PDA

View Full Version : Was the torch passed from Ward to Holmes?

STEELER 4 LIFE
02-04-2009, 02:36 AM
WATCHING HOLMES THESE PAST FEW GAMES, I THINK HOLMES HAS TURNED THAT
CORNER. HE HAS GOT GREAT CATCHING SKILLS AND CAN TAKE IT TO THE HOUSE
AT ANY TIME. THAT SB PERFORMANCE WILL BOOST HIS CONFIDENCE AND ALSO BEN'S
CONFIDENCE IN HIM. NEXT YEAR HE WILL BE OUR TOP WR.

Koopa
02-04-2009, 02:39 AM
first push the cap lock button to turn it off.......... now back to subject.........

it probably has, but by default, we ain't got no one better, holmes still has some improving to do before he's a star, sure the super bowl mvp will raise his confidence, but lets see how he deals with the added pressure that comes with being a super bowl mvp......... i also hope he doesn't turn plax on us and start thinking he deserves to be the richest player in the history of the nfl cause of his one performance....... i agree he will be are top wr next year...... well hopefully, i hope he don't get into any trouble this offseason.....i'm sure he won't, but there's dirty hoes out there always wanting money and will say he slapped them just to get it

Stairwayto7
02-04-2009, 06:49 AM
I agree with Koopa, he has shown some signs of greatness, in the last few games. But he has to do that the entire season, and he has to run better routes. One thing that he has learned, when Ben starts running around, keep moving, come back to your QB, get open. But as Koopa said, he is the only one, Washington is descent at best, Sweed has shown little so far, Hines was injured. So he had to step up, and he did.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Well i'm old school in my thinking, an i believe that greatness comes from doing something year in an year out, he has the ability, but time will tell, IMO one good year or an copule of good games doesn't make u hall of fame material, u have to do it year in an year out!!

yinzer
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
one word.... SWEED

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Ideally you want to have Holmes and Washington/Sweed as the top 2 WR's and have Ward as the 3rd guy for situational passing. Both of those guys need to prove though that they are better than Hines. Right now, IMO, Hines is still the #1 WR on this team or maybe the #2 guy behind Holmes. Certainly though he's no worse than 2. Hines has proven week in and week out that when you absolutely, positively, have to have the play he's the man Ben looks to. Maybe that's finally passed now to Holmes but we'll have to wait and see.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Healthy Hines is still our blocking and possession WR. Santonio finally became the deep threat, but don't forget, Washington was injured at some point as well. So we had 2 hurt WR's and that might've force Santonio to step up. I'd like to see him step up with our WR corps healthy. ;-)

Although, to be fair, the O line gelled late and makes it difficult to be sure what was wrong early in the season.

SteelRN
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Holmes has some talent, but he could be more consistent. Sixty Minute Man got it right, I think. Hopefully this season will bump his level up for next year.

Dean Denton
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I think Ward is still the #1 guy in Pittsburgh next season. He is going to have to be beat out for the job, and he too is a SB MVP. He was hurt and was unable to contribute more then what he did in that SB. Or he would have been in on that last drive. Dont think for a minute that Ward is going faid into the sunset because Holmes won a SB MVP. Guys get hurt, and others have to step up. Thats been the expectation all year, and Holmes did his job. If Ward and Washington aren't hurt in that game they would have been used in that last driver and Ben would have been SB MVP. I would love to see Holmes try and knock Ward from that top spot. If that happens then we have some bad *** WR in Pittsburgh.

STEELER 4 LIFE
02-04-2009, 12:54 PM
first push the cap lock button to turn it off.......... now back to subject.........

it probably has, but by default, we ain't got no one better, holmes still has some improving to do before he's a star, sure the super bowl mvp will raise his confidence, but lets see how he deals with the added pressure that comes with being a super bowl mvp......... i also hope he doesn't turn plax on us and start thinking he deserves to be the richest player in the history of the nfl cause of his one performance....... i agree he will be are top wr next year...... well hopefully, i hope he don't get into any trouble this offseason.....i'm sure he won't, but there's dirty hoes out there always wanting money and will say he slapped them just to get it

HOW THE HELL YOU GONNA TELL ME HOW TO TYPE? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHERE THE
CAP BUTTON IS? THIS IS THE WAY I TYPE, BIG LETTERS FOR THE BIG DAWG!!!!! YOU
SEEM TO LOVE THE USE OF COMMAS & PERIODS, SO TO EACH HIS OWN.

Dean Denton
02-04-2009, 01:03 PM
SEEM TO LOVE THE USE OF COMMAS & PERIODS, SO TO EACH HIS OWN.Big Dawg...Who told you that?
If you want your caps on...do whatever makes you feel special. I like to use..."However " a lot, so I say run with what got ya to the dance Big Dawg...lol

STEELERJERSEY
02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
The two are really not compareable.Hines is a possesion reciever/blocker/Team Leader/Heart and soul of the offense.
Holmes is a deep threat reciever who had the greatest game of his life on Super Sunday.I think it will also take a little more consistency before we pass the torch to him.

ejsteeler
02-04-2009, 01:13 PM
SEEM TO LOVE THE USE OF COMMAS & PERIODS, SO TO EACH HIS OWN.

I think he is just referring to email etiquette. It comes across as yelling when someone uses all caps to type. :dunno:
Personnaly, I could care less how someone types.
We will not know how he will handle it until next year obviously, but I think he will do fine. Ward will still be there to tutor him and Ben apparently is helping him as well telling him to not get a big head. A good core of guys will take us far next year. :yesnod:

STEELER 4 LIFE
02-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I think he is just referring to email etiquette. It comes across as yelling when someone uses all caps to type. :dunno:
Personnaly, I could care less how someone types.
We will not know how he will handle it until next year obviously, but I think he will do fine. Ward will still be there to tutor him and Ben apparently is helping him as well telling him to not get a big head. A good core of guys will take us far next year. :yesnod:

Ooooooh, i am new to this forum stuff, I didn't know that. I thought i was back in english
class for a moment. I'll have to save the caps for those special moments !!!! Thanks for
the heads up.

I guess you really can't see the turning point until further down the road, you look back.
This post season he got a good taste of that glory that they all really want. We can just
hope thats what drives him from here on.

:tt02::tt02: THERE'S A STEELER NATION, AND WE ALL LIVE IN IT :tt02:

U - UNITED
S - STEELER
A - ADDICTS

ejsteeler
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
:tt02::tt02: THERE'S A STEELER NATION, AND WE ALL LIVE IN IT :tt02:

U - UNITED
S - STEELER
A - ADDICTS

I like it, I like it!!!!!! :clap: :cope:

STEELER 4 LIFE
02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Big Dawg...Who told you that?
If you want your caps on...do whatever makes you feel special. I like to use..."However " a lot, so I say run with what got ya to the dance Big Dawg...lol

My bad, i'm new to the forum thing, didn't know about the whole caps/yelling biz.

:tt02::tt02: THERE'S A STEELER NATION, AND WE ALL LIVE IN IT :tt02::tt02:

U - UNITED
S - STEELER
A - ADDICTS

Black@Gold Forever32
02-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I was expecting Santonio Holmes to become our number 1 WR in 2008....Especially after the season he had in 2007......But I do think Holmes started rocky this season and then stepped it up late in the season....Of course this post-season he was huge and he really stepped his game up......We need Holmes to become the number 1 WR....This isn't a knock on Hines Ward....But Holmes wa a first round pick and with Ward getting older it would be nice for Holmes to carry the load.....Then rely on Hines to make those huge 3rd down catches.......I hope this post season was a spring board for Santonio Holmes in 2009......

Dean Denton
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I was expecting Santonio Holmes to become our number 1 WR in 2008....Especially after the season he had in 2007......But I do think Holmes started rocky this season and then stepped it up late in the season....Of course this post-season he was huge and he really stepped his game up......We need Holmes to become the number 1 WR....This isn't a knock on Hines Ward....But Holmes wa a first round pick and with Ward getting older it would be nice for Holmes to carry the load.....Then rely on Hines to make those huge 3rd down catches.......I hope this post season was a spring board for Santonio Holmes in 2009...... Not only that, I hope it helped to light a fire under Sweeds *** to get him in gear. Now he should know what is expected of him going forward. He just watch some of the best WR play in SB history.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Not only that, I hope it helped to light a fire under Sweeds *** to get him in gear. Now he should know what is expected of him going forward. He just watch some of the best WR play in SB history.

Sweed will be fine...The kid has the talent....All he needs to work on his concentration.....Once he gets the confidence and mental part of the game down then he will show why he was a 2nd round pick....I think Nate Washington should be resigned....No depth with experience....Nate knows the offense and is a solid number three.....We would have Sweed, maybe Baker?...Or I could see the team adding another WR in this draft....On the second day of the draft not the first day.....

Ambridge
02-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Holmes isn't anything close to being in Ward's status.
Ward is a team leader and a consistant-proven quantity.
While Holmes on the other hand still has a lot of growing up to do both on and off the field.

igor0190
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Holmes drawing the #1 CB on the other team will only help Ward...

Has anyone heard about his knee? I heard he may need surgery?

Stairwayto7
02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
My bad, i'm new to the forum thing, didn't know about the whole caps/yelling biz.

:tt02::tt02: THERE'S A STEELER NATION, AND WE ALL LIVE IN IT :tt02::tt02:

U - UNITED
S - STEELER
A - ADDICTS

LOL, I like the USA

Dean Denton
02-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Holmes drawing the #1 CB on the other team will only help Ward...

Has anyone heard about his knee? I heard he may need surgery?Who told you that? I have not heard a thing about it. Is this true? Whats going on with Ward? Can he go next year? What did you hear was the issue? Come on man, speak.....

SteelCurtain
02-05-2009, 01:40 AM
I still believe that Hines is our #1 WR considering he's a great receiver and can block too. Holmes still has some things to improve on, and has to maintain doing like he has done for parts of this year and remain consistent from game to game next year. He seems to be more of our "deep threat" receivers on our offense.