PDA

View Full Version : Would losing McFadden hurt the Steelers defense next season???

Troyisabeast_43
02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I for one would like for McFadden to stay. The guy's been a solid (if not spectacular) performer in his short career and I believe his best days are ahead. Incase we forget, he pretty much salvaged the Indy playoff game a few years ago with a great play in the endzone going up against Reggie Wayne. Gay is decent but he's better suited as the third corner in the nickel package. Hopefully, B-Mac won't start thinking more highly of himself than he should and will negotiate a reasonable offer to stay in the Black & Gold. I feel if the Steelers give him a decent deal, he would probably sign it knowing the Steelers can contend for the next few season, and he will be playing with a GREAT D!!!!

Yes money is the most important thing, but after you have been used to winning SB's why would you want to take alot of money and go play for a ****** team?? As we sit here right now I think if the Steelers offer McFadden a fair deal he will probably take it but it wont be easy to do that's for sure.

Callax
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I think he knows the sum of the parts is greater than the individual parts... He played well and when he was out, the Defense didn't miss a beat with Taylor, Gay and Townsend
I think Pitt will offer him something about 4 years 14 million I hope he doesn't get greedy and want 4 yr 30 million but I don't think a team is gonna offer himthat kind of scratch. He's good Solid not spectacular!!!

K Train
02-22-2009, 09:27 PM
wouldnt be the end of the world...id like him back though

Troyisabeast_43
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I think he knows the sum of the parts is greater than the individual parts... He played well and when he was out, the Defense didn't miss a beat with Taylor, Gay and Townsend
I think Pitt will offer him something about 4 years 14 million I hope he doesn't get greedy and want 4 yr 30 million but I don't think a team is gonna offer himthat kind of scratch. He's good Solid not spectacular!!!

I think it's going to take more then 4 years 14 million to keep him around here. Now I dont know what the exact numbers are going to be but I think the Steelers are going to have to offer him at least somewhere in the range of close to 5 million a season I believe if they expect to keep him. There is no way he is going to stay here for only 3.5 million dollars a season like you just mentioned with those numbers you threw out there. There are a number of teams interested in McFadden such as the Titans and the Patriots who will definitely throw out more money then 3.5 million a season at him. It's going to be a matter of like I said if he is willing to take a fair deal and hang around here and have an excellent chance to win more rings, or if he is going to want to take the one big payday that every NFL player get their chance to get at least once in their career.

Iron City South
02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
BMac is now considered "seasoned" and is going into his prime as a player. Let's just say that if he leaves now ... we're going to miss out on his best years ever as a player.

K Train
02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
gay will come in and we wont miss a beat though, this is a deep corner class....we can get some talented guys in the 2nd or 3rd to add some depth. i trust whatever they decide to do with him.

maybe if they could ****ing sign starks this would be easier

Iron City South
02-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Call me crazy, but I like BMac's cover skills more than I do Ike Taylors.

$teelersRule
02-22-2009, 09:49 PM

your crazy :nahnah:

Thomas_43
02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Colbert said today at the combine that he expects teams to offer B-Mac TOP dollar. He thinks that he is the best corner available in free agency at the moment, because of the Asomugha and Hayden signings, and that Dunta Robinson Franchise tag. Colbert also said that this years draft is deep in Cb's......to me that means they are ready to part with B-mac if he doesn't accept their mediocre contract.

yinzer
02-22-2009, 10:07 PM

disagree. i think BMac's ball skills are way better than ike's but ike's cover skills are very good.

K Train
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
hayden is trash and he got a big deal....i think mcfadden is good as gone and we can blame starks

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2009, 12:14 AM
McFadden is primed to become a top notch DB in the league, if he wouldn't have gotten injured this year it might have been even better. He's a top priority right now, and with Starks getting the tag the front office can work to get a deal done for BMac. Gay is ready to step up into a more prominent role but if we can get McFadden back it will be all the better for us from a depth standpoint. I really think they are going to be pretty aggressive in keeping him around.

Tim Lumber
02-23-2009, 01:41 AM
Here's the million dollar question the rest of the NFL GM's will be waiting on..Will the Steelers re-sign one of the better CB's in the league in McFadden or will they allow him to test the waters of Free Agency this friday? Its reported on Baltimore talk radio's that the Ravens who just cut ties with dis-gruntled CB Chris McAllister and also appear to be on the verge of cutting CB Rolle would be interested! Do you think McFadden a core member of the Steelers defense remains with the black and gold in 09? Or do you think the Steelers will let him go? Whats your take on this Steeler Addicts! This is a very interesting topic to me!

JensK
02-23-2009, 03:10 AM
It all depends on whether they can work out a deal with Starks or not. It would be hard to sign McFadden again if we have to pay Starks 8 mil and work out something with Harrison. That leaves very little cap room to work out a big deal with McFadden.

NCSteeler
02-23-2009, 05:14 AM
I think they let him walk. Colbert has already been quoted as saying this is one of the deepest most talent laden CB drafts in a many years.

He can go where ever he wants, if he enjoys losign to Us then he should sign with Baltimorons.

DIESELMAN
02-23-2009, 07:29 AM
hayden is trash and he got a big deal....i think mcfadden is good as gone and we can blame starks
Have to agree with you on Starks.....he signed his offer 3 days after he got it, he knows he's not worth anything on the FA market. He needs to man up and walk his fatass into the FO and tell them he wants to cut a deal.....whatever the Steelers offer him. As far as BMac goes, with Silverback needing to be resigned and a few other players, I doubt we resign him unless he really wants to stay in Pittsburgh and takes whatever the Steelers offer him. Gay is solid and the more playing he gets the better he will get.

Sir Blitzelot
02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
It's hard to say until we know how much Starks will be paid. If the Steelers have enough cap room after signing Starks, they will resign McFadden. If Starks costs too much, epect to see a lot more William Gay next year.

JensK
02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
It's hard to say until we know how much Starks will be paid. If the Steelers have enough cap room after signing Starks, they will resign McFadden. If Starks costs too much, epect to see a lot more William Gay next year.

After Starks and Harrison that is.. Harrison will probably remove a million or 3 from the cap as well.

SteelerSal
02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
William Gay is capable of starting opposite Ike. I know Tom can back me up on this one since we are both familiar with him from his playing days at Louisville.

Gay always had a knack to be in the right place at the right time at UofL and has shown great potential when givin the chance to play with the Steelers the past 2 seasons.

Hate to see McFadden go since that would mean that the cb position will have to be addressed sooner in the draft and in FA for depth.

K Train
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
i like gay alot...i think he could start and we wont miss a beat. Corner will need to be addressed in like the 2nd or 3rd round depending on whos available and how the draft shapes up. this class is very deep, it sucks that mcfadden will be gone before we really got our moneys worth out of him, he just won the starting job and has been made of glass over the last few years. but he can move on and we'll get another one of him and do it all over again. if he wants a $10 million a year contract i hope he gets it somewhere, its our #1 defense thats gonna make him look better than he is

Stairwayto7
02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I think Gay is also capable, but we need some depth also, thats what worries me. Townsend is like 53 now!

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I think it is a MUST that McFadden gets resigned. Deshea is getting old and isn't good enough to be a starter again.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Townsend can still get it done when he's on the field, he's a vet who knows how to make plays and is a good leader on the team. Having him and Gay along with McFadden and Taylor will keep our CB situation healthy and viable. It is imperative IMO to resign McFadden for sure, I hate losing guys to FA when you spend all those years developing them only to see their best years come on another team.

K Train
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I think it is a MUST that McFadden gets resigned. Deshea is getting old and isn't good enough to be a starter again.

no way is a MUST....its a luxury if hes back, if not we will be fine

ejsteeler
02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Would you cut a deal if you were Starks or would you ride another multi-million dollar magic carpet?.....

K Train
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Would you cut a deal if you were Starks or would you ride another multi-million dollar magic carpet?.....

i would use my massive size, grow a mean streak, put the time in and become a badass....i wouldnt be a mammoth teddy bear

TEEMONT
02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
i would use my massive size, grow a mean streak, put the time in and become a badass....i wouldnt be a mammoth teddy bear

a-****in-men

Met they guy twic, and his size just amazes me. I just can't believe he can't turn himself into a pro-bowler.

K Train
02-23-2009, 05:36 PM
yeah its not like we havent invested enough in him and its not like he hasnt had the opportunity...its all on him now, its not through a lack of effort on the steelers. unfortunately i think hes reached his full potential, and apparently mediocrity is very very expensive.

i guess its not all his fault, i mean he was a gaytor

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Would hate to see McFadden leave, but feel Gay can get the job done.

--- Added 2/23/2009 at 04:08 PM ---

Here's the million dollar question the rest of the NFL GM's will be waiting on..Will the Steelers re-sign one of the better CB's in the league in McFadden or will they allow him to test the waters of Free Agency this friday? Its reported on Baltimore talk radio's that the Ravens who just cut ties with dis-gruntled CB Chris McAllister and also appear to be on the verge of cutting CB Rolle would be interested! Do you think McFadden a core member of the Steelers defense remains with the black and gold in 09? Or do you think the Steelers will let him go? Whats your take on this Steeler Addicts! This is a very interesting topic to me!

You better worry more about your FA signings, looks like Ray Ray is leaving the Heroine Capitol of the world.

ejsteeler
02-23-2009, 07:22 PM

I'm with ya, but he didn't do it last year and I don't see him doing this year...

steelcityrockers
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
disagree. i think BMac's ball skills are way better than ike's but ike's cover skills are very good.

Eh, Ike's technique is lacking. He is a freaky athlete which more than compensates, usually, for his mental deficiencies. Despite often having an athletic advantage, he can be beat on fairly simple routes (i.e. the Super Bowl when Fitz took a slant route for a 67 yard TD) He has been in the league for quite a while now, yet it seems he is still pretty raw. Still has yet to hit his peak, and at this point I wonder if he really will.

Troyisabeast_43
02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
BMac is now considered "seasoned" and is going into his prime as a player. Let's just say that if he leaves now ... we're going to miss out on his best years ever as a player.

I agree ICS and I think McFadden is very underrated as a corner in this league and I do believe like you said his best years are ahead of him and that he has potential to be a possible shutdown corner. He tackles well, he is never out of position, and has a knack for making big plays and getting interceptions. He made some huge plays early on in the season in the games in Cleveland,here against Baltimore and at Jacksonville. Im talking key pass break-ups and key tackles on 3rd downs late in all those games that were big plays. That's the kind of player the Steelers are going to be losing if they let McFadden walk. Having the same secondary going into next season where the Steelers I believe have one more good season left with this current group on D and current team overall to win back to back Lombardi Trophy's would make this defense and Steelers team all the more better. I think losing McFadden will hurt the defense and have an affect on the play of the secondary in someways just my opinion...

Brady Quinn
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I am not sure it matter what 11 you play on d, your d is that good!

Iron City South
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Eh, Ike's technique is lacking. He is a freaky athlete which more than compensates, usually, for his mental deficiencies. Despite often having an athletic advantage, he can be eat on fairly simple routes (i.e. the Super Bowl when Fitz took a slant route for a 67 yard TD) He has been in the league for quite a while now, yet it seems he is still pretty raw. Still has yet to hit his peak, and at this point I wonder if he really will.

Trust your instincts, they are correct. Ike is not and never will be as fundimentally sound as B-Mac. Ike has probably the worst hands in the league for a corner and absolutely blows in any type of man coverage. Sure, he can play a soft zone, but who can't? B-Mac is a natural while Ike is not .... that's the real difference. :yesnod: