PDA

View Full Version : Saturday interested in Steelers?

WarriorScholar
02-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Jeff Saturday wants to play with the Steelers. obviously if Saturday wants to come to Pitt he knows he won't get paid as much as he would get from other teams'. He's had his big pay day's so to him it's about winning. He knows how great this team is, and all it is lacking is an oline. He could be the leader of this line immediately. Would be a huge pick up.

AZ_Steeler
02-25-2009, 01:16 AM
That is big news... I saw he was either going to be released or wanted to be released but I didn't want to start one of those "What about Saturday becoming a Steeler" thread :)

Since he has come out and actually said it himself then it's fair game for discussion... he would be a HUGE pickup though!

K Train
02-25-2009, 01:17 AM
i want no part in it, thats a step backwards. hes old and weak, hes always been one of those technitian players and that serves well in a scheme like indy that doesnt run very much and a line that pass blocks so well for a QB like peyton that gets the ball out quick almost no matter what.

signing him would be a mistake, hes really not that good and really never has been

TEEMONT
02-25-2009, 01:53 AM
i want no part in it, thats a step backwards. hes old and weak, hes always been one of those technitian players and that serves well in a scheme like indy that doesnt run very much and a line that pass blocks so well for a QB like peyton that gets the ball out quick almost no matter what.

signing him would be a mistake, hes really not that good and really never has been

technician? like jeff hartings?

This is another one of those discussions where, I wouldn't hate it, but I doubt it will happen. I don't see Saturday as a step back, but I don't see him as a big enough leap over Hartwig that the Steelers would sign him.

Besides, what would that do with Hartwig? If Saturday was a G or T it would make more sense, since we need immediate help there, but we are pretty set at C for a year or two.

WarriorScholar
02-25-2009, 02:02 AM

This is another one of those discussions where, I wouldn't hate it, but I doubt it will happen. I don't see Saturday as a step back, but I don't see him as a big enough leap over Hartwig that the Steelers would sign him.

Besides, what would that do with Hartwig? If Saturday was a G or T it would make more sense, since we need immediate help there, but we are pretty set at C for a year or two.

Well here's the article..and yes Saturday would be willing to play guard.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_613269.html

K Train
02-25-2009, 02:06 AM
saturday is great at line calls, but im going to say hes not really good at anything else. he excelled at line adjustments in a complicated colts offense...but im not looking for another lineman to get pushed 3 yards back on every play, the steelers offense is a completely different world...he would hate the way ben plays, he cant sustain blocks that long.

hartings was a completely different animal

TEEMONT
02-25-2009, 02:29 AM
he would hate the way ben plays, he cant sustain blocks that long.

and obviously neither can the rest of the line, so what you're saying is he would fit in?

to say a 3 time pro-bowler can't sustain blocks as long or longer than Kemo, Stapleton, or Starks, is just silly.

As far as Hartings goes. Bad knees, not as strong or heavy as D-lineman, but he was smart. Very smart. So is Saturday.

Athletic ability is one of the most overated qualities in O-lineman. If you are an athletic Olineman, play TE.

--- Added 2/25/2009 at 01:29 AM ---

I don't see it happening, but like I said, I wouldn't hate it. But I also won't hate it if they dont sign him.

K Train
02-25-2009, 02:34 AM
you make good points....i just want someone with some ****ing stones on that line that is also talented. just lets not forget he is well over 100 years old by now and has some injury problems...hence his easy release. if we get a center we should go after jason brown whos really one of the best centers in the league. too bad max wont allow a move like that

TEEMONT
02-25-2009, 02:36 AM
you make good points....i just want someone with some ****ing stones on that line that is also talented. just lets not forget he is well over 100 years old by now and has some injury problems...hence his easy release. if we get a center we should go after jason brown whos really one of the best centers in the league. too bad max wont allow a move like that

**** fat max....

I thought Satruday was a URFA

K Train
02-25-2009, 02:43 AM
yeah, but they didnt have any problems letting him go....hes been saying hes gonna test FA because the colts wont resign him

**** max

JensK
02-25-2009, 03:33 AM
I just want some young blood on that line... We need to rebuild it sooner or later.. May as well start now, and signing an old player is not the way to go imo

Zachintosh66
02-25-2009, 07:28 AM
hmmm, could move hartwig to G... interesting. Agree, wouldnt hate it either.

lloydfan4life
02-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Don't you think his experience, knowledge and leadership would be a good thing for our Oline? :dunno:

Sir Blitzelot
02-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Saturday would be an upgrade to the offensive line, but what concerns me is his age.

TampaSteelGirl
02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
I'd love to see Saturday in Black and Gold! I think it would be a great move! Seems since Dungy is gone no one wants to play for the Colts now. I think he'd be a great asset. An experienced lineman...i'm all for it! :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2009, 09:05 AM

I think the Steelers are content with Hartwig right now plus they have Stapleton who can also play Guard. If Saturday was willing to come in and compete for a starting job and be willing to play G or T he would could be a valuable pickup and a good Veteran leader on the line. I don't think it will happen either but it wouldn't be the worse signing in the world if it's for a reasonable price.

yinzer
02-25-2009, 09:07 AM
eh, i don't know. he's old. on the other hand, he's only allowed 3.5 sacks in the past 3 years or something like that. i'm sure ben would appreciate it.

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I think the Steelers are content with Hartwig right now plus they have Stapleton who can also play Guard. If Saturday was willing to come in and compete for a starting job and be willing to play G or T he would could be a valuable pickup and a good Veteran leader on the line. I don't think it will happen either but it wouldn't be the worse signing in the world if it's for a reasonable price.

We will see how content they are in the draft. Hartwig is not a good center. Is he better than Mahan? My grandmother is better than Mahan so that isn't saying much. Hartwig is a very weak run blocker and when you rewatch the games and pay close attention to the interior line, they don't get much of a push at all. Most games they are driven backwards. Hartwig was a 6th round pick for the Titans who allowed him to leave for the Panthers. Panthers released him when they signed Kalil. This guy is not a strong anchor to build the line around. People need to get over it that we didn't win #6 because of our strong offense. We were bottom half in both rushing and passing and this rank falls mostly on our O-line. I would be happy with 2 new guards and a new center when the season starts next year. Don't care whether those players be free agents or draftees, just get some players who can get some push in that line. Its pitiful that we struggled all year to gain a yard or a foot when we needed it for a 1st down or a touchdown. :evilshake:

ejsteeler
02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
We will see how content they are in the draft. Hartwig is not a good center. Is he better than Mahan? My grandmother is better than Mahan so that isn't saying much. Hartwig is a very weak run blocker and when you rewatch the games and pay close attention to the interior line, they don't get much of a push at all. Most games they are driven backwards. Hartwig was a 6th round pick for the Titans who allowed him to leave for the Panthers. Panthers released him when they signed Kalil. This guy is not a strong anchor to build the line around. People need to get over it that we didn't win #6 because of our strong offense. We were bottom half in both rushing and passing and this rank falls mostly on our O-line. I would be happy with 2 new guards and a new center when the season starts next year. Don't care whether those players be free agents or draftees, just get some players who can get some push in that line. Its pitiful that we struggled all year to gain a yard or a foot when we needed it for a 1st down or a touchdown. :evilshake:

Bingo!!! This will be the deciding factor for a run to 7 this year. Can we get the hard yard or two when needed. Couldn't do it last year. A 1 year deal with Saturday for a low price could help and with some draftee's that can learn and build into the following years would at least be a step up from last year.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey i'm all for youth on the O-Line, but i would love to have an veteran who knows what the F#&K is going on on the line an make the right calls, an help get the boys on the same page, That was our problem last year:yesnod:He will come cheap because he wants to be an Steeler,:tt02: i say an two year deal an let the other centers learn from him, Hartwig played all 16 last year but he gave up 6.5 sacks also, but i trust in the FO to make the right moves.:yellowthumb:

SteelCityKid5
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
We know Saturday is interested but, we don't know if the Steelers are. It all depends on what happens to Chris K. They said he will test the market. I say if Chris K goes, we try to get Saturday. I think Saturday has great experience but, I dont know how well he run blocks. All the Steelers need to do is add depth and build a better than average o-line for #7.

K Train
02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
saturday is a master of line adjustments....thats his game, and its a very underrated part of the game

Dean Denton
02-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I hear the Steelers are looking at Max Unger in the draft at center. If they can get him, and what a score that would be. I say Bring in Saturday to mentor him. Saturday is 32 or 33, and could help groom a young center over the next year or so. Saturday can still play. Look how crappy Manning did last year without him. Everyone was saying Manning was rusty from missing training camp and pre-season. funny how the rust fell off once Jeff came back.

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I hear the Steelers are looking at Max Unger in the draft at center. If they can get him, and what a score that would be. I say Bring in Saturday to mentor him. Saturday is 32 or 33, and could help groom a young center over the next year or so. Saturday can still play. Look how crappy Manning did last year without him. Everyone was saying Manning was rusty from missing training camp and pre-season. funny how the rust fell off once Jeff came back.

Where did you hear the Steelers were looking at Unger other than the endless mock drafts I have seen from sports writers? What is the source?

Dean Denton
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Where did you hear the Steelers were looking at Unger other than the endless mock drafts I have seen from sports writers? What is the source?
NFL network. Does that not count?

Stlrs4Life
02-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Don't you think his experience, knowledge and leadership would be a good thing for our Oline? :dunno:

Sure would be, I would love to sign him, but believe we don't have the $$ to sign him.

TampaSteelGirl
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM

I saw Unger on the combine..he looked pretty fierce!

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
NFL network. Does that not count?

Do we know if the Steelers interviewed Unger at the combine? I am just trying to figure out if this was something that was projected by a draft analyst like Mike Mayock or Mel Kiper, or was this from within the Steeler organization. I would take the information with a little more credibility if it was from the organization.

Dean Denton
02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Do we know if the Steelers interviewed Unger at the combine? I am just trying to figure out if this was something that was projected by a draft analyst like Mike Mayock or Mel Kiper, or was this from within the Steeler organization. I would take the information with a little more credibility if it was from the organization. I dont know. I didn't watch all of it. I'm sure they did. They guy is a top pick. He should be there at 32. I dont think he was the top center over all, but he is up there. Pac 10 boy....Buddies with Dixon too.

Troyisabeast_43
02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
We know Saturday is interested but, we don't know if the Steelers are. It all depends on what happens to Chris K. They said he will test the market. I say if Chris K goes, we try to get Saturday. I think Saturday has great experience but, I dont know how well he run blocks. All the Steelers need to do is add depth and build a better than average o-line for #7.

If Saturday wants to come here and play guard like he says he wants too with the talent and experience that he has then goodbye Chris Kemo dont let the door hit you in your big Samoan *** on the way out...Signing Saturday and especially playing him at guard automatically upgrades this offensive line for next season in a tremendous way...This is story I hope is accurate and one that I hope also happens as well.

Dean Denton
02-25-2009, 04:10 PM
If Saturday wants to come here and play guard like he says he wants too with the talent and experience that he has then goodbye Chris Kemo dont let the door hit you in your big Samoan *** on the way out...Signing Saturday and especially playing him at guard automatically upgrades this offensive line for next season in a tremendous way...This is story I hope is accurate and one that I hope also happens as well. I agree its an upgrade. He can help groom a new center if we get one by calling out the plays and what not. He's great at reading the Def. not to mention we have a great back up center if we need him.

Captcoolhand
02-25-2009, 04:22 PM
The insanity that is known as the NFL free agency signing period is about to start.

Perennial Pro-Bowler Jeff Saturday has declined the offer made to him by the Indianapolis Colts. Saturday has instructed his agent to contact the Steelers on Friday, because he wants to be a Steeler.

Everyone that watched the Steelers this year knows they are in need of some serious O-Line help.

As stated earlier, Saturday has told his agent that he wants to be a Steeler. Depending on how much money he wants to make, this is now a distinct possibility. Saturday said he is even willing to move to Guard, the position he originally played.
Saturdays agent, Ralph Cindrich told the Pittsburgh Tribune that Saturday is a Rooney type of guy if there ever was one.
Saturday is entering his 12th season. At 33 years old, will not be a long-term solution to any of the Steelers long term needs on the line, however he would be a great short term solution.
Jeff seems pretty determined to play for the Steelers..

Stairwayto7
02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
saturday, at guard would be a step up until we can draft a youngster and bring him along, besides he would be a good coach of a younger player

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Amen. Jeff Saturday is a lunchpale blue collar type of player which is what the Rooney's love. Yes, he would be an upgrade at any of the interior line positions. I would love to see Saturday in the starting line-up come September. And if he really wants to be a Steeler that badly that we are the only team he told his agents to contact, perhaps he will be willing to give the Rooney's a hometown discount. Saturday would be a huge upgrade over Hartwig. We got Hartings at the end of his career too and he gave us some good years before he retired. Throw a couple day 1 draft picks in with Saturday and we could have a O-line to be reckoned with next year. :yesnod:

Callax
02-25-2009, 07:31 PM
I'd say if keomautu wants to go (to oakland), then we just let him and we go after saturday, we let hartwig and saturday battle over starting center and the loser goes to guard; saturday most likely would win and if we go after unger, he would have a great teacher in saturday... sign saturday to a 2 year deal, not too long of a term and unger should be ready to take over that is all depending that kemo wants to leave and rumor control has he wants to go to OAKLAND!!

OAKLAND, Where careers go to die!!!! welcome to mediocrity for the rest of your career!!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2009, 09:44 PM

Jason Brown yes and no to Jeff Saturday..........I agree Ktrain......Saturday is past his prime.....He wouldn't weaken the Steelers OL by no means but at this point it wouldn't be huge upgrade......Jason Brown would and he would be a blow to the Ravens OL as well.....Great minds think alike....lol

TEEMONT
02-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Jason Brown yes and no to Jeff Saturday..........I agree Ktrain......Saturday is past his prime.....He wouldn't weaken the Steelers OL by no means but at this point it wouldn't be huge upgrade......Jason Brown would and he would be a blow to the Ravens OL as well.....Great minds think alike....lol

The question is would Brown want to sign with us for what Saturday might be willing to sign with us? You can thank Fat Starks for us being limited in our options.

Saturday is a pretty huge improvement for at least two-three years.

igor0190
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
If we draft Unger we need him to start ASAP. Not in 2 years

BlackGold4vr
02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Jeff Saturday | (Colts) | 2.0 sacks allowed | (12 starts)
Jason Brown | (Ravens) | 2.25 sacks allowed | (16 starts)
Justin Harwig | (Steelers) | 6.5 sacks allowed | (16 starts)

Saturday would be a huge improvement over what we had and could probably be signed easier than Brown. Plus he doesn't care if we use him at guard.

LT - Max Starks/Trai Essex
LG - Eric Wood/Tyronne Green (cut Hartwig)
C - Jeff Saturday/Darnell Stapelton
RG - Willie Colon/Kendall Simmons
RT - Tony Hills/Cornelius Lewis or Jamon Meredith

igor0190
02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Too much emphasis on pass blocking on here... I want to see solid road grading run blockers on our line. If we can pound the ball with our talent at tailback then teams won't be able to tee up on the pass rush as much and it will all fall in place.

Is Saturday a good run blocker? ???????? If not, I would not want anything to do with him.

JensK
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Too much emphasis on pass blocking on here... I want to see solid road grading run blockers on our line. If we can pound the ball with our talent at tailback then teams won't be able to tee up on the pass rush as much and it will all fall in place.

Is Saturday a good run blocker? ???????? If not, I would not want anything to do with him.

Saturday is a decent run blocker. He is not as strong as he used to be, but with a solid line he'll do just fine. We have to account for pass-rush since Ben is getting owned and won't last untill he is 30 if he keps getting stomped like the last two years.

I would LOVE a line like this:

C - Alex Mack/Darnell Stapelton
RG - Jeff Saturday/Willie Colon (Cut Simmons)

That way we could try to get a talented CB in this draft hopefully and then we'd be able to concentrate on d-line / CB next year. We would have a young line and we'd only have to focus on getting a new Guard, which could be done next year as well and then eventually start shifting him and Saturday. That would rock

DIESELMAN
02-26-2009, 01:05 PM

FYI Guys!!! Ravens have cut off talks with Brown.....

A very interesting 24 hours lies ahead for the Baltimore Ravens.
And the first domino has fallen. According to an NFL source, the club has informed center Jason Brown that he is not in their plans for the 2009 season.

Brown, who turns 26 in June, is expected to garner immediate, strong interest from four or five clubs when the NFL’s free-agency period opens at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

Brown started in '06 and '07 at guard for the Ravens, before moving to center to replace Mike Flynn last season.

The move to let Brown leave allows Baltimore to focus on its two free-agent linebackers, Bart Scott and Ray Lewis.

Negotiations are ongoing with both players -- with the expectation that the Ravens will be able re-sign one, but not both -- and are expected to run up to midnight, when the club will lose exclusive negotiating rights.

The Cowboys continue to come up as a possible landing spot for Lewis, despite Dallas owner Jerry Jones’ insistence that his club will not be big players in free agency. Former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan’s presence with the Jets makes New York a possible suitor for either player.

JensK
02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Well i would rather have Brown over Saturday, but i don't think we'll be able to get Brown. He'll demand to much money, or at least more than our cap can affort thanks to our beloved Starks..

Dean Denton
02-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Saturday is a decent run blocker. He is not as strong as he used to be, but with a solid line he'll do just fine. We have to account for pass-rush since Ben is getting owned and won't last untill he is 30 if he keps getting stomped like the last two years.

I would LOVE a line like this:

C - Alex Mack/Darnell Stapelton
RG - Jeff Saturday/Willie Colon (Cut Simmons)

That way we could try to get a talented CB in this draft hopefully and then we'd be able to concentrate on d-line / CB next year. We would have a young line and we'd only have to focus on getting a new Guard, which could be done next year as well and then eventually start shifting him and Saturday. That would rock I like that line too. but I think Darnell is going to be better then what he has been.

K Train
02-26-2009, 07:22 PM
the ravens might have cut off talks but he wants faneca money, and even though he deserves faneca money more than faneca i dont think we would make that kind of splash in FA

BlackGold4vr
02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I like that line too. but I think Darnell is going to be better then what he has been.

I think you might be right. All he needs to do is go see the wizard of oz and get one of those "create-a-pro-bowler" miracle pills. Then he'll be a stud, I'm sure of it!

:lol:

K Train
02-26-2009, 07:37 PM
colts agreed to terms with saturday

Troyisabeast_43
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090226/SPORTS03/90226054

Yep here is the link to confirm it...

Zachintosh66
02-26-2009, 08:04 PM
bye jeff... it woulda been fun

Stlrs4Life
02-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Sure would have been.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-26-2009, 09:06 PM
:cursin:We've could of use that knowledge an leadership on the O-Line that's what's missing also:yesnod:, Jason Brown wants 8 mill an year i hear, i doubt seriously the Rooneys are gonna pay that:nono:Oh well back to the Draft board:tt02:

Callax
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but he played us, just to get Indy to resign him...

Stairwayto7
02-27-2009, 10:47 AM
nah, I think he would come. And ESPN said he would be the best bang for the buck out of the entire free agency group.

yinzer
03-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but he played us, just to get Indy to resign him...

definitely possible but i bet a part of him really wanted to play for us.

TampaSteelGirl
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Who wouldn't want to play for such an upstanding winning organization??