PDA

View Full Version : Losing Free Agents

DarthMonk
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
A long-time old NFL and Redskins fan here who will always love the Curtain.

As a Redskins fan I'm sick to death of how our owner has handled things. :banging: The way you all do it is enviable. Can any of you point me to or simply provide a list of the big name talent you have let go over the past 5-10 years? I am aching for the 'Skins to adopt your far sighted attitude and would love to see an actual list of the people you have let go (maybe you could throw in a few of the picks you acquired by doing so and whom they became).

Congratulations on number 6. :yellowthumb: I am so glad I don't have to hear Cowgirl fan at work telling me they're tied for the most SB wins.

Thanks,

DarthMonk

AZ_Steeler
02-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't know that there is a link but there are enough of us on here that we could probably come up with a pretty good list for you... Are you looking for players cut, not resigned by front office, decided to take more money elsewhere or all of the above?

TampaSteelGirl
02-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Do you mean now or in the past? Perhaps I didn't read it correctly?

Thanks for the congrats...we are so proud! Wish you luck this year!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Antwan Randel EL
Plaxico Burress
Chris Hope
Clark Haggans
Joey Porter

Just to name a few of the recent players we didn't resign when they became free agents. There's a lot more if you want to go back to the entire Cowher era.

Lloyd
Kirkland
Troy Edwards
John Jackson
Charles Johnson
Barry Foster
Bam Morris
Ericc Pegram
Eric Greene
Mark Bruener
Neil Odonnel
Earl Holmes
Jason Gildon
Joel Steed
Dermontti Dawson (injury problems late in his career)

steelerfan11
02-03-2009, 11:59 AM
wow great job TG!

you could also add to your list:

Kreider
St. Pierre (sp?)

can't think of anymore right now...sorry

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
What about Faneca?

jpele
02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
What about Faneca?

He's wishing he wasn't so greedy. Sorry for the sarcasm,it just popped out.

igor0190
02-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Guys that take hometown discounts for teams like the Steelers or Patriots usually reap the rewards in a lot of other ways including success. If the money is that important to you maybe your not quite the character guy we want on the team? Although you have to understand why guys like Randle El almost have to leave Pittsburgh when Washington offers them 6Mil a year.

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Guys that take hometown discounts for teams like the Steelers or Patriots usually reap the rewards in a lot of other ways including success. If the money is that important to you maybe your not quite the character guy we want on the team? Although you have to understand why guys like Randle El almost have to leave Pittsburgh when Washington offers them 6Mil a year.Yes but then you have guys like Fitzgerald that are willing to take pay cuts to keep Boldin in town. It comes down to character sometimes, and when it comes to Faneca and Randell Ell I think they are no where near the money the asked for and got. For some its just about the glory, and those are the players you want. you can tell Fitzgerald played college ball in Pittsburgh, look at the character he has. Wish we had that guy.

DarthMonk
02-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know that there is a link but there are enough of us on here that we could probably come up with a pretty good list for you... Are you looking for players cut, not resigned by front office, decided to take more money elsewhere or all of the above?

Over at the www.thehogs.net ('Skin forum) I started a thread called BLOW IT UP! I would love to see our team cut loose some serious big money that isn't even producing in exchange for youth, enthusiasm, long-term cap relief, compensatory picks, and full drafts. To me, Pittsburgh is the best example of doing it right. So I'm mostly interested in "not resigned" although simple cuts are of interest as well. For instance, Portis would be a "cut" which would cost us 7.5 mil against the cap for 1 year while Springs (corner) would be a "not resign" saving 7 million. You guys seem to turn loose some REALLY BIG NAMES (Plax, Porter) virtually every year but you always seem young, fired up, and in the hunt.

DarthMonk

AZ_Steeler
02-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Antwan Randel EL
Plaxico Burress
Chris Hope
Clark Haggans
Joey Porter

Just to name a few of the recent players we didn't resign when they became free agents. There's a lot more if you want to go back to the entire Cowher era.

Lloyd
Kirkland
Troy Edwards
John Jackson
Charles Johnson
Barry Foster
Bam Morris
Ericc Pegram
Eric Greene
Mark Bruener
Neil Odonnel
Earl Holmes
Jason Gildon
Joel Steed

Others mentioned in this thread Faneca, Krieder... sorry St Pierre wasn't one of the great one. He's another great one though Rod Woodson.

So from this list let's determine who walked, and who got cut.

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
does not drafting Marino count?

BlackGold4vr
02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Antwan Randel EL
Plaxico Burress
Chris Hope
Clark Haggans
Joey Porter

Lloyd
Kirkland
Troy Edwards
John Jackson
Charles Johnson
Barry Foster
Bam Morris
Ericc Pegram
Eric Greene
Mark Bruener
Neil Odonnel
Earl Holmes
Jason Gildon
Joel Steed

No Chad Brown?

igor0190
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Kendrell Bell

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Bill Cowher....eeewww top that...lol

TampaSteelGirl
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Over at the www.thehogs.net ('Skin forum) I started a thread called BLOW IT UP! I would love to see our team cut loose some serious big money that isn't even producing in exchange for youth, enthusiasm, long-term cap relief, compensatory picks, and full drafts. To me, Pittsburgh is the best example of doing it right. So I'm mostly interested in "not resigned" although simple cuts are of interest as well. For instance, Portis would be a "cut" which would cost us 7.5 mil against the cap for 1 year while Springs (corner) would be a "not resign" saving 7 million. You guys seem to turn loose some REALLY BIG NAMES (Plax, Porter) virtually every year but you always seem young, fired up, and in the hunt.

DarthMonk

That's the thing I love about our organization...they don't spend the big bucks to get markee players..they would rather be patient and hunt for talent, mold and shape them into the amazing players they are today!! Patience is also a key part of it..everyone is in such a rush to get the big players and to be honest, you can get them and pay a dear price but if they don't have chemistry with the rest of the team..you've wasted your money!! Just how I see it.

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
That's the thing I love about our organization...they don't spend the big bucks to get markee players..they would rather be patient and hunt for talent, mold and shape them into the amazing players they are today!! Patience is also a key part of it..everyone is in such a rush to get the big players and to be honest, you can get them and pay a dear price but if they don't have chemistry with the rest of the team..you've wasted your money!! Just how I see it. Hey that worked for Dallas in the 90's. got them 3 rings. Also worked for the 49ers and those no good Debartolo mobsters. 5 rings. Not to mention all those NFC teams after 1983 until 1997 that kept winning SB's. But ours feels better....lol

Steelersfan
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Kevin Greene, Mark Bruener

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Kevin Greene, Mark Bruener
please...Franco Harris went to Seattle for his last year. top that...

Steelersfan
02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Mike Webster

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Mike WebsterWhere did he go? Besides the heaven of course.

Steelersfan
02-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Where did he go? Besides the heaven of course.

KC for a couple years.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Right on, there's lots more that you all mentioned that I didn't include in that initial list. Chad Brown was a big one for sure. Most on that list were guys that we just let walk as opposed to outright cutting them. When their contacts came due the Steelers knew when it was time to cut the ties and the majority of the time they have been right on the money.

Cowher I'd say you probably can't include too much mainly because he knew his time in Pittsburgh was done and he was pretty burnt out from the way it seemed to most of us. That was a mutual decision between both parties as much as it was the Rooney's really looking to go in another direction.

K Train
02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
and heres our current FAs....not exactly much elite talent on it

QB Charlie Batch UFA
QB Byron Leftwich UFA
TE Sean McHugh RFA
WR Nate Washington UFA
G Chris Kemoeatu UFA
T Willie Colon RFA
T Trai Essex UFA
T Max Starks UFA
T Marvel Smith UFA
DE Orpheus Roye UFA
LB Keyaron Fox UFA
LB Andre Frazier UFA
LB Arnold Harrison RFA
CB Fernando Bryant UFA
CB Anthony Madison RFA
CB Bryant McFadden UFA
S Anthony Smith RFA
P Mitch Berger UFA

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
We keep CB Bryant McFadden..The rest we can replace. Anyone think different?

K Train
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
i would say about 90% of those guys will be back if the steelers want them back, honestly mcfadden, leftwich, kemo and starks are the only ones that might get offers elsewhere that would make them walk. colon will be back and he doesnt really have a choice, id like fox back, leftwich hasnt ruled out a return, kemo should be easy, mcfadden is going to be the toughest one. its a shame but i think anthony smith has worn out his stay, and hes so ****ing talented it really is a shame

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I like Fox too. good special teams player. and he knows his roll, and does it. he's been a big reason for this team's success this year on coverage.

SteelCityMan786
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
A long-time old NFL and Redskins fan here who will always love the Curtain.

As a Redskins fan I'm sick to death of how our owner has handled things. :banging: The way you all do it is enviable. Can any of you point me to or simply provide a list of the big name talent you have let go over the past 5-10 years? I am aching for the 'Skins to adopt your far sighted attitude and would love to see an actual list of the people you have let go (maybe you could throw in a few of the picks you acquired by doing so and whom they became).

Congratulations on number 6. :yellowthumb: I am so glad I don't have to hear Cowgirl fan at work telling me they're tied for the most SB wins.

Thanks,

DarthMonk

They've unfortunately had their 5th ring for 14 years. Didn't take the Steelers that much longer after getting 5 for number 6.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
It's not just about letting "big name" players stay or go. If that's the owner's focus, please tell them to look at the Oakland Raiders. ;)

TampaSteelGirl
02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Sean Morey???

NCSteeler
02-04-2009, 10:19 AM
wow great job TG!

you could also add to your list:

Kreider
St. Pierre (sp?)

can't think of anymore right now...sorry

really, didn't he say something about great players. BSPs only quality is that he can remember our playbook for all his new teams.

--- Added 2/4/2009 at 09:19 AM ---

QB Charlie Batch UFA - he wants to be here and lieks being a backup, but age maybe his downfall
QB Byron Leftwich UFA - if he's willing do you put Batch out to keep him?
TE Sean McHugh RFA - a nice find I think we could keep him cheap
WR Nate Washington UFA - his repalcement has been drafted, love ya, but Bye bye
G Chris Kemoeatu UFA - likely will not get any big offers
T Willie Colon RFA - do any of our lineman deserve an offerfrom another team?
T Trai Essex UFA
T Max Starks UFA
T Marvel Smith UFA
DE Orpheus Roye UFA - too old, played well for us and may be cheap
LB Keyaron Fox UFA- gotta keep if you like our STs, plus he's learning the Lebeau ropes
LB Andre Frazier UFA- STs ace, comes cheap
LB Arnold Harrison RFA- Ditto
CB Fernando Bryant UFA - may keep if cheap enough
CB Anthony Madison RFA- another ST guy that plays well
CB Bryant McFadden UFA -would love to keep him, but he may draw big offers
S Anthony Smith RFA - bench rider down the stretch, seems to have played out his days
P Mitch Berger UFA - PLULeezzzz, Daniel please get healthy