing both. If that happens I would like to see Batch end up as coach for the Steelers. I know Ken Anderson is the QB coach but I would love to see him stay around in some capacity. If someone does sign Leftwich I would love to see Batch sign again as a backup. I think that the Harrison deal has to get done first to see where we are cap wise before we approach any other of our free agents.:2cents: I think some teams are waiting to see what kind of draft day trades they can make. Maybe... I really cant see Lefty staying here. There will be a team that comess calling for him. I would be shocked to see the Bears, Bucs or 49ers not show any interset in him. I think there are a few other teams as well. Browns come to mind too.

$teelersRule
03-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I think some teams are waiting to see what kind of draft day trades they can make. Maybe... I really cant see Lefty staying here. There will be a team that comess calling for him. I would be shocked to see the Bears, Bucs or 49ers not show any interset in him. I think there are a few other teams as well. Browns come to mind too.

it would not be a trade because he only signed for one season so if anyone picks him up we get nothing in return... basically all im saying is he is a free agent haha im an idiot :lol:

lloydfan4life
03-07-2009, 04:23 AM
it would not be a trade because he only signed for one season so if anyone picks him up we get nothing in return... basically all im saying is he is a free agent haha im an idiot :lol:

Dude, you're not an idiot! You're a valued member of the SA Family. Tim Lumber.... Now HE'S an idiot!! :lol:

$teelersRule
03-07-2009, 05:56 PM
thanks man! :yellowthumb: i said it because i was dragging the point out so long for no reason at all hahah

Steel Trap86
03-07-2009, 06:22 PM
The Niners are interested in Mark Sanchez out of USC, he's a lot younger then Lefty and has been playing at a pro-level. I think they will get him. So this leaves the Bears.....

Mark B.
03-07-2009, 08:03 PM
The Bears could be a decent fit for Byron. They are a little weak in the receiving dept but Olsen is a good TE and Forte will be a beast. The NFC North is pretty wide open. I was never a big Lefty fan but he did showed up and did well at his job this year. What more can you ask for? I wish him the best whether he stays here or not, he is a World Champion and I am proud of him for turning his career around.