PDA

View Full Version : Still Hope

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Still holding out hope that the Steelers will draft a center Eric Wood and a tackle Cornelius Lewis. That would add 2 quality young players who could then be folded in slowly to the starting line-up. Thats a start. With any luck Wood could beat out Kemo, Hills could potentially win the RT job and Willie Colon could finally move to his natural position at RG. Kemo and Stapleton would make fine back-ups. Those who don't pay attention to history are doomed to repeat it! You can substitute the name of your favorite tackle or center in the draft. I don't care whether its Unger/Mack/Wood or Meredith/Lewis/Beatty just as long as there is some infusion of new blood in what was the weakest part of last years team.

LT - Max Starks
LG - Eric Wood
C - Justin Hartwig
RG - Willie Colon
RT - Tony Hills

back-ups:
Chris Kemoeatu (G)
Darnell Stapleton (G/C)
Cornelius Lewis (T)
Trai Essex (G/T)

JensK
02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I really really really don't want hartwig another year. We need a killer center, and we may as well get one sooner or later. Also, i would hate to have kemo as a back-up since we are paying so much money for him >.< But again, i would also hate to have him on the field so it's really hard to say what i would hate most

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I really really really don't want hartwig another year. We need a killer center, and we may as well get one sooner or later. Also, i would hate to have kemo as a back-up since we are paying so much money for him >.< But again, i would also hate to have him on the field so it's really hard to say what i would hate most

I agree! I think Hartwig sucks too! He is just a hair better than Mahan so some people think he is great because of that. There is a reason he was a 6th round draft pick and a reason he is with his third team. The Panthers played him for 1 year before drafting another center and cutting him (they didn't make Ryan Kalil watch Hartwig struggle for a year before letting him have the job). Nobody else wants him. There is also a mentality here on this site that rookies need 2 to 3 years to contribute. Forget that rookies across the league contribute in big ways, here at SA the rookie class always needs to be redshirted before they can contribute. So even if we draft a stud O-lineman he would likely have to take his place on the bench for a year or two before he is allowed to play. That way he could watch the franchise quarterback get killed and carted off on a stretcher and see how NOT to play. A very valuable lesson. :lol:

Heres an exerpt from Jim Wexell who happens to share my thoughts about our O-line:

Feb. 19: Max Starks was franchised for $8.5 million and drew gasps from those who thought a Bertrand Berry was something you shouldn’t eat in the wilds. That may be true, but he’s the Cards’ best pass rusher and was virtually worthless in the Super Bowl, thanks to Starks and his slow feet. That’s right, it was the slow feet that put Starks on the bench last year, even though the front office realized that his solid techniques overcome those feet against all but the very best (and the Steelers have James Harrison anyway) and gave him the transition tag. The Steelers thought they could sign Starks long-term then, but he was a backup at the time and wasn’t too interested in making that job description long term. This time, the Steelers believe they can sign Starks long-term, and now the coaching staff has to get behind that thinking after being so wrong last year.

Of course, with the more ordinary Vern Carey signing a long-term deal the same day for $7M per year, Starks’ cap number won’t come down very much with a long-term deal. In fact, even Jon Stink-bomb was rumored to be on the verge of making $7.5M per year. That deal never materialized, but it underscores the reason why the Steelers made the logical move with Starks: There aren’t any left tackles out there, Marvel Smith can’t bend over, and Tony Hills is still decades away from grandfathering someone who might be able to step into a preseason game and not get the QB killed.

Feb. 26: Willie Colon, a restricted free agent, was given a first-round tender by the Steelers and, if he’s not extended, will earn $2.2 million this year. This only drew slight agitation from those who believe the Steelers should’ve given Colon the second-round tender. Either way, this was an easy move to make, considering Colon is at least the equal of Carey at right tackle, and probably better at guard – just in case there’s “a developing crisis.”

Later, that same day: Kendall Simmons is released a few weeks short of the one-year anniversary of signing Colbert’s biggest mistake of a contract. Simmons has been the weak link on the line for years, yet, any astute talent judge would tell you that he was a better player than his replacement, Darnell Stapleton, and that consensus was underscored by Stapleton’s poor Super Bowl performance. Darnell Dockett, the Cards’ left DT, had three sacks and the Steelers’ pathetic short-yardage game became a joke on the “live mike” feeds from Mike Tomlin. The problem with putting Simmons back in the lineup next season is that the injury-prone guard has not recovered from his Achilles’ injury. So his release was not only expected, it spared fans a training-camp competition between he and Stapleton and forces – one can only hope – the Steelers to bolster their anemic interior on draft day.

Feb. 27: Chris Kemoeatu, the left guard who has needed every bit of his four seasons to learn enough of the offense to compete on every other snap, took less than $4M in bonus money on a five-year contract to come back with the team. The move may have relieved the alarmists in the media, but no one was more relieved than Kemoeatu himself, who won’t have to attempt to learn another offense. His repeated calls back to the Steelers, after they had dropped out of the bidding, are being described as “loyalty.” Ha. That bonus is so sparse the Steelers can release him after one year and not take a loss.

So it’s being said that the Steelers averted a crisis at the guard position, when in reality the team had very little at the position anyway. Averting a crisis? No, a crisis is something Ben Roethlisberger undertakes every time he drops back to pass.

Of course, that strategy won them a ring, so, no, it’s not all that bad. But can we at least hold down the “Steelers are genius” talk until draft day? That’s when they’d better do something concrete about the interior of their offensive line.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I think most on here know the Steelers still need to upgrade their OL 4ver.....But I don't blame them for making these moves since they probably won't have a shot at the top OT's in this class and this OG class stinks.......I like the center class but I wouldn't be thrilled with spending a first round pick on either Wood or Mack.......I really like Wood but I don't like him as a first rounder.....

The Steelers really should look to trade down if they don't trade up for a top OT......Trade down and draft Eric Wood and Cornelius Lewis......I would be for that.....

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I would be for that too. And I would also be for a fair and open competition in camp for the starting jobs. I realize that they had to keep some of these guys, but not all. The thoughts of starting next year with the same exact starting 5 depresses me. :evilshake:

DCBill
03-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I've been pouring over mocks and various draft articles and am coming around to your two choices. But Wood in the first and Green in the second or third would be "reaches," yet that's where the Steelers would have to pick them.

Wood won't last till #64 and Lewis could be snapped up in the third round, since--in the mocks--so many O-linemen go in the first two rounds (Ts, Gs, and Cs).

Picking last in Round 3 is like picking first in Round Four.

The "wild card" is if we get a "comp" pick for losing Faneca and it comes between Rounds 3 and 4, we might be able to get Lewis there and fill another need at #96.

steelcityrockers
03-03-2009, 09:43 AM
For whatever reason, Michael Oher is falling down draft boards and I think he could be had if we trade up into the middle parts of the first (around 20 or so)