PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illus. take on the SB Officiating

Stairwayto7
02-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Officially, it was a bad performance
Some observations on penalties called, penalties not called and other points of controversy after watching two replays of the game:

John Madden's call for James Harrison to be thrown out of the game for "punching" Arizona safety Aaron Francisco after a punt was over the top. First of all, Harrison did not punch him; he pushed him down with an open hand. Also, Harrison reacted because Francisco had tried to cut him by throwing a block below his knees. He's lucky Harrison responded in such a restrained manner.

Likewise, Ike Taylor did not just start throwing punches along the Arizona sideline because someone said something to him. Running back Tim Hightower, perched on the sideline, grabbed Taylor's facemask as the play entered the Cardinals' sideline, prompting Taylor to react.

Tomlin would say that it still does not excuse either player for his reaction because it cost penalties on each occasion, although Harrison's was just 1 yard.

More than a few bad calls
The officiating in the Super Bowl was as horrid as many in a long line of bad games by them in 2008. But not all the calls went against the Arizona Cardinals:

The holding call on center Justin Hartwig in the end zone for a safety was a joke. Hartwig was engaged with his right hand on a Cardinals defender to his right when he was run over. Hartwig did not pull the defender down.

Perhaps Kurt Warner's fumble on his last play was legitimate, perhaps they did do a quick review up in the booth, but on such a play in the Super Bowl, could they not have taken two minutes to look at it more closely? They took longer than that to overturn a meaningless touchdown by Troy Polamalu on the last play of a regular-season game against San Diego (only to get it wrong).

Yes, Santonio Holmes should have gotten flagged for whatever it was he did after catching the winning touchdown. Yes, the Steelers should have had to kick off from their 15, and, yes, it might have helped the Cardinals get 15 yards closer. But Warner fumbled on the Steelers' 44, not the 15, and he needed a touchdown, not a field goal. It's a stretch to assume Arizona would have scored a touchdown merely because the Cardinals would have been 15 yards closer.

If you're going to count the non-call on Holmes' excessive celebration, you have to count the non-calls on the two blocks in the back by the Cardinals on the subsequent kickoff.

Referee Terry McAulay overturned a Warner fumble on the first series of the second half, ruling it was an incomplete pass on a challenge by Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt. OK, but someone other than Whisenhunt should have thrown a flag on the play as it happened because if that was a forward pass, Warner, still in the pocket, was trying to shot-put it to one of his offensive linemen, which is illegal.

Troyisabeast_43
02-15-2009, 10:34 AM
All excellent valid points from SI. But as we have said before on here not to beat a dead horse to death or anything but good teams find ways to overcome penalty calls and calls that go against them through the course of the game. If Ken Whisenhunt is going to sit there after the game like he did, and say it was unfortunate there were that many penalties in the game acting like that was the "only reason" the Cardinals lost the game then that is too bad for Whiz. I never had a problem with Ken Whisenhunt and I know he had a lot to do with the Steelers winning that 5th Super Bowl title in 05 that is up until he came out and said this after the game. I hope Whisenhunt doesnt sleep a wink until training camp starts and everytime he thinks of that Ben to Holmes TD play in his sleep he wakes up in a cold sweat. I hope each and everyday and everytime he thinks about that Super Bowl game he will know that the team that didnt think he was good enough to be the head coach ripped his heart out and proved that not hiring this old Chip off the old block Bill Cowher was above and beyond the right decision. Have fun Whiz never getting over this loss knowing you will never get that close again to seeing a Super Bowl Championship, and knowing that you didnot lose the game because of the refs, but because Ben Roethlisberger is the man and the Steelers are a much better football team then your overrated one hit wonder Arizona Cardinals who were lucky to be in the Super Bowl to begin with.

TEEMONT
02-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Glad you posted this, it's nice to see someone taking a look at it from a neutral point of view. Maybe someone should post this on a few Cardinal fan sites...lol.

JensK
02-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Glad you posted this, it's nice to see someone taking a look at it from a neutral point of view. Maybe someone should post this on a few Cardinal fan sites...lol.

Its not going to change anything. They'll bring in seahawk fans who'll tell you that the officiates were payed off, and so was the guys at SI.

steelersbabex25
02-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Whatever. The Steelers will always get accused for paying off the refs for every big game that they win. Doesn't really matter to me because you know that if the Cardinals or Seahawks had won those games they wouldn't be whining about anything. It's just an excuse.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Props to the guy from S.I for having the B@##$ to tell the truth, no matter what though we will allways be hated, By almost everyone:yesnod: They say the Steelers took roids in the 70's, why then did they only win 4 superbowls? if no one else in the 70's took roids why didn't the Steelers win 8-10 superbowls? Free agency back then wasn't like it is today, Now they say that the ref's cheated in XL an XLIII, but all last year we couldn't get an holding call on the offense of the opposing team after the Washington game untill i believe late december:evilshake: But hey it is what it is, an let me say this Roids been out since the 50's:yesnod: not only in america, but germany as well, an who knows where else, All i can say is get over it already, these commisheners knew these cats were taking drugs simple an plain:yesnod: I hope this is the last article we post in here about roids, an cheating please it's getting old real fast,:rant2:We are the 1st to SIX an that's all that matters:yesnod: The rest of u Haters GET THERE:tt02:

Koopa
02-15-2009, 03:46 PM
smh @ sports writers and analyst for not knowing what holmes was doing with the ball, he was obviously imitating lebron james' pre game thing that he does with the baby powder

Stairwayto7
02-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Whatever. The Steelers will always get accused for paying off the refs for every big game that they win. Doesn't really matter to me because you know that if the Cardinals or Seahawks had won those games they wouldn't be whining about anything. It's just an excuse.

I think you miss read it! This guy was sort of on our side:plus1:

ejsteeler
02-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I stil don't see anything on the non-call against Warner for walking around with his helmet off. At that point, it would have been big.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2009, 11:04 AM

Totally agree Tee..this is the same stuff the Steelers have gone through not only this year but in so many previous years not to even mention the last 2 Super Bowls we won. there are bad calls every game, every week, every season. The teams that win consistently are the ones that don't allow the outcome of the game to be decided by the officials. If you are in a position where the officials have to save your butt then you didn't do enough during the game to put it out of reach. Nobody has more room to gripe about bad officiating more than the Steelers do and we've talked about this tons of times on this site. The fact is the Steelers made more plays when they had too than the Cards did and we won..deal with it!

NorCalSteel
02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
The losing team will always cry foul. Champions overcome it. I still am not so sure of the catch they gave Fitzgerald on his first TD. But you know what the game still played on. I personaly hate it when the media and brodcasters are on the Steelers side. I new we were going to have a big year when a bunch of idiots predicted us at 8-8 lol.......

Dean Denton
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
The ref's cheated us, and this game should not have been this close or come down to the wire. They tried to take it away from us yet again (2005 Colts) and it was thrown back in their funny looking faces. Maybe it does pay to have a homosexual QB like the Colts and Patriots because they never get this much crap. Nor does the league try and cheat them like the Steelers, game after game.....They will all burn in hell with Hitler when this gets sorted out......

Mark B.
02-16-2009, 06:08 PM
That was quite a good read from SI. They have been slipping the last few years. Now if only those idiots from ESPN could remember how to be objective...