PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read on Holmes

Stairwayto7
02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Interesting read on Holmes... not saying that I agree, but a good read nonetheless.

Is Santonio Holmes the Real Offensive MVP of the NFL?

By design, voting for the NFL's MVP Award takes place after the regular season and before the playoffs. Each player gets the same 16 opportunities to make a case for the award. Peyton Manning was deemed this year's Most Valuable Player after 16 games. So be it. But let's project the real Most Valuable Players, after the entire body of work ending February 1. Is it fair to project Santonio Holmes as the NFL's Most Vauable Offensive Player? (James Harrison, of course, would be the MVDP.)

Holmes caught 55 passes this past season for 821 yards and five touchdowns. If you are a "stat geek," you probably don't want to read any more of this. Isaac Bruce, a guy who I honestly didn't think was in the league anymore, had better numbers than Holmes in all three areas. If "valuable" translates to "statistical," then indeed Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, ringing up the pass register, will be your Most Valuable Player. But if valuable really means valuable, and the team that wins the Super Bowl can rightfully claim a higher stake in what was valuable to them, then Santonio Holmes is your guy.

The Steelers had to beat an outstanding Baltimore Raven team three times this year in order to get to the promised land. As two monster defenses collided, only one player on the Steelers offense scored a touchdown in any of those three games. Santonio Holmes. And he scored touchdowns in all three games. The Steelers were getting handled 13-3 in the first game, when Holmes took a short slant pass all the way to the house electrifying both the crowd and the Steelers defense, who scored themselves 14 seconds later. In the second game it was Holmes who kept both feet on the ground coaxing the ball as it broke the plane, a catch that may have been the difference between playing three road games in the playoffs, or just two at home. In the playoff game, it was Holmes who played possum while Ben scrambled, again taking a short pass and running a long way across and then down the field for a score.

Read the rest of the story here:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/2/23/764795/is-santonio-holmes-the-rea

steelcityrockers
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah...I disagree completely. Football Outsiders did a write up on Holmes. He had a pretty average season. I don't feel like digging up the link, but If I remember right he was thrown at about 6 times per game with a success rate of 60% which is quite mediocre. Holmes in no way should even cross your mind as the MVP. His Super Bowl stats are quite inflated due to the last drive as well. I personally thought DeAngelo Williams should have gotten the awaard

igor0190
02-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Michael Turner should have got it... But Peyton is the poster child for the NFL and does all those commercials and promos for them, so he was a shoe in. He didn't even have a good year, just 5-6 of the last games before voting which were against terrible teams. It's too bad he ain't clutch like Ben.

Troyisabeast_43
02-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I dont know about the regular season but Holmes could easily make a case for offensive MVP for the entire playoff season for sure. He has the numbers and the big catches and plays to back it up. Nobody aside from Fitzgerald came close to having made the big amount of clutch catches and plays that Holmes did throughout the entire playoff season...The play where he really set the tone and came of age I think was the punt return against San Diego that tied the game at 7-7 after falling behind 7-0 early on in that game...

TampaSteelGirl
02-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I dont know about the regular season but Holmes could easily make a case for offensive MVP for the entire playoff season for sure. He has the numbers and the big catches and plays to back it up. Nobody aside from Fitzgerald came close to having made the big amount of clutch catches and plays that Holmes did throughout the entire playoff season...The play where he really set the tone and came of age I think was the punt return against San Diego that tied the game at 7-7 after falling behind 7-0 early on in that game...

I was thinking Fitzgerald should have gotten it as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Holmes was looking forward to a real big season this year, it didn't happen in the regular season but man did he ever come through in the playoffs. He wasn't terrible this year, not by any stretch, he made a ton of big plays but I really want to see him be consistent week in and week out in 2009. We're going to need him even more next year.

JensK
02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Holmes was a product of the system this year. All offence underperformed in the regular season (more or less). He is going to be great but he is a guy who is only as good as the system allows. He is, imo, no a Fitzgerrald who'll win a game on his own. He needs the offence to step up with him. When the o-line performes Big Ben performes. When Big Ben performes the WR's performe. Holmes is no different. He needs the rest of the system to work which it did in the play-offs.