PDA

View Full Version : Starks gets Franchised!!!

Iron City South
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Steelers franchise Starks
Thursday, February 19, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z212/RayBanJockey/71788045.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Steelers have placed the franchise tag on offensive tackle Max Starks, a move that will keep him from entering free agency and guarantee him $8.451 million in salary -- the average of the NFL's top five offensive linemen -- in the 2009 season.

The Steelers will try to work out a long-term deal with Starks, a No. 3 draft choice in 2004 who started 11 games last season at left tackle.

It is the second year in a row the Steelers have used a tag to keep Starks from becoming an unrestricted free agent. He was named a transition player last season, even though he wasn't a starter, and was paid $6.9 million.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
First published on February 19, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Dean Denton
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
We couldn't tag anyone better then that????

Stairwayto7
02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
I understand why! But its a shame that we have to waste that kind of money! He isnt worth it!

igor0190
02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Hopefully they can sign him to a 5 year deal and reduce his cap number. Starks and his agent are being smart... They know the Steelers need depth and have no choice but to sign him or franchise.

Zachintosh66
02-19-2009, 05:43 PM
I trust the FO... they usually make good moves...

Koopa
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
he most give awesome head to the guys in the front office to keep getting paid big bucks, he should just sign it and cash in, i would lol

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Damn I don't know if this is good news or bad...:thinking: Definately overpaid i think which is a shame cuz Starks is a Gargantuine that could be beast if he got his mind right.

Stairwayto7
02-19-2009, 06:02 PM
he most give awesome head to the guys in the front office to keep getting paid big bucks, he should just sign it and cash in, i would lol

LOL LOL

Iron City South
02-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Given the state of our line, I'm fine with this. Starks had a good year this past year and has shown that he can play both LT and RT when called upon. There were games going down the stretch this past year where Starks played lights-out football and stood up as a leader of this group of garbage men.

For whatever reason he was in Tomlin's doghouse last year and early this past year. It now seems like they worked it out and that period is behind them.

ejsteeler
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm torn on this one. I just hope this does not cost us BMac.

Troyisabeast_43
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
We couldn't tag anyone better then that????

It's very strange and odd to begin with because the Steelers rarely slap the franchise tag on any player period. The last guy and the only guy I can remember them doing it too was Jason Gildon. Doing it with Max Starks comes as an absolute shock to me. They must really feel he is a valuable piece to that offensive line proving he can play both right and especially left tackle when Marvel Smith went down. This by far eliminates any chance of the Steelers re-signing Marvel Smith for next season unless by some chance no team out there offers him any kind of deal where he could be brought back at a cheap price as a possible backup which is definitely possible I think given all the injury problems Smith has had over the course of the last few seasons.

steelcityrockers
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I am ok with this. Would prefer a long term deal. It is needed considering he is our best lineman...

Troyisabeast_43
02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
So with Starks being franchised now and Kemo,Colon,and Marvel Smith still in question and most likely at least 2 of them will be coming back next season, where do the Steelers go from here as far as fixing the offensive line goes for next season in beyond?? Do they still draft an o-line man in the first round and beyond or do they look elsewhere maybe D-line,Corner,or possibly even wide receiver?? Thoughts on what should happen next??

DIESELMAN
02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm torn on this one. I just hope this does not cost us BMac.
Franchising BMac, if thats what you were talkin about, would have cost almost 10 mil...From what I've read elsewhere, this is a non-exclusive tag, which means Starks can be signed by another team but it would cost them 2 #1 picks (lol, that ain't going to happen), we have some coin wrapped up in Starks the past couple of years, hopefully we can make this a long term deal and get something back in return.

Dean Denton
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
It's very strange and odd to begin with because the Steelers rarely slap the franchise tag on any player period. The last guy and the only guy I can remember them doing it too was Jason Gildon. Doing it with Max Starks comes as an absolute shock to me. They must really feel he is a valuable piece to that offensive line proving he can play both right and especially left tackle when Marvel Smith went down. This by far eliminates any chance of the Steelers re-signing Marvel Smith for next season unless by some chance no team out there offers him any kind of deal where he could be brought back at a cheap price as a possible backup which is definitely possible I think given all the injury problems Smith has had over the course of the last few seasons.Gildon is the last that I can think of too. Not sure where we go from here in the draft. I think maybe we still get an OL man. Wasn't Starkx the one that cost Ben his shoulder for the season? We need a better LT then him.

DIESELMAN
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
So with Starks being franchised now and Kemo,Colon,and Marvel Smith still in question and most likely at least 2 of them will be coming back next season, where do the Steelers go from here as far as fixing the offensive line goes for next season in beyond?? Do they still draft an o-line man in the first round and beyond or do they look elsewhere maybe D-line,Corner,or possibly even wide receiver?? Thoughts on what should happen next??
This is insurance for Ben, I believe......no way another team gives up 2 #1 picks for Starks, we draft a OT on day 1 and that gives him a year to learn the system....:2cents:

Dean Denton
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
This is insurance for Ben, I believe......no way another team gives up 2 #1 picks for Starks, we draft a OT on day 1 and that gives him a year to learn the system....:2cents:good call...

Sir Blitzelot
02-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm ok with this move, it adds some much needed depth to our O-line.

NorCalSteel
02-19-2009, 07:18 PM
where is the love..Starting OT in last 2 superbowl victories and he isn't worth it. Marvel is a huge question mark they have to do something. btw I hope they do resign Bmac. He was playing lights out before he got hurt.

steelerfan11
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
If the Steelers would use a tag on Bmac it would cost:

Franchise: 9.96 million
Transition: 8.37 million

BlackGold4vr
02-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Great move! They had to do this in my opinion and Starks was one of the strengths of that O-line, certainly not the weakness.

- Willie Colon is a RFA not a UFA. HUGE difference. For Willie to go anywhere would mean someone would not only overpay for him but they would also owe us draft picks. That means that he WILL be a Steeler next year.

That leaves Kemoeatu, Essex, and Marvel Smith as the three question marks. If they resign Kemo I believe that spells certain doom for Smith and Essex. We are going to draft at least 2 O-lineman and these moves do not alleviate the need to still do that. The O-line was still the weakest link on this team and our run game, short yardage game and protection problems demand priority in this years draft IMO. :2cents:

K Train
02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
this is stupid....he cant be that hard to sign. hes not star quality and everyone including him knows that

ejsteeler
02-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Franchising BMac, if thats what you were talkin about, would have cost almost 10 mil...From what I've read elsewhere, this is a non-exclusive tag, which means Starks can be signed by another team but it would cost them 2 #1 picks (lol, that ain't going to happen), we have some coin wrapped up in Starks the past couple of years, hopefully we can make this a long term deal and get something back in return.

Great move! They had to do this in my opinion and Starks was one of the strengths of that O-line, certainly not the weakness.

- Willie Colon is a RFA not a UFA. HUGE difference. For Willie to go anywhere would mean someone would not only overpay for him but they would also owe us draft picks. That means that he WILL be a Steeler next year.

That leaves Kemoeatu, Essex, and Marvel Smith as the three question marks. If they resign Kemo I believe that spells certain doom for Smith and Essex. We are going to draft at least 2 O-lineman and these moves do not alleviate the need to still do that. The O-line was still the weakest link on this team and our run game, short yardage game and protection problems demand priority in this years draft IMO. :2cents:

Thanks for the explanation guys. I am extremely weak in this aspect of football. This is really only the second season I have closely followed off season moves. Being so blind to college ball, I just would let the offseason happen and pick things up in preseason.

BlackGold4vr
02-19-2009, 08:38 PM
this is stupid....he cant be that hard to sign. hes not star quality and everyone including him knows that

Which guy are you talking about? Starks? Perhaps the FO would like to see Max take that starting LT job for another year before they are willing to commit to a longer termed contract. If he plays well they sign him to a longer deal next year. If he sucks they can let him walk next year. We can't lose by doing this. The team couldn't afford to go into next year with Willie Colon and Tony Hills as our only tackles + maybe a second tier tackle taken in the draft. What this move tells me is that there will not be any moving up for one of those top 4 guys. And with their starting LT already designated, interior lineman and D-line move to the forefront. :yesnod:

Scorp
02-19-2009, 08:53 PM
YOU GUYS MIGHT BE RIGHT, BUT ISN'T ANY STEELERS PLAYER WORTH IT?

BlackGold4vr
02-19-2009, 09:08 PM
YOU GUYS MIGHT BE RIGHT, BUT ISN'T ANY STEELERS PLAYER WORTH IT?

No! On any given team there are always players and positions that you can upgrade. Just missing out on one years draft can wreck a franchise down the road. You have got to upgrade at least 4 players per year in the draft to keep up with the other teams. If you haven't noticed it sometimes takes players a year or two to start contributing. So it takes sound management to anticipate the needs a year or two out. If we didn't let some of them go we wouldn't have room on the roster to sign our rookies. :yesnod:

Scorp
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Beside the BS who would you like to see the STEELERS play in the season opener?

--- Added 2/19/2009 at 07:16 PM ---

That's why I love the fact that everyone has there own opinion.

Zachintosh66
02-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Beside the BS who would you like to see the STEELERS play in the season opener?

nothing like completely changing the topic...

Iron City South
02-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Starks is now considered a seasoned veteran, plays multiple positions, and has been part of a 2 time Super Bowl team .... Make no mistake about it, other teams would pony up nice cash for someone like Starks in effort to bolster their line and get immediate veteran leadership. Seasoned OT'sare in demand right now which is why the Steelers were smart to franchise him.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Ok.......Everybody (including me) was critical when Starks was tagged last year.....That move turned out to be a very good one......Plus the Steelers can't enter next year with Tony Hills, Willie Colon as the only OTs with any kind of experience.......I think the Steelers will try and work a long term deal with Starks....But that is up to Max and he might just take the big bucks for one year again instead of wanting some long term security.......

I don't mind the move since it looked foolish last year to tag Max but in the end the move really saved our season when Smith went down again.....Some team would have signed Max Starks and I have no doubt in my mind.....He has played on two Super Bowl winning team which really over values him but that is the nature of the beast.....

Troyisabeast_43
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Starks is now considered a seasoned veteran, plays multiple positions, and has been part of a 2 time Super Bowl team .... Make no mistake about it, other teams would pony up nice cash for someone like Starks in effort to bolster their line and get immediate veteran leadership. Seasoned OT'sare in demand right now which is why the Steelers were smart to franchise him.

I like the move, and much like I always do I will put my faith and trust in the Steelers braintrust and front office that they will make the right moves, and make smart decisions that will give this team the best chance to compete for back to back Lombardi Trophy's starting in September. I think the way this team currently stands now with a lot of these guys coming back and virtually the same awesome defense coming back next season, combined with the cushy schedule the Steelers have, next season will be the last great opportunity I believe they will have to make a serious strong run at another Super Bowl Championship with this football team and the current group of players they have right now on the roster.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Given the state of our line, I'm fine with this. Starks had a good year this past year and has shown that he can play both LT and RT when called upon. There were games going down the stretch this past year where Starks played lights-out football and stood up as a leader of this group of garbage men.

For whatever reason he was in Tomlin's doghouse last year and early this past year. It now seems like they worked it out and that period is behind them.

Yeah I agree, it's really the only way we can keep him for a semi reasonable amount. After all we dumped 7 million into him this year so you can't just let him walk away without compensation. If somebody wants him that bad, which they won't, we'll get a good compensation. If not we can get him to sign a long term deal and have some decent depth. Maybe he's finally turned the corner, who knows. We don't use the franchise tag often but due to the money he got last year we almost had to give it to him.

Besides they are working on a deal with Harrison now which is one of the bigger guys we need to get extended.

yinzer
02-20-2009, 10:21 AM
max starks = best lineman we have... right now anyway.

K Train
02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
max starks = best lineman we have... right now anyway.

this statement=false

i think hartwig was the best player on the line. keep in mind that starks has failed to outright win his job since tomin became coach, while he has improved since the days where he was just a mammoth bitch, he didnt win that job last year. he was a big price tag and was set to ride the bench all year. made them look good when he played well after smith went down. i just cant understand why they couldnt sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal. hes making top tier money for the second year in a row for no reason....were paying him more than we would have had to pay faneca

K Train
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
they should do a draft day trade package up starks and the 32nd pick to move up.....its rolling the dice but whatever lol

TEEMONT
02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
this statement=false

i think hartwig was the best player on the line. keep in mind that starks has failed to outright win his job since tomin became coach, while he has improved since the days where he was just a mammoth bitch, he didnt win that job last year. he was a big price tag and was set to ride the bench all year. made them look good when he played well after smith went down. i just cant understand why they couldnt sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal. hes making top tier money for the second year in a row for no reason....were paying him more than we would have had to pay faneca

I can't wrap my brain around him having to be paid top 5 money two years in a row either. Faneca would have taken the money we paid Starks the last two years, and he was THE leader on that line, and has also played multiple positions for us.

I also agree that Starks isn't the best lineman on the team, the dude couldn't even beat out a guard for his natural position (RT). Starks isn't even the 3rd best lineman on this team. Colon is playing out of position and is much better than Starks, with his teddy bear attitude. I want to see colon at RG, b/c I personally think he would be an ******* to DT's and NT's everywhere.

TampaSteelGirl
02-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I know this is a stupid question but can someone explain what a franchise tag is? Sorry..

TEEMONT
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
I know this is a stupid question but can someone explain what a franchise tag is? Sorry..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

TampaSteelGirl
02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

Thanks Tee... never thought about good ole Wikipedia! I understand now!

K Train
02-20-2009, 03:31 PM
I can't wrap my brain around him having to be paid top 5 money two years in a row either. Faneca would have taken the money we paid Starks the last two years, and he was THE leader on that line, and has also played multiple positions for us.

I also agree that Starks isn't the best lineman on the team, the dude couldn't even beat out a guard for his natural position (RT). Starks isn't even the 3rd best lineman on this team. Colon is playing out of position and is much better than Starks, with his teddy bear attitude. I want to see colon at RG, b/c I personally think he would be an ******* to DT's and NT's everywhere.

colon is a very good player, thats why tomlin wants him on the field....its not the right spot for him but he makes them all a little better imo

Dean Denton
02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
wouldn't it be nice to get 2 first round picks for this bastard?....lol Whatever, its nice to dream.

TheButt
02-20-2009, 07:33 PM

Smartest post on this topic.

Some people are showing a lack of football knowledge bashing Starks. To put it nicely.

Thomas_43
02-20-2009, 07:40 PM

That is the reason why he is franchised. They want him to be the trade bait. Hopefully their plan works out. Then we could trade one of the first round picks we get from him and the one we have this year, for a higher pick and a shot at one of those top tier tackles in the draft.

K Train
02-20-2009, 07:50 PM

Some people are showing a lack of football knowledge bashing Starks. To put it nicely.

its not bashing starks, ive bashed starks for years. starks is hardly a "franchise" player, not a guy you want to build a franchise around at all, hes getting top dollar for mediocre play. lets be serious now....is it that hard to get him to agree to a long term deal? i understand that maybe they want to make him do it for a year but honestly thats dumb too. if by any chance he lights it up and gets a 3rd superbowl ring his pricetag gets outrageous, but the truth is hes near the bottom when it comes to starting left tackles and what you see from him is what you get....hes not getting any better at this point, just sign him long term or let him walk

TEEMONT
02-20-2009, 08:13 PM

Since when is a 2nd stringer a leader? Hew gets tagged last year (transition tagged or franchise tagged I can't remember) and thusly goes out and plays his way out of the starting line-up. It took a few injuries for him to get into the line-up this year.

In the last two years, this guy has started 14 games, that is hardly franchise material. I just can't fathom 8 million+ for him. they need to get something worked out long-term wise. Otherwise there was no excuse for not re-signing Faneca, who was wanting what Starks is getting paid now, and he was actually a proven Vet, and a leader.

Iron City South
02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Since when is a 2nd stringer a leader? Hew gets tagged last year (transition tagged or franchise tagged I can't remember) and thusly goes out and plays his way out of the starting line-up. It took a few injuries for him to get into the line-up this year.

Who says Starks was a 2nd stringer as a result of his performance?

There's nothing .... NOTHING that leads me to believe that he should have EVER lost his starting job to begin with. Nobody showed me they were any better (or worse) than Starks. My guess is that he and Tomlin didn't hit it off real well when they first met and Tomlin wanted to make an example of somebody to set the tone of his new command. Given the injuries, Starks was plugged back into the lineup and has played well ... very well. So well that Tomlin decided to let him out of his doghouse and show some newfound love for him. :yesnod:

K Train
02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
"played very well" might be a reach

he was very average, which is better than **** but very well....i dont think so

Iron City South
02-20-2009, 10:50 PM
"played very well" might be a reach

he was very average, which is better than **** but very well....i dont think so

In the last 5 games of this year ...... when we needed him, Starks played "very well" ...

If you don't believe so take some of this off-season time and rewatch the games ..... I did.

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2009, 11:07 PM
In the last 5 games of this year ...... when we needed him, Starks played "very well" ...

If you don't believe so take some of this off-season time and rewatch the games ..... I did.

:plus1: When it comes to football we agree more often than not! I recorded every game this year on my DVR. Since the season ended I have watched the playoff games and superbowl 3 or 4 times each to evaluate player performances. Max did play well and if I had to pick the emotional leader of the group I would say that it was Max. He is left handed and seems more comfortable on the left side. Is he worthy of top 5 salary? I'm not so sure about that, but he does add some stability to what was our weakest unit last year. I am comfortable saying he was the best of what we had last year. We still need to pick up a tackle to compete with Hills for the RT spot and move Colon inside. :2cents:

Stlrs4Life
02-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Must admit, Starks played well at the et the end of the season.

TEEMONT
02-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Who says Starks was a 2nd stringer as a result of his performance?

There's nothing .... NOTHING that leads me to believe that he should have EVER lost his starting job to begin with. Nobody showed me they were any better (or worse) than Starks. My guess is that he and Tomlin didn't hit it off real well when they first met and Tomlin wanted to make an example of somebody to set the tone of his new command. Given the injuries, Starks was plugged back into the lineup and has played well ... very well. So well that Tomlin decided to let him out of his doghouse and show some newfound love for him. :yesnod:

Well fortunatly no one has to prove that they are any better than Starks to you, just Tomlin. He got a fat contract for this year after starting 4 games the year prior, he showed everyone a lot that in '07.

It didnt take Tomlin's "newfound love" to get Starks in the line-up, it took Smith being done for the season. I would have though he would have been in the line-up after Simmons went down, by shifting Colon to RG and putting Starks at RT. But Tomlin and co had so little faith in him that they decided Darnell Stapleton was a better fit on the O-line. It took Smith going down to get Starks in the line-up. Without that he would still be where he deserves, sitting the bench.

It kills me b/c the guy has all the talent in the world, he just doesn't seem to give a **** at all. He isn't quick enough to be a top tier LT, and he isn't mean enough to be a road-grading RT.

I still prefer him at RT though, if we are gonna keep this guy then Colon needs to be playing RG and Starks needs to be at RT, and we need to move up in the draft somehow and get a starter at LT. You can't keep protecting Ben's blindside with Starks.

--- Added 2/20/2009 at 09:43 PM ---

I've rewatched all of the playoff games that my wife DVR'd while I was deployed, and I see an average Starks. Average might stand out on this line, but even at the end of the season he wasn't our best O-lineman.

My whole argument here isn't that Max sucks, it's that he in no way deserves to be making top 5 money. If we were going to pay a lineman top 5 money for two years, then we should have taken a run at re-signing Faneca. You want a leader on the line? He was it. you want versatility? He had it, and they let him walk.

Iron City South
02-20-2009, 11:48 PM
But Tomlin and co had so little faith in him that they decided Darnell Stapleton was a better fit on the O-line. It took Smith going down to get Starks in the line-up.

This is EXACTLY my point. You don't take a journeyman UFA that never started a game in his life and put him over someone of Starks' experience and pedigree. It's so outlandish that it doesn't even make sense. This is why you know damn well something else was going on behind the scenes.

You're pissed at Starks for making money? .... huh? IF you're going to be pissed at somebody, be pissed at the front office .... Apparently somebody thought he was worth the investment.

Callax
02-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Last Year, I thought the Steelers were INSANE for franchising Starks, what!!!!
franchise this clown, who just let speed guys go by his right side, while he stands there flatfooted, and you want to make him your LEFT TACKLE!!?????
Ok, they must have known something since M Smith had a gimpy back and surgery to correct it. He was an expensive insurance policy that was worth the premiums Pitt Paid...
During that time Starks played well enough to not draw any attention to himself...meaning he played very well ... that Now M Smith has a "gimpy back" again and his contract is up... Pitt knows they have ( at worst) a capable LT, but so they don't screw themselves (like they did with Simmons) they Franchise Starks again maybe they let him stay franchised for this year, see how he plays and then sign him long term if he plays well...

Next Colon to RG: Hills, Essex, F/A pickup or draft pick to RT

TEEMONT
02-20-2009, 11:53 PM
This is EXACTLY my point. You don't take a journeyman UFA that never started a game in his life and put him over someone of Starks' experience and pedigree. It's so outlandish that it doesn't even make sense. This is why you know damn well something else was going on behind the scenes.

There's that "P" word again. Pedigree. When you are a freshman or sophomore in college it means something. Once you are a 5th or 6th year pro, pedigree needs to turn into perfromance.

I don't think Tomlin is seriously so stubborn as to put his franchise QB in danger just b/c there may have been "something behind the scenes", do you? Starks has size, but thats about it, he isn't overly quick on his feet, and he fires off high while run blocking. If Smith would have been healthy enough to play, Starks would have been back on the bench, while a guy from Hofstra with no pedigree played his position.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Alan Faneca has nothing to do with this topic......Anyways yea lets overpay an aging OG for multi years....lol

Max Starks doesn't deserve 10 million for one season and I agree he is average at best....But really the Steelers had no choice since they havn't seriously tried to upgrade the OT position......They were stuck basically giving Starks the franchise tag....Unless you want Tony Hills and Willie Colon as your starting OT's next year...lol I would like to see the Steelers trade up for one of the top OTs and really have been screaming for them to do so for years....But they won't and you know this......

I guess the Steelers could have just resigned Marvel Smith but I don't think Smith can be counted on at this point....The last two years have shown that maybe Marvel is breaking down......The Steelers could have also signed an FA OT like Khalif Barnes....But is really that much better then Max Starks?....Plus we would have over paid to sign Barnes as well.....

Max Starks is an average at best LT or RT but the reality is he is still needed on this team.....It just sucks that its going to cost 10 million to keep him for one season....I don't think Starks will sign long term either....He would be stupid to do so......

The Steelers should still address the OT position in the draft but I highly doubt they will trade up to draft one of the top four....I hope Michael Oher falls on draft day and maybe if he falls to the 20-25 range the Steelers might have a shot to trade up for him.....

TEEMONT
02-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Last Year, I thought the Steelers were INSANE for franchising Starks, what!!!!
franchise this clown, who just let speed guys go by his right side, while he stands there flatfooted, and you want to make him your LEFT TACKLE!!?????
Ok, they must have known something since M Smith had a gimpy back and surgery to correct it. He was an expensive insurance policy that was worth the premiums Pitt Paid...
During that time Starks played well enough to not draw any attention to himself...meaning he played very well ... that Now M Smith has a "gimpy back" again and his contract is up... Pitt knows they have ( at worst) a capable LT, but so they don't screw themselves (like they did with Simmons) they Franchise Starks again maybe they let him stay franchised for this year, see how he plays and then sign him long term if he plays well...

Next Colon to RG: Hills, Essex, F/A pickup or draft pick to RT

Agree with everything you say except for Starks playing very well. In order to not draw attention to yourself on this line (which Ben does hurt with his scrambling from time to time) all you have to do is play average, which for what he was getting paid, isn't good enough.

I do want to see Colon at Rg next year, and maybe see Hills get a shot at LT. Starks is more valuable to the Steelers as a RT IMO.

Iron City South
02-21-2009, 12:00 AM
There's that "P" word again. Pedigree. When you are a freshman or sophomore in college it means something. Once you are a 5th or 6th year pro, pedigree needs to turn into perfromance.

I don't think Tomlin is seriously so stubborn as to put his franchise QB in danger just b/c there may have been "something behind the scenes", do you? Starks has size, but thats about it, he isn't overly quick on his feet, and he fires off high while run blocking. If Smith would have been healthy enough to play, Starks would have been back on the bench, while a guy from Hofstra with no pedigree played his position.

Actually, it's because Starks is flatfooted that his pass blocking is oafish at times. Starks CAN run-block .... Starks can actually run-block well. You get a guy that size pulling out and playing "road graeter" then you're going to have 100 yd RB's each game. Starks can play on both sides which is a plus and again, Starks got better as the year went on. He's not a pro-bowler, but he's a guy that knows the system and does his job. Like I said, I'm fine with this move. I'd like to see them lock him up for 4-5 years and lose some of that up-front cap hit this year.

TEEMONT
02-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Alan Faneca has nothing to do with this topic......Anyways yea lets overpay an aging OG for multi years....lol

Max Starks doesn't deserve 10 million for one season and I agree he is average at best....But really the Steelers had no choice since they havn't seriously tried to upgrade the OT position......They were stuck basically giving Starks the franchise tag....Unless you want Tony Hills and Willie Colon as your starting OT's next year...lol I would like to see the Steelers trade up for one of the top OTs and really have been screaming for them to do so for years....But they won't and you know this......

I guess the Steelers could have just resigned Marvel Smith but I don't think Smith can be counted on at this point....The last two years have shown that maybe Marvel is breaking down......The Steelers could have also signed an FA OT like Khalif Barnes....But is really that much better then Max Starks?....Plus we would have over paid to sign Barnes as well.....

Max Starks is an average at best LT or RT but the reality is he is still needed on this team.....It just sucks that its going to cost 10 million to keep him for one season....I don't think Starks will sign long term either....He would be stupid to do so......

The Steelers should still address the OT position in the draft but I highly doubt they will trade up to draft one of the top four....I hope Michael Oher falls on draft day and maybe if he falls to the 20-25 range the Steelers might have a shot to trade up for him.....

My whole point with Faneca is we at least knew he woudl be worth the cash he wanted. When push came to shove they would have just cut him.

Anyways, I think you hit the nail on the head with the rest of your post. It's not that I hate Max, i just have a hard time with him being franchised. He isn't a LT, no matter how much they try to make him one.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hills get a shot at LT, I don't think he would win it, but Starks can't go into camp as the only serious option.

The more I think about the line, the more I wish Mendenhall wouldnt have gotten hurt. If he had played the whole season and lived up to his hype, then maybe they would consider breaking my heart, and packaging Willie with a draft pick and trading up to get a franchise LT. It just kills me with all of these solid LT's in this draft, and we are going to end up with Alex Mack or BJ Rajii.

Obviously we/I can't bitch too much about the Starks decision in early 08, since they did win a Super Bowl. But I can bitch about 09, right?

--- Added 2/20/2009 at 10:07 PM ---

Actually, it's because Starks is flatfooted that his pass blocking is oafish at times. Starks CAN run-block .... Starks can actually run-block well. You get a guy that size pulling out and playing "road graeter" then you're going to have 100 yd RB's each game. Starks can play on both sides which is a plus and again, Starks got better as the year went on. He's not a pro-bowler, but he's a guy that knows the system and does his job. Like I said, I'm fine with this move. I'd like to see them lock him up for 4-5 years and lose some of that up-front cap hit this year.

The cash he is making is my main problem. I just can't wrap my head around franchising a guy who has only started 14 or 15 of the last 32 reg season games.

Obviously he can run-block, if you ar ein the NFL you better to able to DO it. But he just isn't consistent enough for me. he fires off high an awful lot.

I just really want him to be A. signed long term with a smaller cap number, and B. move to RT, if he is going to play in Pittsburgh.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-21-2009, 12:13 AM
My whole point with Faneca is we at least knew he woudl be worth the cash he wanted. When push came to shove they would have just cut him.

Anyways, I think you hit the nail on the head with the rest of your post. It's not that I hate Max, i just have a hard time with him being franchised. He isn't a LT, no matter how much they try to make him one.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hills get a shot at LT, I don't think he would win it, but Starks can't go into camp as the only serious option.

The more I think about the line, the more I wish Mendenhall wouldnt have gotten hurt. If he had played the whole season and lived up to his hype, then maybe they would consider breaking my heart, and packaging Willie with a draft pick and trading up to get a franchise LT. It just kills me with all of these solid LT's in this draft, and we are going to end up with Alex Mack or BJ Rajii.

Obviously we/I can't bitch too much about the Starks decision in early 08, since they did win a Super Bowl. But I can bitch about 09, right?

Tee, I hate the fact that Max Starks is going to get 10 million for one season....But I just don't see how the Steelers couldn't franchise him....I think he would have signed elsewhere if he wasn't franchise....Some team would have signed him long term and gave him a phat contract.....He has played RT and LT for two Super Bowl winning teams and we know that would have over valued Starks this free agency period.....

At this point I don't want to see Tony Hills getting a shot at LT.......I havn't seen anything from him to show he will ever be a quality NFL OT yet......I would take Starks at LT over Tony Hills......Hills still has to prove he can make the roster again period.....

Every year it kills to see all the top OTs get drafted.........I even thought when Marvel was in his prime the Steelers still should have drafted a true LT.....Smith was solid at LT but he really should have remained as a RT......

I'm not a Max Starks fan at all......But I just don't see how the Steelers could enter next year with Tony Hills, Willie Colon as the only OT's with NFL experience on their roster.....Unless they resigned Marvel Smith....But I think that would have been a more questionable move then giving Max the franchise tag.....

SteelerFan87
02-21-2009, 12:15 AM
SON OF A BITCH!!!!

Why is our front office so stupid? You want to keep Starks? SIGN HIM TO A CONTRACT, at the money he's WORTH. Why the hell do they keep tagging this guy? I love Max Starks, but he is not worth this kind of money. And he's a Tackle, so the Franchise money for him will be more than it would have been for a Guard, so why didn't we just Franchise Faneca?
Seriously, does Colbert have any sort of plan whatsoever for the O-line? Or is he just going year by year, tagging Starks and who knows what happens to the rest of the O-line?

TEEMONT
02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
SON OF A BITCH!!!!

Why is our front office so stupid? You want to keep Starks? SIGN HIM TO A CONTRACT, at the money he's WORTH. Why the hell do they keep tagging this guy? I love Max Starks, but he is not worth this kind of money. And he's a Tackle, so the Franchise money for him will be more than it would have been for a Guard, so why didn't we just Franchise Faneca?
Seriously, does Colbert have any sort of plan whatsoever for the O-line? Or is he just going year by year, tagging Starks and who knows what happens to the rest of the O-line?

the OL has one franchise price. T,G, and C's are all lumped into one group, as far as I know.

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Steelers reach agreement with Starks
Saturday, February 21, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS The Steelers have reached agreement with left tackle Max Starks to accept their franchise tender of $8.451 million for the 2009 season, paving the way for the two sides to begin discussion on a long-term contract.

The Steelers have until mid-July to reach agreement on a contract with their 6-foot-8, 340-pound tackle or he will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

By accepting the franchise tender, Starks can no longer negotiate with other NFL teams about a possible contract. It was unlikely that was going to occur, however, because a team would have to compensate the Steelers with two No. 1 picks if they signed Starks.

http://www.post-gazette.com/

DIESELMAN
02-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Hopefully both sides can work out a better 3-5 year deal.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2009, 01:19 PM
No doubt, I don't care how much he's improved there's no way he is worth 7 million let alone 8.4 million for 1 year. Once again now Starks is making out like a bandit, the Steelers absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt must get a deal done with him and ease that cap number!

Captcoolhand
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
No doubt, I don't care how much he's improved there's no way he is worth 7 million let alone 8.4 million for 1 year. Once again now Starks is making out like a bandit, the Steelers absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt must get a deal done with him and ease that cap number!
:ditto: I agree......

For the life of me, ever time I read an article that even mentions Starks signing a 1 year deal for 8.5 million. :eek: I just get this nasty feeling in my stomach.

That's like 15+ Million over the past 2 years for (IMO) an Average player.:duh:Hell for another million or 2, we could have probably just kept Feneca and had him last season, this season and next season too! :dunno:

K Train
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
faneca was terrible last year...letting him go was a good idea, the not so good idea is keeping starks period let alone paying him a **** load of money