PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Legursky to 2 yr deal

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Steelers sign Legursky to two-year deal
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sport...-two-year-deal (http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x376552837/Steelers-sign-Legursky-to-two-year-deal)
February 05, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

ANTHONY HANSHEW

The Herald-Dispatch

Not bad, earning a promotion following a Super Bowl championship celebration.

Following a week's preparation in Tampa, Doug Legursky the practice squad member looked on while his Pittsburgh Steelers dramatically rallied past Arizona for the Super Bowl XLIII trophy. Three days later, the former Marshall University football standout was rewarded with a two-year contract, cementing active roster status.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but Legursky obviously was more than content Wednesday evening.

"It's definitely a good feeling," the 6-foot-1, 323-pound offensive lineman said. "This is a good situation. We've got a lot of guys up for free agency, but hopefully we'll keep most of them."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Legursky's former Mid-American Conference rival, connected with Santonio Holmes, a former opponent at Ohio State, for the winning touchdown, providing a signature Super Bowl moment. The thrilling victory capped Legursky's rookie season featuring two early releases before earning a secure practice squad spot.

"It was an awesome, awesome experience," said Legursky, a four-year Thundering Herd starter from 2003-07. "We had a great week of preparation. There was a lot of commitment and focus but we wanted to have a good time as well as prepare for the game.

"And then to have the great game that it was with the atmosphere and great plays all over the place. It was fun to watch everyone's hard work come together to win a Super Bowl."

Following the equivalent of a college redshirt season in the pros, Legursky now turns attention to producing on game days. He's lined up at center and guard and likely will serve dual duties again this season. Bottom line, the Beckley native is more than ready for NFL playing time.

"I'm just going to go in with the same mindset to get better and show that I'm capable of being a good player in any way they need me," Legursky said. "This season was kind of tough. I got a job yes, but I want to contribute as well as I can.

"I'm definitely so glad that we got that victory. It's a great feeling and I hope to have that feeling as a player some day."

$teelersRule
02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
i still have really high hopes for this guy i think he has a lot of potential, does anyone think he might compete for a spot this year?

K Train
02-23-2009, 11:45 PM
the dude is a freak in the weight room...hes definitely got the size and stregth the play the position, i just hope hes got what it takes to put it all togther and maybe get a fair shor

Troyisabeast_43
02-23-2009, 11:57 PM
the dude is a freak in the weight room...hes definitely got the size and stregth the play the position, i just hope hes got what it takes to put it all togther and maybe get a fair shor

As many problems as this o-line still has despite winning the Super Bowl and having no stability on it, and possibly losing more guys from the o-line in free agency they should be open to looking at and trying out anybody who has size and that looks like they can play the position and compete for a starting spot on the o-line. Legursky definitely fits into that category and deserves a chance to win a possible starting job on the o-line.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
It's time for these cats on the O-Line to put up or shut up, Capizzi, Legursky,Essex, etc....this is the perfect oppurtunity for them to show Tomlin an the coaches that they belong on the field:yesnod: But with this draft so deep in O-Line men we should still draft one or two O-Linemen, if we get the right O-Line in place for 09,we are gonna be an very dangerous team.:tt02:

Zachintosh66
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
this one is easy... hes a scrub!

Stapleton beat this guy out, enuff said.

Sir Blitzelot
02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
This is a nice story, but he is going to have a difficult time finding a spot on the team come training camp. I wish him the best of luck!

Silverback 92
02-24-2009, 05:48 PM
he is a big monster any way

K Train
02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
this one is easy... hes a scrub!

Stapleton beat this guy out, enuff said.
i dont agree, maybe stapleton won the job just because of understanding of the playbook...we dont really know. legursky is freakishly strong, stapleton is not so who knows. maybe a year in hes a better player, i guess we'll see.

its funny how some of thes guys that we follow end up on the team...B@G32 followed him all offseason long and sure enough we signed him after the draft...its happened a couple times

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
i dont agree, maybe stapleton won the job just because of understanding of the playbook...we dont really know. legursky is freakishly strong, stapleton is not so who knows. maybe a year in hes a better player, i guess we'll see.

its funny how some of thes guys that we follow end up on the team...B@G32 followed him all offseason long and sure enough we signed him after the draft...its happened a couple times

You know Doug is my guy.......I think he might be a reason why the team doesn't draft a center....Plus with Hartwig and Stapleton there isn't a big need for center this year....The only reason I would support the drafting of a Wood or Mack is since they also could play OG......I don't think Legursky will ever be a Pro Bowl type center but I do think he could be a solid starter in the NFL one day.....I will be rooting for him.....

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
This is a nice story, but he is going to have a difficult time finding a spot on the team come training camp. I wish him the best of luck!

Some people have their Jason Capizzi love, others have the Legursky fantasy. But in reality they are both in the same boat. Training camp fodder and practice squad hell. Either one are great stories if they made the team. Both local boys. I love rooting for the underdogs too but in the offensive line where our team needs the most help, I don't believe the answer to our prayers will come through UFA's. :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Some people have their Jason Capizzi love, others have the Legursky fantasy. But in reality they are both in the same boat. Training camp fodder and practice squad hell. Either one are great stories if they made the team. Both local boys. I love rooting for the underdogs too but in the offensive line where our team needs the most help, I don't believe the answer to our prayers will come through UFA's. :2cents:

Ok but the Steelers have a real nice track record with undrafted FA's.....Donnie Shell, Willie Parker, James Harrison, and Nate Washington.....I agree this team needs to add eltie talent to the OL no doubt....But at the same time don't be shocked if Legursky at least can become a solid player in this league....I will be rooting for him....By no means am I suggesting Doug Legursky is the answer to the Steeler OL woes.....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2009, 12:50 PM
With the way the line is right now, in a state of flux, Legursky & Capizzi are both viable options. Between Hartwig, Stapleton, and Legursky on the roster now the Center position is the least of our worries. Hartwig can do the job and if Tomlin wants to do a full out competition in camp this year then by all means let's see who can win the job. Our G & T situation is far worse right now, so if we can say "hey we've got a good Center and some nice prospects to back him" then lets focus on the other areas surrounding him and get this ship in the right direction.

K Train
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
lol its funny that we would use terms like lets get this ship back in the right direction after just winning the superbow....we are the most high maitenence ****ing fans ever lol

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
lol its funny that we would use terms like lets get this ship back in the right direction after just winning the superbow....we are the most high maitenence ****ing fans ever lol

Cardinal fans had to be threatened with a blackout to even buy tickets to their first home playoff game in decades. I would say that we are just fans who know our team well. We know that this team rode a #1 defense to a championship. We know that the likelihood of repeating will depend more on sureing up a struggling offense than on our defense. 23rd running, 17th passing, 29th or 30th in protecting our franchise QB. Those are all things that need to improve. Our defense almost singlehandedly won 3 or 4 games for us this year. You cannot count on maintaining that kind of production from that unit, so its likely that if this team is going to improve it will likely need to come from the offensive side of the ball. We are spoiled fans! :lol: