PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward has surgery...

DIESELMAN
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Hines Ward underwent minor shoulder surgery this week but apparently will not need an operation to repair the right knee he injured during the AFC championship game.

Ward sprained his knee against Baltimore on Jan. 18, but recovered to make two catches for 43 yards as the Steelers beat Arizona 27-23 in the Super Bowl on Feb. 1.

After the Steelers won their second NFL title in four seasons, Ward said he might need knee surgery.
The shoulder operation was a routine procedure that should not disrupt Ward's preparation for next season. He made 81 catches for 1,043 yards, his best season statistically in five years.

Good news on his knee, hopefully he'll have an injury free 2009 and post career numbers.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2009, 07:16 PM
That's good to hear, I was fully expecting him to need surgery on that knee. He's got the whole offseason to heal up.

ejsteeler
02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Very good news. Hines has done his magic with Santonio, next year he needs to focus a little more on Sweed. :yesnod:

AZ_Steeler
02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
He's do for an injury free season... It's been so long I don't even remember the last time he went with an injury!

Dean Denton
02-11-2009, 12:39 PM
He's do for an injury free season... It's been so long I don't even remember the last time he went with an injury!
At his age and the way he plays I dont think he can avoid it anymore. Lets just hope it wont ever be anything to severe. I am pleased that his knee is ok. Shocked too. I thought he was going under the knife for sure. So what was the deal with the shoulder? Never heard anything about that one.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Ward definitely head up as fast as he used too. At this point I don't expect to see him have a completely injury free year for the rest of his career. When he gets hamstring or knee injuries it just takes longer to heal so we might as well deal with it.

He wasn't 100% for the super bowl but it's obvious he got himself as ready as he good and he went out there and gutted it out when it had to be uncomfortable not only dealing with the pain as the game wore on but trying to run effectively in that brace is a bit hampering too. Tomlin will continue to give him limited practices during training camp and the regular season so he stays as fresh as possible but one thing is for sure he's as tough as they come in the NFL, no question!

Troyisabeast_43
02-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Ward definitely head up as fast as he used too. At this point I don't expect to see him have a completely injury free year for the rest of his career. When he gets hamstring or knee injuries it just takes longer to heal so we might as well deal with it.

He wasn't 100% for the super bowl but it's obvious he got himself as ready as he good and he went out there and gutted it out when it had to be uncomfortable not only dealing with the pain as the game wore on but trying to run effectively in that brace is a bit hampering too. Tomlin will continue to give him limited practices during training camp and the regular season so he stays as fresh as possible but one thing is for sure he's as tough as they come in the NFL, no question!

While I am sure Hines definitely wasnt 100 percent the entire season this year he still played in all 16 games and played at a very high level this season as well in doing so. Hines will be fine I think and as long as Tomlin keeps doing what he did with Hines this season giving him every Wednesday off during the work week and keeping him as fresh as possible for gameday on Sunday, Hines will continue to do what he always does since he has been in a Steelers uniform and that is play at a pretty high level, and continue to make big catches and be the productive receiver that he has always been. With all that being said, I believe that if the Steelers should win back to back Super Bowls again next season with Hines in the final year of his contract, he will definitely think about or at least ponder the idea of retirement.

vtwin_gary
02-11-2009, 09:50 PM
glad to hear (well... see this)