PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger played with broken ribs

ejsteeler
02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Roethlisberger played with broken ribsComment Email Print ESPN.com news services

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with broken ribs, SI.com's Peter King has reported.

Coach Mike Tomlin had denied any injury problem with Roethlisberger in the week before the Super Bowl.

Roethlisberger was seen stretching his midtorso region throughout the week and apparently was comfortable in the game, going 21-for-30 with 256 yards and the game-winning touchdown late in the fourth quarter to Santonio Holmes.

Roethlisberger also threw an interception and was sacked three times. The Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals 27-23.

"Fractured ribs,'' Roethlisberger told SI.com. "Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt. But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything they could have done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play.''

Roethlisberger was drilled in the back by a helmet during the AFC title game against the Baltimore Ravens on Jan. 18 and did not leave the game, though backup Byron Leftwich hurriedly warmed up.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Imagine if he was healthy! Ben is da man. But he is right, there wouldn't have been anything else they could have done for him.

Troyisabeast_43
02-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Imagine if he was healthy! Ben is da man. But he is right, there wouldn't have been anything else they could have done for him.

Ben is quite simply a warrior and is tough as **** and I wouldnt want any other QB in the NFL including Manning or Brady on this Steelers team leading them. If people dont recognize once and for all how good and how tough Ben Roethlisberger is after all he went through this season with the bad o-line and getting injured on a weekly basis and still finding ways to win games then they need to have their heads examined.

Dean Denton
02-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Jesus. To me Ben is the difference between a C*ck and a Wee Wee. He is all man. We have players that cant play with all different types injuries in this league, and Ben plays with busted Ribs? lol....Again the guy just is amazing. Didn't Warner miss two seasons with a limp wrist? WOW!!!!! Ben Rocks...

HUNT4SEVEN
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Ben is something special, he's been playin with pain every since he came into the league, Now every now an then he blacks out an loses his mind by making some bad decisions, but over all he's the best for us.

JensK
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
As long as he does not get hit too hard, its not that bad of an injury. Yes, it hurts like crap, but you can "block" most of the pain with a couple of shots, and then he just have to suck it up and play, as he said! :) Im impressed he played that great though.

igor0190
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
All things considered, Warner also had to play with those things of his he calls legs. Ever noticed how they can't find pants to fit him?? I guess they only make football pants for guys with muscles in their legs

Stairwayto7
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Ben is tough! Or he is a prima dona! LOL

LarryNJ
02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Maybe they gave BA a couple of shots before the game too. :) Ben will heal over the spring and come back stronger than ever. Will they get someone to take care of him is the question.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I remember that play against the ratbirds, there wasn't even a penalty called on it and it was clearly after he had thrown the ball.

SteelersWoman
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Ben is tough! Or he is a prima dona! LOL

http://www.medicinenet.com/fracture/page3.htm
The treatment for bruised and broken ribs is the same: ice to the chest wall, ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory, deep breaths and pain medication.Even if all goes well, there will be significant pain for four to six weeks.

After reading that, I'd say "Ben is tough"! :yellowthumb:

Roadkill
02-09-2009, 07:11 PM
PAIN if it dont kill you it makes you stronger

BlackGold4vr
02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
When will we start protecting our 100 million dollar franchise quarterback? Maybe after his career is cut short and we are in the basement of the AFC North we will finally get to draft high enough to build a decent O-line and protect the next Kordell Stewart! Starks might be the ONLY guy on our entire O-line who could start on at least the bottom half of the leagues worst lines. I don't think Starks plays on most of the better teams starting O-lines. Rest of our guys wouldn't even make the teams. Garbage in....garbage out. Don't ever expect a bunch of 6th round and undrafted players to gel into some awesome O-line. Its like expecting a minor league farm team to beat the Yankees or Red Sox. They are what they are....a ragtag bunch of misfits. :yesnod:

Its like we entered a rolls royce into a demolition derby!

steel4life
02-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Ben doesn't get the respect he deserves. He's a lot better and smarter quarterback than people say. And he keeps getting better. He's the freakin man now, I can't wait to see how great he'll be in years to come. He's a warrior and a beast on the field!!!!!!!!!!!!:helmet:

Steel Trap86
02-10-2009, 02:36 AM
When will we start protecting our 100 million dollar franchise quarterback?

I'm with ya on that man, we may have won the Superbowl, but Ben sure paid a bigger price then he should have. Concussions, broken ribs, 50 sacks (highest in NFL). Hopefully we can get something going in the draft and beef up this sorry *** o-line. There's no limits after we do that. :cope:

TampaSteelGirl
02-10-2009, 09:03 AM
I remember that play against the ratbirds, there wasn't even a penalty called on it and it was clearly after he had thrown the ball.

But it's been that way the last 2 years!! Sandwiched by 2 players AFTER the ball throw in many, many games....That's why I was so surprised when he got the roughing the passer call...couldn't freakin believe it!!!