PDA

View Full Version : If the Steelers are not able to sign Nate Washington...

Troyisabeast_43
02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2009WR.php

Then who might some of you want to bring in here as a free agent 3rd receiver looking at some of the receivers available in this link that I posted above. Aside from guys the Steelers can't afford like a TJ Houshz or Antonio Bryant who on that list is most intriguing and would be a good fit for the Steelers offense next season. The 3 names I am looking at that would be affordable and I believe good fits would be Amani Toomer who is a perfect slot man 3rd receiver, and while he is a bit up there in age at 34 he has been in the league for a very longtime and has won a Super Bowl and I believe he would fit in very well and come at a decent price should the Steelers take a look at him. The other two guys I wouldnt mind looking at that are deep threats more so then Toomer is much like Nate Washington is would be Hank Baskett from the Eagles and Brandon Lloyd from the Bears.

K Train
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
toomer, lloyd and baskett....they would effectively make us a worse team. we wont bring anyone in, if nate walks sweed gets a confidence boost along with a promotion, he gets thrown in there and tears **** up. we will draft a WR on the first day, but we are not looking for a veteren presence on the sideline we are looking for a guy to contribute

Dean Denton
02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Reggie Williams, Jaguars 6'4. Thats good height Ben will be pleased. Michael Clayton, Buccaneers. He has suffered playing for a team that has tried to be a run team, and not to mention a team that cant get him the ball. QB and HC issues do not make for a good passing team. He would shine in pittsburgh. both guys 26 year young and ready for the prime time. You will be surprised at how better these guys would be with Ben getting them the ball.

Troyisabeast_43, whats with wanting these old burn outs in their mid 30's. Why not the Seahawk to....lol

K Train
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
reggie williams? yuck. last year when everyone wanted matt jones it wasnt a good idea, it sure as hell isnt a better one now. if were gonna go find bums or old guys we might as well re-sign nate

Dean Denton
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
reggie williams? yuck. last year when everyone wanted matt jones it wasnt a good idea, it sure as hell isnt a better one now. if were gonna go find bums or old guys we might as well re-sign nate
but you like Clayton dont ya? nice peice of hard candy there...lol And look at my list to choose from.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
i don't want any of those cats on that list:nono:Just get me an guy who can hang on to the ball, an do some PR/KR also with some speed, height would be good also:yesnod:

Zachintosh66
02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Bryant Johnson and TJ

Always liked Drew Carter too, but he's injury prone.

Troyisabeast_43
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
**** toomer, lloyd and baskett....they would effectively make us a worse team. we wont bring anyone in, if nate walks sweed gets a confidence boost along with a promotion, he gets thrown in there and tears **** up. we will draft a WR on the first day, but we are not looking for a veteren presence on the sideline we are looking for a guy to contribute

That might very well be true that they do bump Sweed up as the 3rd receiver should Nate Washington leave. But it still doesnt change the fact that they lack depth at this position and are going to need to bring in a veteran guy to fill either the 3rd or 4th receiver spot should Nate leave. There is nobody now on the roster after Limas Sweed who is capable of being a 4th wideout on this team. I am not in favor of drafting a receiver on the first day like you said. I think this Steelers team the way it currently sits right now has much more bigger needs to address on day one of the draft then wide receiver. The o-line of course is the most important area to address, followed by getting younger on the defensive line, and then cornerback. You just cant expect the Steelers to draft a receiver even if it is in the 1st or 2nd round and for them to come in and make an immediate impact it just doesnt happen most of the time. It's why like I stated bringing somebody in from that list of names I just mentioned is going to be something I feel the Steelers and Kevin Colbert are going to need to do at some point this off-season should they not resign Nate Washington.

K Train
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
clayton i could live with more so than the rest of those failures.

i would like to bring up from within....i think the steelers can be proud of what they made nate into

Dean Denton
02-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I wold love to have the Terribler Towel hater Whosyourmama.....perfect fit. I would cut Sweed to sign him too.

Troyisabeast_43
02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Reggie Williams, Jaguars 6'4. Thats good height Ben will be pleased. Michael Clayton, Buccaneers. He has suffered playing for a team that has tried to be a run team, and not to mention a team that cant get him the ball. QB and HC issues do not make for a good passing team. He would shine in pittsburgh. both guys 26 year young and ready for the prime time. You will be surprised at how better these guys would be with Ben getting them the ball.

Troyisabeast_43, whats with wanting these old burn outs in their mid 30's. Why not the Seahawk to....lol

Hank Baskett isnt a burnout in his mid 30's he is 26 years old. He has played very well on the Eagles with McNabb when he has gotten the opportunity to start and make plays in that offense over the last 2 years. He has very good speed and is a legit down the field threat.

K Train
02-11-2009, 07:18 PM
That might very well be true that they do bump Sweed up as the 3rd receiver should Nate Washington leave. But it still doesnt change the fact that they lack depth at this position and are going to need to bring in a veteran guy to fill either the 3rd or 4th receiver spot should Nate leave. There is nobody now on the roster after Limas Sweed who is capable of being a 4th wideout on this team. I am not in favor of drafting a receiver on the first day like you said. I think this Steelers team the way it currently sits right now has much more bigger needs to address on day one of the draft then wide receiver. The o-line of course is the most important area to address, followed by getting younger on the defensive line, and then cornerback. You just cant expect the Steelers to draft a receiver even if it is in the 1st or 2nd round and for them to come in and make an immediate impact it just doesnt happen most of the time. It's why like I stated bringing somebody in from that list of names I just mentioned is going to be something I feel the Steelers and Kevin Colbert are going to need to do at some point this off-season should they not resign Nate Washington.

i dont consider CB a pressing need, i think mcfadden gets resigned and if not im comfortable with gay in there. i just dont want an old WR like toomer. Oline will be addressed no doubt but who knows whats gonna happen there. we gotta see if they are gonna resign kemo, starks and smith. WR becomes a day one need if nate walks

We could just go after TO lol

K Train
02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Hank Baskett isnt a burnout in his mid 30's he is 26 years old. He has played very well on the Eagles with McNabb when he has gotten the opportunity to start and make plays in that offense over the last 2 years. He has very good speed and is a legit down the field threat.

hes a joke, he has a handful of big plays and they are all fly routes down the left side of the field. hes kind of slow and really just gets by on his long stride and broken coverages. id be pissed if we signed him and let nate walk especially since one of the teams that are gonna look at him are the eagles....they would just win in every way then, id rather be a man short than have baskett

Steelers Proud
02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Newbie here, I just thought I would weigh in with my thoughts on the third wide receiver. I hope that Nate stays but if not I think that Sweed will get his shot. I really think that he can become a good receiver. I agree that more than likely we are going to draft a wide receiver in the later rounds. Looking at the list of free agent receivers I really didn't see a lot of help there. :imho:

K Train
02-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I wold love to have the Terribler Towel hater Whosyourmama.....perfect fit. I would cut Sweed to sign him too.

that is one of the dumbest posts ive ever read, houshmanzadeh is slow and getting old, and is asking a fortune from the bears and eagles or any other potential buyer.

a "perfect" fit for depth would be a guy like robert meachem who seems to have fallen out of favor in new orleans. hes a guy that could contribute as a #4. Meachem is a big play threat on a team stacked with WR talent, hes got tremendous straightline speed and is no fun to tackle. you dont want over priced old dudes when there is quality youth out there, some havent had the opportunity and some have been underacheivers....steelers can cure that better than some teams

Ibleedblk&gld
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
it would be a blessing for fitz to want to come to the steelers, lol

K Train
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
it would be a blessing for fitz to want to come to the steelers, lol

no it wouldnt at all, he just got a huge long term deal we would have to sell our souls to get him. Boldin would be more likely but theres no way in hell that would ever happen either because he wants to go somewhere to be the man and he will be wherever he goes. boldin>fitz and i dont care how good fitz was in the playoffs. i cant believe im actually responding to this post, have you ever seen how the steelers do work? i would rather go out and draft a steve breaston like player than pay top dollar to a #1WR

Troyisabeast_43
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
i dont consider CB a pressing need, i think mcfadden gets resigned and if not im comfortable with gay in there. i just dont want an old WR like toomer. Oline will be addressed no doubt but who knows whats gonna happen there. we gotta see if they are gonna resign kemo, starks and smith. WR becomes a day one need if nate walks

We could just go after TO lol

I disagree that it becomes a day one need because the o-line and getting younger on the defensive line are much bigger priorities then getting a wideout on the first day. I dont believe they are going to sign Marvel Smith nor do they want too with all his recent injury problems, and re-signing Max Starks is going to be tough as well since his stock has gone up from playing so well at left tackle this season while filling in. Dont forget as well while Hartwig did a nice job this season at the center position he is still only a stop gap for this past season and probably next season as well. The Steelers and Kevin Colbert need to seriously start looking at drafting a franchise left tackle and a especially a franchise center either this season in the draft or most definitely next season. Those needs are most definitely more important for this upcoming draft then addressing the wideout position on day one of the draft.

Ibleedblk&gld
02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
no it wouldnt at all, he just got a huge long term deal we would have to sell our souls to get him. Boldin would be more likely but theres no way in hell that would ever happen either because he wants to go somewhere to be the man and he will be wherever he goes. boldin>fitz and i dont care how good fitz was in the playoffs. i cant believe im actually responding to this post, have you ever seen how the steelers do work? i would rather go out and draft a steve breaston like player than pay top dollar to a #1WR

it was a joke...

fitz has outstanding speed, amazing hands, and doesn't do excessive celebration **** to draw penalties...yeah, you're right, he wouldn't work out at all...

he's one of the main factors to the cards success this season, esp. in the playoffs

steelcityrockers
02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Most of these guys aren't really all that spectacular

Devery Henderson-Crazy fast but runs sloppy routes and has suspect hands

Jabar Gaffney-He will probably re-sign with the Pats but he is a solid veteran that gets by on technique more than anything. Not an impressive athlete that has long ago hit his ceiling.

Brandon Lloyd-Lazy player that is good for one good game a year. Makes the hard catches look easy and the easy catches look hard.

Terrance Copper-Special Teams stalwart that is limited athletically. Not physically impressive.

Mark Jones-Consistent return man that does not have the size to be a contributor in the passing game

Shaun McDonald- Solid veteran player that can return punts in a pinch. Above-average speed, Above-average quickness, decent hands, not ideal size, etc.

Ashlie Lelie-Career underachiever that is now viewed as a singular deep threat with no other real virtues.

Brandon Jones-Titan may re-sign him. Young player that has been hampered by injury throughout his career. Still has room to improve.

Drew Carter-Blown out both knees and still probably runs a 4.3. Still has upside but cannot be counted on at all to produce consistently.

Keary Colbert-Piece of trash. No value what so ever

Darrell Jackson-Laziness and poor work ethic has eroded a once promising career. Worthless at this point and would probably demand too much money.

Jerry Porter-I like Jerry Porter. Not sure why. He has average size and above average speed. OK hands and decent route running ability. A bit of enigma that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

K Train
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
porter got cut today, i like him probably out of all the FAs. Hes a physical guy, hes just tough. jags overapid him for a nothing season but whatever ive always liked him lol

igor0190
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Ahh man... I will seriously cry if the Steelers sign Amani Toomer, Hank Baskett or several other players on that list. This is a disgusting joke. Ugghh, TJ Housh. Please no. Only guys that would not bother me would be Bryant Johnson, or Michael Clayton... My opinion.

I hear there's a possibilit Tory Holt gets released? Not sure if someone was just blowing smoke though. He would probably be too expensive for what we need. Our money should be going to the O-Line so we can pound the ball.

Anyone that comes to Pittsburgh should be taking a discount to come. It's a priviledge to join this team!

Callax
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I think if nate doesn't resign.. (please resign Nate, It'gonna do wonders since hines will play less and he has chance to play some #2 wr [ don't get me wrong, I LOVE HINES!! ,he is my fav player]
pitt could/should get, in no particular order:
miles austin, don't laugh, he's behind in development than nate, but has athletic ability and could blossom under hines and in pitt

Antonio bryant: yes headache and wanna be prima donna, he'll be too pricey, but maybe...
michael clayton.. could be a nice tall wr with some speed along with limas
malcolm floyd: a RFA, but very tall target to offset smaller faster santonio
mike furrey: seasoned veteran nice addition?
dante hall: mainly ko/punt returner doubt he'd be a great #3 receiver small
sam hurd a very long shot!
michael jenkins: tall hit or miss pitt won't throw a ton of bones toward him
bryant johnson: former pennstate star, maybe !!!!! i'd like him to be here
koren robinson: If he got his life together, could be a reallly nice addition, plus punt and KO returner to boot!!!!

steelcityrockers
02-11-2009, 09:47 PM
miles austin, don't laugh, he's behind in development than nate, but has athletic ability and could blossom under hines and in pitt

Antonio bryant: yes headache and wanna be prima donna, he'll be too pricey, but maybe...
michael clayton.. could be a nice tall wr with some speed along with limas
malcolm floyd: a RFA, but very tall target to offset smaller faster santonio
mike furrey: seasoned veteran nice addition?
dante hall: mainly ko/punt returner doubt a great #3 receiver small
sam hurd a very long shot!
michael jenkins: tall hi or miss pitt won't throw a ton of bones toward him
bryant johnson: former pennstate star, maybe !!!!! i'd like him to be here
koren robinson: If he got his life together, could be a reallly nice addition, plus punt and KO returner to boot!!!!

I love Miles Austin. Supreme athlete but he still has a LONG way to go

Not a chance in hell they can afford Bryant.

Clayton is a good blocker and...well yeah that's about it. Struggles to create separation.

I've always liked Floyd but he can't seem to get on the field/

I am a Furrey fan. No harm in having his as a 4th receiver.

Dante Hall is utter, utter trash. He is a **** receiver and at this point in his career a **** returner.

Sam Hurd is a nice developmental guy, although he may have hit his ceiling. Kinda slow.

Michael Jenkins is a pretty solid guy if you don't have to depend upon him. He is likely out of our price range.

Bryant Johnson is an average player all around.

Koren Robinson indeed has his life together but is a pretty meh receiver and returner if last year is any judge.

--- Added 2/11/2009 at 08:47 PM ---

Anyone that comes to Pittsburgh should be taking a discount to come. It's a priviledge to join this team!

I would also like to say this is an odd statement. No player would turn down the big Benjamins of another team to play for less in the not-so-awesome economy of Pittsburgh.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm hoping we Steal Derrick Williams from PSU late in the draft:crossfingers:.He'd be a perfect fit for us returning kicks/punts or whatever you need..plus learning from Hines would make him a beast.:2cents:

K Train
02-12-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm hoping we Steal Derrick Williams from PSU late in the draft:crossfingers:.He'd be a perfect fit for us returning kicks/punts or whatever you need..plus learning from Hines would make him a beast.:2cents:

williams is a second rounder at the latest imo

swissvale72
02-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Won't be any big splash should Nate walk...

Sweed will be #3. Let's not forget....
*he was a #2 draft choice
*he has shown he can get open
*he's shown he can catch the ball....with his hands....in some tight spots (catch on 3rd down, early 4Q, in AFCCG)
*he's shown he can bring it blocking (ask Cory Ivy)

He'll be alright. Then, we pick up a serviceable #4. Not THAT big a deal, particulary when considering that for the entire SB, whenever we went 4-wide, the 4th wide was Heath. Using your personnel this way also impedes the D from inserting desired packages, as they don't know until second before the snap of the ball if we're going with a tight end, 4 wides, or sometimes even a fullback.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
How about Limas Sweed? I hear he was a pretty high draft pick and the team that picked him is probably hoping he's going to take the next step towards greatness this year. :lol:

Really though Im not sure Nate is going to want to come back knowing that he will still be the 3rd WR. I think if Tomlin were to tell him that Hines is going to be more of a 3rd WR/ slot role used mainly in situational passing then he'd probably be willing to stick around.

igor0190
02-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't see nate going anywhere else and jumping in as there 2nd WR. He hasn't shown THAT much. I mean he works good for our offense at #3, but put him at #2 on most teams and he probably doesn't make much of an impact. Question is if there is a silly team that is going to offer him starting #2 money. If so, then he's probably gone.

K Train
02-12-2009, 11:16 AM
i think nate has a great chace to be a good #2 somewhere

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
that is one of the dumbest posts ive ever read, houshmanzadeh is slow and getting old, and is asking a fortune from the bears and eagles or any other potential buyer.

a "perfect" fit for depth would be a guy like robert meachem who seems to have fallen out of favor in new orleans. hes a guy that could contribute as a #4. Meachem is a big play threat on a team stacked with WR talent, hes got tremendous straightline speed and is no fun to tackle. you dont want over priced old dudes when there is quality youth out there, some havent had the opportunity and some have been underacheivers....steelers can cure that better than some teams
He's not slow, and he's 31. Thats not old. He's is a clutch player and the only thing good about the Bengals. He's tough with great hands and is far better then Nate or Sweed. And will continue to be for the next few years. And for the record I have posted far dumber stuff before.

K Train
02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
he gets alot of catches because hes all they have, and hes not tough, hes soft....he hears footsteps. hes a whiner and he is slow. 31 is kinda old and thats giving up on sweed way to quick, who not only has the ability to be good he has the ability to be great.

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 02:41 PM
he gets alot of catches because hes all they have, and hes not tough, hes soft....he hears footsteps. hes a whiner and he is slow. 31 is kinda old and thats giving up on sweed way to quick, who not only has the ability to be good he has the ability to be great. I agree with everything you just said about Sweed. But the glaring fact is, TJ is better right now and has never had butter fingers. And with the exception of Ward, all those Diva WR dont like getting hit. TJ is a big physical guy, and I think he's the Bengals best WR, and that Johnson guy isn't all that bad. If I had to pick Sweed or TJ right now I would go with TJ because we know that he can play, and Sweed we know can drop the ball. I wouldn't give up on Sweed, I would just cut Nate if we could have TJ. If Sweed can beat him out for the 3 spot then great, but I doubt it.

K Train
02-12-2009, 02:45 PM
because tj "is better right now"? whats the point of the draft if thats the attitude. what about in 2 years when Tj is another over the hill wr being paid 9 million a year byt teams like the raiders. He reached his max potential a long time ago, even considering signing him is taking a step backwards....a big step backwards

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 03:00 PM
because tj "is better right now"? whats the point of the draft if thats the attitude. what about in 2 years when Tj is another over the hill wr being paid 9 million a year byt teams like the raiders. He reached his max potential a long time ago, even considering signing him is taking a step backwards....a big step backwards
I guess it comes down to what you want more. Do you want to win a couple more SB in the next couple years? Because TJ gives us a better chance right now then Sweed. Or do you want to hope we can win in a couple years with a player that was paid on potential nothing more? I'm not saying cut anyone. I'm saying lets the players earn their spot on the team. Thats what Spring training and pre-season is for. My loyalty is to the Steelers not draft picks. The way teams turn it around in one season now days is crazy, and I want our best foot forward. Be it Sweed, Washington, or even TJ...I dont care who it is. I want this team to keep winning.

K Train
02-12-2009, 03:04 PM
im willing to promise you sweed wont hold us back, he will only help, TJ however will with his huge cap hit. i really think sweed is gonna have a big year next season. if we were gonna go get and overpaid, old *** wr i would just go get TO at least he can block

BlackGold4vr
02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Lynn Swann only caught 11 passes in his rookie season and zero catches in the Steelers first SB victory. Glad we didn't cut him! He was SB MVP the very next season. Not saying Sweed will one day be a HOF but the kid has hardly played. Give the Steeler scouts and FO a little bit of credit for finding us some pretty good players. Go search for Sweed on youtube and play some of his college highlights and you will see what the Steelers saw in him. A future star in our offense for years to come. Ward dropped passes too when he was just breaking into the league. And the same clowns now who sing his praises were calling for him to be cut in his earlier years. Sweed will be a stud for us when he starts getting regular playing time. Give the guy a break. :yellowthumb:

K Train
02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
the steelers will bring the right guys back, they will build through the draft and they might pick through leftover FAs near the end to find some good role players. im not even a little concerned....they know what they are doing

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
im willing to promise you sweed wont hold us back, he will only help, TJ however will with his huge cap hit. i really think sweed is gonna have a big year next season. if we were gonna go get and overpaid, old *** wr i would just go get TO at least he can block Your still mad about that shoe shine thing aren't you?...lol
What I have seen of Sweed is it looks like he can run great routes, and he's faster then ****. But....what good is it if you cant catch? If you think Sweed will be the man next year, then I am all for. I just have doubts about it. I would sleep better if he earned the spot against others. Does not have to be against TJ, who is going to ask for a lot of cash. but I want to know he beat out sold players.. And who said T.O can block? He holds. TJ has more balls, and better hair....

K Train
02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
yeah well TO is faster too lol.

i could care less about him shining his shoes, it must be hard to lose to the steelers year after year. his attitude has nothing to do with it, i would hate the steelers too. he just isnt that good i dont care how many catches he gets, hes old and dying, overrated, only good in ppr leagues

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Lynn Swann only caught 11 passes in his rookie season and zero catches in the Steelers first SB victory. Glad we didn't cut him! He was SB MVP the very next season. Not saying Sweed will one day be a HOF but the kid has hardly played. Give the Steeler scouts and FO a little bit of credit for finding us some pretty good players. Go search for Sweed on youtube and play some of his college highlights and you will see what the Steelers saw in him. A future star in our offense for years to come. Ward dropped passes too when he was just breaking into the league. And the same clowns now who sing his praises were calling for him to be cut in his earlier years. Sweed will be a stud for us when he starts getting regular playing time. Give the guy a break. :yellowthumb:
They ran the ball a hell of a lot more Swann's Rookie year then they did Sweed's. And at least Swann had 11 catches. How many did Sweed have? I think he had more drops, then catches. I have watched high light reels of Sweed and the guy can flat out play. I love his up side. Like I said, I did not ask for his removal. I only ask for increased competition. And in no way do I think TJ is over-rated garbage. He's a good football player....IMO

I was wondering when you were going to jump in on me....lol

JensK
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
They ran the ball a hell of a lot more Swann's Rookie year then they did Sweed's. And at least Swann had 11 catches. How many did Sweed have? I think he had more drops, then catches. I have watched high light reels of Sweed and the guy can flat out play. I love his up side. Like I said, I did not ask for his removal. I only ask for increased competition. And in no way do I think TJ is over-rated garbage. He's a good football player....IMO

He is a good football player when he wants to play. Problem with TJ is that he only plays good when he is "in the mood" which equals too: When he gets the ball. Pittsburgh is not going to build their system around him, which he is not going to like. Besides.. He'll want to be more than our 3th WR which i don't see him being. I also think he'll come too expensive.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-12-2009, 05:13 PM
1. Nate most like will not attract alot of attention outside of Pittsburgh. He just doesnt have the numbers or consistancy to get a contract that will be more appetizing than what the Rooneys will probley offer him.

2. IF and i meant IF someone offers him a contract that we arent willing to match and he walks... that means we actually do have a NEED in the first ther than OL!

We all WANT to see Ben get better protection Willie and Rashard get bigger/better holes. But we did just win a championship behind this line. The most important element to ANY o-line is bonding and playing as 1 unit... that takes time. Thats why they got better as the year went on AFTER losing Smith and Simmons!

Even if we get some stud T like Oher, Smith(s) or Monroe thats only gonna replace Colon. Our line gets a better by 1/5! Those 4 guys will most likely be gone in the top 20!!! So do you settle for Alex Mack when we have Hartwig and Stapleton (who they obviously love) NO! You hope a guy like Hakeem Nicks is still around and you take him to compete with Sweed and not having Nate is a non factor!

JensK
02-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Even if we get some stud T like Oher, Smith(s) or Monroe thats only gonna replace Colon. Our line gets a better by 1/5! Those 4 guys will most likely be gone in the top 20!!! So do you settle for Alex Mack when we have Hartwig and Stapleton (who they obviously love) NO! You hope a guy like Hakeem Nicks is still around and you take him to compete with Sweed and not having Nate is a non factor!

While this is correct in theory, a superior guy at the line makes the line so much better. Look at NYGs line. None of those players are really "great" players but Snee. It really means alot to have one or two domination o-line men on that line that the rest of the guys know they can depend on over and over.

BlackGold4vr
02-12-2009, 05:18 PM

I don't agree with many of your opinions but you are a Steelers fan and if we were sitting in a sports bar watching a game together I would gladly buy you a beer!

:beer1:

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 05:31 PM
He is a good football player when he wants to play. Problem with TJ is that he only plays good when he is "in the mood" which equals too: When he gets the ball. Pittsburgh is not going to build their system around him, which he is not going to like. Besides.. He'll want to be more than our 3th WR which i don't see him being. I also think he'll come too expensive.
Again, then everyone should have no problem with TJ competing for the job. The only down side I see in him is $$$$. He might have an issue being a #3 WR, but that would be up to him to play better. And you would be shocked at how the mood of a player changes when they are winning compaired to when they are losing. Your judging him on how he is made to feel with the Bengals. Would you be happy there? He's made to feel like he needs to win the games because everyone on both sides of the ball sucks except Palmer. I would be screaming for the ball too, and unhappy when I'm not getting and we loses over and over. If he is a Steeler you can bet he would have a different attitude.

God I'm friggin brilliant....lol

JensK
02-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Again, then everyone should have no problem with TJ competing for the job. The only down side I see in him is $$$$. He might have an issue being a #3 WR, but that would be up to him to play better. And you would be shocked at how the mood of a player changes when they are winning compaired to when they are losing. Your judging him on how he is made to feel with the Bengals. Would you be happy there? He's made to feel like he needs to win the games because everyone on both sides of the ball sucks except Palmer. I would be screaming for the ball too, and unhappy when I'm not getting and we loses over and over. If he is a Steeler you can bet he would have a different attitude.

God I'm friggin brilliant....lol

Maybe. Its not really sure he'd get the ball more here, although he probably would. I think its hard to tell if he would get a different attitude if he joined Steelers. Plaxico wasnt an engel when he played in Pittsburgh, so its not like we only have good guys here... Or, we do because we get rid of the troublemakers :) But yeah, what im trying to say is, im all about giving TJ a chance if he wants to take a pay-cut and willing to be the 3th WR untill he has proven him self better. I just do not see that happen

steelcitysfinestXL
02-12-2009, 05:38 PM
While this is correct in theory, a superior guy at the line makes the line so much better. Look at NYGs line. None of those players are really "great" players but Snee. It really means alot to have one or two domination o-line men on that line that the rest of the guys know they can depend on over and over.

While i totally agree with you... where do we get that guy from in this draft!?!?! By getting a top 20 pick! We dont need a C, and where we are at 32 thats probley gonna be the best available OL. If you ask me who the first guy that needs replaced is and im gonna tell you its Colon, and im a Colon fan!

We either trade up and grab a Stud like Oher or we do what the Steelers normally do after a successful year and draft the best available player... which may be Harvin or Nicks at WR. I personally like Nicks better i think he did more w/less at UNC than Harvin did at UF with Tebow!

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't agree with many of your opinions but you are a Steelers fan and if we were sitting in a sports bar watching a game together I would gladly buy you a beer!

:beer1:I would except the beer, and drink it well. Cheers.... However I would be forced to buy you shots because you area Bill Goldberg fan, and not only do I love him, but my wife has a massive crush on the guy. She loved his ring walk with his mouth opening up thing. I used it on the create mode on WWE game.

And no one really ever agrees with me, but I swear the theory is always sound in my head.....lol

K Train
02-12-2009, 05:49 PM
one stud doesnt make the line 1/5 better, thats a false statement. one guy can make other guys into probowlers. one dominating force makes everyone around better.

double d just spews garbage in his posts and claims it as brilliance. we would never go after an overage top FA whiny wr, this shouldnt even be a discussion. we get rid of those guys not bring them in. this team builds a certain way and it works....cutting sweed because he dropped a fly pattern in the endzone isnt the way it works. he says we should bring in a top FA wr to win more superbowls when we dont even have a WR close to the top and have 2 already. how many superbowls do all the top wrs have? not that many.

if anything we sign a wr that no one cares about and he helps us out more than anyone thought

SteelCityKid5
02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
I say if Nate stays or goes, pick up Jordan Norwood or Deon Bulter from Penn State. No joke, they can ball. Now, Norwood is a little undersized but, I've seen him recently and he put on some weight. Either Norwood or Butler will still be available in the 4th/5th round.

K Train
02-12-2009, 05:55 PM
lol you can always count on penn state fans to tell you who to draft

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 06:11 PM
one stud doesnt make the line 1/5 better, thats a false statement. one guy can make other guys into probowlers. one dominating force makes everyone around better.

double d just spews garbage in his posts and claims it as brilliance. we would never go after an overage top FA whiny wr, this shouldnt even be a discussion. we get rid of those guys not bring them in. this team builds a certain way and it works....cutting sweed because he dropped a fly pattern in the endzone isnt the way it works. he says we should bring in a top FA wr to win more superbowls when we dont even have a WR close to the top and have 2 already. how many superbowls do all the top wrs have? not that many.

if anything we sign a wr that no one cares about and he helps us out more than anyone thought
My assessment of TJ's situation in Cincinnati was Brilliant. Nothing more. This all started with what was on the board for FA at WR. Not sure what part of my brilliant assessment of TJ you didn't get. It was lucid and more then applies to any and all players on losing teams. Now we do get rid of whiny over the hill players, and sometimes they dont even have to be that to get shown the door. However in TJ's case, the risk is worth the reward because I think he would be happy with his roll if he helped us win. Thats all he wants. Great hands and would be our go to guy in the red zone I guranty it. Look...If Sweed pans out, then of course I would rather go that route. But this is what I would like to see if we lose Nate, and the money is right. Thats it.

K Train
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
i would rather just spend the money and keep nate lol

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
i would rather just spend the money and keep nate lol I cant argue that. He's 6'1 just like TJ, he knows the system and is only 25. He has played well for us. I would rather keep him too. but these Divas get ahead of themselves and want 30 million dollars, hence Plexi glass and randell ell...

K Train
02-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I cant argue that. He's 6'1 just like TJ, he knows the system and is only 25. He has played well for us. I would rather keep him too. but these Divas get ahead of themselves and want 30 million dollars, hence Plexi glass and randell ell...

burress wanted to be the guy somewhere and i dont blame him for that. ARE got a huge offer to be a PR but he has developed into a decent wr which he never really was with us. it really will come down to if the steelers want to keep nate, he will be back. We made him what he is and he knows that. He was about as raw as you can get out of tiffin and we polished him up into a solid player. he will never be great but thats not what he ask for. i think its up to the steelers either way if they let him walk because he has no reason to want to leave

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
burress wanted to be the guy somewhere and i dont blame him for that. ARE got a huge offer to be a PR but he has developed into a decent wr which he never really was with us. it really will come down to if the steelers want to keep nate, he will be back. We made him what he is and he knows that. He was about as raw as you can get out of tiffin and we polished him up into a solid player. he will never be great but thats not what he ask for. i think its up to the steelers either way if they let him walk because he has no reason to want to leave I know, but neither one of them are worth what they get paid. Eli needs Plexi, so he might have a little more pull on that pay check, but ARE, no way is he worthy of that much cash....

Stlrs4Life
02-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I say give Sweed a chance and draft a WR. We will have to sooner or later anyways because Hines isn't getting any younger.

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I say give Sweed a chance and draft a WR. We will have to sooner or later anyways because Hines isn't getting any younger. Did you just burn your fingers on your crack pipe? Did you just say draft a WR????? Why in the name of Kevin Colberts butt hole would we do that? We are so good there with Ward for at least 3 or 4 years. not to mention Holmes and Nate. Sweed will be fine with the 3 spot for now. Dont ever say that again.

steelcityrockers
02-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Did you just burn your fingers on your crack pipe? Did you just say draft a WR????? Why in the name of Kevin Colberts butt hole would we do that? We are so good there with Ward for at least 3 or 4 years. not to mention Holmes and Nate. Sweed will be fine with the 3 spot for now. Dont ever say that again.

I was reading this with the feeling that you were being sarcastic. Please tell me I was right. You are freaking retarded if you are being completely serious.

Ward has got two GOOD years left max. He is declining already and always seems to be nicked up. He might be around for another 4 years but he would just be a role player at that point.

igor0190
02-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Didn't Ward just have his best year in the last five? Broke 1000 yards?
Now that he is also the #2 guy I think it's not unreasonable for him to have 4 good years lefts... Look at Derek Mason, how old is he?

steelcityrockers
02-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Different circumstances. Mason is off the top of my head about 34 I think, but he also hasn't taken as much punishment in his career as Ward has. Mason is having the same problems as Ward, it's just that Flacco locks into him and stares him down and throws to him pretty much regardless, thus inflating his stats.

Ward is losing speed and the ability to separate from defenders, which is kinda necessary for a wide receiver.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Different circumstances. Mason is off the top of my head about 34 I think, but he also hasn't taken as much punishment in his career as Ward has. Mason is having the same problems as Ward, it's just that Flacco locks into him and stares him down and throws to him pretty much regardless, thus inflating his stats.

Ward is losing speed and the ability to separate from defenders, which is kinda necessary for a wide receiver.

Ward lost his speed and separation years ago!..that was never his game..he's all about blocking,finding his little holes in the defense and moving the chains.Tomlin really helped him out by limiting him in practice during the week so he'll be fresh come sundays,,seemed to pay dividends with the season he had and i could see him putting up solid numbers for another 3-4 yrs.

K Train
02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
i agree with 2 years....his knees are shot, they get worse every year. hes a slot reciever at this point. thats why hes so effective....nate and holmes really make it easier for him with their speed on the outside

steelcityrockers
02-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Ward lost his speed and separation years ago!..that was never his game..he's all about blocking,finding his little holes in the defense and moving the chains.Tomlin really helped him out by limiting him in practice during the week so he'll be fresh come sundays,,seemed to pay dividends with the season he had and i could see him putting up solid numbers for another 3-4 yrs.

Uhh, no separation is ever receiver's game. If they cannot get open (hint: separating from a corner/safety/whatever) they are pretty much useless. He is smart enough to find the holes in zone but I don't believe he fares to well in a man-scheme.

NJVITO3RIVERS
02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
do we want Burress back?

K Train
02-13-2009, 10:07 AM
too expensive, not worth the trouble anyway

ejsteeler
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Washington staying or going is going to be entirely up to him. If he wants to go for money, he is gone., otherwise, he will be brought back. Personally, I think he will be gone though I would like him to stay if for no other reason than to make Sweed work for the spot this offseason.

Dean Denton
02-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I was reading this with the feeling that you were being sarcastic. Please tell me I was right. You are freaking retarded if you are being completely serious.

Ward has got two GOOD years left max. He is declining already and always seems to be nicked up. He might be around for another 4 years but he would just be a role player at that point.
I was being sarcastic. Most people burn their lips on their crack pipe, not their fingers......

ejsteeler
02-13-2009, 12:21 PM
He was being sarcastic, but that doesn't mean he isn't a freakin retard....:yesnod: :lol:

TEEMONT
02-13-2009, 02:13 PM
He was being sarcastic, but that doesn't mean he isn't a freakin retard....:yesnod: :lol:

comedy...the bashing of DD in this thread is gold.

SteelCityKid5
02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm just saying they are good receivers. I still like Sweed but if we do lose Nate we need another WR. Plus, you can always count on retards to like Matt Jones.

jpele
02-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Nate remains a Steeler, on the off chance someone wants to overpay for him, we still have Dallas Baker (the TD maker) and Sweed who will come around.

Dean Denton
02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
comedy...the bashing of DD in this thread is gold. I have a gift that is truly amazing. I can turn an entire forum against me....lol funny thing is, I seem to be the only one that is right most the time....lol

Troyisabeast_43
02-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Nate remains a Steeler, on the off chance someone wants to overpay for him, we still have Dallas Baker (the TD maker) and Sweed who will come around.

Baker will not be enough to keep around if Nate doesnot resign with us. I have no problem like many of us have talked about bumping Sweed up as the 3rd receiver, but the Steelers still lack depth at this position especially with Hines not getting any younger and being more prone to being injured and possibly missing some games. They need to bring in one of the names I threw out on the free agent market to add some depth and experience to this receiving core should Washington not re-sign.

Mark B.
02-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Baker may just get the shot. This is a good situation for him.

One of the best things about the Steeler Organization is smarter action in free agency. This whole thread makes me think of the Duce Staley signing a few years ago. He had that one decent year but didn't crack one thousand yards. He then sat the bench until he was cut. I hope the Steelers can get it right but none of these WR names really get me off the ground. Furrey could be cheap, he is a good guy, and he deserves to play for a winner.

Housch will demand top dollar and will get it along with Boldin, and Pittman. Porter can't seem to stick anywhere. Hell, TO may even get the boot this year. The team that I worry about getting Housch is Balitmore. They are on the rise and Flacco could use the talent with Mason getting up there.

I hope that attention is paid to the O and D lines. They do need some work, especially on the O side. I think the performance of Parker vs Mendenhall will dictate which players get signed or drafted and that won't be known until after next season anyway.
I pray we can draft a young raw center that can be coached into a Dawson or Hartings caliber center. Stapleton, Starks, Kemo, I just don't feel good about the long term viability of these names long term. Let's think O line vice WR's.

If any of these potential Free Agents were the end all and be all then their current teams would be making the effort. They aren't, maybe we shouldn't either.

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-13-2009, 05:26 PM
The Steelers drafted Limas Sweed for a reason. The only problem with Sweed during his rookie year was his consistency. He had tremendous athletic ability and obviously gets open from what we all saw this year. He just can't catch the ball. But this issue is easily fixed. All Limas has to do is train with Santonio in the offseason in Florida. Holmes caught a million balls in the offseason wearing weighted gloves. This ALONE made #10 the MVP of Superbowl XLIII. Sweed and Holmes need to buddy up and IF Nate Washington happens to stay, Sweed's progress will help the depth of the WR's. Limas will also be a good weapon in the Red Zone with his 6'4 frame. However, this all depends on Sweed's progression......

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Make no mistake, somebody will most likely throw some big money to Nate just like they did for Randel El after SB XL. Whether or not he deserves is beside the fact, there's always somebody who will offer a FA from a super bowl a lot of money. If he does leave though 43 is right we will have serious depth issues on this roster come next year. Sweed, while he may have a big upside, is only going into his 2nd year so there is no guarantee he will do anything. The only sure things we know at WR right now are Hines and Santonio. Up until this year we knew we had 3 solid options at WR, if Nate leaves we will only have 2.

This is what Sweed was drafted for, his time will come this year regardless of if Nate returns or not. You don't get drafted in the 2nd round to sit on the bench.

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Make no mistake, somebody will most likely throw some big money to Nate just like they did for Randel El after SB XL. Whether or not he deserves is beside the fact, there's always somebody who will offer a FA from a super bowl a lot of money. If he does leave though 43 is right we will have serious depth issues on this roster come next year. Sweed, while he may have a big upside, is only going into his 2nd year so there is no guarantee he will do anything. The only sure things we know at WR right now are Hines and Santonio. Up until this year we knew we had 3 solid options at WR, if Nate leaves we will only have 2.

This is what Sweed was drafted for, his time will come this year regardless of if Nate returns or not. You don't get drafted in the 2nd round to sit on the bench.

You make a good point. But I think there is a good chance Nate will learn from Randel El's or Faneca's mistakes. Teams will throw money at Nate and the NFL is indeed a business. Washington is young and he should realize that if he takes the money and runs from the Steelers, there is a very good chance he will not even play in another Superbowl (especially with any other team). This is the case with Faneca and Randel El. Who knows, $$$ talks and I wouldn't give up a chance to win more Superbowl(s) to take a few extra million than the Steelers will offer. But maybe that is just me....

Money makes people greedy

Dean Denton
02-13-2009, 06:06 PM
You make a good point. But I think there is a good chance Nate will learn from Randel El's or Faneca's mistakes. Teams will throw money at Nate and the NFL is indeed a business. Washington is young and he should realize that if he takes the money and runs from the Steelers, there is a very good chance he will not even play in another Superbowl (especially with any other team). This is the case with Faneca and Randel El. Who knows, $$$ talks and I wouldn't give up a chance to win more Superbowl(s) to take a few extra million than the Steelers will offer. But maybe that is just me....

Money makes people greedy No its not just you. I feel that way too ,but thats because I am really passionate about things. However I am not these guys putting life and limb on the line. Sometimes those extra couple million make a difference. for me, if I'm already rich, then I want the ring, and the chance to be great. If I already have a ring, then I want a chance for another. Nate would be best served in staying. Unless he goes to Seattle...lol

steelcityrockers
02-13-2009, 09:39 PM
He already has 2 rings. At this point he wold be retarded to not take the money. And who is to say that the Steelers win another? Several teams in need of a wide out (Seattle, Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore, Arizona if Boldin gets traded, Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas City, Philadelphia, etc) have a good shot to run deep in the playoffs as well. Yes including Kansas City. They were 6 last minute drives from winning the AFC West last year.

Troyisabeast_43
02-13-2009, 09:54 PM
He already has 2 rings. At this point he wold be retarded to not take the money. And who is to say that the Steelers win another? Several teams in need of a wide out (Seattle, Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore, Arizona if Boldin gets traded, Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas City, Philadelphia, etc) have a good shot to run deep in the playoffs as well. Yes including Kansas City. They were 6 last minute drives from winning the AFC West last year.

None of those teams you just mentioned while they might get into the playoffs they will never have a chance to win a Super Bowl because none of them with the exception of maybe the Ravens with Joe Flacco have a franchise QB at this point and time. And yes that does include both Arizona and Philly who I know have Kurt Warner who might end up retiring, and the Eagles still have McNabb who I am totally convinced is a choker and will never win the big game. The teams you just mentioned that have a chance to make a decent run in the playoffs like Seattle,Miami,Buffalo,Chicago,Minnesota,and Kansas City will never see a Super Bowl in my opinion.

steelcityrockers
02-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Never say never mano. I've seen too much weird **** happen in the NFL to underestimate some teams.

Scratch Seattle off that list btw. They need too much **** and have Brian Russell on their team.

Anyway, Miami has Chad Pennington who is a terrific, cerebral QB.

Chicago has to get their **** together (pass rush, receivers) but Orton looked decent last year.

KC replaced Herm, which upgrades the team two-fold. They need to find a pass-rusher and a good LB. Another receiver and they are mostly set.

Buffalo has Trent Edwards, who still has the look of a franchise QB. They too need an upgrade of their pass rush badly and a receiver to pair with Lee Evans as well as a TE, and they should be ok. Except for Dick Jauron. He is a terrible coach.

Vikings do need a QB but regardless are poised to make a run

Real Deal Steel
02-14-2009, 12:38 AM
toomer, lloyd and baskett....they would effectively make us a worse team. we wont bring anyone in, if nate walks sweed gets a confidence boost along with a promotion, he gets thrown in there and tears **** up. we will draft a WR on the first day, but we are not looking for a veteren presence on the sideline we are looking for a guy to contribute

Sweed is the guy who moves up. Other then Bryant, all the other mentioned WR's would be a step down from Washington.

Blitzburghpete
02-20-2009, 04:40 AM
What about one of the two detroit WR's Shaun McDonald or Mike Furrey.

Safe pair of hands, good receviers. With the competition they have had in detroit for catching balls these guys can play just not given as much chance to produce as they could have done

K Train
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
sweed is just going to step up, we dont need FA bums.

if sweed scares you, thats fine...hes gonna scare everyone when he begins his reign of world domination sept '09

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2009, 10:53 AM

if sweed scares you, thats fine...hes gonna scare everyone when he begins his reign of world domination sept '09

:plus1:

The guy is gonna be a monster! When Ward finally hangs up the cleats, they will be talking about Holmes/Sweed like they used to talk about Swann/Stallworth. Mark it down!

TEEMONT
02-20-2009, 11:01 AM
:plus1:

The guy is gonna be a monster! When Ward finally hangs up the cleats, they will be talking about Holmes/Sweed like they used to talk about Swann/Stallworth. Mark it down!

So...mediocre careers that get them into the HoF? As long as they win 2-3 more SB's I'm down.

TampaSteelGirl
02-20-2009, 02:51 PM

I agree here..Look at Santonio, the guy scared the poo out of me his first year! I cringed everytime he played special teams but not as much as WR..I think he's determinted and alot of potentional to be as good as Santonio in a short amount of time. Once the nerves wear off and he plays some real football time I see him being quite beneficial to this team. Who knows 2 yrs from now he could be our next MVP!! :tt02:

SteelerFan87
02-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah I think we'd just bump Sweed up. But it would suck to lose Nate just as he's starting to develop into a dependable WR.

BlackGold4vr
02-22-2009, 11:08 AM
9:45 a.m.: It looks like the Steelers are prepared for life without Nate Washington. According to Tribune-Review columnist John Harris, the Steelers haven't engaged in talks with Washington, their No. 3 receiver who became a legitimate deep threat by the end of the season and who will likely move on in free agency this week.

Yes, Washington has inconsistent hands and is a bit on the soft side, but Limas Sweed hasn't proven he's ready to move up in class just yet. Of course, it's been the Steelers' style to force feed their high draft picks, and that must be their thinking here.

While Sweed dropped easy touchdown passes down the stretch and in the playoffs, he did get off the line and run past cornerbacks. He's big, fast, strong, enthusiastic, and a punishing and willing blocker. All he has to do now is catch the thing.

Another factor playing a role in what appears to be a decision to let Washington walk is that Kevin Colbert loves this crop of receivers. He told us here at the combine that it's a deep class with players available into the later rounds.

Bye Bye, Nate! You grabbed 2 rings with us which is more than some HOF like Dan Marino have. Heres wishing you fair winds and following seas. Good luck wherever you go as long as its not a division rival. If thats the case, I wish you more misery than your plate will allow for. :lol:

Time to step up big Sweed! This is your time to shine.

Troyisabeast_43
02-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Bye Bye, Nate! You grabbed 2 rings with us which is more than some HOF like Dan Marino have. Heres wishing you fair winds and following seas. Good luck wherever you go as long as its not a division rival. If thats the case, I wish you more misery than your plate will allow for. :lol:

Time to step up big Sweed! This is your time to shine.

I echo those sentiments as well and I will not lose any sleep if the Steelers aren't able to keep Nate Washington around. While he has gotten better over the course of the last few seasons, he is still inconsistent and drops way too many balls for my liking. The bottom line is he is replaceable just like Randle El was when he left for the money after the Super Bowl win in 2005 and when all is said and done Nate Washington aside from the salary increase he will probably get on the open market, from a football perspective Nate Washington will miss the Steelers a lot more then the Steelers will miss Nate Washington.

ejsteeler
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
....from a football perspective Nate Washington will miss the Steelers a lot more then the Steelers will miss Nate Washington.

That's exactly what I am thinking. :yellowthumb:

Sir Blitzelot
02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I do not want to see Washington leave, he has proven that he is a solid number three reciever and fits in nicely with the offensive scheme. Right now, I am much more comfortable with having Nate as the third reciever, rather than having Limas as the number three.

Troyisabeast_43
02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I do not want to see Washington leave, he has proven that he is a solid number three reciever and fits in nicely with the offensive scheme. Right now, I am much more comfortable with having Nate as the third reciever, rather than having Limas as the number three.

Nate is as good as gone somebody is going to overpay for him and the Steelers have much more bigger needs to address then bringing back a 3rd wide receiver. They already have a guy in Sweed who is ready to step in and be that guy, and plus they can also find someone suitable in free agency this year or even go mid-rounds in the draft as well since the wideout group is pretty strong in both areas.

DIESELMAN
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Numbered days..... (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_612919.html)

A good life that should become even better with the beginning of unrestricted free agency Friday. With that in mind, Washington is preparing for life after the Steelers.

"Nate had a great run in Pittsburgh. If his final game has been played there, so be it,'' said Thomas Tafelski, who represents Washington.

Tafelski is resigned to the fact that Washington, considered one of the top free agent receivers, will be moving on.

"None," Tafelski said when asked about the status of Washington's negotiations with the Steelers.

"I would have thought they would have reached out. We spoke briefly at the Super Bowl."

If the Steelers don't sign Washington before Friday, he won't be back.

Troyisabeast_43
02-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Numbered days..... (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_612919.html)

A good life that should become even better with the beginning of unrestricted free agency Friday. With that in mind, Washington is preparing for life after the Steelers.

"Nate had a great run in Pittsburgh. If his final game has been played there, so be it,'' said Thomas Tafelski, who represents Washington.

Tafelski is resigned to the fact that Washington, considered one of the top free agent receivers, will be moving on.

"None," Tafelski said when asked about the status of Washington's negotiations with the Steelers.

"I would have thought they would have reached out. We spoke briefly at the Super Bowl."

If the Steelers don't sign Washington before Friday, he won't be back.

As a wise man once was quoted as coming up with the saying "Oh Well"...His agent is making quotes there like Nate is TJ Houshzmanzadeh or something. The Steelers let two far better receivers go in the last 5-6 years in Plaxico Burress and Antwaan Randle El and ended up winning one Super Bowl each without either one of them on the team. So you can take it to the bank they will not lose a wink of sleep about letting Nate Washington go.

DIESELMAN
02-23-2009, 07:00 PM
As a wise man once was quoted as coming up with the saying "Oh Well"...His agent is making quotes there like Nate is TJ Houshzmanzadeh or something. The Steelers let two far better receivers go in the last 5-6 years in Plaxico Burress and Antwaan Randle El and ended up winning one Super Bowl each without either one of them on the team. So you can take it to the bank they will not lose a wink of sleep about letting Nate Washington go.
It doesn't bother me if we lose Nate or not. He wasn't that consistent anyways. Yeah he made some clutch grabs but he dropped more then he could hold onto. Its still going to be another 2-3 years before he actually makes it as a consistent, dependable WR.....

ejsteeler
02-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Dead freakin on man. Nate is definately not "all that". The experience and comfort with the system is the only loss. Not a big deal.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
This all reminds me of when El left , was a good receiver who had a memorable last game with us....and hasn't been heard of since!!

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
If (when) Nate goes we will be able to find another project WR and bring him up just like they did with Nate...You still have Dallas Baker who is a little bigger than Nate and should really improve in our system this year..another project guy is Martin Nance who played with Big Ben at Miami and is another big target at 6'3 215lbs.It will be interesting to see who steps up and takes advantage of the open spot if Nate leaves. I still like our core of Holmes, Sweed and Ward..the role players will have to battle it out in camp.

K Train
02-24-2009, 01:17 PM
i want nothing to do with dallas baker

BR7
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Where's your boy, Cedric? :lol:

K Train
02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
lets not joke about that little bitch

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-24-2009, 01:41 PM

lol, i hear ya man...he is a scrub like Nate was..but the Steelers seem to mold these guys into decent players who help the cause.Superstars?..Never...but role players are sometimes just as valuable.Bottomline i don't think losing Nate is gonna hinder this team at all.

K Train
02-24-2009, 01:52 PM
see i dont think nate was ever a scrub. he was very raw and unpolished but since day one hes had elite speed and great leaping ability...baker is slow, route running retarded and i want nothing to do with him, he had his chance last year

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-24-2009, 02:19 PM
We'll just have to wait and see..i'd rather see them bring someone up from within..you know they aren't gonna make any big moves for any UFA's...last two i can remember was Mathis and of course your boy Ced..lol. Where is Fred Gibson when ya need him??:grin1:

WarriorScholar
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Ronald Curry. He's definitely better than some of the bums listed. Not to mention he has played with the Raiders horrible QB's his whole career and still put up decent stats. This is a great chance for the Steelers to get him since he will come cheap..coming off a bad year..being buried on the depth chart last year. For you fantasy people, you know that people were expecting big things from Curry...that was until they drafted Russell. Anyways, at the price we could get him for, I'm hoping we jump on that.

DIESELMAN
02-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Ronald Curry. He's definitely better than some of the bums listed. Not to mention he has played with the Raiders horrible QB's his whole career and still put up decent stats. This is a great chance for the Steelers to get him since he will come cheap..coming off a bad year..being buried on the depth chart last year. For you fantasy people, you know that people were expecting big things from Curry...that was until they drafted Russell. Anyways, at the price we could get him for, I'm hoping we jump on that.

He was mentioned here.....

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19303

WarriorScholar
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM
There were a lot of WR's released today. Galloway, Hilliard, Coles, Dj Hackett, Drew Bennett.

Add Marvin Harrison, Ronald Curry, and Bryant Johnson to that list as well. That will decrease Nate's chances of getting a big contract. Before these releases he was rated the #3 WR on most sites behind Bryant and TJ Housh, but now he has some competition. A lot of teams will jump at the chance at signing Coles. Harrison is up there in age but obviously someone will still pay him at least 6 or 7 mil to play with them..maybe a team with a young QB that needs veteran WR's. Ravens would make sense. I said before I wanted Curry, but the guy I always liked since he played with the Titans was Drew Bennett. He was great with them, and hasn't done much since going to the Rams...being hurt both years I think. So I know we could get him cheap, but it's about us wanting him and if he could even stay healthy. There will be more releases tomorrow with free agency starting on Friday, I say we let Nate walk since his agent thinks he will get a huge contract, and pick up a vet like Bennett or Curry, or even Bryant Johnson for a cheap price.

Those are the types of guys we should get, guys that have potential but were on bad teams with bad QB's so they would be available for a cheaper price. You can't just sign guys that were great on other teams because it would cost way too much, which is why I wouldn't even think about signing Housh or Coles. Pats sign guys like Welker, Stallworth, and even Moss( since he was supposed to be on the downside of his career, so they got him cheap) and make them better in their system. We can do the same. And this year we can certainly do better than our last WR signing..Cedrick Wilson.

Bucsfan4ever
02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey, I wouldn't mind seeing Nate as a Buc...he would be a great replacement for Joey!!

Callax
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
BTW, That was my thread I started about Curry... anyway, I'm thinking that Nate might come back, but I'm doubting it as each day goes by... Sweed most likely will be the #3 wr and who knows who will be #4, maybe dallas baker, a cheap FA pickup (Bennett, Curry), a low round pick out of a Div II school, or a undrafted rookie (like Nate a few years ago out of Tiffin)... He wasn't anything to rave about until this year when he made a few big plays in key situations... I like Nate, he has been making strides over the last few years... He still has room for improvement and if he leaves I think he will be a bit of a high price FA bust... sorry, calling it like I see it!!

igor0190
02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
If nate signs for anything more than 3rd WR money than you can chalk him up as a bust wherever he goes. He is not worth anything more than that.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
There were a lot of WR's released today. Galloway, Hilliard, Coles, Dj Hackett, Drew Bennett.

Add Marvin Harrison, Ronald Curry, and Bryant Johnson to that list as well. That will decrease Nate's chances of getting a big contract. Before these releases he was rated the #3 WR on most sites behind Bryant and TJ Housh, but now he has some competition. A lot of teams will jump at the chance at signing Coles. Harrison is up there in age but obviously someone will still pay him at least 6 or 7 mil to play with them..maybe a team with a young QB that needs veteran WR's. Ravens would make sense. I said before I wanted Curry, but the guy I always liked since he played with the Titans was Drew Bennett. He was great with them, and hasn't done much since going to the Rams...being hurt both years I think. So I know we could get him cheap, but it's about us wanting him and if he could even stay healthy. There will be more releases tomorrow with free agency starting on Friday, I say we let Nate walk since his agent thinks he will get a huge contract, and pick up a vet like Bennett or Curry, or even Bryant Johnson for a cheap price.

Those are the types of guys we should get, guys that have potential but were on bad teams with bad QB's so they would be available for a cheaper price. You can't just sign guys that were great on other teams because it would cost way too much, which is why I wouldn't even think about signing Housh or Coles. Pats sign guys like Welker, Stallworth, and even Moss( since he was supposed to be on the downside of his career, so they got him cheap) and make them better in their system. We can do the same. And this year we can certainly do better than our last WR signing..Cedrick Wilson.

Good Post:yellowthumb: It's gonna be interesting with the market flooded with quality # 3 guys available..maybe Nate stays,maybe not.Like i said before it's not really gonna hinder us one bit..he's easily replaceable.He never really was a consistant guy anyhow and i'll trade his "splash plays" for some good consistant play anyday.

igor0190
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
If Nate stays there is a good chance he is unseeded by Limas halfway through next year anyways. He would be nice to sign to a lower paying 2 year deal for some depth, but I am sure he is after a long term contract somewhere. I believe the Steelers view him as expendable.

Dean Denton
02-26-2009, 03:42 PM
If Nate stays there is a good chance he is unseeded by Limas halfway through next year anyways. He would be nice to sign to a lower paying 2 year deal for some depth, but I am sure he is after a long term contract somewhere. I believe the Steelers view him as expendable. This is a very good point. Nate might not want to sign with us because of Sweed. I have not thought about that. He stands to make more money somewhere else because we wont give him big $$$ because of Sweed. and if we do, then Sweed might be on the way out soon....Just a thought.

WarriorScholar
02-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Nate will be visiting the Lions today. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer him about 5 mil a year. Even though the lions are the joke of the league, I honestly think that would be a good fit for him. They have no #2 WR right now , and playing on the opposite side of Calvin Johnson he should get open a lot.

K Train
02-27-2009, 03:39 AM
out of all the teams interested in him....the lions, vikes and titans the lions would be the best move for his career. the vikes and titans stockpile #2 and #3 wrs and he would disappear. in detroit he would plenty of opportunities and calvin is a true stud of a wr....it would be good for him

Captcoolhand
02-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I hate to see Washington go because at least you know what you have with him. Unlike what we even can make of Sweed. But who knows, maybe Sweed will play the norm here in Pittsburgh and come through in his second year. :imho:

Zachintosh66
02-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Bryant Johnson just signed with the Lions... so maybe Nate will come back :crossfingers: