PDA

View Full Version : Colon Gets First Round Tender

Zachintosh66
02-26-2009, 04:04 PM
STEELERS’ COLON GETS HIGH TENDER
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 26, 2009, 3:50 p.m.
Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon has received a first-round restricted tender, Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports.

Colon is now scheduled to make $2.198 million in 2009 on a one-year contract.

Under the rules governing restricted free agents, the Steelers have the right to match any offer sheet from another team. If they declined to match, they would get a first-round draft pick as compensation for losing Colon.

Colon was originally drafted in the fourth round by Pittsburgh.

Dean Denton
02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
would the team that took him be the ones to give up that 1st round pick or are the Steelers just given one? I say let him go if we can. 2 first rounders is huge.

ToothAche
02-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Its a smart move, IMO, considering whats out there is going to cost us a fortune to sign. That also buys us a year for whoever we draft to evolve into a NFL player. (That's if we draft some talent at OL)

--- Added 2/26/2009 at 03:26 PM ---

would the team that took him be the ones to give up that 1st round pick or are the Steelers just given one? I say let him go if we can. 2 first rounders is huge.
Two first rounders would be huge, but it would be this year's AND next year's draft, right?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah I guess it's a smart move, I don't see anybody giving 3 million a year to Colon though, no way! Unless there is somebody so unbelievably desperate because they feel the need to have their offense false start more often.

Dean Denton
02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah I guess it's a smart move, I don't see anybody giving 3 million a year to Colon though, no way! Unless there is somebody so unbelievably desperate because they feel the need to have their offense false start more often.
Maybe the Lions. They get so many 1st picks what does it matter. They need help up front and Colon has won a SB....let us pray

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Being a super bowl champion always adds value to even the lower tier free agents, just look at Larry Brown. If he can get the kind of money he got after SB XXX then anybody can :nonod:

Steel Trap86
02-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Get rid of Colon!! He's one of the worst lineman and could even be the worst player we're holding right now. It's a good way to start beefing up the o-line, by getting rid of sh!t baggage like him. If that 2.198 million can go to a first rounder then cut him the **** loose. Hopefully teams like the Cheifs, Lions, Rams, Raiders are willing to pay a little more. And like TG said, he did just win a Superbowl so his value went up. Hopefully somebody bites lol

BlackGold4vr
02-26-2009, 05:26 PM

This is an excellent question. Does the team that takes him give us their 1st round pick? And if so in what year is the pick due? Do we get it this year or is this something that carries over to next year like the compensatory picks? The article implies that he has been tendered a first round offer by another team. The Steelers would be crazy to get in a bidding war for Willie Colon. Let him go, take the pick. :yesnod:

vtwin_gary
02-26-2009, 05:32 PM
hopefully if he says he'll take that money & hire a tutor to teach him how to count so he doesn't jump off sides as much

HUNT4SEVEN
02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
:cursin: I understand why, but i wish we could get rid of his @$$ also:cursin:

BlackGold4vr
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
The Steelers are the ones who gave Colon a first round tender. So basically what that means is that we are stuck with him. For a team to take him from us they would have to give up a 1st round draft pick. Not sure whether that pick would come this year or next but I don't see teams doing this. :rant2:

WarriorScholar
02-26-2009, 08:06 PM
The Steelers are the ones who gave Colon a first round tender. So basically what that means is that we are stuck with him. For a team to take him from us they would have to give up a 1st round draft pick. Not sure whether that pick would come this year or next but I don't see teams doing this. :rant2:

Yeah I was hoping we would at most give him a 2nd round tender, and then pray for a team to take him off our hands , so we get a 2nd round pick out of it. By the way, for those of you asking, it would be the team's pick next year. We won't have to worry about that though since there is no way a team is giving up their first for Colon.