PDA

View Full Version : Steelers resign Chris Kemoeatu...

Troyisabeast_43
02-27-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09058/952109-66.stm

20 million over 5 years cant say I am thrilled about it but looks like a lot of the same starting o-lineman from last year has a good shot of coming back for the 2009 season...

Dean Denton
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
GAY!!!!! Here We Go Steelers......

K Train
02-27-2009, 03:20 PM
this is quite simply one of the worst moves weve done in a long time....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I guess I'm one of the few here that is ok with this deal. I think Chris showed enough improvement last year that he can be a solid, not spectacular, but a solid starter for us. An OL takes time to get good and when you start changing out players every 5 minutes it pushes back the progress even further. Now in our case there are some changes that have to be made, there is no doubt of that. Im pretty much ok with our interior 3 guys: Hartwig, Stapleton, & Kemo. They have a good enough upside that I can see potential in them. Colon though just has to go, that man starting at RT is a disaster, and now that Starks will be back why in God's name can't they move him back to RT and draft a LT. Honestly with those couple changes we could have a pretty decent line if they come together.

Dean Denton
02-27-2009, 03:22 PM
this is quite simply one of the worst moves weve done in a long time.... Why does it not surprise me that this has happened? Are they trying to kill Ben or what?

K Train
02-27-2009, 03:27 PM
letting him walk would have given them an urgency in the draft to get their guy no matter what....this ensures us he'll be our left guard in 2009...absolutely terrible move, paying 20 million for mediocrity. he brings nothing to the table

Dean Denton
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
letting him walk would have given them an urgency in the draft to get their guy no matter what....this ensures us he'll be our left guard in 2009...absolutely terrible move, paying 20 million for mediocrity. he brings nothing to the table
Jesus you are so right. This is really sad. I didn't see anything in him that made me think he would keep his job or play better going forward. He's got half a brain. It looks like all we are going to do is keep most of the crap we have then draft some young talent...maybe draft young talent. Who knows what is going to happen come draft day?

ejsteeler
02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Who knows what is going to happen come draft day?

I think that was the kicker. You know they were not going to shell out what a better player would cost. Nothing to do now except wait and see what their plan was/is....

K Train
02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
sometimes i cant believe this team remains competitive with its idiotic commitment to mediocrity on the oline....absolutely amazing

Dean Denton
02-27-2009, 03:48 PM
When Tomlin said that he didn't want to use words like repeat or defending SB champs, and that this group was special, and that next year was going to be a new group of guys, some new faces, some familar. I really thought he ment that we would have more new faces on the OL. I we get to keep Arians Too....WOW...This is shaping up to be an exciting Off Season...Let the hair pulling begin...God Damn it!!!!!!!!

Steel Trap86
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
just heard this on NFLN, i dont think kemo is worth 20 million, he was part of the problem up front this season. while he did improve towards the end, i still dont believe he is worth the money we just paid him...and for 5 more years.

bad move

K Train
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
i got really excited when simmons was released....i thought they were on a mission to clean house on that line. this is bullshit.

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I guess I'm one of the few here that is ok with this deal. I think Chris showed enough improvement last year that he can be a solid, not spectacular, but a solid starter for us. An OL takes time to get good and when you start changing out players every 5 minutes it pushes back the progress even further. Now in our case there are some changes that have to be made, there is no doubt of that. Im pretty much ok with our interior 3 guys: Hartwig, Stapleton, & Kemo. They have a good enough upside that I can see potential in them. Colon though just has to go, that man starting at RT is a disaster, and now that Starks will be back why in God's name can't they move him back to RT and draft a LT. Honestly with those couple changes we could have a pretty decent line if they come together.

Its funny that all the supporting data that I have seen contradicts what you are saying. We were the weakest up the middle in both running and in pass protection. Short yardage was an obamination because our middle 3 got no push or completely missed their blocks. We gained most of our rushing yards off tackle and most of the sacks given up came at the expense of the middle 3 and Bens collapsing pocket. I contend that if their was an emergency need it was the middle of the line, not the ends. :yesnod:

Dean Denton
02-27-2009, 04:00 PM
We are Doomed...Go Giants...lol

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately this is typical news if your a Steelers fan...We are the most boring team when it comes to free agency..what makes us think that this year would be any different?Atleast there trying to keep whatever talent there may have been in that Oline..like i said earlier hopefully Keamotu gets better after getting a year of starting under his belt.There may be a bigger picture that the front office is working on..who knows, we got till Sept to ponder this signing.

K Train
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
we all very much disagree who "has got to go"...i like colon, do i think hes playing out of position? absoultely, but for not being fit to be a tackle i think he does well. i hate starks, but i hate starks on the right more than i do on the left, hes always played better for us on the left. i hate that it seems like we are stuck with these ****ing worthless linemen....the draft is open again, they wont chase after a lineman they want because they are content with these failures. i really think kemo is now one of the worst signings ive ever seen....i thought for damn sure he would be a jet.

Sir Blitzelot
02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
This move definitely came as a shock, $20 Million.. WOW :thinking:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-27-2009, 04:10 PM
and in the grand scheme of things..this pretty much seals the deal that we aren't gonna sign BMac. :evilshake:

HUNT4SEVEN
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
this is quite simply one of the worst moves weve done in a long time....

AGREED!!!! what do they see in this bum?:thinking:

Dean Denton
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
AGREED!!!! what do they see in this bum?:thinking: its the hair....What else could it be?

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree with Top Gun. I like the deal that Kemoeatu got and am glad he got resigned. The Steelers would have been in some big trouble if they would jumble up the line again. Just because Kemoeatu didn't always look very good this year, it doesn't mean it's all his fault. The offensive line is a cohesive unit. If the cohesion and chemistry isn't there, it is very easy to get noticed in a bad way. With Starks and Kemoeatu on the left side (STRONG SIDE) with almost a full season together under their belts, I expect the running game to be much improved. If only the right side with Colon and Stapleton could pick up their run blocking...............

Dean Denton
02-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree with Top Gun. I like the deal that Kemoeatu got and am glad he got resigned. The Steelers would have been in some big trouble if they would jumble up the line again. Just because Kemoeatu didn't always look very good this year, it doesn't mean it's all his fault. The offensive line is a cohesive unit. If the cohesion and chemistry isn't there, it is very easy to get noticed in a bad way. With Starks and Kemoeatu on the left side (STRONG SIDE) with almost a full season together under their belts, I expect the running game to be much improved. If only the right side with Colon and Stapleton could pick up their run blocking............... I think I asked you to change your name a few weeks ago. I am going to refer to you as Robo Cop until you do. Or R2D2....xoxoxo

Zachintosh66
02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Excellent! I was hoping for them to re-sign him. Glad hook took loyalty over money.

Let Colon and "swinging gate" Stapelton go for RG.

Bring in a Rook or FA to solidify OT with starks.

All you guys that dont like this move...
Kemo is NOT the Bum. Look at the film once again. Granted hes not Feneca. But there are far worse holes in our OL (especially on the right side). Stapleton cant hold Kemo's jock strap. Im so tired of watching Stapleton get blown up, false starts and holding calls. Stapleton is a poor man Simmons... and we see where that got Kendall to be at right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Earlier in the year all the problems came from the outside...then towards the end they came up the middle and from the outside. Giving Colon a tender was just to ensure we get compensation but signing Kemo I still don't think is that bad. The way our line played all year was a question mark but remember last year our ST was horrific, then they added a couple key guys, got another year under their belt and suddenly there were one of the best coverage units in the league.

Perhaps the same can be said for the line. They got rid of Simmons, Colon hopefully either moves on or tries out at Guard. I have hopes Kemo can get better but lets face, he's the starting Guard now so we might as well get used to it.

Silverback
02-27-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm also for this. Kemo showed enough potential, especially in the run game, that I think hes worth keeping around.

K Train
02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
yeah we just ran the ball soooooo good last year.

no way is this a good signing, he doesnt block his assignment and he gets pushed around in pass protection, hes a master of the hold and has anger issues. i hate him and i alwasy have

igor0190
02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
If you put this in perspective an average starting Guard getting 4M/year is hardly breaking the bank. I pray that we can draft a rookie OT that can start at RT immediately. I don't see any possibility of the Steelers not drafting AT LEAST 2 offensive lineman in the draft to compete. It's not going to happen overnight... keeping some of our starting guys is crucial to be able to compete next year. Who knows what the draft holds? Maybe they like one of the centers and are going to move up to get him. Hopefully they can trade up a couple times and get 2 quality lineman.

If this is there thinking, maybe they eventually move Kemeoutu to RG and let Colon, and Hartwig walk next year. Clearing the path for a new LG, RT, and possible center (Stapleton if he progresses).

yinzer
02-27-2009, 07:19 PM
i'm surprised to say the least. i guess BMAC is history. not a good move in my opinion.

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Earlier in the year all the problems came from the outside...then towards the end they came up the middle and from the outside. Giving Colon a tender was just to ensure we get compensation but signing Kemo I still don't think is that bad. The way our line played all year was a question mark but remember last year our ST was horrific, then they added a couple key guys, got another year under their belt and suddenly there were one of the best coverage units in the league.

Perhaps the same can be said for the line. They got rid of Simmons, Colon hopefully either moves on or tries out at Guard. I have hopes Kemo can get better but lets face, he's the starting Guard now so we might as well get used to it.

I disagree. I saw the breakdown of our running game and our lowest yards per carry average was between the tackles. Higher outside the tackles. More of our sacks were given up by the middle three guys than the two tackles gave up on the outside. With every bum we resign that is one less roster spot for a new lineman. Keeping the band dubbed as the "garbage men" together is signing Bens death warrant. I will remind all of you who praised this group of garbage men at a later date when our franchise quarterback is laid up in traction. You know the saying, "garbage in, garbage out". :cursin:

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-27-2009, 07:34 PM

I would not be surprised if Colon is moved to RG if they can find somebody to fill the RT spot. I am pretty sure that Stapleton is not in Tomlin's final equation. I think he is just a decent spot filler for now. Who knows, maybe the new RT will come from within (Hill or Capizzi). Depending on what happens with Washington and McFadden, I see the Steelers trading up in the draft to get a mid-first round RT, WR, or CB. But that all depends on who is the BEST AVAILABLE player and what position they need the most.

--- Added 2/27/2009 at 06:34 PM ---

I think I asked you to change your name a few weeks ago. I am going to refer to you as Robo Cop until you do. Or R2D2....xoxoxo

LOL H3INZFI3LDST33L IS HERE TO STAY. I don't think I can come up with another name that I actually like. To be honest, I probably spent about 20 minutes coming up with a clever, appropriate, and likable name. :cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-27-2009, 07:57 PM

I agree 100 percent....I would have taken the money given to Kemoeatu and just spent some more coin to add Jason Brown....Now that would have been a great move......Kemo better improve by leaps and bounds next year.....lol

Stairwayto7
02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Maybe they see something that we don`t? Maybe he isn`t as bad as the line is? Maybe with descent players around him, and him only having to worry about his assignment, maybe he is good? Maybe if my aunt had gonads, she would be my uncle?

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I agree 100 percent....I would have taken the money given to Kemoeatu and just spent some more coin to add Jason Brown....Now that would have been a great move......Kemo better improve by leaps and bounds next year.....lol

So how many roster spots are already taken up by the merry band of "Garbage Men"?

Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon

All 5 SB starters locked up for next year. Ben better raise his health insurance benefits, he's gonna need a lot of medical attention in the coming year. But the drones will all be happy here because we have continuity or consistency. Consistently bad is generally not something to strive for IMO.

Hills

I guess they will sign Essex next. That leaves 2 spots left but we still have Jason Capizzi, Jeremy Parquet, and Doug Legursky who can make the team. Guess we won't even draft offensive lineman because we have such quality already in place. :evilshake:

K Train
02-27-2009, 08:31 PM
the draft should definitely be interesting....i wouldnt pencil in stapleton and colon as starters just yet though, guess we'll see how it shapes up

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-27-2009, 08:47 PM
So how many roster spots are already taken up by the merry band of "Garbage Men"?

Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon

All 5 SB starters locked up for next year. Ben better raise his health insurance benefits, he's gonna need a lot of medical attention in the coming year. But the drones will all be happy here because we have continuity or consistency. Consistently bad is generally not something to strive for IMO.

Hills

I guess they will sign Essex next. That leaves 2 spots left but we still have Jason Capizzi, Jeremy Parquet, and Doug Legursky who can make the team. Guess we won't even draft offensive lineman because we have such quality already in place. :evilshake:

Heard earlier that Parquet was gone, I think he signed with somebody else,not sure. As far as keeping Kemo I got mixed emotions... They got him at a decent price, I mean it could have been a lot worse, look at Max at 8.5 a year :lol: Hopefully as the line plays together more they will improve, they improved some towards the end of year. I mean in spite of how bad they were we did win the SB, that alone is their saving grace...Does this mean that they will be the starting unit next year,who knows there is still time for change...I don't think anybody here realistically expected the STEELERS to go out and sign a big name free agent....

Black@Gold Forever32
02-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Its really useless to complain about the move when you think about....There is nothing we can about it....I just hope Kemoeatu becomes a beast and the Steelers do add some OL come draft time.....Within the first three rounds at least one pick has to be use toward the OL.......lol

K Train
02-27-2009, 08:54 PM
yeah well ive been bitching and moaning since it happend....damnit i thought he was gonna be a jet lol

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Its really useless to complain about the move when you think about....There is nothing we can about it....I just hope Kemoeatu becomes a beast and the Steelers do add some OL come draft time.....Within the first three rounds at least one pick has to be use toward the OL.......lol

That about sums it up !! No use complaining ain't nobody listening ,:lol:

Steel Trap86
02-27-2009, 08:57 PM

Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon

Hills

you'd think our 100 million dollar man would have a brick house up front protecting him after last seasons 50 sacks, broken ribs & concussions treated him. after watching philly completely dismantle that o-line in week 3, i'll admit i was doubting our chances a little bit, but it seemed like we actually worked around our **** line with quick releases to ward or holmes knowing that our line wouldnt be able to give ben enough time to make the plays. that is ****ing rediculous. although it wasnt always the line's fault with ben holding onto the ball a little too long, they were still the weak link all season. our running game was not anywhere near what it should have been and changes should be made.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-27-2009, 09:23 PM
you'd think our 100 million dollar man would have a brick house up front protecting him after last seasons 50 sacks, broken ribs & concussions treated him. after watching philly completely dismantle that o-line in week 3, i'll admit i was doubting our chances a little bit, but it seemed like we actually worked around our **** line with quick releases to ward or holmes knowing that our line wouldnt be able to give ben enough time to make the plays. that is ****ing rediculous. although it wasnt always the line's fault with ben holding onto the ball a little too long, they were still the weak link all season. our running game was not anywhere near what it should have been and changes should be made.

Agreed...to me it's more frustrating watching the running game get stuffed on 3rd and short than watching Ben take a sack.I know alot of those calls came from BA and he was so freakin predictable most of the time (minus SB game) but that O-line could not force their will on anyone.With that said..i'm not gonna hate on them anymore..i got faith that Tomlin will move some of them around to bring out there strengths and the line will be improved from last year..how much improved?...we shall see.

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Heard earlier that Parquet was gone, I think he signed with somebody else,not sure.

Two exclusive rights free agents, FB Carey Davis and OT Jeremy Parquet, also received tenders from the Steelers. Anthony Smith, Jon Dekker and Arnold Harrison did not receive offers and are now unrestricted free agents.

Callax
02-27-2009, 11:24 PM
I am not really thrilled about signing kemo, He's a big man and this is his 1st year as a starter, but it took the leaving of a All Pro LG and Possible HOF in Faneca for him to get to start... And TOP GUN liking our interior lineman of hartwig, kemo AND Stapleton???? I don't like Simmons (thank god he's gone dead weight) and stapleton doen't look any better... move Colon from RT ( PLEASE) put him at RG and get a RT or move starks there and get a LT... Too much money was spent on Starks, Pitt needs to get cap relief and sign starks to a long term contract (if Pitt thinks he is an answer on the OL)
Hartwig is short term relief until a long term C is drafted ( maybe Unger) Maybe Hills can come in and play RT, he's had a year to study and put on some weight...

I hope Pitt can get McFadden to resign

Danger DANJ
02-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I never realized there was so much hate for Kemo. He isn't Faneca, but I thought he did well and improved a lot at the end of the season. I was hoping he would get resigned. I really like what he brings to the running game, especially when he pulls. I truly feel he is being held back due to the low level of play from Hartwig and Stapleton. More so Hartwig. I truly hope the Steelers draft a top center in the draft to replace Hartwig. We need a center that is smart and can get push up the middle. I honestly believe that is where our biggest problem lies in the run game. With Kemo and a big time center, the run game up the middle would improve drastically. I'm praying for Alex Mack!