PDA

View Full Version : What about Arians??

lloydfan4life
02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
No way the Steelers are going to get rid of Arians after winning the Super Bowl. :duh:
Any thoughts on this?
Are we going to have to suffer through another season of sub-par offensive game plans while our defense plays their asses off to keep us in games? :evilshake:

K Train
02-05-2009, 02:31 PM
arians has grown as a coach and a play caller....quit hating it gets old

lloydfan4life
02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
So you're content with our offensive play calling?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Arians will stay put whether we like it or not. Has he gotten better this year, yes..is he a great play caller..NO! His gameplan for the super bowl was excellent you have to give him credit for that.

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I for one think his play calling is the reason that SB was as close as it was. I watched the game again last night and we marched down the field how many times, got in the red zone and did NOT score a TD? We even had help with all those Cardinal fouls on one drive, had like six shots inside the 5, and came away with three points. I think he will be gone, and I cant say I'm sorry for this. That game should have been over in the 3rd quarter, and it came down to the 2 minute warning. Same on you Arians.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Those problems in the redzone, you can't put that on Arians...that was the offense not executing. The scramble by Ben where he got stopped at the 5 and the one where he got stopped on the goal line were just us not getting the job done and the Cards defense playing inspired football.

It's the same thing that has plagued this team all year. Granted earlier the play calling stunk to high heaven but as the season progressed he started to get better at it and the offense started playing better. By the time we hit the post season they were playing as well as they have all year.

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Those problems in the redzone, you can't put that on Arians...that was the offense not executing. The scramble by Ben where he got stopped at the 5 and the one where he got stopped on the goal line were just us not getting the job done and the Cards defense playing inspired football.

It's the same thing that has plagued this team all year. Granted earlier the play calling stunk to high heaven but as the season progressed he started to get better at it and the offense started playing better. By the time we hit the post season they were playing as well as they have all year. I still didn't like the plays. I understand they have to execute what he calls in, but he needs to be able to read the Defense better then what he does an call a play or plays to counter it. He fails to do so in the red zone. He has been failing in this area for two years now. He should know what this team can and cant do well, and call plays based on our strengths, not what he thinks will work...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
He's not perfect, not by any stretch...he drives me nuts at times especially through the midway point. He showed us though that he's got the stuff to be a decent OC by what he brought to the super bowl. He went with a quick strike offense that got Ben involved earlier instead of the same old same old that we saw earlier on. The last 2 years our OL has been highly suspect and that causes all kinds of probs. in the red zone as well as anywhere else.

OL is top priority this offseason as is a kick returner..if they can figure that out Im willing to continue to see what he's got and Im sure Tomlin is too so we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
He's not perfect, not by any stretch...he drives me nuts at times especially through the midway point. He showed us though that he's got the stuff to be a decent OC by what he brought to the super bowl. He went with a quick strike offense that got Ben involved earlier instead of the same old same old that we saw earlier on. The last 2 years our OL has been highly suspect and that causes all kinds of probs. in the red zone as well as anywhere else.

OL is top priority this offseason as is a kick returner..if they can figure that out Im willing to continue to see what he's got and Im sure Tomlin is too so we'll have to wait and see I guess. Thats what I mean by calling plays to our strengths, not what he thinks should work. To me he seems to think checkers when he should be thinking chess. but...we did win it all with him calling the shots. I just think we won in spite of him more then because of him.

So do you think we go kick returner or Center with that first pick?

TEEMONT
02-05-2009, 06:24 PM
arians has grown as a coach and a play caller....quit hating it gets old

Agreed, the man just won a SB ring. Let's give him an O-line and see what he can do with a running game.

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 06:35 PM
What the hell is all this praise of Arians. I cant think of one person on this forum that didn't want him fired, burned alive and fed to the wolves. Now I could be wrong about everyone saying fire the bastard, but I know it was more negative feed back on him then positive. I know we just won it all, but like I said on the other thread, it was more in spite of him then because of him. Yes, a better OL will make a difference, but so to does a FB when you talk about running the ball. His play calling is suspect at best. Ben is more the reason then Arians for this teams success. I still say fire the bastard.

K Train
02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
no no ive been relatively easy on him, i think hes done a decent job and what people dont get it that coached grow into their professions just like players grow into their position. he has learned from his mistakes and he might not have led us to the superbowl, but damnit he didnt stop us either.

Stairwayto7
02-05-2009, 07:04 PM

It's the same thing that has plagued this team all year. Granted earlier the play calling stunk to high heaven but as the season progressed he started to get better at it and the offense started playing better. By the time we hit the post season they were playing as well as they have all year.

TG, What about the QB draw by Ben on 3rd and Goal? That was a horrible call. Or the fact that we were given six cracks at a TD, and we ran almost every play. And settle for 3. I blame him for taking the ball out of Bens hands on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and goal. If we had more than 37 seconds to play, he might have ran there, and settle for a tie. Ben is more capable than arians gives him credit on the goal line. How about the 3rd and goal, and he calls a pass to Russel underneath?? Take a crack at somebody in the end zone.

Here is my problem. I hate Bruce, but don`t want to go through another " learning the system year"!!! I want to know who called the last two pass plays. Ben said that he called most of the plays the final drive, except for a couple.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Pointless thread and really no need for it......Not many teams fire coaches after winning a Super Bowl....I'm not a Bruce Arians fan at all.....I really didn't like the hire of him....I warmed up to him when revamped the playbook and was willing to give Ben more control of the offense....But I'm still not a fan but he isn't going to be fired and shouldn't be.....I'm an agreement with Teemont, if the OL is improved then Arians could operate better as an OC....Plus Ben does change the plays at times so its wrong to put 100 percent of the blame on Bruce Arians for the play calling....

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I'll be a fan when he brings back a FB, and we start ruinning the ball like a real team. Until then it will be more of the same, but next year patience will run out from the players and it will a nightmare. We caught a bit of luck this year. Doubt lightning is going to strike twice with this guy. Ben plays best off play action. We cant run without a FB. This crap will be easy to crush next year....I see this coming.....Pull this thread one year from now if we keep this bastard and I wont say a word about what I saw coming....

TEEMONT
02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Pull this thread one year from now if we keep this bastard and I wont say a word about what I saw coming....

lol...saw what coming? 96 hours after they win a SB and your predicting doom for next year already?

jesus ****in a...some people are never ****ing happy.

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 08:09 PM
lol...saw what coming? 96 hours after they win a SB and your predicting doom for next year already?

jesus ****in a...some people are never ****ing happy.Because Arians is too predictable. A half *** DC will bust this up next year with all this time to study. We need a FB. Thats all i'm saying. Keep the guy if you think what we did this year will improve with better OL play. I say no way. More of the same, and patience will boil over. The QB is going to get pissed all over like he did in the Monday night game against the Ravens. And we all remember that shiat. Not pretty. We can do better.

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
If most of you now say keep Arians because you think he will get it done, and do better next year.....

What was the Identity of the Offense????????????? I say we never had one. Not in the playoff or anyother time this year. Unless you call Ben just doing it with great skill. We need an Identity, and Arians will not provide us with one that is worthy. We got lucky in the placement of the playoffs IMO. But I still think it was Ben not Bruce that won us that Championship. Please tell me what the Identity of the Offense was. And if you say Band of Brothers I'll puke all over myself....

TEEMONT
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Because Arians is too predictable. A half *** DC will bust this up next year with all this time to study. We need a FB. Thats all i'm saying. Keep the guy if you think what we did this year will improve with better OL play. I say no way. More of the same, and patience will boil over. The QB is going to get pissed all over like he did in the Monday night game against the Ravens. And we all remember that shiat. Not pretty. We can do better.

a half assed DC? You mean like Rex Ryan? Last I checked, the Steelers beat the Ravens 3 times this year....sure mostly due to great D.

Like I said....96 hours ago they won a SB...bask in it for a little bit before the sky starts to fall....again. I know your a drama queen, but ****.

K Train
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Because Arians is too predictable. A half *** DC will bust this up next year with all this time to study. We need a FB. Thats all i'm saying. Keep the guy if you think what we did this year will improve with better OL play. I say no way. More of the same, and patience will boil over. The QB is going to get pissed all over like he did in the Monday night game against the Ravens. And we all remember that shiat. Not pretty. We can do better.

we use a fullback, sometimes, just like most teams. you are ridiculous, you dont need to surprise a team to line up and beat them. look at the colts all those years. marvin lines up on the right, wayne on the left....EVERY PLAY...nothing tricky or surprising about it. arians did fine this year and all this bitching about him is retarded, your sounding like warren sapp

K Train
02-05-2009, 08:23 PM
get over it already, no one said he was "the answer" most people dont like him.

please just hand your resume to tomlin so we can establish this long lost idenity

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Bruce made the game plan, not Ben. Bruce decided to open things up right from the get go and put the Cards defense on their heels. Im sure Ben had input but stop laying it all on Arians and put as much of the blame for offensive woes this year on the unit themselves too.

I will agree that our O did not have an identity this year mainly because we were too inconsistent to come up with one. If the consistency returns and the offense executes we'll have one.

Stlrs4Life
02-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Arians will stay put whether we like it or not. Has he gotten better this year, yes..is he a great play caller..NO! His gameplan for the super bowl was excellent you have to give him credit for that.

Well, his game plan was pretty good, but still some of his play calling was subject. All play call within the 5 yd line or closer were garbage. 6 tries to get in the End zone, and we failed miserably. QB draw from the 5?

Stairwayto7
02-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I`ve said all year! Fire Him!

Now we won the SuperBowl, so I`ve changed somewhat. I don`t want Ben to go through a new offensive scheme, so if Ben wants him, then I guess we should keep him.

I still don`t like him. And the part about the offensive line, if we knew the line was no good, and he knew the line was no good, then he should have changed more. When a team blitzes the way Philly did, go no huddle more. On the goal line, throw in some wrs so that it keeps the defense guessing.

It is harder to bitch when you win

Stlrs4Life
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Thats what I mean by calling plays to our strengths, not what he thinks should work. To me he seems to think checkers when he should be thinking chess. but...we did win it all with him calling the shots. I just think we won in spite of him more then because of him.

So do you think we go kick returner or Center with that first pick?

Center if I had to choose between those choices.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I just find it funny its all Arians fault...lol The execution was **** poor at times this year as well....I don't like Bruce Arians overall but it would down right stupid to fire a coach after a Super Bowl win....No team fires anybody after a Super Bowl win....I don't really want to change anything the more I think about it......I think there is very good chance that BA can improve and grow with the same group of players for the most over the next few years......Ben likes Bruce and the team has won with him as OC.....Two division titles and a Super Bowl title......

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
If most of you now say keep Arians because you think he will get it done, and do better next year.....

What was the Identity of the Offense????????????? Please tell me what the Identity of the Offense was. And if you say Band of Brothers I'll puke all over myself....

Um...Band of Brothers! :grin1:, for real tho i don't think this offense ever got a chance to establish it's identity..i think the original game-plan was to have a balanced attack with FWP and Mendy poundin the rock and Mo gettin his 3rd down touches..with Mendy out for the year and the way the Oline struggled early..that game-plan vanished.The O-line started to get a little bit better but the run game never really started clicking.I'm not a fan of BA either but let's see what he does with a line that's much improved,hopefully upgraded also, a healthy Mendenhall and Parker and 2 time Superbowl Champ QB at the helm.Also getting D-Sep back next year is gonna be huge..that punting game was horendous to watch.

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Give Arians a good offensive line to protect Ben and blow open running lanes and he might surprise us all. I don't think there are many OC's who could have done much better with what he was given to work with. Meanwhile LeBeau benefitted from some pretty good defensive picks a couple years back....Woodley, Timmons.

You could put this years pro-bowl players behind our current O-line and they would struggle too! That is why this draft needs to be all about the O-line! Upgrade that and we will contend for another title. :yesnod:

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah I get that losing Mendy might...have hurt, but the guy was hurting us more then helping anyways with those butter fingers. You cant put all that much stock into a rookie. I would hope that was not the plan going in. For two years now we have watched the same head scratching play calling and ever week we all say the same thing. WHY???? Not sure if you should really fire a coach after he helps you win a SB, but this is a big money business, and you need to always put your best foot forward. And I know there are much better OC out there that we could land right now.

And lets be honest here....It was our Defense, not the Offense that really got us to this championship. We are so lucky we didn't lose out because of this Offense. I am willing to bet we had the most sacked QB of any winning SB team in the history of the game. More plays for Negitive yards then any winning SB team. And not to mention just the luckiest team because of how sad we looked most of the year on Offense. But hey...we won the superbowl. I would just like to see some consistency with the Offense.

SteelCityKid5
02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Maybe it's time Larry Zierlein leaves. I don't know. Yeah Arians play calling is bad at times but, him and Ben have a good friendship going and I dont think Mike T. is going to break that up. I say draft better lineman and get a good free agent. Just one ... two is being greedy because we know the Stees don't really look into free agency.

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Maybe it's time Larry Zierlein leaves. I don't know. Yeah Arians play calling is bad at times but, him and Ben have a good friendship going and I dont think Mike T. is going to break that up. I say draft better lineman and get a good free agent. Just one ... two is being greedy because we know the Stees don't really look into free agency. I would really like to know what Ben thinks of BA. I know if its negative we wont hear about it while BA is there, but I am curious. Firing Zielein might not be a bad idea, but I'm not sure if thats the answer to this teams wo's. The entire Offense seemed out of sync. Nothing really seemed to work until we ran a no huddle at the 2 minute warning. Again Ben add libbing on the field. I wish the fix was as easy as drafting/Free agents a couple new faces for the OL, but I think its going to be much harder then that. They still have to learn to play as one.

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
And lets be honest here....It was our Defense, not the Offense that really got us to this championship. We are so lucky we didn't lose out because of this Offense. I am willing to bet we had the most sacked QB of any winning SB team in the history of the game. More plays for Negitive yards then any winning SB team. And not to mention just the luckiest team because of how sad we looked most of the year on Offense. But hey...we won the superbowl. I would just like to see some consistency with the Offense.

You are amazing! Keep the losers we have on an underperforming O-line, but fire their coach? You are talking out of your *** again!

Like I said. They need to work out more, get stronger, and learn to become 1. 5 guys need to play as 1 unit. They can do it. The only changes that will be made this off season will be depth. Plus a couple of the guys that were hurt should return.

Which is it? Suffer through another season with an abysmal offensive line? Or draft some horses who can win those battles in the trenches? Did you read the percentage of this years pro-bowl O-lineman who were drafted in the first 2 rounds in that other thread?

76%

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
You are amazing! Keep the losers we have on an underperforming O-line, but fire their coach? You are talking out of your *** again!

Which is it? Suffer through another season with an abysmal offensive line? Or draft some horses who can win those battles in the trenches? Did you read the percentage of this years pro-bowl O-lineman who were drafted in the first 2 rounds in that other thread?

76%I wouldn't go as far as say keep all the losers, but when did we start going down the toilet up front? I think its when Hartings retired. We were solid during Bens first two seasons. Then after that we went in the crapper. However the last two season have by far been the worst. So I dont know if its crappy players or crappy coaching. We really weren't any better with Faneca, so getting a probowler isn't going to change things. If I had to point a finger based on what I have seen, then I would blame the coaches over the players. The last two years have been the worst in over 40 years for sacks and yards per rush. We are talking about Pro players that have made it into the NFL. These are pretty much the same players that all the other teams get. Some better then others, but they all get selected from the same pool. I doubt the Steelers managed to get the worst 8 players out there. Coaches and players both need to be held accountable, and for me I really think its more the former then the latter.

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
We went from 3-1st rounders, 1-2nd rounder, and 1-3rd rounder in 05

to

3-6th rounders, 1-undrafted free agent, and 1 3rd rounder

In most people books this would be considered a HUGE downgrade in talent.

Average draft position of the '05' O-line was 38th overall.

Average draft position of this years O-line is 170th overall.

Can you see the difference?

If you broke down our defense in the same way you will find that our defense is full of 1st and 2nd round draft picks. I have no problem with that, that is why they are so good! But we have neglected the O-line while we were building that awesome D! It is now time to upgrade across the O-line if we are going to continue to compete for championships. :yesnod:

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 03:50 PM
We went from 3-1st rounders, 1-2nd rounder, and 1-3rd rounder in 05

to

3-6th rounders, 1-undrafted free agent, and 1 3rd rounder

In most people books this would be considered a HUGE downgrade in talent.

Average draft position of the '05' O-line was 38th overall.

Average draft position of this years O-line is 170th overall.

Can you see the difference?

If you broke down our defense in the same way you will find that our defense is full of 1st and 2nd round draft picks. I have no problem with that, that is why they are so good! But we have neglected the O-line while we were building that awesome D! It is now time to upgrade across the O-line if we are going to continue to compete for championships. :yesnod: Ok, but how many 1st round OL draft picks are total bust? More then any other position. Getting a 1st round OL man is a lot deferent then getting a DB or LB. And 1 32nd round pick is not going to bring this team into greatness if for one, we dont have the coaching staff to teach him how to pass and run block. He better be a stud Lineman if we take him first over all. I think free agents would serve this team better then drafting for the OL. You want experience, not potential. Drop 25 million on a guy based on potential and hope he can play, or spend about the same on 2 or 3 guys that you know can play well enough to make the team better. You like throwing out numbers, do the math on that...

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Ok, but how many 1st round OL draft picks are total bust? More then any other position. Getting a 1st round OL man is a lot deferent then getting a DB or LB. And 1 32nd round pick is not going to bring this team into greatness if for one, we dont have the coaching staff to teach him how to pass and run block. He better be a stud Lineman if we take him first over all. I think free agents would serve this team better then drafting for the OL. You want experience, not potential. Drop 25 million on a guy based on potential and hope he can play, or spend about the same on 2 or 3 guys that you know can play well enough to make the team better. You like throwing out numbers, do the math on that...

Your arguments are very weak. Great free agent lineman who have already proven their worth will cost you twice or three times the amount you would pay a draft pick. Jordan Gross is the starting left tackle from the Carolina Panthers (he was also a first round pick, 8th overall in the 03 draft). Well he is the starting LT for the NFC in the pro-bowl this year and it just so happens he is also a free agent this year. We could easily pay our entire draft class with less money than it would take to steal this guy away from the Panthers. You keep falling back on this weak notion that sometimes 1st round picks are a bust. How often do you think that 5th and 6th rounders don't even make the team? Please show me the 2 or 3 free agents that we could pay about the same as 3 rookies! You make statements that are completely ignorant and indefensible. I will be waiting for your number crunching there Einstein. Can't wait to see your magic math skills! :hilarious:

- Pick your three free agents
- Find out how much $$ they made this year
- Increase those numbers. Free agents don't switch teams to play for less.
- Next go grab the numbers from what we paid our top 3 rookies.
- Post your findings here if you've got the stones to publicly show how ludicrous your argument was.

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Your arguments are very weak. Great free agent lineman who have already proven their worth will cost you twice or three times the amount you would pay a draft pick. Jordan Gross is the starting left tackle from the Carolina Panthers (he was also a first round pick, 8th overall in the 03 draft). Well he is the starting LT for the NFC in the pro-bowl this year and it just so happens he is also a free agent this year. We could easily pay our entire draft class with less money than it would take to steal this guy away from the Panthers. You keep falling back on this weak notion that sometimes 1st round picks are a bust. How often do you think that 5th and 6th rounders don't even make the team? Please show me the 2 or 3 free agents that we could pay about the same as 3 rookies! You make statements that are completely ignorant and indefensible. I will be waiting for your number crunching there Einstein. Can't wait to see your magic math skills! :hilarious:

- Pick your three free agents
- Find out how much $$ they made this year
- Increase those numbers. Free agents don't switch teams to play for less.
- Next go grab the numbers from what we paid our top 3 rookies.
- Post your findings here if you've got the stones to publicly show how ludicrous your argument was. I dont know who is on the market. but what I do know is you are picking players for me. I never gave names of who I thought we should get. My argument is not weak because your not seeing my point......I said this team would be better served in paying players with experience not potential like you are suggesting. I said a draft pick is not going to change this team around, and not to mention a first round pick is always going to cost a butt load of money. I never said take a pro bowl free agent. I just said free agents with experience. It will take much longer to groom a over paid rookie then it would to plug in players that understand the pro level. OL man are the hardest to draft because over the years they have alwaya been the biggest bust. It doesn't matter if its 1st round or 6th round. Thats always been the biggest crap shoot. This is common knowledge for anyone that has watched the NFL. I'm sorry I have no numbers to crunch for you. Besides that fact that I suck at math. If you want, you can look up all first round draft picks for OL over the years and you will see how they bust when compaired to the other rounds.

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I dont know who is on the market. but what I do know is you are picking players for me. I never gave names of who I thought we should get. My argument is not weak because your not seeing my point......I said this team would be better served in paying players with experience not potential like you are suggesting. I said a draft pick is not going to change this team around, and not to mention a first round pick is always going to cost a butt load of money. I never said take a pro bowl free agent. I just said free agents with experience. It will take much longer to groom a over paid rookie then it would to plug in players that understand the pro level. OL man are the hardest to draft because over the years they have alwaya been the biggest bust. It doesn't matter if its 1st round or 6th round. Thats always been the biggest crap shoot. This is common knowledge for anyone that has watched the NFL. I'm sorry I have no numbers to crunch for you. Besides that fact that I suck at math. If you want, you can look up all first round draft picks for OL over the years and you will see how they bust when compaired to the other rounds.

You make ludicrous statements and then back away from defending them with anything remotely resembling a fact. Jack Lambert was a rookie when he helped take the Steelers to their first SB. Oh yeah, but your latest dim witted argument is that rookies cannot make an impact. Joe Thomas, LT for Cleveland is in Hawaii to play in his 2nd pro-bowl in his first 2 seasons. Jake Long LT (rookie) will be there as his back-up. Offensive lineman are one of the safest picks in the draft and anyone above the age of 5 who watches football knows this. How old are you? Did you know that 7 OT's were drafted before we picked last season? How many of those tackles were busts? Let me tell you how many of them started for their respective teams.....ALL 7. You just throw out bulls**t statements without any facts or research to back up what you say. Is the bus you ride to school on full sized or is it a short bus? :willybs:

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Again theres is a big difference between LB and OL. Not to mention the best inside LB of all time. How did the Browns do this year behind Thomas???? Not sure where you get OL are the safest pick when they have always been the hardest to groom. Granted, players coming out of college are getting better then what has been the case in years past. but this is for all players. Fine 7 players started, but so to did most of the players in the first round. and the Rookie QB behind experienced OL did better overall. Think you could take 5 rookies and get the same results with Flacco and Ryan? I think not. This last draft class was one of the best for OL, but it is not always that way. Not even close. Your crazy if you think a rookie would change the Steelers around better then say 2 or 3 sold free agents.

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Again theres is a big difference between LB and OL. Not to mention the best inside LB of all time. How did the Browns do this year behind Thomas???? Not sure where you get OL are the safest pick when they have always been the hardest to groom. Granted, players coming out of college are getting better then what has been the case in years past. but this is for all players. Fine 7 players started, but so to did most of the players in the first round. and the Rookie QB behind experienced OL did better overall. Think you could take 5 rookies and get the same results with Flacco and Ryan? I think not. This last draft class was one of the best for OL, but it is not always that way. Not even close. Your crazy if you think a rookie would change the Steelers around better then say 2 or 3 sold free agents.

Once again a lot of words with nothing to prove your point. So your solution is to replace the scrubs we have with other teams scrubs. You have already stated we can't afford the top free agent talent. So to you the scrubs on the other side of the fence look greener than the scrubs we currently employ. The Ravens starting line consists of 2 second year players, 1 third year player, 1 fourth year player, and 1 dinosaur with 13 years. That doesn't sound like a very experienced line protecting Joe Flacco! Ryans O-line is even less experienced: 1 rookie, 2 second year players, 1 third year player, and 1 dinosaur at 10 years. Once again your own examples prove that you have no clue what you are talking about! Those are extremely YOUNG O-lines. But in my defense those young players are for the most part high draft picks which proves my point, not yours. :nono:

BlitzburghNation
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Had to bring out the big popcorn for this one,,,,,,,:popcorn2:

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Its not much of an argument when only one side backs up statements with facts. :lol:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-06-2009, 06:31 PM
:popcorn: Hey where did ya get that big popcorn?..I'm rockin this little bag

BlitzburghNation
02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Here'ya go :popcorn2: Here's you some :beer3: to go with it :lol:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Sweet...now let's sit back and watch the...:girlfight:

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 06:42 PM
:popcorn: Hey where did ya get that big popcorn?..I'm rockin this little bag

I got some sauce for your popcorn.........:whatever:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I see your an expert in the art of self-love. Nice.

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 06:57 PM
I see your an expert in the art of self-love. Nice.

Just trying to feed a hungry fan :yellowthumb:

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Once again a lot of words with nothing to prove your point. So your solution is to replace the scrubs we have with other teams scrubs. You have already stated we can't afford the top free agent talent. So to you the scrubs on the other side of the fence look greener than the scrubs we currently employ. The Ravens starting line consists of 2 second year players, 1 third year player, 1 fourth year player, and 1 dinosaur with 13 years. That doesn't sound like a very experienced line protecting Joe Flacco! Ryans O-line is even less experienced: 1 rookie, 2 second year players, 1 third year player, and 1 dinosaur at 10 years. Once again your own examples prove that you have no clue what you are talking about! Those are extremely YOUNG O-lines. But in my defense those young players are for the most part high draft picks which proves my point, not yours. :nono:Your an idiot. Those aren't rookies making up the OL on those two team. There is a differnece between young and a rookie. Not to mention the dinsours your talking about. I said a rookie OL.

you wanted numbers, here....Steelers 1st round draft picks for the OL
Kendall simmons...Bust
Jamain Stephens...Bust
Leon Searcy....Bust
Hell man I'll even give you Tom Ricketts....Bust. We always bust when drafting and OL players 1st round. In your face bitch....hahahahaha

I couldn't find one first round OL on the Giants and they seem to play well. How many sacks for Eli? How many rushing yards. Same with the Titans. You dont have to get your pick out of the first round. Steelers never do well. But we should because you said thats the way to go...lol good for you....hahahaha

. It takes experience.
Flozel Adams 2nd round
Matt Light 2nd round
Kevin Mawae 2nd round
Jeff Saturday Undrafted bitch, eat that.
Larry Allen 2nd round. I am not going through then entire league for you. but I think that should do it. KO bitch...lol Unless you want to show me some Steeler history other then Faneca who left anyways, that makes you think we will land a money player....Yeah!!!!!

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-06-2009, 07:02 PM
wow..king of the one-liners...careful you don't shoot that baby toy in your eye.:eek:

Getting back to Arians..i think he bought himself a get out of jail free card with the Superbowl win..so let's see what changes they make and how he handles the Offense next year..If he uses some of that ability he had schemed up for the Superbowl there may be hope for him yet.

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Did I leave out that the best center we have had sinse Dawson was Hartings. A player we got through free agency...yeah, kick to the head...lol

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Your an idiot. Those aren't rookies making up the OL on those two team. There is a differnece between young and a rookie. Not to mention the dinsours your talking about. I said a rookie OL.

I couldn't find one first round OL on the Giants and they seem to play well. How many sacks for Eli? How many rushing yards. Same with the Titans. You dont have to get your pick out of the first round. Steelers never do well. But we should because you said thats the way to go...lol good for you....hahahaha

. It takes experience.
Flozel Adams 2nd round
Matt Light 2nd round
Kevin Mawae 2nd round
Jeff Saturday Undrafted bitch, eat that.
Larry Allen 2nd round. I am not going through then entire league for you. but I think that should do it. KO bitch...lol Unless you want to show me some Steeler history other then Faneca who left anyways, that makes you think we will land a money player....Yeah!!!!!

So you find more facts that prove that I'm right. Which part of the 76% of all the pro-bowl lineman were 1st and 2nd round picks didn't you understand? Secondly, all those second year players on the Falcons and Ravens teams were rookies last year and they played then too. I could make a very long list of hall of famers who were all high draft picks. Your argument is still weak. I guess we should just stop drafting lineman then since according to you we aren't very good at it. Apparently you believe letting all the other teams take the cream of the crop and digging through whats left over is the better way to go. Who is the moron? :lol:

Dean Denton
02-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I never said not to take a OL man in the 2nd round. and the Ravens and Falcons didn't throw Rookie QB behind an all rookie line. I said we would be better served getting free agents. this of course are based on the facts I provided you. You mention nothing of the Giants and The Titans who by the way were to two best OL this year using experienced players, not 1st round rookies. You have been trying to sell me on 1st rounders, and I say hell no. What a waste given our history. You have been left wanting, Sorry. There is no stat you can dig up no % of anyything that would make me think we can do better just drafting a rookie, then getting experienced players. What player did you have in mind in the first place? What three players are going to be on the table for us that will turn this team around? Please tell me. I am enjoying this now, we have a crowd....lol

--- Added 2/6/2009 at 05:53 PM ---

TKO...lol

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I never said not to take a OL man in the 2nd round. and the Ravens and Falcons didn't throw Rookie QB behind an all rookie line. I said we would be better served getting free agents. this of course are based on the facts I provided you. You mention nothing of the Giants and The Titans who by the way were to two best OL this year using experienced players, not 1st round rookies. You have been trying to sell me on 1st rounders, and I say hell no. What a waste given our history. You have been left wanting, Sorry. There is no stat you can dig up no % of anyything that would make me think we can do better just drafting a rookie, then getting experienced players. What player did you have in mind in the first place? What three players are going to be on the table for us that will turn this team around? Please tell me. I am enjoying this now, we have a crowd....lol

TKO...lol

Just another bit of history. Nearly half of the 34 offensive lineman in the pro football hall of fame were.......you guessed it, 1st round draft picks.

We are beating a dead horse now. You can draft lineman that can start and play well in their first year. And unlike the deadbeats we have who have some experience but lack the natural talent to be great, first day draft picks are being drafted for their raw talent and their potential after they gain some experience. It doesn't take an entire season for a talented player to start performing well. You can't drag in all those Bill Cowher misses in the draft because he is long gone. I would have to say Mike Tomlins draft picks have done pretty well for us so far. O-line is our weakness and isn't fixing your weaknesses what the draft is for? Even if we had three rookies in next years starting line-up they couldn't play any worse than this years bunch did.

Real Deal Steel
02-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Unfortunately, Arians is here to stay. But we could use an upgrade.

Stairwayto7
02-08-2009, 07:16 AM

TKO...lol

DD! I agree! You know Ben will be 27, its a waste of talent, if he continues to be the most sacked QB in the league. Sure he holds on a little long, although he has been known to make things happen, but with a swiss cheese line, he has to be a little nervous, especially if its a play designed to go deep, where he has to hang on. Now the Steelers have never been known to go out and spend big $$$ in free agency. But if you want to protect your franchise, you might want to start now.

MOTORKRAFT
02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Good thread, good read. What about Ariens? He has a Superbowl ring, so all the haters need to :hot tub:, myself included. I am so happy I grew up a Steeler fan.:steelersflag5:

Dean Denton
02-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Just another bit of history. Nearly half of the 34 offensive lineman in the pro football hall of fame were.......you guessed it, 1st round draft picks.

We are beating a dead horse now. You can draft lineman that can start and play well in their first year. And unlike the deadbeats we have who have some experience but lack the natural talent to be great, first day draft picks are being drafted for their raw talent and their potential after they gain some experience. It doesn't take an entire season for a talented player to start performing well. You can't drag in all those Bill Cowher misses in the draft because he is long gone. I would have to say Mike Tomlins draft picks have done pretty well for us so far. O-line is our weakness and isn't fixing your weaknesses what the draft is for? Even if we had three rookies in next years starting line-up they couldn't play any worse than this years bunch did. I agree Cowher and his draft picks are gone, and we should not hold Tomlin under the same wire. However Faneca is the only good player we have ever taken in the first round that was any good for OL. Now again I ask you. What players can we take that will help this OL? There is no way you can just take any three Rookies and think they will do better then what we have. What stat are you willing to show that can make that theory hold water? Tell me who we can get in the draft that is going to play better then these goof balls we have? Because I have to tell ya, no way in hell do we get three or more OL in the draft that would make us play better up front. When in the history of the league has anything like that happened?

JensK
02-09-2009, 01:11 PM
The war-room is that way :P

No really. Arians sucked all season long but called a pretty good play-off and did really good in SB. I really dislike him and his play-calling, but im ready to cut him some slack another season or two. After all he worked under the worst damn line in NFL, and its hard to make plays when your QB/RB is slammed to the grass.

Dean Denton
02-09-2009, 01:39 PM
The war-room is that way :P

No really. Arians sucked all season long but called a pretty good play-off and did really good in SB. I really dislike him and his play-calling, but im ready to cut him some slack another season or two. After all he worked under the worst damn line in NFL, and its hard to make plays when your QB/RB is slammed to the grass.
I know. I feel like a spoiled little bitch complaining about an OC that just help us win a SB. But I wonder what would have been if it were say Lefty behind center, and could we have done the same thing with Arians game plans. could he have changed it to fit Lefty? I dont think so. And thats where my issue with him comes in. I think it was more about Ben winning with what he had, not so much Arians being any good. We have MR. 4th quarter behind center, and I doubt any other QB could have pulled off what Ben did, so I still question keeping this OC. I know, I'm a spoiled brat, but I think we can do better. And hey, if he's so good then he should not have any issue getting work somewhere else. He will be fine.

JensK
02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I know. I feel like a spoiled little bitch complaining about an OC that just help us win a SB. But I wonder what would have been if it were say Lefty behind center, and could we have done the same thing with Arians game plans. could he have changed it to fit Lefty? I dont think so. And thats where my issue with him comes in. I think it was more about Ben winning with what he had, not so much Arians being any good. We have MR. 4th quarter behind center, and I doubt any other QB could have pulled off what Ben did, so I still question keeping this OC. I know, I'm a spoiled brat, but I think we can do better. And hey, if he's so good then he should not have any issue getting work somewhere else. He will be fine.

i hear ya! :) Its not like i like him or anything, but as long as we keep winning stuff, im ready to cut him at least some slack. Ultimately it comes down to Tomlin and the Rooneys. They have invested quite a few penny on their QB. If they feel like they are protecting him right now (:evilshake:) then thats what the believe. I don't think that they do though, so they'll have to go one step at the time. Get a new line and see how it goes. If that turns out bad, get rid of Arians. You can't change both positions imo. What offences really need is reps. And a brand new line will need the rest of the guys to know a system they can fit into. No reason to build a brand new offense :2cents:

portcityblackandgold
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
At best even with the victory in the Super Bowl, Arians play calling is suspect. To his credit, his script in each of the playoff games and the Super Bowl attacked the weakness of each team's defense and it kept opposing defenses guessing. That is the job of the OC and Arians did just that. Congratulations to Mr. Arians for a job well done.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Let's remember this too, as bad as our ST were last year you couldn't blame any coach for firing his ST assistants but Tomlin stuck with them and now we had one of the better coverage units in the league. Having said that and the fact that we won the super bowl I honestly don't see Arians going anywhere next year. Like or not we're stuck with him.

Steelersfan
02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Let's remember this too, as bad as our ST were last year you couldn't blame any coach for firing his ST assistants but Tomlin stuck with them and now we had one of the better coverage units in the league. Having said that and the fact that we won the super bowl I honestly don't see Arians going anywhere next year. Like or not we're stuck with him.

I say we keep Berger!.....:greengrin: If it wasn't for all those 30yd punts our coverage team wouldn't have been as good.......lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Don't tempt fate man, you never know what might happen to us :lol:

Dean Denton
02-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Let's remember this too, as bad as our ST were last year you couldn't blame any coach for firing his ST assistants but Tomlin stuck with them and now we had one of the better coverage units in the league. Having said that and the fact that we won the super bowl I honestly don't see Arians going anywhere next year. Like or not we're stuck with him. Dont you think its kinds sad that we will be one of the only teams to win a SB, and yet no other team will offer Arians a job with more pay? Or that anyone is even looking at him. This is not because our OL sucked all year. Its because he's been in the league for years, and everyone has seen him coach. TG, you could be right about us being stuck with him, but I am holding out hope for a better deal. And St is a little different, then the offense. Not that either one is easy, but there are far more plays on offense then Special teams.

Roadkill
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Aint no body beatin down BA"s door so he aint going nowhere

JensK
02-10-2009, 05:01 AM
I say we keep Berger!.....:greengrin: If it wasn't for all those 30yd punts our coverage team wouldn't have been as good.......lol

Actually Berger was really good in the play-offs (expect that Ravens punt >.>). I know he is no d-sep, but the guy was positive all the way and punted really good when he got in shape and got rid of all the injuries :P God i still missed d-sep..

Stairwayto7
02-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I saw D-Sep in the parade, and Reed, but I didn`t notice Berger!

BloodTypePGH
02-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Are you guys really hating this bad only what......2 weeks removed from a Super Bowl win? C'mon! Look I know we all have our problems with Brucie but let's look at it objectively. A) How many time in the red zone over the season did B.A. let go of the reins and give em to Ben to call plays himself? So how many of those red zone fizzels were really B.A.'s fault? B) Anyone else recall Ben having career years in touchdowns and passer rating last year? Or how about Willie leading the league in rushing until his leg broke (also a shout out to our O-Line) C) DO you really want to rob Ben of the SECOND OC he's had since coming into the league?
Look I know we all get frustrated by the play calling sometimes but that's bound to happen. But look, Ben has known B.A. since he was a rookie, as his QB coach and now his OC. Next season will be their third together as QB/OC. Our offense isn't facing any daunting personell changes so how about we get excited? We lose practically no one and nothing from a Super Bowl winning season, you know how many teams would drop to their knees if it meant having our problems?:tt02:

Dean Denton
02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Are you guys really hating this bad only what......2 weeks removed from a Super Bowl win? C'mon! Look I know we all have our problems with Brucie but let's look at it objectively. A) How many time in the red zone over the season did B.A. let go of the reins and give em to Ben to call plays himself? So how many of those red zone fizzels were really B.A.'s fault? B) Anyone else recall Ben having career years in touchdowns and passer rating last year? Or how about Willie leading the league in rushing until his leg broke (also a shout out to our O-Line) C) DO you really want to rob Ben of the SECOND OC he's had since coming into the league?
Look I know we all get frustrated by the play calling sometimes but that's bound to happen. But look, Ben has known B.A. since he was a rookie, as his QB coach and now his OC. Next season will be their third together as QB/OC. Our offense isn't facing any daunting personell changes so how about we get excited? We lose practically no one and nothing from a Super Bowl winning season, you know how many teams would drop to their knees if it meant having our problems?:tt02:
The only reason Parker led the league in rushing is because he touched the ball about 100 times more then anyone else. And he was not that far ahead of the next guy. Sure there is going to be a learning curve with a new OC. and I dont remember anything about Bruce turning the Offense over to Ben in the Red Zone. I know Ben would take over with the No Huddle, but thats it. but I could be wrong there. Like I said already, I dont see any other team or teams begging for Bruce to take over for them calling plays. Maybe thats because he sucks.

ejsteeler
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Unfortunately, a SB win guarantees him at least one more year......:yesnod:

Dean Denton
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately, a SB win guarantees him at least one more year......:yesnod:LOL....This means its going to be another year of all of us bashing him into the earth..However this time there will be some of us defending him saying," Come on guys, we did win a SB with him." And they will be right, but missing the point that we won in spite of him, not because of him. Remove Ben and we do not win, or have 5 or 6 4th quarter come backs.....This I would bet my big screen on.

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Bruce will get fired the next season the Steelers miss the playoffs or when they blow it in the first round of the playoffs. If it wasn't for Ben calling the plays at the end of every comeback game, the Steelers would have lost every one of them. Play calling was absolutely horrible after week 3. Weeks 1, 2, and 3 had decent play calling. With all the talent coming back on offense next year, Bruce Arians MUST call good games in order to keep his job. I think he is a good coach, but not a good coordinator. He needs to go back to coaching the WR's

Dean Denton
02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Bruce will get fired the next season the Steelers miss the playoffs or when they blow it in the first round of the playoffs. If it wasn't for Ben calling the plays at the end of every comeback game, the Steelers would have lost every one of them. Play calling was absolutely horrible after week 3. Weeks 1, 2, and 3 had decent play calling. With all the talent coming back on offense next year, Bruce Arians MUST call good games in order to keep his job. I think he is a good coach, but not a good coordinator. He needs to go back to coaching the WR's
OMG, his first post and he has become my favorite member....good for you
H3INZFI3LDST33L. This is pretty much what I have been telling these knuckle heads for weeks and they continue to rip me a new A$$ hole. Welcome to SA you sexy bitch......:yellowthumb:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-12-2009, 11:03 PM
H3INZFI3LDST33L. This is pretty much what I have been telling these knuckle heads for weeks and they continue to rip me a new A$$ hole. Welcome to SA you sexy bitch......:yellowthumb:

:clap:..dude you crack me up.:lol:

K Train
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM

i think you guys should call the plays, maybe they could set up a live madden feed so you can call them from your couches. there is nothing arians could do to make people like you happy, its way to burned into your head that he sucks that any failure is all on him and not on the players trying to execute it. point is you cant win the superbowl every year. there are teams in wayyyyy worse shape than the steelers. i trust the steelers, i always have....2 superbowls in 4 years and 2 divison titles under tomlin wasnt an accident. there are some weaknesses on this team an thats obvious, but im not sure you can always blame little **** ups on coaching, the players need to be held accountable too. 12-4 and a superbowl is a pretty solid little piece of arians resume if you are going to sit there and say he didnt improve from the 07 season you are lying to yourself and should go root for a "good team" like the patriots

Koopa
02-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Or how about Willie leading the league in rushing until his leg broke (also a shout out to our O-Line)

OMG!!!! will ppl stop bringing this bull **** up??? the bum led by like 4 yards and had over 20 carries more then anyone, of course you are gonna lead when you run more then anyone else in the league...........

K Train
02-12-2009, 11:43 PM
i just hope arians is with us for another 20 years just to spite all of you

Koopa
02-13-2009, 12:32 AM
i just hope arians is with us for another 20 years just to spite all of you

as long as we win, i'm down with another 20 years....... of course i'd still be talking **** if we won 20 super bowls in that time period........... it's no fun being positive, cause then i can't watch everyone get butt hurt over a post

i hate arians, but when you look at it, he can't be blamed for ben's stupidity........ ben wins us games, but ben is a very stupid football player, and makes way to many unnecessary mistakes, but since he's a 100 million dollar man ppl ignore his stupidity and blame arians...........

TEEMONT
02-13-2009, 03:34 PM
as long as we win, i'm down with another 20 years....... of course i'd still be talking **** if we won 20 super bowls in that time period........... it's no fun being positive, cause then i can't watch everyone get butt hurt over a post

i hate arians, but when you look at it, he can't be blamed for ben's stupidity........ ben wins us games, but ben is a very stupid football player, and makes way to many unnecessary mistakes, but since he's a 100 million dollar man ppl ignore his stupidity and blame arians...........

WHAT!!! Ben is GOD, how dare you!!!!

<end sarcasm>

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Well buddy, maybe I should coach the Steelers from my couch. I am an offensive coordinator at a local school. I know what I am talking about unlike all of the other "Couch Coaches". Sorry to pop your bubble! But I know football and I know when Ben calls the audibles on the field. I can predict the Steelers play calling almost perfectly when Bruce calls the play. During the 2 minute warning when Ben calls the play, I couldn't tell you what is coming.

--- Added 2/13/2009 at 03:04 PM ---

Thank you, I appreciate it. Look forward to hearing A LOT from me in the near future! You will be impressed...

Dean Denton
02-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Well buddy, maybe I should coach the Steelers from my couch. I am an offensive coordinator at a local school. I know what I am talking about unlike all of the other "Couch Coaches". Sorry to pop your bubble! But I know football and I know when Ben calls the audibles on the field. I can predict the Steelers play calling almost perfectly when Bruce calls the play. During the 2 minute warning when Ben calls the play, I couldn't tell you what is coming.

--- Added 2/13/2009 at 03:04 PM ---

Thank you, I appreciate it. Look forward to hearing A LOT from me in the near future! You will be impressed...
Not to mention We won that SB and or got there with our Def. We would not be there without them. And Arians was not calling the shots in 2005. that was The Whiz. We won this year in spite of Arians, not because of him. He is average at best and could not do this without Ben.

Troyisabeast_43
02-13-2009, 05:33 PM

I agree with you that Ben does do a lot of dumb stuff sometimes and can drive you flat out crazy while watching a Steelers game. But to call Ben a very stupid football player I think is a bit of a stretch. Like you said Ben just doesnt win games he wins A LOT of games and that is pretty much all he has done since coming into the league in 2004. He has played in 3 AFC Championships in 5 years and has won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years as well since taking over as the starting quarterback of the Steelers. So he cant be that stupid right???

Dean Denton
02-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I agree with you that Ben does do a lot of dumb stuff sometimes and can drive you flat out crazy while watching a Steelers game. But to call Ben a very stupid football player I think is a bit of a stretch. Like you said Ben just doesnt win games he wins A LOT of games and that is pretty much all he has done since coming into the league in 2004. He has played in 3 AFC Championships in 5 years and has won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years as well since taking over as the starting quarterback of the Steelers. So he cant be that stupid right???
I agree. Ben is a pretty smart ball player. He just try's making plays. The o-line does not give him the time it did his first two years and he does what he can. Put him behind the Giants or Titans OL and you will see a perfect season. High numbers 40 TD's 3 INT, and maybe 5 sacks...ok the sacks is a stretch, but the rest you cant argue. He did close to that last year.

steelcityrockers
02-13-2009, 10:33 PM
40 TD's 3 INT's?

Man you are ****ing stupid

He did not come close to that last year. He was off by 8 on both accounts. It is damned near impossible to throw only 3 picks all year. Garrard did it in 2007 but he really didn't throw that much, as evidenced by his 17 or 18 TD passes.

Troyisabeast_43
02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I agree. Ben is a pretty smart ball player. He just try's making plays. The o-line does not give him the time it did his first two years and he does what he can. Put him behind the Giants or Titans OL and you will see a perfect season. High numbers 40 TD's 3 INT, and maybe 5 sacks...ok the sacks is a stretch, but the rest you cant argue. He did close to that last year.

Like I stated before on this post as long as Ben is the starting QB on this team and stays healthy, and Dick Lebeau is in charge of this awesome defense who is going to have virtually everybody back next season, the Steelers have a great chance to make another run at back to back Lombardi Trophy's next season whether Bruce Arians is still the offensive coordinator or not.

ejsteeler
02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, it's official. We're stuck with BA at least one more year. Do we dare hope he has learned something this season? :dunno:

Steelers' coaching staff remains intact for third year in a row
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin, the youngest Super Bowl coach in history, will add to his list of firsts in the 2009 season by keeping his entire coaching staff intact for the third consecutive year.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler turned down a chance to become the defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals late last week after speaking to his friend Ken Whisenhunt about the job on the phone after the Steelers granted permission Friday.

By returning to his job with the Steelers, Butler ensured that Tomlin's 2009 staff will look the same as it did in 2008 and '07. Unless something unforeseen happens, the staff of 14 assistants will return for a third season, plus their conditioning coach. No other coaches are known to be candidates elsewhere.

It will be the first time since at least before Chuck Noll became coach in 1969 that an entire Steelers coaching staff will stay together for the first three years under a new head coach. Noll made a few changes through his first two seasons. Bill Cowher kept his staff intact his first two years, then fired three coaches after his second season.

Butler was under contract and the Steelers did not have to grant permission for the Cardinals to talk to him.

Whisenhunt reportedly has hired Billy Davis, a quality control coach on Cowher's early staff with the Steelers, as his defensive coordinator.

The Steelers did make one move, signing defensive end Jordan Reffett to their roster. Reffett, an undrafted rookie from Washington, spent training camp with the Steelers and then two weeks on their practice squad in October. He is 6 feet 4, 292 pounds.

steelcityrockers
02-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Um, am I the only who thinks Arians is actually a pretty good coordinator?

ejsteeler
02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
You're probably not the only one, but I would say you are in the minority. He is obviously not the worst, but his screw ups are so obvious it just makes you wonder........

Black@Gold Forever32
02-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Why is Arians still an issue?....I don't like him that much either but the team has been highly successful since he has been OC....No he isn't the sole reason for that success but he has had a part in this.....I still say if the Steelers improve the OL then it will allow Arians to be a better OC.....

I say why change anything at this point?....Let Arians grow as an OC with the core of these current players on offense.....

ejsteeler
02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, it's good you feel that way since that is what is happening.....:lol:
Remember, this is a forum to talk about things......this was a recent article relevent to a past discussion, that's all. :dunno:

Stairwayto7
02-17-2009, 09:58 PM
I have hated on Arians all season! But we won the SuperBowl! Although the offense was mia for most of the second half

Black@Gold Forever32
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, it's good you feel that way since that is what is happening.....:lol:
Remember, this is a forum to talk about things......this was a recent article relevent to a past discussion, that's all. :dunno:

But use common sense before really making this an issue.....The team just won the Super Bowl and has won two division titles in the two years Arians has been OC......So why would the Steelers make a change?.....Only reason would be if Arians and Tomlin hated each other or Ben and Arians hated each other....Ben loves Bruce so that is another factor to consider.....

For the record I had no problem with you posting what article you posted....Its just this thread keeps growing and there is no need....lol Bruce Arians isn't going anywhere and really his performance as OC really hasn't hampered the team in the win/loss column.....I'm also not a fan of BA at all but its really stupid and waste of time to continue to bitch about him....BA wouldn't even have been fired if this team failed to reach the Super Bowl.....

Troyisabeast_43
02-17-2009, 11:03 PM
But use common sense before really making this an issue.....The team just won the Super Bowl and has won two division titles in the two years Arians has been OC......So why would the Steelers make a change?.....Only reason would be if Arians and Tomlin hated each other or Ben and Arians hated each other....Ben loves Bruce so that is another factor to consider.....

For the record I had no problem with you posting what article you posted....Its just this thread keeps growing and there is no need....lol Bruce Arians isn't going anywhere and really his performance as OC really hasn't hampered the team in the win/loss column.....I'm also not a fan of BA at all but its really stupid and waste of time to continue to bitch about him....BA wouldn't even have been fired if this team failed to reach the Super Bowl.....

I been saying this all along as well 32 that they are just not going to fire anybody from the coaching staff after they just got done winning a Super Bowl Championship it's just not logical and makes no sense at all. A lot of people on here need to let go of this obsession and hatred of Bruce Arians I think for the time being and stop worrying about what's going to happen next season already. My goodness we still are barely 2 weeks removed from winning the 6th Super Bowl in Steelers history and making NFL history as well. Take some down time from all the bashing and worrying about next season already and enjoy it and reflect on how hard it actually is to see a Super Bowl Championship and how truly great a season it was. There will come a time and place for us as fans to start worrying about and focusing on next season and I just feel being barely 2 weeks removed from winning the Super Bowl now is just not that time to be talking about firing coaches for next year and just everything else that is in relation to the 2009 season. Enjoy the Super Bowl win for the time being and as we get closer into the Spring and Summer months and the novelty of this Super Bowl win begins to wear off then we can begin to look forward to what's going to happen in August and September when the new season starts. I just feel as of right now being my own personal opinion of course is not the time to be worrying about next season already.

steelcityrockers
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
You're probably not the only one, but I would say you are in the minority. He is obviously not the worst, but his screw ups are so obvious it just makes you wonder........

Give me 5 examples that can't be blamed on execution other than the QB sweep fail last year.

Callax
02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
some where in the draft, I'd love to get another randle el, an athletic wr that can throw that rock... It would be nice to have a wrinkle in our offensive game plan HB pass option... But I would love if Pitt could call the game with 7 minutes left in the game, they take the air out of the ball and run it, but we need 5 new OL!!!!!
Just make the line better, Colbert

K Train
02-17-2009, 11:28 PM
this is what i dont get and i never will....i hope we get him signed through the 2024 season just to spite all of you....never satisfied, will never admit that hes an alright cooridnator. you need randel els and surprises and tricks. you will all deny it but you want to be patriots, if theres not 300 yards passing per game you just arent happy. i love the way the steelers play, they arent "sexy" like strahan said before the superbowl, they dont need to fool you or do trick plays. you dont have to surprise a team to simply line up and beat them. flea flickers and trick plays are cute, but you know what they say...they say you are desperate and when you need to get cute to win that means you are saying you cant beat the other guy without tricking him. im not saying they are completely dumb, sometimes they are a nice twist to a game, sometimes they put a team away for you, sometimes they are just broken plays that the players make something happen but for a fan to complain about not seeing them week in and week out is just dumb, you like the wrong team if your looking for style points.

portcityblackandgold
02-18-2009, 09:32 AM
I am glad that Coach Tomlin has been able to keep his staff intact. I have not been a fan of Coach Arians. He seems at times to have expected more out the offense than they were capable of delivering. In failure we find our motivation to succeed and it paid off with another Super Bowl ring for The Steelers.:tt02:

ejsteeler
02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm also not a fan of BA at all but its really stupid and waste of time to continue to bitch about him....BA wouldn't even have been fired if this team failed to reach the Super Bowl.....

:lol: Better get used to worthless topics....it's the off season. :yesnod:

I didn't think for a minute he would be gone. Regardless of the our record though, I still think we can do better. And no, I do not want gaudy passing numbers or trick plays. I want a freakin offense that will get points before we go into panic mode to save our a$$es at the end of the game. Sometimes, fighting through problems and mistakes makes for great football but not every freaking game.
However, now we may get a chance to see if most of the blame needs to fall on BA or not. If we shore up the O-line and the offense starts performing the whole game like we know they can, well, we can shift the blame a little.
Bottom line is, with the line we had, he was too predictable, period. If you do not see that, you do not know football like you think you do. And I by no means consider myself anywhere near a football expert. So it is even more to the point that I can call the play before the snap this past year just by looking at them.

--- Added 2/18/2009 at 08:34 AM ---

this is what i dont get and i never will....i hope we get him signed through the 2024 season just to spite all of you....never satisfied,

And yes, your dam right I will never be satisfied. Once you get satisfied, you start losing. So your juvenile attitude is just that to me.....

K Train
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
And yes, your dam right I will never be satisfied. Once you get satisfied, you start losing. So your juvenile attitude is just that to me.....

wrong again. once they are satisfied they will start losing, no one on that team gives a damn whether your satisified or if you have that kind of motivation because it doesnt really matter at all. fans can be happy, theres nothing wrong with a satisfied fan, a fan who is happy that their team is on top and remains one of the top teams year after year and is run right from top to bottom.

you act like you are a player or a coach and well....your not

ejsteeler
02-18-2009, 02:18 PM
well duh, I thought you would understand that's what I was saying.....they should not be satisfied with BA. I'm a satisified fan and have been for quite a long time. Hell, I was even a satisfied fan through the 80's, and that wasn't a field day, trust me.....:yellowthumb:

Oh, and you act like your a freakin philosopher, and well... your not.....:lol:

Dean Denton
02-18-2009, 02:46 PM
I am unsatisfied with our OC. Again, we won this year inspite of him, not because of him. He is below average at best. And had our defense not been as great as it was, we would have missed the playoffs all together. Arians rides the coat tails of our Defense, and is not held accountable for his crappy play calling by too many people on this forum. Yes, its nice to have a SB victory, but that only came because of Ben. Any other QB in this league would have failed. They only other two QB that get noticed above Ben are Brady and Peyton. No way would they have done better this year with that OL then Ben did. They cant move or add lib like Ben, and this team would have been 8-8 at best. If most of you think that Arians is not the issue, thats fine. Titles can blur your vision. The guy sucks, and his play calling is ametur. Our Def cant carry this team forever, and if we are to have continued success changes must be made. 6 wins this year were because of the Phenom known as Ben, and his two minute greatness. Arians had nothing to do with that. Arians was a big part of the reason it even came to that. Being satisfied with what we have will lead to a huge disappointment going forward. Lightning will not strike twice in the same place, and there is going to be a massive let down next year if change is not made. But what do I know, I'm not a coach or a player. I'm just a fan with 20/20 vision.....

ejsteeler
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
....unfortunately, I can't boast 20/20 vision...I'm blind in my right eye......but I can see that what you said is right on the money. :yellowthumb:

Dean Denton
02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
....unfortunately, I can't boast 20/20 vision...I'm blind in my right eye......but I can see that what you said is right on the money. :yellowthumb: I try. I know this Steeler Franchise has pretty much always done well, but they have made plenty of mistakes too. I think keeping Arians could be another big mistake. I always reserve the right to be wrong, but there is nothing that I have seen in him to make me think we couldn't not do much better then him. I never remember bitching about play calling more then I have with this guy. Never have I sat through a more frustrating season. Things could be much smoother then what they were. Or....Maybe the schedule we had was a big part of the Offensive woes...Time will tell. but based on the way Ben saved this season, I have a hard time putting it on him.

ejsteeler
02-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Absolutley, there were a lot of things involved in our problems, the schedule beign one of them, but even without that schedule like the year prior, he does not inspire a confidence to get things done. :dunno: Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. That would not break my heart.

TampaSteelGirl
02-18-2009, 04:08 PM
:popcorn:

ejsteeler
02-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Hey! you sharing that popcorn?

Dean Denton
02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Absolutley, there were a lot of things involved in our problems, the schedule beign one of them, but even without that schedule like the year prior, he does not inspire a confidence to get things done. :dunno: Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. That would not break my heart.
Yes, and I would be welcome to him stuffing a massive crow pie right down my throat. However if you wanted to share, I would tell him first, that way we could enjoy it with a frosty glass of milk or a smooth guinness imported from Know Your Roll boulevard.....

K Train
02-18-2009, 04:19 PM
the more bitching and moaning i hear the more i love arians.

ben is great, we know that, the defense is great, we know that too. my eyes are not blurred, not even a little bit. some people have steelers colored sunglasses on 24/7 and they are always the best team out there. i never think that way, im very critical of them always.

but saying they would have missed the playoff IF the defense wasnt good is stupid, IF that was the case the team would make adjustments accordingly. point is arians doesnt need to be great but so far when hes needed to be hes come through pretty nice. you dont win 12 games by accident, you dont win the division 2 years in a row by accident and you dont win the superbowl by accident. as ben gets older he runs the show a little more, we dont need mike martz in there dictating everything, its all working to having an offense similar to the colts where the OC gives 2 or 3 play suggestions and the QB reacts and adjusts accordingly, ben is good enough to be that guy, hes getting smarter and more comfortable. complains about arians will go on forever, but its not him so get over it

ejsteeler
02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Nope, not getting over it, but you can if you like. Arians is average at best. As I've said, I'll be just as happy replacing him as I would if he proved me wrong. Nothing you say can change the obvious flubs I have seen him make on way too many occaisions. We'll just have to agree to disagree and hope for the best. :yellowthumb:

Dean Denton
02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
the more bitching and moaning i hear the more i love arians.

ben is great, we know that, the defense is great, we know that too. my eyes are not blurred, not even a little bit. some people have steelers colored sunglasses on 24/7 and they are always the best team out there. i never think that way, im very critical of them always.

but saying they would have missed the playoff IF the defense wasnt good is stupid, IF that was the case the team would make adjustments accordingly. point is arians doesnt need to be great but so far when hes needed to be hes come through pretty nice. you dont win 12 games by accident, you dont win the division 2 years in a row by accident and you dont win the superbowl by accident. as ben gets older he runs the show a little more, we dont need mike martz in there dictating everything, its all working to having an offense similar to the colts where the OC gives 2 or 3 play suggestions and the QB reacts and adjusts accordingly, ben is good enough to be that guy, hes getting smarter and more comfortable. complains about arians will go on forever, but its not him so get over it You think its stupid, but its a fact that we were as good as we were because of this Def. This Def bailed us out all year. They won half of our games, and Ben won the other half with 4th quarter come backs. Ok, maybe the Texans, and Bengals we crushed, but the 1st Browns game was the Def, and the 2nd was a beat down. Every other game was Def and/or Ben winning it at the end. We had more three and outs this year then I ever remember. We had an all time high in punts. We won our division because of Def and because we have the best QB in the league. I dont remember one game againsts a good team where we looked good moving the ball until Ben took over the game at the end, or the Def ended it in dramatic fashion. Help me out here. I'm a bit slow, we all knows this here. Please point out a game or a couple drives where we looked good. Or maybe some of that steller play calling in the Red Zone where the team cant seem to score a TD with 5 or 6 shots from the 5 yard line.

Please help, you have a Steeler brother that is lost, and cant see beyond his Steeler blinders. The search for sub-par play calling continues....

K Train
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
like ive said before...you should have put your resume in at the right time, you missed out on the job. firing him now would be dumb and as long as the team continues to win why bring in a new guy and a new playbook? i think somehow you need to get over it because you know this team is all about being stable, we had to deal with cowher ****ing **** up for 15 years

Dean Denton
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
like ive said before...you should have put your resume in at the right time, you missed out on the job. firing him now would be dumb and as long as the team continues to win why bring in a new guy and a new playbook? i think somehow you need to get over it because you know this team is all about being stable, we had to deal with cowher ****ing **** up for 15 years We did have to put up with Bill messing things up, but he never had a franchise QB getting ready to hit his peak. Bill did the best with what he had, and I would hope this franchise is smart enough to learn from past mistakes. Struggling to win games or score points because we use a flag football coach as an OC is stupid. And they turned my resume down because on the bottom of it I printed out, " I promise to be at least 10% smarter then Arians." They thought it was a cheap shot, and returned it.
What can ya do?....lol

ejsteeler
02-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, did you put your resume in during the Cower era? I doubt it, but I bet you were bitching up a storm.

Ok, I'll get over it...just because you said so....NOT!!!!!

If you paid attention at all, nobody said we should fire him after the win. What was said is that we are stuck with him because of it.

Get over yourself man, you are not the all knowing football god. Your opinion is no better than anyone else's and that's what I thought this forum was for...opinions. You can disagree with someone without putting them down and telling them what to do. Grown ups do it all the time. :yesnod: :yellowthumb: