PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben proves he's worth the drama

ejsteeler
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Big Ben proves he's worth the drama
Buzz up!By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 16, 2009

It doesn't matter that some of the talking heads on ESPN labeled Ben Roethlisberger a so-called drama queen because he has a reputation for dramatizing his injuries.

What's important is that Roethlisberger is a so-called drama queen who has won two Super Bowl championships in his first five NFL seasons.

A little drama never hurt anybody.

The Steelers pay Big Ben big bucks because he makes plays other quarterbacks can only dream of pulling off.

His oh-no-he-didn't sideways scramble followed by a 14-yard zinger to Santonio Holmes late in Super Bowl XLIII was the play that set the game-winning drive in motion.

Roethlisberger will never throw a more perfect pass than his 6-yard, tight-spiral masterpiece to Holmes in the back corner of the end zone to beat the Arizona Cardinals.

It took one of the greatest throws in Super Bowl history to result in arguably the greatest catch in Super Bowl lore.

Roethlisberger delivered the ball to the one spot where only Holmes could make the catch.

It's a throw that will stand the test of time, the way Lynn Swann's juggling, lunging, 53-yard grab against Dallas in Super Bowl X still produces goose bumps every time you watch the replay.

The trick is knowing when to make the throw of a lifetime.

Roethlisberger knows. He's blessed with an impeccable sense of timing.

The only thing more spectacular than Roethlisberger pulling off the touchdown drive for the ages is him doing it as a member of the walking wounded.

It makes for a better story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Ben has earned the right to be Ben.

Instead of over-analyzing why Roethlisberger told SI.com he played Super Bowl XLIII with multiple broken ribs but didn't bother telling his coach, why not sit back and enjoy the ride?

You haven't seen anything yet.

The only thing that's more high maintenance than a quarterback with one Super Bowl ring is a two-time Super Bowl champion.

Let the fun begin.

The fascinating disconnect between Roethlisberger and the Steelers over the severity of his injuries this season is well-documented.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert seemed to delight in denying any knowledge of Roethlisberger's broken ribs, as much as Ben seemed to enjoy talking about them.

What's that all about?

Aren't the star quarterback and his team supposed to be on the same page?

Apparently not. Ben's injury shouldn't have been a surprise to the Steelers, unless Colbert is an incredibly good actor.

Give Ben his due please.

He loves the attention befitting a player of his stature. And in this case being the winning quarterback in Super Bowl XLIII he deserves every accolade coming his way.

Ah hell, we already knew this.....:lol:
I can take all the drama, not that I think he IS a drama queen, he wants to dish as long as the rings keep coming.....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Drama or not the guy helped lead us to 2 super bowl wins...there's dozens of other QB's in the league who can't say that and ton in the past who have never done that. Maybe he does go alittle crazy with the injury talk now and then but you know on game day when it's time to play he's out there come hell or high water and you can't ask for more than that.

Silverback 92
02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Proven Winner is all I care about, call him what you will

HUNT4SEVEN
02-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Ben is an Baller:yellowthumb:, who is an drama queen at times:yesnod:,But i am glad he's on our team:tt02:

LarryNJ
02-16-2009, 03:17 PM
I think it's just a ploy to pick up hott chicks.

Way to go Ben!!! We'll have some more fun next year!!!

Dean Denton
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Drama??? He was faking the Concussion and the Broken ribs. At least the ribs. I would bet anything on that. I cant even take a grawler with a muscle pull on my ribs let alone try and play football...lol No one seems to bring up that Ben knows how to sell a game. Look at the story going into the playoffs. He made all of this up to build himself up. He knew they were going to win, and he wanted to make the rest of the QB in the league look like little sissy girls....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Think about this too, Ben and Tomlin know how to work an injury report. Anytime you can make yourself out to be worse than you really are it keeps the defense guessing. They can say all they want about "oh we're preparing for him to be 100% and play hard, blah blah blah" but in the back of their minds if they think a QB is injured they will let thoughts creep into their about what they think he can and can't do based on his condition..advantage Steelers every time.

SteelersWoman
02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Personally, I've never seen Ben do much different than any other QB when it comes to discussing injuries (or not), so I never did get the "drama" label that so many like to associate him with--and I've certainly seen him play when a lot of guys would be sitting on the bench...but to each his own opinion I guess.

Callax
02-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't care if he's pulling a "drama queen" or not... perfect throw and a stellar catch by holmes, let him be all that
2 superbowl VICTORIES by 26 years old!!!
let him have fun He earned it behind that sad excuse of a OL

TampaSteelGirl
02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Drama??? He was faking the Concussion and the Broken ribs. At least the ribs. I would bet anything on that. I cant even take a grawler with a muscle pull on my ribs let alone try and play football...lol No one seems to bring up that Ben knows how to sell a game. Look at the story going into the playoffs. He made all of this up to build himself up. He knew they were going to win, and he wanted to make the rest of the QB in the league look like little sissy girls....

I agree! the guy plays hurt all the time and hardly says anything! He gets his arse pounded to the ground and his head and they are calling him a drama queen?? The guy played with broken ribs...did anyone hear him complaining??? If anything he doesn't say enough about his injuries...he just freakin plays the game!!!!!

Dean Denton
02-17-2009, 12:31 PM
I agree! the guy plays hurt all the time and hardly says anything! He gets his arse pounded to the ground and his head and they are calling him a drama queen?? The guy played with broken ribs...did anyone hear him complaining??? If anything he doesn't say enough about his injuries...he just freakin plays the game!!!!!
Is he ever going to get himself a woman? Maybe then there would be less focus on him. He needs a new story. He needs to sleep with Brady's wife or have a big sex scandal. Whats wrong with him?

TampaSteelGirl
02-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Is he ever going to get himself a woman? Maybe then there would be less focus on him. He needs a new story. He needs to sleep with Brady's wife or have a big sex scandal. Whats wrong with him?

Oh yea good idea!! He and Bradys girl would be great!! Then they could have the battle of the BEST QB in the NFL (and we all know who would win!!!) and he could steal her away from Brady!! :grin1:

Dean Denton
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh yea good idea!! He and Bradys girl would be great!! Then they could have the battle of the BEST QB in the NFL (and we all know who would win!!!) and he could steal her away from Brady!! :grin1:Well he has already stolen the title of best Qb in the NFL from brady, so for Brady to lose his women would just be another slap in that funny looking face of his....

TampaSteelGirl
02-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Well he has already stolen the title of best Qb in the NFL from brady, so for Brady to lose his women would just be another slap in that funny looking face of his....

Very true, very true!! Although Ben needs to concentrate on playing....he can just get a booty call now and then...football first...chicks last!! :grin1:

Dean Denton
02-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Very true, very true!! Although Ben needs to concentrate on playing....he can just get a booty call now and then...football first...chicks last!! :grin1:I guess this would explain why I never made it as a football player....lol

TampaSteelGirl
02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I guess this would explain why I never made it as a football player....lol

Truth hurts pal....sorry! :greengrin:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-17-2009, 05:22 PM
We all know Ben is tough....I don't think that is the question....I think the point was that sometimes Ben might not be injured like he says....We all know the broken toes story....Now the ribs....Personally I don't know what is the truth or not....Ben says they were broken and the Steelers said they had no idea about his toes or the ribs now....Personally I don't care if Ben is telling the truth or not since I know Ben does give his all out there and he has had a huge hand in bringing us two more Lombardi's and give us a shot at more in the near future.....

Dean Denton
02-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Truth hurts pal....sorry! :greengrin:Dont be sorry, its ok. I am more then alright just taking a booty call, and avoiding getting hit by someone like Haynesworth....Thats all you Big Ben!!!!!!!