PDA

View Full Version : Being a Fan

Steelers70
02-22-2009, 02:08 AM
It begins as a slight whisper in your head around the time of the NFL draft. By training camp it has become a constant chatter in your skull. During preseason that voice becomes pretty worked up. Week 1 the voice turns to a roar and you know it’s time for Steelers football, and you could never be the fan of any other team. Being a Steelers fan is year round for the rest of your life. Maybe you’re a Pittsburgh native, or a Pittsburgh transplant. Maybe you’re living half way around the world and have never even been to Pittsburgh. It doesn’t really matter. At some time you watched them play and something about them hooked you. It’s an incurable condition and you couldn’t escape it if you wanted to. And you don’t want to. Likely your wife/husband, girlfriend/boyfriend, or significant other is also a Steelers fan. It may not have been that way from the start of the relationship, but it didn’t take long for that other person to become infected also. Few are immune.

Dallas claims that it has more fans worldwide… Yet half their stadium waves the gold towels when our team shows up in their house. The Cardinals are the oldest team in the NFL, but they had to import Steelers players and Coaches to get to their first Super Bowl. We hear that Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning and Donavon McNabb are all better Quarterbacks than Big Ben Roethlisberger. And still he has more records set at his age than they did. When New England got caught cheating, their owner apologized and that was all. The Rooneys would have fired the head coach on the spot. Class, ability, talent, character, and work ethic are what Steelers football is all about. We’re the last of the smash mouth teams from old. The Raiders are a shell of themselves, Green Bay is mediocre at best, and the Bears have become teddy bears. Ravens? Thugs and criminals mostly, so they don’t count. When sports writers talk about the Steelers they always use the term “Blue Collar”, and rightfully so. You know that you worked hard to get where you’re at, and you know your team did too.

I’m of a mind where I actually feel sorry for fans of other teams. Most have lost their “traditions”. Others suffer through humiliation after humiliation with each season. I’ve met fans that couldn’t tell you who their favorite player was thirty-five years ago. Ask a Steelers fan that and you’ll get at least twenty-two different answers. Our team has so many Hall of Fame selections that the NFL should really consider relocating the building to Pittsburgh. Well, maybe not quite yet. But soon. The Steelers couldn’t afford to retire all the jerseys of past players of renown because there would be no jerseys for half the team. And the biggest point to remember about all of this is that not one of those players would have been great without all the others that were around them. Steelers football is about the team too. Working as one entity rather than showboating like Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, or a host of other players that are on lesser teams. The fans of those teams must have a hard time admitting to anyone outside their city that they support the team. Our Quarterback doesn’t operate an illicit dog fighting ring. Our Cornerback doesn’t have warrants from several states. The Rooneys don’t keep those players around. We send them to Dallas and Cincinnati.

We’re always told how much our team sucks. Yet they have SIX Lombardis now. The most of any team in the whole of the NFL. That automatically makes our team the best team in the NFL. And it goes without saying that some small bit of their success is due to the welcome support of the Steelers Nation. Now of course not everything can be perfect in the Steelers Nation. Life just doesn’t work that way. Us fans may disagree on politics, religion, or even whom to draft. But we all agree on our love of everything Steelers. All debates of the things we don’t agree on go out the window the minute the game starts. Republican? Democrat? Who Cares? Catholic? Protestant? Who Cares? Time and channel of the game? Now we’re talking. For three hours and maybe a bit more on any given Sunday during football season, we only care about one thing. Our team. We’ll worry about politics and religion when there’s no game on… Maybe. We at the very least settled one argument with regards to religion after this past Super Bowl… God wears the black and gold, and therefore we Steelers fans at least are made in his image.

Now I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m starting to hear the faint whisper of Draft day approaching. Hopefully we draft a Steeler, and not a Cowboys or Bengals player for later. But either way, from that point on I’ll be obsessed with my team. I’m a fan after all. All of us here are. And we like winning. And we often dreamed of winning a sixth Super Bowl, which we finally did. We were just fairly quiet in our dreams about it. We’re certainly confident, but we’re also a bit superstitious. So do we dare dream of a seventh Lombardi? Maybe a little.

-Steelers70 (Brian L. Baldwin)

Sir Blitzelot
02-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow awesome article! It's so true that being a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers means being a fan year-round. Great read! :yellowthumb:

vtwin_gary
02-22-2009, 10:11 AM
great stuff. i think i'll email to a few friends.

SteelerBee43
02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
:clap: :clap: great job....

LSWANNFAN88
07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I feel pre-season coming and I cant' wait

--- Added 7/30/2009 at 04:14 PM ---

great article

Blazedby92
08-20-2009, 07:29 PM
It's finally here:cope:

steelers4life66
08-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Our team has so many Hall of Fame selections that the NFL should really consider relocating the building to Pittsburgh.:yellowthumb:

Thanks 70. I love reading your work.

Sec521
08-22-2009, 11:50 AM
:helmet: Great work 70's. As my daughters say: true that!:tt02:

mateus
08-23-2009, 01:39 AM
well said!
although this read more as a rant and opinionated then something that one could feel as a steelers fan. but still a really good read!