PDA

View Full Version : Foote wants to stay...

Stairwayto7
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
FOOTE WANTS TO STAY A STEELER
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 12, 2009, 9:35 a.m. EST
Pittsburgh Steelers inside linebacker Larry Foote said he has no intention of playing for his hometown Detroit Lions and wants to remain in a black and gold uniform, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Foote, a Detroit native, was drafted in the fourth round by Pittsburgh out of Michigan.

“It would be ludicrous for me to say I want to leave my last year. It would be stupid to even want to do that,” said Foote, who is entering the final year of a $13.4 million contract. “The bottom line is in 2002 the Lions had a chance to draft me. They chose not to. The Steelers did.

“I can relate to all the pain of not getting picked on the first day and see bums go ahead of me. The Steelers [drafted] me. I’m a Steeler. I’m a Super Bowl champion.”

Foote is miffed about comments from his friend, Brian Blackburn, that ran in the Detroit Free Press days after the Super Bowl where he said regarding Foote: ”He wants to come back here. This is the last year of his contract, and he wants to come back here and play for the Lions for about four years and call it quits after that.”

In response to Blackburn’s comment, Foote said: “That was one of my boys just talking stupid stuff in the paper. I think all players say that toward the tail end: ’I'll just end up going home and finish up there.’ But that was just talk.”

Of course, Foote is also facing competition for his job in Pittsburgh from Lawrence Timmons. Timmons played in more snaps in the Super Bowl than Foote, according to Foote.

Foote said he won’t accept a paycut from his 2009 scheduled $2.885 million base salary.

“Quiet as it’s kept,” Foote said, “everybody knows my role is reduced, no doubt about that. If they want to reduce my salary, I understand where they’re coming from. I still think I’m in my prime. I have some good years ahead of me, so I’m not going to accept that. I haven’t heard anything like that.”

Timmons has to be the starter somewhere, but I don`t have a problem keeping Foote! He is a solid linebacker.

ejsteeler
02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I would like to keep him as well. Solid depth. The more we can keep, the better our chances to make a run again next year.

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 01:32 PM
He just needs to keep up his high level of play and not ask for a gazillion dollars. Should be fine. Gonna be tough fending off Timmons though for that top spot.

ejsteeler
02-12-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't think he will, but we have packages that will have them both like this year and be dominant.

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't think he will, but we have packages that will have them both like this year and be dominant.
I hope so. I think Foote brings a lot to this team. always has. Smart football player.

Silverback 92
02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I like Foote also,sure would hate to see him in a cards uniform next year

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Timmons is the future and Foote knows him staying would mean a huge page cut if that even would help. I'd love for him to stay, he's a solid veteran and a good LB for us. It would really help our depth if we could have him stay onboard.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
From what Foote says it sounds like what his boy said:yesnod: If he doesn't take an pay cut then he's outta of here, IMO i think Davis an Fox (if we resign him) will feel in well, Because It's Timmons time, i trust the Rooneys will make the right call:yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
He has a year left, right? So I would think that he would be willing to play for that price!

K Train
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
hes a cap casualty though, hes making to much. if he wants to stay he needs to take a paycut.

vtwin_gary
02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
i think he'll stay & do a little more mentoring at least i hope so.

Stairwayto7
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
hes a cap casualty though, hes making to much. if he wants to stay he needs to take a paycut.

You Think? I would think that we could afford him one more season

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
i think he'll stay & do a little more mentoring at least i hope so.

Sounds good. Or he could just keep playing ata high level, and keep timmons on the bench. He looked good this year, and I dont think he falls far from grace this off season. Thing is, he will need to restructure to stay. All the old bastards have too. Its football.

popstaala
02-12-2009, 06:22 PM
i say we keep him.... we need this same defense for next year

MDSteel15
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Man... Timmons Timmons Timmons! How about Farrior is getting older and Lawrence most likely is goingto take over HIS spot! We could restructure Foote's contract and extend it over the next 2 years, and still have the best LB corp in the league!!! Our oldest LBs are James'!!! Farrior and Harrison..... Let's work on other positions and leave all the LBs where they are until after next year..... :popcorn:

K Train
02-12-2009, 06:54 PM
You Think? I would think that we could afford him one more season

if he gets released or traded the steelers save $3 million....i expect one of those to be done because i dont think he will take less

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 07:20 PM
if he gets released or traded the steelers save $3 million....i expect one of those to be done because i dont think he will take less
We could use that money on the OL too.

ejsteeler
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Well, if it has to be one of those two options, I hope we can work a trade and get something for him. Anythings better than releasing him for naught. And he WILL be missed.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Timmons is NOT going to take over Farrior's spot, just ain't gonna happen. He already is taking over Foote's spot. I'd love to see us keep him but if he's not willing to take less, then I don't see him staying. Don't get me wrong I'd love to keep him, but the STEELERS will cut ties with just about any player if it will make them stronger in the long run. The STEELERS always are strong at LB and have let al ot go when they still had some years left.unfortunately Foote's name will probably be added to the list.....

K Train
02-12-2009, 11:12 PM
timmons wouldnt be as effective in farriors role anyway. farrior has to take on guards every play more than timmons or foote, farrior is a master of shedding blocks and stuffing the run...timmons isnt bulit for that

steelcityrockers
02-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Unless Foote restructures his contract, I see no reason to keep him in a pure personnel move. Timmons as a way higher ceiling than Foote ever had.

greennick
02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
He'll cost less than a 40th of our cap. Is that too much? Probably. But it is lineball. If he takes 2.2 or so, I think that would be fair. Sure we could save more if we cut him, but then we don't have much depth. It's a tough call, I am glad I don't have to do it!

yinzer
02-13-2009, 10:21 AM
timmons wouldnt be as effective in farriors role anyway. farrior has to take on guards every play more than timmons or foote, farrior is a master of shedding blocks and stuffing the run...timmons isnt bulit for that

i agree. but i believe timmons is better in pass pro than foote. foote is better against the run but has slowed down in pass pro.

Troyisabeast_43
02-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Regardless of whether they keep Foote or not there is just no way they go into next season I believe without once and for all declaring Lawrence Timmons the starter officially at middle linebacker. If Larry Foote is going to say he is not going to take a paycut to stay and accept a backup role, then I would tell him see ya later...

Black@Gold Forever32
02-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't see Foote going anywhere this year...Even if Timmons starts......You still need depth if somebody goes down with injury......I don't see Foote being back next year after his contract expires.....

SteelersWoman
02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Never ceases to amaze me at all the guys who say they "want to stay a Steeler", but refuse to take less money to actually do it when someone comes along that's younger and can do the job just about as well. I think if they wanted it bad enough, they'd take a cut or restructure to make sure it happened.

TampaSteelGirl
02-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Should make him step it up seeing he maybe fighting for his job...could make him even more fierce this year!!! :yellowthumb: