View Full Version : Ben and Terry... Roethlisberger's Better

SteelRN
02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Well, now this is interesting.....

Madden: Ben & Terry ... Roethlisberger's better

By Mark Madden
Times Sports Columnist
Published: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:08 AM EST
"He trails, four Super Bowls to two. But he’s only 26, he’s clutch and he just keeps winning. So it might be time to start asking the question:

Is Ben Roethlisberger better than Terry Bradshaw?

Evidence points to that being an inevitable judgment. True, Bradshaw not only has four Super Bowls, but two Super Bowl MVP awards. You can argue than Roethlisberger should have also halved Bradshaw’s lead in the latter department two days ago, but it’s difficult to say Santonio Holmes shouldn’t have been named most valuable.

But could Bradshaw have done what Roethlisberger did?

Could Bradshaw have taken the meager weapons Roethlisberger had to work with and executed a perfect two-minute drill to win a Super Bowl?

One thing is certain: Bradshaw never did."

Go read, it gets better.....

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/02/02/sports/doc4987d1035e062146058164.txt

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I think if you switch teams Ben would have won, and Terry would not have. Many more weapons on the 70's team. Not to take away from what we have now, but there is a big difference between Ward-Swann and Holmes-Stallworth when it comes to deep balls and routes. I think in all fairness not only do you compair Ben to Terry but to all the other great QB to come before him. What Ben did in SB XL III and what he has done more then any other QB since 2004 is bring his team from behind and win the game. What he did was John Elway like, and what he continues to do is like no other. Sure he didn't have gaudy numbers this year, but the wins are what matters most. Ben in my eyes is the best in the league at winning. Ben is the best when his team needs him the most. Sure it wont always be rainbows and butterflies, but when have you seen this before????? Ben is getting ready to set himself apart from the rest of the league, and he's going to do it by winning. "Style points, whats that?".....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
The way that Ben played this season and in the post season there is no reason he should not be mentioned as a top 3 QB in this league. Hell IMO he was a top 5 at the start but mentioning him in the same breath as both Mannings and Brady is a no brainer. Ben has something those guys don't though (with the exception of Eli alittle bit), there is noone better at escaping pressure and creating plays on the fly than Ben.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I really can't comment on this.....I didn't see Terry Bradshaw play.......I think I was 4 years old when he retired....I can only go by the highlights, stories from older fans like my Dad, Uncles, the older fans on this site........

I just think its awesome this franchise now has two starting QB's have won two Super Bowls in their history....Terry with his four and Ben with his two......I will say this there isn't many QB's that can do what Ben has done and did this season with the limited protection he has.....The man is special and I'm glad number 7 is our QB.......I have stated in the past he was third best QB in the game today and I do think this Super Bowl title should cement that......Colts fans and NFL talking heads can slob on Peyton Manning all they want.....But Ben has two rings now...lol I hope Ben ties Tom Brady this year and hopefully's ties Bradshaw in the near future....Hell come on Ben become the first QB to win five...lol That isn't asking to much is it?....lol

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I really can't comment on this.....I didn't see Terry Bradshaw play.......I think I was 4 years old when he retired....I can only go by the highlights, stories from older fans like my Dad, Uncles, the older fans on this site........

I just think its awesome this franchise now has two starting QB's have won two Super Bowls in their history....Terry with his four and Ben with his two......I will say this there isn't many QB's that can do what Ben has done and did this season with the limited protection he has.....The man is special and I'm glad number 7 is our QB.......I have stated in the past he was third best QB in the game today and I do think this Super Bowl title should cement that......Colts fans and NFL talking heads can slob on Peyton Manning all they want.....But Ben has two rings now...lol I hope Ben ties Tom Brady this year and hopefully's ties Bradshaw in the near future....Hell come on Ben become the first QB to win five...lol That isn't asking to much is it?....lol
Ben said that was his goal. To get at least 5. Not only that but when he leaves the game not only did he want to be mentioned with all the greats like Montana, Elway, Farve and so on, he wanted to remember as the one guy that was better then them all. If he keeps have 4th quarter come back likes this and wins 5 rings it would be hard to say different. My dad is a Raider fan, and dispite this short coming, he loves Bradshaw, thinks he was tops in the 70's. However, he thinks Ben is better. He thinks Ben is by far the best today. He loves Ben and wishes he was a Raider. He said that he has never seen a QB with such poise and an innate gift that he has to win games late. Not even the Great Elway had this many 4th QR comebacks after 5 years....

greennick
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Was an interesting article, however this is written by the same Mark Madden we were saying had no idea less than a week ago...

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Was an interesting article, however this is written by the same Mark Madden we were saying had no idea less than a week ago...dont get lippy....lol

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Ben said that was his goal. To get at least 5. Not only that but when he leaves the game not only did he want to be mentioned with all the greats like Montana, Elway, Farve and so on, he wanted to remember as the one guy that was better then them all. If he keeps have 4th quarter come back likes this and wins 5 rings it would be hard to say different. My dad is a Raider fan, and dispite this short coming, he loves Bradshaw, thinks he was tops in the 70's. However, he thinks Ben is better. He thinks Ben is by far the best today. He loves Ben and wishes he was a Raider. He said that he has never seen a QB with such poise and an innate gift that he has to win games late. Not even the Great Elway had this many 4th QR comebacks after 5 years....

Dean, I remember reading about Ben saying he wanted to win 5 and he wanted to be one of the best ever......I one of the biggest Ben fans around....Remember I was the one earlier in the year asking for Ben to have more throwing attempts per game......I love the fact that he has more say on this offense and the team should be built around him on offense.....I just hope he gets some improved protection....I want him to enjoy a 15 year career...lol

Very cool your dad said that about both Bradshaw and Ben....The Raiders had their chance to draft Ben......They drafted Robert Gallery instead....:lol: Think the Raiders would like to rethink that one?

Gettysburgh_Steel
02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Lets not rush Bens progress. He is remarkable and has two SB's so far. Terry was a pocket QB , but he did have the instincts to avoid the sack at the last possible second. Sure , he had a different o-line, but his line mostly knew where he was gonna be. In the pocket! Our lineman took a lot of heat this season and last. Ben will be the better QB , when he wins 5. Even if he wins 4 to tie, then we can, maybe proclaim him better.Anyone who can say that a young, and up-coming player , is better than a proven 4 time superbowl winner , needs to have a reallity check. Bradshaw is not someone you should overlook. He is in the hall of fame. I love Ben , but he has some trails to travel before he catches Terry. He did the same thing that Ben does, use the people around him to make plays. Little different styles,but very good results. The book ain't closed yet , so please don't make the comparisons.:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
It's still early to tell. Jury is still out on Ben. At the moment, Terry remains better.

TheButt
02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
It's still early to tell. Jury is still out on Ben. At the moment, Terry remains better.

Period.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
I didn't read the article at first....Since I really hate Mark Madden....I think the guy is a douche and usually just likes to start **** among the Stiller Nation........I read the article and again its not fair for me to comment on who is better since I didn't see Bradshaw play....

But I would like to point out yea Terry Bradshaw had a ton of talent around him and played on a loaded team.....But Terry always played his best in the biggest games and as the article pointed out his worst QB rating in a Super Bowl was 101.9.......Terry was a big game QB.....

But nobody could deny that Big Ben has played better in his first five years in the NFL then Terry did in his first five....Terry was terrible and yes I know he did play on some awful Steelers teams early on in his career.....But for what Ben has done within his first five years is really amazing....Even if Ben has played on some really good teams.....

Still I'm not going to say who is better and really I don't care....I respect what Terry Bradshaw did and the legacy he left behind....I'm just really happy that Big Ben has added to that legacy......I think it was another lame stunt by Mark Madden to create some kind of stir....That guy never quits...lol

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Madden is in love with Ben. He always likes to drop his name bout him being a neighbor and stuff.
Am I ready to say Ben is better than Terry, not yet, only time will tell. I hope this discussion is being held after Ben puts up 2 more SB wins!!

Steel Trap86
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Ben should have another 10 years left in him, and with the team we have right now he could be on pace to win at least 2 more superbowls. I think its too early to say whether he's better then Terry though.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
I'd say we can't make a definitive opinion until Ben retires, which I hope is a long way off.

In the meantime, let's enjoy the ride...