PDA

View Full Version : Jarron Gilbert

Steelers7fan
02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
If this guy is there when we draft, we have to consider taking this guy. I believe the Steelers would look at him. He could definetly upgrade our defensive line.
Very impressed with what I've seen of him.

Forget the small school stuff this guys a football player and a playmaker. 22-tackles for losses speaks for itself.

BlitzburghNation
02-26-2009, 07:28 PM
This is amazing :eek1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

Talk about lower body strength :eek1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAqc85MT_-0

K Train
02-27-2009, 12:23 AM
the dude is a freak. kendall langford v2.0

darnik44
02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Gilbert certainly is intriguing and is a pretty impressive physical speciment. He's likely worked his way into the top 50 come draft day.

There are some other things that are important to know. As a football player, he has a long way to go. His technique is very raw, and he has questions as to whether he gives 100% every play or even every game for that matter.

The bright side of all of that for the Steelers is, he wouldn't need to play next year. Smith and Keisel are still there. Anything the Steelers asked him to do would be in a certain role, not as a starter. They would have to and could develope him. This typically is how the Steelers do things.

I won't rule out him being drafted by the Steelers. He would be a reach though. Problem is he won't be there at #64.

Check this out. Trade down from #32 and up from #64 and come away with Gilbert and Eric Wood.

Steelers7fan
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Gilbert certainly is intriguing and is a pretty impressive physical speciment. He's likely worked his way into the top 50 come draft day.

There are some other things that are important to know. As a football player, he has a long way to go. His technique is very raw, and he has questions as to whether he gives 100% every play or even every game for that matter.

The bright side of all of that for the Steelers is, he wouldn't need to play next year. Smith and Keisel are still there. Anything the Steelers asked him to do would be in a certain role, not as a starter. They would have to and could develope him. This typically is how the Steelers do things.

I won't rule out him being drafted by the Steelers. He would be a reach though. Problem is he won't be there at #64.

Check this out. Trade down from #32 and up from #64 and come away with Gilbert and Eric Wood.

Now your talking. Getting Gilbert and Wood would be a very good thing.
Also on Gilberts play. I've seen enough over the 45 minutes of tapes I've watched to be convinced this guy's a player. 22-tackles for losses says alot...you don't get those without having a high motor and nose for the football.

darnik44
02-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Now your talking. Getting Gilbert and Wood would be a very good thing.
Also on Gilberts play. I've seen enough over the 45 minutes of tapes I've watched to be convinced this guy's a player. 22-tackles for losses says alot...you don't get those without having a high motor and nose for the football.

Just keep in mind the caliber opponents he played. Basically he was too talented to be in the WAC.

Silverback
02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't know if the Steelers will let the whole small-school thing weight too much into their decision making process on this guy. Theres that other DE on our team from Northern Colorado. Hes decent.

darnik44
02-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know if the Steelers will let the whole small-school thing weight too much into their decision making process on this guy. Theres that other DE on our team from Northern Colorado. Hes decent.

No, that's not what I was saying. I was refering to his 22 tackles for loss. Just don't lose sight of his competion and put too much stock into that stat.

Steelers7fan
02-28-2009, 07:41 PM
No, that's not what I was saying. I was refering to his 22 tackles for loss. Just don't lose sight of his competion and put too much stock into that stat.

Darnik you couldn't be more wrong. Just ask Pro Scouts about defensive players and all of them look at tackles for losses. Play made in the backfield.
I don't care what division you play in this stat is nothing to pass over. If your making plays and are able to dominate at the level of your competition than your doing something.
Now if your playing at his level and not being very productive stats wise than yes it's a red flag.

It's easy for a player to make a tackle 4 or 5 yards past the line, but getting people behind the line of scrimmage consistently is a whole nother ball game.

K Train
04-11-2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwJrEOtk41M&NR=1

hes my pick at 32 right now

Callax
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM

I like the idea of trading down from 32 and up from 64, I wonder if in those processes if Pitt could come away with those 2 players and an additional pick; maybe an additional
4th round pick... that could be used for a corner for depth...Corners in this draft are not very fast, only 1 or 2 with exceptional speed... Pitt could get nearly the same talent level in the 4th round as in the 2nd round...
Back to the main point: Go after Gilbert and Wood by trading out of the first round and trade up in the end of the 2nd round... In that process, pick up an additional 4th? round pick.
trade out of 1st rd for a 2nd and a 3rd round, then trade up in bottom of 2nd for that 2nd rd pick and a 3rd in exchange for a mid 2nd rd pick and a 4th rd.
Pitt gets Gilbert and Wood and a additional 4th round pick!!!!

MillerTime83
04-11-2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwJrEOtk41M&NR=1

hes my pick at 32 right now

WOWS:grin1:

I didnt think he really was a 1st because of the small school conp....untill now. Although I dont know if he is a 3-4 DE.

K Train
04-11-2009, 08:19 PM
WOWS:grin1:

I didnt think he really was a 1st because of the small school conp....untill now. Although I dont know if he is a 3-4 DE.

at 6-5 288 with that kind of explosiveness and extreme power hes a prototype for a 5technique 34end. hes not a day one, 3 down starter like tyson jackson would be but after sitting a year he would be the perfect fit for our defense. tyson jackson is safer, but gilber has much more superstar potential

steelcitysfinestXL
04-12-2009, 06:13 PM
at 6-5 288 with that kind of explosiveness and extreme power hes a prototype for a 5technique 34end. hes not a day one, 3 down starter like tyson jackson would be but after sitting a year he would be the perfect fit for our defense. tyson jackson is safer, but gilber has much more superstar potential

Agreed, a guy like this could be a "kiesel-type"
player who lines up all over the field... learning behind Diesel and Smith, with his abilities, this kid could be a monster for years to come!!

andyg1984
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
32 seems a little early for a 3-4 end who, granted has stats, is more of a physical specimen than a football player at THIS point .. Here is something that can get some discussion going ... Is there a bigger drop-off between Jackson and Gilbert as there is between Gilbert and guys in the next "tier"?

K Train
04-23-2009, 09:55 PM
i mentioned the dropoff between jackson and gilbert....jackson is pro ready as a 3 down lineman, hes like a black aaron smith. Gilbert is not pro ready, would only play on passing downs but his superstar potential is much higher than jacksons, jackson will likely have a solid career in the league, gilbert has the chance to really open some eyes

after those two as far as 34DEs go...it might as well be a shot in the dark imo

kyle moore would be the next prospect i would say is worth a damn in our scheme....but hes a project

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2009, 10:45 PM

Ktrain really sums it up best and really I can't add anything......One thing I was worried about at first with Gilbert is right now that he is more freakish athlete then football player at this moment....But after giving it much thought and knowing that Gilbert will learn from the best 3-4 DE in the NFL in Aaron Smith and with coaches like Tomlin, LeBeau, and Mitchell that can mold Gilbert into a player lessened my initial worries on Gilbert....Gilbert's talent and the Steelers coaching brass really excites me and I really want Jarron Gilbert to become a Pittsburgh Steeler on draft day.....There is a chance Gilbert won't be there at 32 though.....I have my :crossfingers:.....

cmerrifield
04-23-2009, 11:09 PM
I am afraid of going with too big of a project. When Smith went out, our defense suffered. I think if there was an injury midseason, Gilbert could be ready to play. Maybe not at the level of the starters, but there would be less of a gap than with our backups, hopefully. I would be good if Gilbert was our first round. I still hope Jackson falls to like 22 and we go after him. That would be sweet.

K Train
04-23-2009, 11:15 PM
this isnt ryan mcbean though, this dude is manufactured for the position