PDA

View Full Version : Is Ward on his way out...

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
ESPN seems to think that Hines may not be returning next season because he's going into his last year of his contract, and the Steelers dont do the resigning thing. Hines would make just over 5 million this up coming season and its a big hit to the salary cap. With the emergence of Holmes Superbowl Sunday, Ward is all of a sudden on the outside looking in. What is this crap?

I find it hard to believe that the Steelers would not resign him or that Ward would not restructure his contract to finish up with the Steelers. Have any of you got anything to add to this. I have not heard anything else about this issue. All I know is you dont let a player like Ward walk off into the sunset after all he has done. Not to mention we are not so loaded at WR that we should be thinking of doing such a thing.

igor0190
02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
ESPN is speculating...
Think about the backlash if something like that happens. I don't expect that to happen for 1 second.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Hines is returning next year, it's just ESPN and everybody else looking for a story. This is Hines 11th year coming up and the way he's playing he'll get an extension for another couple years. If Farrior can get one at his age then Hines certainly will. For **** sake it's not even been a week since the super bowl and they are already yapping about deals getting done. The Steelers almost never give out veteran extensions till closer to camp or just before the regular season.

AZ_Steeler
02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Hines is returning next year, it's just ESPN and everybody else looking for a story. This is Hines 11th year coming up and the way he's playing he'll get an extension for another couple years. If Farrior can get one at his age then Hines certainly will. For **** sake it's not even been a week since the super bowl and they are already yapping about deals getting done. The Steelers almost never give out veteran extensions till closer to camp or just before the regular season.

They are already yapping because they've beat to death the non calls in the Super Bowl and they want to create rumors to bring distractions to the Steelers in hoping their Patsies can return to the SB next year.

K Train
02-05-2009, 11:39 AM
if ward isnt willing to restructure and take a paycut he would be out.

i read before that we are not set on resigning nate, but we would have to if we let ward go

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Nate is going to end up getting a bunch of money from Somebody so you know the Steelers won't break the bank on him. He wants to be a starter and he knows Hines & Santonio are still the main guys here. If the Steelers believe Sweed can be the guy they will let Nate walk.

Im sure Hines will be willing to restructure his deal, I honestly don't forsee that as being much of an issue.

TampaSteelGirl
02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Hines WILL retire a Steeler....he even said it after the Super Bowl when asked!! :yellowthumb:

Prosdo
02-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I just don't see it happening. Hines will be back.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Hines is not going anywhere, he'll do whatever they ask, because he has his second superbowl ring an he knows that number three isn't that far off:tt02:, once this team resign Clark an Harrison, an get that O-Line right this off season, number Seven superbowl will soon follow if not this year next for sure:yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Ward will be a Steeler for life!

ejsteeler
02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Ward has the same mindset Bettis had. He will do what he needs to stay a Steeler and help the team get #7. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
It's not like he gave an indication that he's not happy, looking to retire, or anything else. He's fine, he'll be back and be in uniform for us just like always.

Ward is not immune to the free agency market though either, remember he did hold out until he got his new deal but at this point in his career he knows his best chance to continue winning is here and this city loves him.

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Ward will be a Steeler for life! I thought the same thing about Woodson, and at heart he is and always will be a Steeler. but he moved on in the twilight of his career and won a SB with the Ravens, then moved on to Oakland. Nothing is ever set in stone with players and teams. Ward, as much as we would like to see him retire a Steeler could make more money somewhere else, and we all know it and so does he. Sometimes these guys have to think of themselves and there family.

lloydfan4life
02-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Why do you even give credence to the BS that ESPN spews?? :whatever:
Hines isn't going anywhere.
Next subject.

K Train
02-05-2009, 01:23 PM
you guys are all blind. im telling you that if ward doesnt take a paycut hes gone.

steeler for life is a joke, you act like you know these guys. its a business

lloydfan4life
02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Nobody said anything about Hines not taking a pay cut or restructuring his contract. I just said he's not going anywhere.

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Why should he take a pay cut? What other WR on our roster as proven to be worth more? What, because Holmes got SB MVP he should be #1? Come on. Ward was hurt and if he wasn't he would have been the focus on that game winning drive. Just like he always is. I think he could be gone. He's more worthy then most starting WR in the league, and will be offered a fat deal to leave. It will be on him to decide what matters most. Team or Money...I say he picks team.

Troyisabeast_43
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
He said at the parade as well when they interviewed him while he was riding down the street in the car that he isnt going anywhere and he will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler. Does anybody really believe that Hines Ward doesnt want to come back to the Steelers next season and beyond and break more receiving records, and also have another great opportunity at getting back to back Super Bowl Championships??

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
He said at the parade as well when they interviewed him while he was riding down the street in the car that he isnt going anywhere and he will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler. Does anybody really believe that Hines Ward doesnt want to come back to the Steelers next season and beyond and break more receiving records, and also have another great opportunity at getting back to back Super Bowl Championships?? I would bet my life thats what he wants. Who wouldn't? He has something special happening right now in Pittsburgh, and he has worked hard to get where he is. But money always plays a huge part in this. I think he has more then enough cash, but sometimes its not enough. Players start think and listening to others in their family that they should get more $$$$. We will see...

Silverback
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I would be severely disappointed if Hines didn't retire a steeler.

K Train
02-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Why should he take a pay cut? What other WR on our roster as proven to be worth more? What, because Holmes got SB MVP he should be #1? Come on. Ward was hurt and if he wasn't he would have been the focus on that game winning drive. Just like he always is. I think he could be gone. He's more worthy then most starting WR in the league, and will be offered a fat deal to leave. It will be on him to decide what matters most. Team or Money...I say he picks team.

hines got a huge deal before 05. hes getting paid like a top wr and he doesnt produce like one plain and simple, im not saying hes not good, im not saying hes not clutch, im not saying i dont want him back. im saying hes old, his knees are shot, now more than ever, he need surgery. holmes is the #1 wr on this team, ward is a mini TE/slot receiver but he gets paid like andre johnson and other top Wrs in the league without producing like them. he should have taken a paycut last year, this year he almost has too

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 06:22 PM
hines got a huge deal before 05. hes getting paid like a top wr and he doesnt produce like one plain and simple, im not saying hes not good, im not saying hes not clutch, im not saying i dont want him back. im saying hes old, his knees are shot, now more than ever, he need surgery. holmes is the #1 wr on this team, ward is a mini TE/slot receiver but he gets paid like andre johnson and other top Wrs in the league without producing like them. he should have taken a paycut last year, this year he almost has too I can almost agree with all of that but to say he's not clutch is a personal foul worthy of 15 yards. Not to mention saying Holmes is the #1 guy based on Sapp like opinions at best. Ward has never been fast that I cn remember, but to take a champs belt you need to beat him soundly over the course of a 12 or 15 round fight. Holmes has not done this yet. But you are right that the cntract should be reviewed.

K Train
02-05-2009, 06:25 PM
i know ward is clutch, thats his best attribute imo, but point is hes nearing the end and he is either gonna play the next few years at a reduced price like bettis did and retire a steeler or he can make big $$$ elsewhere...its his call, but hes going to have to restructure to retire a steeler, he becomes a cap casuality if not

Dean Denton
02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
i know ward is clutch, thats his best attribute imo, but point is hes nearing the end and he is either gonna play the next few years at a reduced price like bettis did and retire a steeler or he can make big $$$ elsewhere...its his call, but hes going to have to restructure to retire a steeler, he becomes a cap casuality if notAgreed. I think he would based on trying to set records that will be upheld for years, and not trying to play in another uniform. Hell, even Elway took a pay cut. but you know how these diva WR can be....

ejsteeler
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I said that way back in this thread already. He will do what he needs to stay a Steeler. As much as many teams would want him, I do not think at his age he wants to be breaking into a new system. This is taylor made for his abilities which is why he is so good.

Stlrs4Life
02-06-2009, 04:07 PM
I thought the same thing about Woodson, and at heart he is and always will be a Steeler. but he moved on in the twilight of his career and won a SB with the Ravens, then moved on to Oakland. Nothing is ever set in stone with players and teams. Ward, as much as we would like to see him retire a Steeler could make more money somewhere else, and we all know it and so does he. Sometimes these guys have to think of themselves and there family.

Woodson was greedy, Hines isn't. Different stories. Hines possibly could retire after next season. And it isn't that the Steelers don' resign there players, they don't negotiate during the season, so the Steelers could offer him an extension.

K Train
02-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I said that way back in this thread already. He will do what he needs to stay a Steeler. As much as many teams would want him, I do not think at his age he wants to be breaking into a new system. This is taylor made for his abilities which is why he is so good.

thats the thing tough, no one knows that. hes accomplished alot in his career, he has the slack to do whatever he wants. no one thought brett favre would ever play for a team other than the packers.

and to the other post that says ward isnt greedy, he held out to get his new deal. thats a sign of greed. he wanted top dollar for medium production. whos to say hes not looking for money, didnt he have bankruptcy issues with his resturaunt and what not? no one here knows his intentions

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
thats the thing tough, no one knows that. hes accomplished alot in his career, he has the slack to do whatever he wants. no one thought brett favre would ever play for a team other than the packers.

and to the other post that says ward isnt greedy, he held out to get his new deal. thats a sign of greed. he wanted top dollar for medium production. whos to say hes not looking for money, didnt he have bankruptcy issues with his resturaunt and what not? no one here knows his intentions

:plus1:

No one player on this team is irreplaceable except for maybe Ben. We all know how long it took us to find a quarterback after Bradshaw retired (a quarter century). Ward can be replaced. Limus Sweed will be a great player for us. Santonio Holmes has shown himself to be more than capable of being Bens #1 go to guy. When Sweed becomes a regular in the line-up he will be a stud, mark it down. He has already shown that he can get open, now he just needs to calm the nerves and make the plays. Washington can probably be resigned cheap and Heath Miller will be with us for awhile. If Hines isn't willing to play for less he should be cut. Period.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
We all want to think he's going to retire a Steeler and chances are good he probably will. He's done it all in his career, he's got nothing left to prove. He's not going to leave to go to a non championship contender, veteran like him don't do that. They stick around as long as they can to get as many rings as they can. The Steelers won't undercut him but Im sure there will be alittle tension when the talks start for him.

K Train
02-06-2009, 05:44 PM
We all want to think he's going to retire a Steeler and chances are good he probably will. He's done it all in his career, he's got nothing left to prove. He's not going to leave to go to a non championship contender, veteran like him don't do that. They stick around as long as they can to get as many rings as they can. The Steelers won't undercut him but Im sure there will be alittle tension when the talks start for him.
not necessarily, footw has publically said he wants to play for the lions. thats his hometown team and he wants to help his community. once you get 2 rings, you can do stuff with your career that is for you, what you want to do not what is best for your career.

Callax
02-06-2009, 11:30 PM
A comment about woodson, the steelers lowwballed him with a 5 year, 2 million offer and Rod left... the steelers were being cheap about trying to keep him, because I remember when Pitt drafted him and I was doing backflips.... and cried when he blew out his knee vs. Lions .....
Hines is first and foremost a football player, If it was 3rd down and seven, I would look for him the 1st read, 2nd read and the 3rd read PERIOD!!!
He might have to take a pay cut to stay, but I doubt they'll ask him to do that. He will resign next year (at a reduced amount ) and this will be the last Pro contract he'll sign and he will retire as the best steeler WR in Pittsburgh's storied history!!!!!
The best blocking WR on his way to canton, OH!

Stlrs4Life
02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
A comment about woodson, the steelers lowwballed him with a 5 year, 2 million offer and Rod left... the steelers were being cheap about trying to keep him, because I remember when Pitt drafted him and I was doing backflips.... and cried when he blew out his knee vs. Lions .....

The Steelers asked Rod to move to Safety position he turned that down, and the Steelers offer was not far off of what SF gave him, then what does he do? He played S after all.