PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Colts & Patriots possibly interested in Fred Taylor

Steel Trap86
02-22-2009, 05:28 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ref=si_writers

Now, the first question for Fred Taylor is: Why should anyone in the NFL take a chance on you? Taylor's 33 years old, which is the age running backs often are in their third year of retirement. Or fourth.

Well, there are three reasons why Taylor is a very good gamble -- and not even a significant gamble, because he's not going to cost much money -- for a contender who needs a back to carry the ball 200 times this fall:

1. Taylor hasn't gotten too beaten up over the second half of his career, so he should be able to be the kind of role-playing back a contender could use. Since turning 28 five years ago, he's been a part-time running back and he's averaged 210 carries a year over that span.

2. He also averaged 4.7 yards-per-carry over that five-year stretch. Now, last year that number plummeted to 3.9 a pop, and teams will look at that drop off and say, "He's falling off a cliff.'' Maybe he is. It's a legitimate concern, and it'll take some pouring over tape to see if the holes simply weren't there for the Jags in 2008 (Maurice Jones-Drew's per-carry average also dropped, in his case half-a-yard from 2007-08) or if Taylor's really done.

3. Hunger. Taylor wants it bad.

"This change inspires me so much,'' he said from his Miami home late Monday. "I'm ready for it. It's like my first shot at free-agency. I expect to go somewhere and run till my wheels fall off.''
GALLERY: All-time rushing leaders for one team

Taylor's first words when I got him on the phone were, "Yeah, I got whacked." But he expected it. When the Jags called last Friday to say they wanted to meet with him in Miami on Monday, and that owner Wayne Weaver would be coming along, it was a pretty good hint they weren't coming down to discuss a salary cut.

"It was very professional and respectful by Mr. Weaver," said Taylor. "They handled it first-class, and I'm very appreciative of that. I am not disappointed in the Jags by any means. They could have just called me, or they could have called Drew [agent Drew Rosenhaus], but they took the extra step to come down here and tell me to my face. Men show up. Men tell you things to your face. And I will never forget that. I will call Mr. Weaver in a few years, and I will retire as a Jaguar. My loyalty for 11 years has been to the Jaguars, just like Emmitt Smith's loyalty was to the Cowboys. Whatever team I sign with, I will retire as a Jaguar.''

It's the time of year for the chopping block. Baltimore dumped Chris McAlister Monday. Denver cut Dewayne Robertson, one of the most disappointing high first-round picks in recent history. The Bucs will do the same in the next day or two with Jeff Garcia. So there's nothing surprising about Jacksonville cutting a 33-year-old running back as Jones-Drew prepares for the final season before his contract expires.

"Realistically, you anticipate it will come to this," Taylor said. "When you get past the 10-year mark, you can never be comfortable. They asked me if I was interested in retiring. I said no. Definitely no. I want to play in a Super Bowl so bad, and the Super Bowl's down here in Miami next year. I want to be in that game. Two years ago, Plaxico [Burress], my child's godfather, won the Super Bowl. This year, my little cousin from Belle Glade [Fla.], Santonio Holmes, was the MVP in the biggest game in the world. My taste for that game is getting stronger and stronger. And honestly, I feel fresh. I get inspired by young guys and showing them what I can do. There are a lot of young guys I'm still quicker than. God gave me a lot when he was handing out ability. I still have a lot."

I'll be surprised if Indianapolis, New England and Pittsburgh do not at least sniff around Taylor. The Colts have seen Taylor shred them several times over the past few years. Bill Belichick won Super Bowls with Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon, two backs in the twilight of their careers with something to prove, and he knows he can't trust Laurence Maroney to stay healthy. (I know he's got Sammy Morris, and I love Sammy Morris, but Taylor and Morris would be a pretty good 1-2 punch come December.) The Steelers have a very good insurance policy in Mewelde Moore behind Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall, but Mike Tomlin loves the running game, and he loves productive veterans.

New Orleans, Arizona, Chicago and Green Bay should sniff too.

We'll see. I say Taylor has a good contributing year left.

I'm a Freddy fan, but I dont think the Steelers would pay him nearly as much as the Colts would seeing as how we're stacked with RB's. If he's saying he wants to make a Superbowl run next season then Dangle a 1 or 2 year deal at him, if he takes the ****ing cheese, put him in.

MOTORKRAFT
02-22-2009, 07:20 AM
The Steelers are already set at the position. Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, and Russell. What more could anyone ask for. Also there is that other running back (whos name I can't remember). I'd rather stock up on the L.B.'s for the special teams.:imho:

yinzer
02-22-2009, 09:25 AM
we just don't need him.

vtwin_gary
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
i don't see us even "sniffing" on that.

Sir Blitzelot
02-22-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think we need anymore HB's at this point, and you have to wonder how much Taylor has left in the tank.

TEEMONT
02-22-2009, 11:55 AM
If the Steelers do take a look at him, Willie becomes expendable almost immediately. The only reason to sign Taylor, is to use Parker as trade bait in the draft, IMO. Which I would hate, but I would get over it.

K Train
02-22-2009, 12:04 PM
he will almost certainly be a patriot

TEEMONT
02-22-2009, 12:08 PM

is it just me or do the Pats have a 1,000 man roster?

AZ_Steeler
02-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I personally wouldn't mind seeing him in the black n gold... he always seems to rip the Steelers D apart, so what a better way to neutralize him than put him on the team! :)

I honestly don't see this happening though... he's no Bettis and can't through his weight around like the Bus did. Besides that... he's old!

JensK
02-22-2009, 12:35 PM
is it just me or do the Pats have a 1,000 man roster?

The Patriots Pratice Squard could probably easily beat Lions >.>

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2009, 01:22 PM
If the Steelers do take a look at him, Willie becomes expendable almost immediately. The only reason to sign Taylor, is to use Parker as trade bait in the draft, IMO. Which I would hate, but I would get over it.

That's what Im thinking too, if they even think about going after him that puts Parker on the trade block for draft day if not before. Taylor would be a 1 or 2 year stop gap to make sure Mendenhall is ready to carry the load. Really though I don't see it happening IMO.

Belichick loves those older veterans who are at the end of their career and looking for a championship, Taylor would be a perfect fit for them for like a 2 year deal.

Brady Quinn
02-22-2009, 01:37 PM
He will not start on most teams, but he will make a great no 2 back. I would like to have him in Cleveland since we have no running backs!

HUNT4SEVEN
02-22-2009, 02:08 PM

That's exactly what i was thinking:yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-22-2009, 02:27 PM
This is stupid.....Why would the Steelers want an aging Fred Taylor?....Just ****ing retarded.......Parker is still the starter and Mendenhall is the future.....Moore is a nice backup and very good 3rd down RB.....

BlackGold4vr
02-22-2009, 02:43 PM
This is stupid.....Why would the Steelers want an aging Fred Taylor?....Just ****ing retarded.......Parker is still the starter and Mendenhall is the future.....Moore is a nice backup and very good 3rd down RB.....

Some people are just obsessed with the brand names more than the product or the value. Which is why every time a team cuts an older player past their prime you can bet on someone here asking if we should grab them! Teams generally try to get younger, not older. Its a young mans game and there are risks signing players after 30, and bigger risks after 35, and insanity after 40. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Some people are just obsessed with the brand names more than the product or the value. Which is why every time a team cuts an older player past their prime you can bet on someone here asking if we should grab them! Teams generally try to get younger, not older. Its a young mans game and there are risks signing players after 30, and bigger risks after 35, and insanity after 40. :lol:

I could see if Taylor hasn't signed by the time the season has started and the Steelers suffered an major injury at the RB position then the Steelers might want a vet RB like Taylor....But right now it would make no sense for the Steelers to sign Taylor.....So I agree with you about the brand name....lol

I could see teams that need help at RB going after Taylor......

DIESELMAN
02-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Everywhere I've read this story, the Steelers aren't even mentioned. SI needs to stick to the swimsuit calendar :greengrin: No thanks on having fragile Fred in our backfield. We have plenty of talent back their as it is and having Taylor would just take up a roster spot meant for someone who will actually contribute.

stlrbum
02-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Taylor will not get a phone call from the Steelers. A RB is one thing we do not need.

Callax
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Freddy was great in his prime, but I really doubt he'll play in Pittsburgh unless Willie and Mendenhall go down with year ending injuries... "fragile freddie" might be good for a year and that will be about it..... (IF) Pitt signs him (IF) he comes in phenomenal shape but these things will not come to fruition...

Troyisabeast_43
02-22-2009, 09:10 PM

I agree 32 there is not a chance in hell of the Steelers even making a phone call to a guy like Fred Taylor. This running game is very solid now as you said with Willie,Mendenhall,Moore,and dont forget Gary Russell as well. While the Steelers even though they won the Super Bowl still have some key areas to address namely o-line and probably getting another receiver and getting younger on the d-line, running back is probably the lowest on the totem poll going into free agency and the draft.

Iron City South
02-22-2009, 09:37 PM
This article is exactly why I don't read "fluff" articles in the off-season. The entire article is nothing but words that take up space on a page.

Steelers will have absolutely ZERO interest in Taylor. None. The mere mention of it is baseless and immediately gives the writer zero credibility

Steel Trap86
02-22-2009, 11:40 PM

ya man i can see that, bellichik loves his veterans

I personally wouldn't mind seeing him in the black n gold... he always seems to rip the Steelers D apart, so what a better way to neutralize him than put him on the team! :)

Thats what I was thinking too. Fred Taylor is a beast, regardless of how old he is (33). He's not worth a whole lot right now either. Its still a long shot, but if he was willing to take a deal from the steelers then why not right? I think the Patriots will end up picking him up for some insane amount of money though, or the Colts, trying to add to the the ZERO running game they have lol.

TampaSteelGirl
02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Naaah! I don't see us bringing him aboard

LarryNJ
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM

My thoughts exactly. I don't see him coming here and I don't want him. He had a very good career but it's over. RB is one position where the young man has it all over the old and experienced.

ejsteeler
02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
This article is exactly why I don't read "fluff" articles in the off-season. The entire article is nothing but words that take up space on a page.

Steelers will have absolutely ZERO interest in Taylor. None. The mere mention of it is baseless and immediately gives the writer zero credibility

:ditto: 100% on the money.....

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2009, 05:57 PM

Don't worry B&G, this is coming from SI, not the Steelers front office. They will not be talking to Taylor.

Silverback 92
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
LETS BRING BACK #36 INSTEAD

Steel Trap86
02-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Don't worry B&G, this is coming from SI, not the Steelers front office.

lol exactly man, take it easy brother