PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Simmons released

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Just got the text from KDKA.. Thank you God!! I couldn't stand him on the team anymore, ever since he blew out his knee a few years he was never the same.

This will open the way for them to really work on keeping Kemo if they want to give him the kind of money he'll probably command, at the very least they have enough confidence in Stapleton to take over the job permanently.

Zachintosh66
02-26-2009, 05:27 PM
man i dislike stapleton... but simmons even more

BlackGold4vr
02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Both are practice squad caliber. I want to shed Colon and Kemo as well. When your line was one of the worst there is no way to go but up. Does anyone know how much salary this frees up by cutting Simmons?

Simmons, the former first-round pick who battled diabetes and an injured Achilles' tendon, was released with three years remaining on a contract he renegotiated before last season. The pro-rated remainder of his signing bonus is $4.71 million and will be added onto this year's salary cap. However, the Steelers won't have to pay Simmons his $3.1 million salary for 2009

Do we get to add the pro-rated signing bonus AND the 2009 salary to this years cap?

HUNT4SEVEN
02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Good move by the Steelers:clap: personally i would like to see Kemo go as well, i believe Stapleton will be ok, he did an better job than Simmons last year. I'm anixous to see what other moves we make over the next couple of days.:yesnod:

Stlrs4Life
02-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Around 3.5 million between the 2. And the cap was raised $4 million yesterday.

Dean Denton
02-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I feel it. Big change is coming our way. We are gong to have bad *** men up front. Ben is going to be a god.....Montana who...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Clearly Tomlin is finally taking action on the line, this is great! We were all screaming for this last year but better late than never I guess. That's one piece of dead weight off the roster now!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I expected this really.......After another Simmons injury this year the writing was on the wall.....Its a shame injuries and illness ruined Kendall Simmons........I don't want Kemoeatu either...lol The guy is a bum and I say let the Raiders over pay for him......

Callax
02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Thank You!!!!
IT IS ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME!!!

JoeThomas
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Both are practice squad caliber. I want to shed Colon and Kemo as well. When your line was one of the worst there is no way to go but up. Does anyone know how much salary this frees up by cutting Simmons?

Do we get to add the pro-rated signing bonus AND the 2009 salary to this years cap?

Colon got a 1st round tender I believe, he is sticking around for a while.

K Train
02-27-2009, 12:12 AM
jets are probably gonna sign kemo....which makes me giggle

Prosdo
02-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Good move by the Steelers. Looks like their trying to figure out this O-line now. lol

Sir Blitzelot
02-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Good move by the Steelers, it's a step in the right direction with fixing up the O-line :yellowthumb:

Captcoolhand
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers made a flurry of roster moves Thursday afternoon, just hours before the NFL free-agent period began at midnight.

Pittsburgh uncharacteristically allowed two former starters to become free agents, releasing guard Kendall Simmons and not tendering a contract offer to restricted free agent safety Anthony Smith.

The Steelers did make contract offers to three restricted free agents, giving right tackle Willie Colon a tender of $2.198 million - the highest amount possible - while tight end/fullback Sean McHugh and cornerback Anthony Madison were issued offers at the lowest level, $1.01 million.

If Colon signs a contract with another team and the Steelers choose not to match it, Pittsburgh will receive a first-round draft pick in return. The Steelers would receive a seventh-round pick in return for McHugh, while Madison, who signed as an undrafted rookie free agent, would bring no compensation.

The release of Simmons, a first-round draft pick in 2002, leaves the Steelers painfully thin on the offensive line. With offensive tackles Marvel Smith, Trai Essex and guard Chris Kemoeatu becoming unrestricted free agents, the Steelers have only seven offensive linemen under contract.

Simmons played in just four games last season after suffering a torn Achilles' tendon in a 23-20 overtime win over Baltimore on Sept. 29. He also suffered a torn ACL in training camp in 2004, missing that entire season.

The Steelers signed Simmons to a 4-year, $24-million contract extension in 2007. That deal included a $7.85-million signing bonus and $8.5 million in guaranteed money. He woudl have had a base salary of $3.1 million in 2009.

Smith, a third-round draft pick in 2006, had fallen out of favor with head coach Mike Tomlin after starting 10 games in 2007. Smith drew Tomlin's ire for guaranteeing a win at New England that season and then being beaten for two touchdowns in a 34-13 loss.

The moves leave the Steelers with approximately $7.5 million in salary cap space.
Odds and end zones

The Steelers also tendered offers to fullback Carey Davis and offensive lineman Jeremy Parquett, a pair of exclusive-rights free agents. ... Linebacker Mike Humpal, a sixth-round draft pick in 2008, also was released after spending last season on injured reserve.I don't get the Tender on Colon. Ain't nobody going to want his "forever causing penalties" fat ***!

TEEMONT
02-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't get the Tender on Colon. Ain't nobody going to want his "forever causing penalties" fat ***!

If someone wants a badass guard they'll sign him.

Dean Denton
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
The guy likes to fight. Maybe the Raiders could use him.