PDA

View Full Version : Essex offered a contract?

Stlrs4Life
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Fort Wayne Native Essex May Get New NFL Home
By Dean Pantazi

Story Published: Feb 16, 2009 at 11:51 PM EST

(Fort Wayne) - Harding grad Trai Essex is thrilled with two Super Bowl titles as a four year veteran with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But that won't stop the offensive lineman from seeking a team where he can get more playing time.

Essex's agent has already received a contract offer from the Steelers for the free agent lineman, but Essex said Monday prior to speaking to school kids with the Fort Wayne Community School Study Connection program that if he has to go somewhere else to get to play more, he will,

For more on this story click on the video icon above.

Find this article at:
http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/sports/39696627.html

Black@Gold Forever32
02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey Trai if you want more playing then beat somebody out for a job...lol I just find it funny that since the Steelers reached for Essex with a third round pick back in the 2005 draft he still hasn't beaten somebody out along the OL......He was drafted as an OT but he has learned the OG positions while his time here with the Steelers.......If Essex wants to play elsewhere then so be it......He is a career backup that maybe can spot start at best.....

Callax
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I had such high hopes for him when Pitt drafted him and he played LT against Indy and he struggled, as I expected... He never played any better than that.. Guess a OL in the draft is forthcoming...

igor0190
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
What makes him think that he would be a starter on another team. Our O-line weren't exactly top notch this year and he couldn't nail down a starting spot. Guys like this have to make you wonder sometimes. Pittsburgh is probably one of the most opportune teams in the league for a lineman. Geez

Stlrs4Life
02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, he had a real bad day last season in the playoffs vs the Jags, he ws responsible for that missed block on that 3rd down play.

K Train
02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
with no game reps its near impossible for a tackle to come off the bench and line up against freeney or most NFl defensive ends. i really dont think he was ever given a fair chance since day one. i have no doubt that he could have beaten simmons out of a job if given the opportunity....i blame cowher for ruining him, hes not a LT in this league but he could be a beast of a guard

igor0190
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I was thinking that since the Steelers are a deep team they usually end up cutting a lot of the lower round draft picks. Any possibility they perhaps trade say 3, 4, 5 round picks to move up in first and/or second rounds in an effort to get two quality starters. Hopefully a tackle and center. What do ya think?

K Train
02-17-2009, 10:34 PM
even though our center was the best player on the line you still want to move up and draft one? theres bigger needs

igor0190
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Well my point is more to move up and get 2 guys that can start right away or very soon... I just don't think our roster can be cracked by 4-7 rounders very easily if at all. How about 1 Guard and 1 Tackle? Or the 2 best available between a DE, OT, OG while moving up in the second round!

ejsteeler
02-18-2009, 09:24 AM
It's amazing what a SB win can do to the pyche, even if you were not a starter. If he wants to leave, C-YA!! :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2009, 11:25 AM
You can't blame Essex for wanting to go somewhere else, I would too if I were him. Being a Tackle though he's had his chances in training camp and preseason to win starting jobs but with Marvel as a staple at LT he wasn't going to get anywhere fast in that position. He has played RT before and I would imagine he was in the mix for that position in camp too but wasn't able to get the job done.

He's not going to get big money anywhere that's for sure but if he can get a chance to compete for a starting job he'll be gone for sure.

Simmons is just terrible, why in the hell they re-signed him to a multi year deal 2 years ago is beyond me!

BlackGold4vr
02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
We have 4 guys signed through next year.

Tony Hills
Kendall Simmons
Justin Hartwig
Darnell Stapleton

Not a stellar group by a longshot.

Willie Colon is a RFA which is why I believe we will be stuck with him. Nobody is going to pay him the higher salary plus give us a draft pick for the rights to aquire him.

That makes 5 for next year.

The following 4 are free agents:

Marvel Smith - As good as gone IMO
Chris Kemoeatu - Expendible
Max Starks - A must to resign. They cannot afford to let him go with so many question marks going into next year.
Trai Essex - Let him go. He is a perrenial back-up player who has not been able to earn a starting spot after 3 years?

If they are planning to draft 3 or 4 O-lineman they will need to clear out the dead weight in order to make roster spots available. We carried 9 O-lineman throughout the season last year. I think they should sign Max and let the rest go. Go out and get 3 new lineman. Maybe 1 through free agency and 2 in the draft. :2cents:

ejsteeler
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
It's an interesting situation and one I am looking forward to see how they handle. Many different ways this can go and it can go bad quick.