PDA

View Full Version : Butler leaving?

DIESELMAN
02-08-2009, 07:27 AM
The Arizona Cardinals fired defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergrast on Friday and several Phoenix-based writers are speculating that his replacement will be Steelers linebackers coach Kevin Butler, who coached with Ken Whisenhunt in Pittsburgh and is well versed in the nuances of the 3-4 defense. Butler played in the defense for the Seattle Seahawks and has coached Steelers linebackers since 2003.

Whisenhunt attempted to lure Butler to coach linebackers when he was hired by the Cardinals in 2007, but the Steelers refused to allow Butler to interview for the position, which at the time was a lateral move.

Butler had been rumored for the defensive coordinator job in San Francisco last month, but now looms as the top candidate in Arizona. The Cardinals have already sought permission from the Steelers to interview Butler. Since the coordinator position is considered a promotion, the Steelers would be forced to oblige the Cardinals.

Should the position in Pittsburgh open up, one name to keep in mind is former Steelers LB Jerry Olsavsky, who coaches linebackers at Youngstown State. He had applied for the position when Mike Archer resigned, but the Steelers instead hired Butler.

Dale Lolley
SCI.com

Anybody hear anything?

yinzer
02-08-2009, 08:03 AM
i'm calling bullshiat, diesel but that doesn't mean we shouldn't find out what greg lloyd is up to these days.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Wouldn't surprise me to see him go if that it is indeed the case. When you're the super bowl champs or a generally successful team people always want your guys. I hope he stays though!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
You can't blame Butler since this would be a step up for him....But I always pegged Butler on being one of the candidates to replace Coach LeBeau as DC when he finally retired.....But Coach LeBeau shows no signs of slowing down and wanting to retire...lol So Butler has to jump at this chance to be a DC.......

I wouldn't mind Jerry O on being the next LB coach....Usually players that were not big time stars make the best coaches.....Jerry Olsavsky was a solid player but wasn't a super star....As for Greg Lloyd we don't even know if he would interested in coaching.......Plus Lloyd might be way to intense to be a coach...lol He might kill a player if they made a mistake...lol

AZ_Steeler
02-08-2009, 11:24 AM
This will just add to the debate of the "Arizona Steelers"... the Steelers do have great linebackers, but I feel that is due to the system installed and not a positional coach. If Butler does leave it's a loss where the Steelers won't really feel the impact, unlike when Grimm left.

igor0190
02-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I hate that Whisenhunt keeps on "Steeling" all of our personnel. Doesn't he know any coaches or players outside of Pittsburgh?

I'm sure in the specific case, Butler shouldn't be too hard to replace.
On a side note Kevin Greene was just signed last week by the GB Packers to coach LB's

yinzer
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
I hate that Whisenhunt keeps on "Steeling" all of our personnel. Doesn't he know any coaches or players outside of Pittsburgh?

I'm sure in the specific case, Butler shouldn't be too hard to replace.
On a side note Kevin Greene was just signed last week by the GB Packers to coach LB's

whiz is a copycat.

spyboots
02-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Identity theft.

Whis wasn't made Steelers HC so he's creating his own "Steelers" team. Cards need to create their OWN identify.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-08-2009, 03:08 PM
whiz is a copycat.
Yea Whiz is, but we should be ok, he was just an position coach, i thought he would be promoted from within also after Lebeau retired, oh well maybe he will turn it down if Tomlin tells him that he's his next D-coordinator:thinking:

Stairwayto7
02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I think he will stay, I`m guessing that he has a deal worked out with us to take Coach LeBeaus spot next season!

Stlrs4Life
02-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Well, it is only an interview. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll get beat out.

Roadkill
02-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Identity theft.

Whis wasn't made Steelers HC so he's creating his own "Steelers" team. Cards need to create their OWN identify.

They have had there own ID for years and that aint workin for them very well so they go with what they know

Ambridge
02-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Identity theft.

This is utter BS!! :evilshake:

Hey Whiz!!
You're the Head-man there in Phoenix so how about showing some of your own skills and grow your own talent both on the field and on the coaching staff!!!

First off you act like a Little Bitch and fire your DC not even a week after the Superbowl and now you want to raid the team that's made you viable so far in your 2 year tenure.

Talk about putting your fingerprints on a team.....I guess Whiz's definition is leaving your fingerprints on your former team like a thief leaves his prints all over the place right after he's ransacked a house.

A-Hole!!

igor0190
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Decent chance that Tomlin would have a quality replacement lined up anyways.

Stairwayto7
02-09-2009, 07:48 AM
If Butler is the next in line, could the Steelers make him a Asst Def Cor, until Lebeau retires.

BlackGold4vr
02-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Apparently, winning ways and Pittsburgh is all that Wieselboy knows. He aint scabbing from where he came from before his OC job in Pittsburgh. There should be a whole new cast of rejects for him to sort through soon as we wade through our free agent casualties. Look for more Cardinals to be picked from our cast-offs! :lol:

Stairwayto7
02-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Apparently, winning ways and Pittsburgh is all that Wieselboy knows. He aint scabbing from where he came from before his OC job in Pittsburgh. There should be a whole new cast of rejects for him to sort through soon as we wade through our free agent casualties. Look for more Cardinals to be picked from our cast-offs! :lol:

Did you say West Coast Steelers?:lol:

igor0190
02-09-2009, 11:15 AM
It's like having our own little farm team... Only difference is that most of the guys we don't want back. But hey, it gives some of our older veterans somewhere to play after the glory days and at least we can still watch their careers.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Apparently, winning ways and Pittsburgh is all that Wieselboy knows. He aint scabbing from where he came from before his OC job in Pittsburgh. There should be a whole new cast of rejects for him to sort through soon as we wade through our free agent casualties. Look for more Cardinals to be picked from our cast-offs! :lol::hehheh: Wiesel boy:rofl: an best believe he will sign them, the problem is when they leave us there careers are average at best
:hehheh:

Dean Denton
02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Yea Whiz is, but we should be ok, he was just an position coach, i thought he would be promoted from within also after Lebeau retired, oh well maybe he will turn it down if Tomlin tells him that he's his next D-coordinator:thinking:Why do you get to be Sixburgh? Bastard....lol

steelerfan11
02-09-2009, 04:30 PM
This has been found to be false.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/ <<Lolley's blog.

spyboots
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
This has been found to be false.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/ <<Lolley's blog.

Good!

TampaSteelGirl
02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Heard on Sirius NFL radio that Butler is NOT leaving, he wants to stay with the Steelers...of course he does!! :yellowthumb:

spyboots
02-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Butler is NOT leaving.

http://ktar.com/sports/?sid=1040862&nid=23

Cards hired Davis, their LB coach.