PDA

View Full Version : White: ‘I would love to be a Pittsburgh Steeler’

JensK
03-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Former West Virginia quarterback Pat White was in-house Tuesday at the NFL Network and NFL.com, taping segments to go on the Network and chatting live with fans online.

Talking with White in the “Green Room” before, after and during our chat brought out a few interesting points. One, he said that he wants to remain at quarterback and during his interviews with teams, he estimates that only two of the 32 NFL teams are giving him serious consideration at the position. Two, if there’s one team White is hoping will take him, that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers (White comes from a Steelers family — in Alabama). Three, he will work some at receiver during his pro day workouts.

White is training at Velocity Sports Performance in Irvine, Calif., with around 20 other NFL hopefuls, including USC’s Mark Sanchez, Purdue’s Curtis Painter, Fresno State’s Tom Brandstater and Nate Brown of Central Arkansas. He’s in a two month program there leading up to his pro day on March 12.

Here’s a look at the various Pro Day workout dates.

Be on the lookout tonight for White on NFL Network Total Access (7 p.m. ET). He orchestrates a QB route-running demonstration with Rich Eisen, Terrell Davis and Warren Sapp.

AZ_Steeler
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Why would he want to be a Steeler if he wants to remain a QB? Does he think he's good enough to take Big Ben's job? I think not... if he does wear the black n gold it will definitely be as a WR and NOT QB!

K Train
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
hes really become accepting as to being a WR/wildcat player....if not he'll lose millions of dollars. he showed he had a big arm and good speed at the combone now hes gonna do wr drills at the pro day...good for him

Thomas_43
03-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm a White fan. Have been since I went to WVU. I'd love to see him in a Steeler uniform. Hopefully he does well at his pro day.

K Train
03-04-2009, 04:27 PM
if he absolutely wants to be a QB he will be a 5th round pick....if he is willing to move to WR at least part time as a verstile player that can line up out wide or in the backfield he will be a 2nd round pick....its up to him, i guarantee we arent one of those 2 teams looking at him at QB cause we drafted dixon who is him except 2 inches taller

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
if he absolutely wants to be a QB he will be a 5th round pick....if he is willing to move to WR at least part time as a verstile player that can line up out wide or in the backfield he will be a 2nd round pick....its up to him, i guarantee we arent one of those 2 teams looking at him at QB cause we drafted dixon who is him except 2 inches taller

Agreed...he doesn't fit into our system..we need a traditional WR with some return skills.I liked Pat White in college and he'll be a good pick up for someone just not us. I can't wait till preseason just to watch Dixon run the offense again...think there may be a chance he beats out Batch for the number 2 spot? Batch has had that spot on lock down since he's been here( minus injury) and has done real well... but the offense is just much more dynamic with Dixon.

SteelerRush
03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't see it happening unless he is still there in the later rounds. We need O-line a receiver can wait till the later rounds.

steelcityrockers
03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't want him. Dixon is just the athlete he is and is a much much better quarterback.

SteelerRush
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Dixon looked good in the preseason last year. I look for him to battle for the number 2 spot behind Ben this year.

K Train
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Agreed...he doesn't fit into our system..we need a traditional WR with some return skills.I liked Pat White in college and he'll be a good pick up for someone just not us. I can't wait till preseason just to watch Dixon run the offense again...think there may be a chance he beats out Batch for the number 2 spot? Batch has had that spot on lock down since he's been here( minus injury) and has done real well... but the offense is just much more dynamic with Dixon.

well if leftwich returns hes the backup for sure, if not i expect dixon to take it from batch who really really sucks at this point in his career

steelcityrockers
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Batch basically plays the Ken Dorsey role as a QB coach who happens to be on the 53 man roster. His physical limitations are such that, despite his masterful knowledge of the playbook, the play calling would have to be seriously restricted.

H3INZFI3LDST33L
03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
If the Steelers wouldn't have drafted Dennis Dixon last year, I think they would draft Pat White this year. Double-D practiced against the Steelers D as a Joshua Cribbs when they played Cleveland. I will be SHOCKED if we don't see Dixon running the Wildcat next season.

Picture this:

Dixon in shotgun, Mendenhall as sidecar.
Santonio or Willie at right slot, Hines at left slot.
Heath tight on the left, Ben out wide to the right.

Could be set up as a sweep to Willie or Santonio.
Could be a double pass with Hines or Ben.
Could be an option pass with Hines.
Could be an inside hand off to Heath.
Could be a reverse or double reverse.
Could be a hand off to Mendenhall.
Could be a QB keeper with Dixon.
Could be a pass.

That's a lot of speed and talent on the field.
But the question is....is Bruce Arians this smart...?

DCBill
03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
He's versastile and an athlete; we could find a spot for him.

if the's there when we draft in Round 3, I take him.

(Also, think about our "comp" pick for Faneca, likely between Rounds 3 and 4. Because if White is there at #96, he could be there when we exercise that "extra" choice, i.e #97, #98, #99 or #100.)

Dean Denton
03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
He's versastile and an athlete; we could find a spot for him.

if the's there when we draft in Round 3, I take him.

(Also, think about our "comp" pick for Faneca, likely between Rounds 3 and 4. Because if White is there at #96, he could be there when we exercise that "extra" choice, i.e #97, #98, #99 or #100.)
We have Dixon, we dont need him.

Thomas_43
03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
You guys all talk Dixon up and he hasn't even proved he can play at the nfl level. We drafted him late because he was coming off a torn MCL and had some upside. White is a much more proven player than Dixon in my opinion. 4 Bowl wins. A starter ALL 4 years. White didn't get benched for Brady ****ing Leaf........If per chance the Steelers did draft White, I personally think ole Dixon would be looking for a job.

K Train
03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
i dunno, i think dixon is pretty nasty

steelcityrockers
03-04-2009, 08:48 PM
You guys all talk Dixon up and he hasn't even proved he can play at the nfl level. We drafted him late because he was coming off a torn MCL and had some upside. White is a much more proven player than Dixon in my opinion. 4 Bowl wins. A starter ALL 4 years. White didn't get benched for Brady ****ing Leaf........If per chance the Steelers did draft White, I personally think ole Dixon would be looking for a job.

Erm, neither has White.

White was a good collegiate player but I really hate him as a pro QB. Dixon has the same skill set as him, only more accurate and a lot bigger arm.

Thomas_43
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Well, when White makes an Impact as an NFL player and Dixson is staring at Ben's *** from the Bench, you'll see that White has the better skill set.

K Train
03-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, when White makes an Impact as an NFL player and Dixson is staring at Ben's *** from the Bench, you'll see that White has the better skill set.

no you will see that he got drafted as a wildcat player for the dolphins or some **** like that and hes only good for the occasional gimmick play while dixon gets spot duty for 2 or 3 years and some team gives us a second round pick for our backup QB....

cassel, shaub.....it happens, and dixon can ball....he was a legit 2nd rounder if he didnt get hurt and second rounders are expected to be able to be starting players

DCBill
03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
To clarify, if we draft White, it is for his versatility, a la Randle El.

Unless, we don't re-sign Charlie Batch or Leftwich and then would need him as a third QB.

But, if White becomes a Steeler, he gets tried out as a WR, return man, and "emergency fourth QB."

Callax
03-04-2009, 10:20 PM
To clarify, if we draft White, it is for his versatility, a la Randle El.

Unless, we don't re-sign Charlie Batch or Leftwich and then would need him as a third QB.

But, if White becomes a Steeler, he gets tried out as a WR, return man, and "emergency fourth QB."

He could be a good versatile wr like randle El, but he won't start at qb until all are out, ben is the starter period!
batch is solid #2, unless he's replaced at #2 by dennis dixon, which is very possible
I doubt leftwich will be here next year, he's good enough to start for 10 teams, minnesota would be great for him

darnik44
03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I know drafting Pat White is highly unlikely. I know he wouldn't exactly fit into their plans either. But I love Pat White, love his potetial, and would love to see him as a Steeler.

Chances are he'll be drafted between picks 45-55. So this means the Steelers would have to make a move to get him. 99% chance he won't be a Steeler. I'd love it though. They would just have to create a role for him. That would create a new dimention.