PDA

View Full Version : Harrison and Steelers Talk about new contract

Stlrs4Life
02-06-2009, 09:53 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/around-the-web/

Around The Web
Harrison, Steelers talk about new contract

Posted: February 5th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers LB James Harrison made arguably the biggest play in Super Bowl XLIII to follow up winning the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award. Now comes the contract renegotiation.

Harrison has one year left on his current deal, but his agent, Bill Parise, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he already has held discussions with the team. Parise said hes hoping for $100 million for his client, though he said that with a laugh.

We have had discussions, not negotiated, but we have talked, Parise said. I think the Steelers and I are on the same page. We dont think there will be any issues. My goal and, I think, theirs is the same. We know what we need to do and well both go about the business of trying to get it done.

Parise believes a deal can be wrapped up fairly quickly.

Im not worried about the Steelers at all. Their history shows they do the right thing at the right

Callax
02-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Pitt will offer him another 4 year deal, figuring to get rid of him when he is 34, 35 years old and he will be done with football... I hate that he is already 30 yrs old and it took him this long to become great!!!!
But he has the longest play in SB history!!!!

BlitzburghNation
02-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Heard about this on sirius and waiting to hear a deal is finalized,,,,,which will be :yesnod:

Roadkill
02-06-2009, 11:45 PM
that guys motor wont quit he should be good to go a few more years bar injury

MDSteel15
02-07-2009, 01:47 AM
He'll get a 3 year extension with a nice little raise!

Prosdo
02-07-2009, 03:03 AM
This is definitely a huge priority. Hopefully they get him locked up pretty quickly.

tuggysteel822
02-07-2009, 03:14 AM
6 yr. 45 mil. Career.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-07-2009, 09:28 PM
He'll get a 3 year extension with a nice little raise!

And he should he really earned it, that play was the best in superbowl history hands down.barring injury he has 3-4 more good years in him:yesnod:

greennick
02-08-2009, 03:55 AM
6 yr. 45 mil. Career.

That is an awful lot of money to be spending on a linebacker!

steelersgal86
02-08-2009, 09:28 AM
This is definitely a huge priority. Hopefully they get him locked up pretty quickly.

:iagree:

MOTORKRAFT
02-08-2009, 10:07 AM
J.Harrison = J.Porter. A product of the system. J.Porter sucked his first year at Miami because he was in the wrong system, look at him this past year. I love Harrisons intensity but with his age, and the system the Steelers have, I would not over pay for him. Timmons could take his spot and make us all forget about him.

Captcoolhand
02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
J.Harrison = J.Porter. A product of the system. J.Porter sucked his first year at Miami because he was in the wrong system, look at him this past year. I love Harrisons intensity but with his age, and the system the Steelers have, I would not over pay for him. Timmons could take his spot and make us all forget about him.
:imho: I doubt seriously Timmons could make us forget....

MOTORKRAFT
02-08-2009, 10:26 AM
:imho: I doubt seriously Timmons could make us forget....
Oops, not forget. None of us will ever forget the longest play in Superbowl history. I should have said replace very successfully.

Captcoolhand
02-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Oops, not forget. None of us will ever forget the longest play in Superbowl history. I should have said replace very successfully.
Everyone speaks like Timmons is the next great thing but for me, that juror is still out. :stirpot:

Maybe once Foote leaves and He steps up, I will have a different Opinion of him. :dunno:

MOTORKRAFT
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Everyone speaks like Timmons is the next great thing but for me, that juror is still out. :stirpot:

Maybe once Foote leaves and He steps up, I will have a different Opinion of him. :dunno:
I was a Timmons hater as much as anyone. I know he plays in the middle. I am just saying that the position that Harrison plays is a product of the system and Timmons is too athletic to fail at any L.B. position.:cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Timmons can blitz and he can drop into coverage....He struggles at shedding blocks which leads to him to struggle in playing the run....Now in the open field he is a beast since he has great speed to track down the ball carrier.......I also think its time for Timmons to start and the only way he can improve in the run game is by playing.....

igor0190
02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Joey Porter is also doing it in Miami. How does that make him a product of the Steelers "system" when he was here? The players on the defense also give James Harrison credit for being almost impossible to block and just a great all around talent. I like to think they know what they're talking about.

I do see your point about players being a product of Lebeaus defensive system and the fact we have 11-13 REALLY good players on defense, but I think you went a little overboard on saying James can easily be replaced.

K Train
02-08-2009, 02:48 PM
james harrison is freakishly strong for a man that size, its really incredible. timmons could handle it but he wouldnt need to be held on every play. harrison deserves a raise, its not that its a top priority, its just the right thing to do. 2 years, 2 pro bowls, a superbowl ring, DPOY and the man plays on every special teams play, he doesnt take breaks. hes not a products, he is making our system what it is. him and woodley are far superior to porter and haggans

greennick
02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I think everyone believes he deserves more. How much more is the question. I say around 4-5m a year (probably for 3 years with a further 2/3 year option for us). 42m over 6 is way too much for me. Particularly if it is mostly guaranteed at his age.

JensK
02-09-2009, 10:29 AM
I hope we'll be able to work something out with him. We have to keep in mind though, that Woodley will need a restructure soon aswell, and he'll be expensive. He is more of a furture investment than Harrison.

igor0190
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Ben should restructure and lead by example to keep the team together.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Being about 20 million under the cap or so we should have no problem getting McFadden signed and giving some of next years free agents an extension to ease the potential crisis that would occur. James will get his money there's no doubt. He's a team player, doesn't rock the boat, does everything the coaches ask and then some, honestly there probably won't be much of an issue here once they get started on the talks.

Like Ktrain said, he's so strong but the main thing is that he's compact and he gets under these big, tall LT's and just drives them backwards or can run right by them. He's everything you want in a Steeler linebacker.

JensK
02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Being about 20 million under the cap or so we should have no problem getting McFadden signed and giving some of next years free agents an extension to ease the potential crisis that would occur. James will get his money there's no doubt. He's a team player, doesn't rock the boat, does everything the coaches ask and then some, honestly there probably won't be much of an issue here once they get started on the talks.

Like Ktrain said, he's so strong but the main thing is that he's compact and he gets under these big, tall LT's and just drives them backwards or can run right by them. He's everything you want in a Steeler linebacker.

Fast question: Being 20 million under the cap means that we have 20mil THIS year to sign FA's, rookies and UFA's right?

also: One thing i was wondering. If a guy gets 4 years with 20mil (example), it would be 5mil in this years cap right? (may be obvious but i thought id better get it straight)

Silverback 92
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Ben should restructure and lead by example to keep the team together.

Not gonna happen

Captcoolhand
02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
When you pit the reigning Super Bowl champions against the league's defensive MVP in contract negotiations, there are bound to be rough patches.

For the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, this is one of those times, as the sides remain far apart in negotiations, Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, told ESPN.com Wednesday.
"We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said. "I would say talks are progressing but not necessarily yielding the results that we would expect."

Barring something unforeseen, the Steelers are not expected to have a deal in place with Harrison before the start of free agency on Friday.

Length is not the primary issue. Both sides have discussed a deal in the range of five to six years. But the two sides are far apart monetarily and how it would be distributed over the length of the contract. The uncertainty with the collective bargaining agreement, with talks possibly starting this spring, also is something both sides have to work through.

Harrison, 30, is not due to become a free agent until 2010.

"I think the Steelers are trying to get a deal done, too," Parise said. "It's just right now we're not close."

Harrison, a two-time Pro Bowler, registered 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh last season. He also had the longest interception return in Super Bowl history of 100 yards in the win over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII. Like to see this get done soon.......

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
At this point Ben doesn't need to restructure his deal and most times when a player does restructure it goes un-noticed. Faneca used to restructure his deal almost every year to help out. Restructure doesn't mean you take less money or make a new contract, it means you change up the terms of the deal as far as when you get your money, to make the help the cap situation for that current year.

There is little doubt this deal with Harrison will get done, the team knows what he means to them and to that locker room. He's a Steeler linebacker in every sense of the word, he'll be here.

Dean Denton
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
At this point Ben doesn't need to restructure his deal and most times when a player does restructure it goes un-noticed. Faneca used to restructure his deal almost every year to help out. Restructure doesn't mean you take less money or make a new contract, it means you change up the terms of the deal as far as when you get your money, to make the help the cap situation for that current year.

There is little doubt this deal with Harrison will get done, the team knows what he means to them and to that locker room. He's a Steeler linebacker in every sense of the word, he'll be here.
Whats Harrison asking for?

Stairwayto7
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Harrison seems like a must! What if he did ask for too much! Then Timmons gets the outside job, instead of the inside!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2009, 10:46 PM
This deal will get done....Really no need to rush either.....

DIESELMAN
02-25-2009, 11:40 PM
The Steelers and James Harrison want the same thing, to have the NFL defensive player of the year sign a long-term contract. Negotiations have been cordial as the sides try to work out an extension beyond the 2009 season, the linebacker's last under contract.

But more than the usual impediments to getting a deal completed are present -- things such as the give-and-take of negotiations and salary-cap issues. The new concern is one in which every contract across the league must pass muster -- the fresh rules regarding the lack of a collective bargaining agreement beyond 2010.

Because the owners opted out of the CBA, 2010 will be an uncapped year and with it come new regulations. The main ones causing problems for the Steelers and other NFL teams limit contract salaries to increases of 30 percent each year from their base of 2009 and to lengths no longer than five years.

As an example, the $102 million contract Ben Roethlisberger signed last year would not work because it lasts six years and salaries range from $2 million to $14 million. It means that to get a player such as Harrison under contract, the Steelers must give him an extraordinarily large signing bonus or a cap-damaging high base salary this year.

"We're trying to work through some numbers; it's so difficult without this collective bargaining agreement because the rules are much, much, much different," said Bill Parise, Harrison's Pittsburgh agent. "We're trying to accomplish something here and we have a very restrictive environment to work in. ... We're not adversaries; we're trying to work to get this thing resolved."

But the new CBA rules crack back on creative contracts, too. For example, well-crafted incentives for 2009 that might be achieved and pushed into 2010 now go immediately against the team's salary cap if they are reached, which could cause big problems for teams operating close to their cap.

The main problem, though, is the 30 percent rule. For example, if a player earns $1 million in 2009 in a new four-year contract, his salaries for the following years cannot exceed $1.3 million, $1.6 million and $1.9 million. A higher signing bonus can avoid that, but it, too, can be prorated for only five years -- a $10 million five-year contract, for example, would count $2 million a year against the cap.

"It's very hard," Parise said. "We're trying to do stuff and working hard at it. We're going to get it done but have to be really smart guys."

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Good article on the new regulations of dealing with an uncapped 2010. The FO of almost any NFL team has their work cutout for them.....

Doing a contract now that 2009 will be the last capped year, isn't as easy as it used to be. There are new rules that prevent a lot of fancy contract work to back load a contract. Its going to take longer to redo any contract now that 2010 will be uncapped.

Stairwayto7
02-26-2009, 06:42 AM
He deserves to be paid, yet he is already getting old! Length of contract is crucial. What could you get in trade? Wow! And place Timmons on the outside!

Captcoolhand
02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
:imho: I wouldn't care if they waited til next season to give him a contract.

Seems guys who get these large contracts early normally (but not always) don't live up to the hype they preformed the season before.