PDA

View Full Version : How long can we keep James Harrison?

steelersbabex25
03-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Harrisons contract is going to be up in 2010, and rumor has it that he's looking for Big Ben/Albert Haynesworth type money. Knowing the Rooneys, I think the chance he'll be getting that money is slim to none..if he plays well this year we better hope he's willing to settle for a little less.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-02-2009, 07:34 PM
He basically gets to name his price dude is a 2 tie team MVP and a league Def. POY in his two seasons as a starter... and Hayneworth got $100 mil. You can bet if he wants the money some one will give him a FAT 4 or 5 yea deal to equal what Hayneworth makes per year. Our only saving grace is that he is not as young as his experince would lead on.

Dean Denton
03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
No way does this team pay him that type of $$$$. The Steelers are too good at finding the next stud LB to be dishing out that much $$$. Yes Harrison is a stud, but in 2 years he's going to be 32 or 33 and he wont get that much. He'll get let go like Porter did, and that will be that. He will need to be like Farrior and take less money.

LarryNJ
03-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I think they work out a deal this year. He will be rewarded for the last 2 years, but it won't be anywhere near Haynesworth money. He has been the bargin of the NFL the last 2 years.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Why would the Steelers give Harrison that much?......I like James Harrison a ton and he is a very good player.....But our system is tailored to OLB making plays.......He isn't worth that kind of money and especially at his age......I say this if doesn't want to sign the deal the Steelers offer then they could always franchise him next year and the year after if need be....If he wants to hold out then let him throw a year away at this stage in his career.....That would be real stupid considering his age......The Steelers have Harrison by the balls really.....

Stairwayto7
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
First, he isn`t really young. Second we have Timmons waiting in the wings! Third we could give him a longer than larger contract, knowing he cant play that long!

TEEMONT
03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
First, he isn`t really young. Second we have Timmons waiting in the wings! Third we could give him a longer than larger contract, knowing he cant play that long!

Timmons is an ILB. If something happened to Harrison, I would be willing to bet Bruce Davis would be the one who would get a shot.

K Train
03-02-2009, 11:40 PM
bg32 said it right, the steelers have him by the balls, either way hes gonna bank. franchise tag is big money. i think they will get him signed up to finish up his career here, that dpoy award drove up the cost though, the cowboys breathed a sigh of relief when he got it over ware. they could easily franchise him 2 years in a row and then he would be old enough to be expendable. he would never command haynesworth type money, thats not the market value for him.

btw hanyesworth will see $48 million of that $100 million contract and not a penny more. it was basically a 4 years $48 million contract and then they can offer him a new deal or cut him, $12 million a year is alot but not as much as advertised.

igor0190
03-03-2009, 12:23 AM
You have to factor in that the Steelers can not gve him a new deal and he will make somewhere around 2M next year. Then they franchise him and he gets say 9M. To be fair he should get something in the range of 5 years 40M... IMO...

What would you sign him to if you were the Steelers?

K Train
03-03-2009, 01:16 AM
7 or 8 a year....he has made **** money compared to those who are as good as him his whole career....he has not taken the easy road to being a star player and he deserves about 7 or 8, or even a 3 year deal with a decent signing bonus. the man made 2 probowls, 2 team MVP, 1 superbowl record, 1 DPOY and the guy never missed a special teams play.....thats not only ****ing incredible, but for a linebacker with his credentials to even consider being on the special teams squad amazes me. the man has truly earned anything he gets hes a real team player

Koopa
03-03-2009, 01:17 AM
while i want harrison here forever, i don't want them to pay him that type of money cause we still gonna have woodley to worry about pretty soon, and to me he's top priority on this defense

K Train
03-03-2009, 01:45 AM
while i agree....i also think that they have to give harrison what he deserves, its almost not right not too. he has way outplayed his current contract. this is supposed to be a "what have you done for me lately" league and hes done an awful lot. i really have no doubts they will get a deal done, 2-3 years and then we can worry about woodley 2 years down the road

Koopa
03-03-2009, 03:21 AM
i agree he does deserve a nice pay raise, but haynesworth money?? haynesworth ain't even worth haynesworth money..........

DIESELMAN
03-03-2009, 07:37 AM
3rd proposal between Steelers and Harrison.....

The $100 million free-agent contract given to defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth by the Washington Redskins hasn't affected negotiations between the Steelers and linebacker James Harrison. Yet, Harrison's representative is "disappointed" by the lack of progress toward a long-term contract extension for his client.

"We're struggling with this," agent Bill Parise said Monday morning. "We don't seem to be making the progress I felt we would have made. I'm disappointed but not discouraged."

Parise said he talked on "a couple occasions" yesterday with Steelers' director of football operations Kevin Colbert and Steelers' business and football administration coordinator Omar Khan.

Those discussions, Parise said, resulted in the eventual submission of a revised contract proposal for Harrison.

"It's extremely similar to the previous (two) proposals submitted," Parise said. "It's less in value than we asked for the first time, so we came down. My expectation would be that the Steelers would come up.

"We're working at this. We'll see what happens from here."

Parise said he anticipated a response from the Steelers in the next 24 to 48 hours.

The Steelers, per club policy, do not comment publicly on contract negotiations.

Haynesworth, formerly of the Tennessee Titans, agreed last week to a seven-year deal with the Redskins, one worth approximately $100 million. It included an NFL-record $41 million guaranteed.

The Steelers signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to a $102 million deal last year.

Harrison is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2009 season, the last year of a four-year, $5.5 million deal signed in April 2006. That contract included a $1.375 million signing bonus.

He earned a $1.2 million base salary in 2008, when he was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year and helped lead the Steelers to victory in Super Bowl XLIII.

"We're just not doing well," Parise said. "This is not going as well as it should or it could. Both sides are being challenged to get this accomplished.

"We clearly want to be here and stay here. James has a home here and family an hour-and-a-half away. I'm here, we love this and this is our goal. And our request is by no means a reach.

"We're not anywhere near Haynesworth numbers. We're nowhere near Ben's numbers.

We're not asking for him to be the highest-paid Steelers player."

Although he declined to identify a timetable for getting an agreement hammered out, Parise made it clear he's operating under such a parameter.

"We're not going to do this forever," he said. "If we can't get something done in the very near future, it's going to be a negative result. There are two outcomes, good and bad. Both are on the table."

JensK
03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
There is no need for him acting like that. Both parties are trying to get the deal done, and stuff like that takes time, especially with the uncapped year in 2010. Harrison Agent is obviously trying to make the Steelers act now, in which case it most likely would be in favor of Harrison and his agent. I really want the guy back, but a big contract like that needs time, especially with all the other contracts (McFadden especially) on the line.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Harrison knows he's not getting 100 million or anything close to that. The Steelers are tough on the bargaining table and they know what a player is worth. They will get this done, they know what he means to this team and the impact player he is both in the locker room and out.

DIESELMAN
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Polamalu is currently the highest paid defensive player we have (7.55 average a year). This will probably be Silverback's last contract anywhere, he'll be 31 in May, I see a 4 or 5 year contract at 5-6 mil a year with a pretty good size bonus and lots of incentives.

Dean Denton
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Polamalu is currently the highest paid defensive player we have (7.55 average a year). This will probably be Silverback's last contract anywhere, he'll be 31 in May, I see a 4 or 5 year contract at 5-6 mil a year with a pretty good size bonus and lots of incentives.
Sounds fair to me. I think you work in the front office because I think thats what he will get. good job...

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2009, 10:25 PM
James Harrison deserves a pay raise no doubt.....So I support him getting one....But two things to consider here is his age which Harrison is already 30......Then you have to factor our system making him the player he really is.....I still think he would be a good football player on another team.....But Harrison wouldn't be the DPOY without our system.......

I wouldn't give Harrison more then a 3 year deal and not more then 5 million a year......I know this is very unrealistic since I think he will get a longer deal and more money.....The Steelers should just franchise him every year and if he Harrison gets pissed and wants to hold out then he can lose a year off his career.....

K Train
03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
when you are 31 you cant get pissed about a franchise tag...thats just money in the bank

TEEMONT
03-03-2009, 10:55 PM
lol...I totally boned Harrison's agent's daughter in college....lol

SteelerRush
03-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree for all he's done for this team the past three seasons. He deserves at least that much. To be able to have a LB that can put fear in a QB and also drop into coverage and make spectacular plays and a deamon on ST who wants to play on ST. That guy is a special player and he deserves a big signing bonus to go along with a 5yr contract

Dean Denton
03-04-2009, 02:24 PM
lol...I totally boned Harrison's agent's daughter in college....lol
OMG, so did I!!!! did your warts go way, because mine keep coming back?....lol

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-04-2009, 05:23 PM
i agree he does deserve a nice pay raise, but haynesworth money?? haynesworth ain't even worth haynesworth money..........

Exactly...we shouldn't really be comparing Harrison with Haynesworth..i think using Bart Scott's deal with the Jets is more comparible.

"Former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Bart Scott got a $48 million contract over six years from the New York Jets, an average of $8 million per year. This particular deal could be a major factor in Pittsburgh's ongoing talks with its Pro Bowl linebacker." ESPN

I'm sure Harrison and his agent are gonna use this to be somewhere close to these numbers.

K Train
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
ware will probably be next in line for the $100 million contract, harrison wont ask near that much

Dean Denton
03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I think Harrison knows that he is bad *** because of the system he plays in. It allows him to do what he does best, and anywhere else he might not have the same success. He would still be good, but not as good. I could be wrong though. Porter seemed pretty good last year.