PDA

View Full Version : OK, I have to ask again about our Defense.

Dean Denton
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Now that we have won the SB, and our Defense was #1 pretty much all season against the toughest schedule in 32 years, and they were statistically one of the best units in 76 years. I think top three...Where do you rank them all time? Do they stack up against the Steelers of the 70's? What about the 85 Bears? And of course 2001 and 2002 Bucs and Ravens.

Personally I rank them #1 all time. What they did was mind blowing and Dick should have been given team MVP.

NHStlrfan
02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Now that we have won the SB, and our Defense was #1 pretty much all season against the toughest schedule in 32 years, and they were statistically one of the best units in 76 years. I think top three...Where do you rank them all time? Do they stack up against the Steelers of the 70's? What about the 85 Bears? And of course 2001 and 2002 Bucs and Ravens.

Personally I rank them #1 all time. What they did was mind blowing and Dick should have been given team MVP.

This is always comes up. This isn't really a question with a simple answer because the times are different now. The Steelers of the 70's were and likely always be the best ever. There are a number of reasons. They were a unit with few changes in personell for 8 years. In 78 they had 5 shutouts.

The most telling of all is the fact that many of the rules we now have are the direct result of that defense being so dominant. Pass Interference, roughing the passer, in the grasp etc.... The Bears were great for a year and never repeated. The 70's Steelers did it for 8 years and 4 titles. That is likley never to happen again.

Steel Trap86
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
This is the best defense I've ever seen, nobody could match us all year. Now that we have won the Superbowl, this should go down as one of the all time great defenses ever and we're not going away anytime soon!

Dean Denton
02-02-2009, 03:40 PM
This is the best defense I've ever seen, nobody could match us all year. Now that we have won the Superbowl, this should go down as one of the all time great defenses ever and we're not going away anytime soon! Thats what I think too. This unit isn't going anywhere, and its their 2nd SB in four years. I think they could win 4 in eight years too. I have strong feeling they will. they should only get better. The only thing that will hurt them is getting hurt...lol

NHStlrfan
02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Thats what I think too. This unit isn't going anywhere, and its their 2nd SB in four years. I think they could win 4 in eight years too. I have strong feeling they will. they should only get better. The only thing that will hurt them is getting hurt...lol

Free agency and too many other factors will impact it. It would be better said that LeBeau is the best DC ever. He invented the zone blitz and most of the defensive tactics in use today. Having the inventor at the helm makes the players understand it better and therefor play better. They need to do this as a unit for a longer time with at least one more title before you crown them.

Dean Denton
02-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Free agency and too many other factors will impact it. It would be better said that LeBeau is the best DC ever. He invented the zone blitz and most of the defensive tactics in use today. Having the inventor at the helm makes the players understand it better and therefor play better. They need to do this as a unit for a longer time with at least one more title before you crown them.What players on Def are we in danger of losing over the next 3 or 4 seasons? As far as I know we have them all pretty much locked up. And if not I see us making sure we keep them. The bulk of our talent is signed on for a while.

$teelersRule
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Mcfadden won't be back and the dline is getting old. Other than that we should be good:yesnod:

NHStlrfan
02-02-2009, 04:14 PM
What players on Def are we in danger of losing over the next 3 or 4 seasons? As far as I know we have them all pretty much locked up. And if not I see us making sure we keep them. The bulk of our talent is signed on for a while.

It's not only free agency. Farrior has been there a long time. I think 11 years in the league. Aaron Smith has a number of years under his belt too. both are looking great still but time catches up real quick. Gay wasn't here 4 years ago. I don't recall all the rest but the faces have changed a lot more. That's my point. The 70's Steelers was Green, Greenwood, Lambert, Russell, Ham, Wagner, Blount, Shell, White, Holmes. All the same guys for most of the time. This defense will not be together for 8 years. It's just a matter of the time we live in. None of the contracts for any of them is that long. To do what the 70's Steelers D did they need to do it for another 4 years and win two more titles. Time will tell and believe me I hope you are right.

Zachintosh66
02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Mcfadden won't be back and the dline is getting old. Other than that we should be good:yesnod:

man i hope he doesnt go... but if they wanted to keep him they would have signed him already

Dean Denton
02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
man i hope he doesnt go... but if they wanted to keep him they would have signed him already
The core of this Def is staying, and the LB's are going to get better over the next couple years. We have been drafting for depth and will continue to do so. Losing our top CB will hurt though. But it wont break us. The expectation does not change. One guy goes down, one guy steps up. This is a new age of Steeler Nation.....

igor0190
02-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Losing Mcfadden depends on what other teams are willing to offer him. Take Randle El for example.. when Washington offered him $6 Mil a year, he knew and the Steelers knew he wasn't worth that and they couldn't re-sign him. Antwaan had very little choice when presented that kind of money. He had to leave. I would love to see the guy come back one day though. When he is done ripping off the Redskins.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
The way Tomlin uses the cover four with our D.B's, it really doesn't matter who the D.B's are, I would like to keep Mcfadden, but since he has two superbowl rings it might be to expensive, but i hear it's an D.B from Jackson state that runs an 4.2 forty so if we can't keep Mcfadden i would like to see him here:yesnod:

K Train
02-02-2009, 05:16 PM

mcfadden will be back and the dline isnt that old, the dline will be addressed....not really something to worry about imo, they will do what needs to be done

K Train
02-02-2009, 05:18 PM
The way Tomlin uses the cover four with our D.B's, it really doesn't matter who the D.B's are, I would like to keep Mcfadden, but since he has two superbowl rings it might be to expensive, but i hear it's an D.B from Jackson state that runs an 4.2 forty so if we can't keep Mcfadden i would like to see him here:yesnod:

that would be domonique johnson and hes ****ing nasty. 6-2 and runs a 4.4 flat.

Dean Denton
02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
that would be domonique johnson and hes ****ing nasty. 6-2 and runs a 4.4 flat.

So what do you think K Train? Where do you rank these guys on your all time list?

SteelerSteve
02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
This is the best defense I've ever seen, nobody could match us all year. Now that we have won the Superbowl, this should go down as one of the all time great defenses ever and we're not going away anytime soon!Our defense was definitley one of the best ever this year. Though, I thought they could have played better last night, they did force a couple of turnovers but Warner and Co. really did pick them apart, it seemed that they were leaving way too much open in the middle and playing too far back just to prevent the big play. I cant really complain though because that was one of the most badass, yet nail-biting last minute drives in a superbowl that I have ever seen. Go Steelers, and heres to number 6 :cope::cope::tt02::helmet::helmet:

igor0190
02-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Tomlin knows his personnel. He is a DB coach and will make the right decision on Mcfadden and if he's worth what he demands. If he's truly a Steeler he will take a hometown discount. Staying a Steeler is also in the best interest of his career. As long as we can make a reasonably offer.

Or DL has been fairly healthy over the years. Keisel, Hampton, and Smith still have several years in them. It's some of the OLD backups we have that need to be replaced with up and coming draft talent.

Adding a couple o-lineman is #1 priority. If we can get some road grading run blockers in there, then imagine what Mendenhall and Parker could do next year. That's a sick duo. With Mewelde on passing downs we have insane depth at RB.

K Train
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
So what do you think K Train? Where do you rank these guys on your all time list?

well i honestly think that the 70s steelers are the most overrated defense ever, i wasnt alive but offenses were weak back then and the defense was allowed to kick the **** out them, there was no free agency and once you get a group of guys together like that they can just beat the hell out of the opposition. now there is SOOOO many ****ing rules in the offenses favor, there is free agency and they are better athletes...it could go on and on with the arguing but its how i feel.

im saying they are better than the 2000 ravens...which is all that matters to me, **** the 2000 ravens, and **** the 2001-2008 ravens. steelers own them.

to be so stubborn against the run and make teams pass the ball on you, and still be #1 against the pass is special. this defense is special and has the pieces to be like that for years.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
This defense was better then the 2005 Super Bowl team.....I don't consider it the same defense......True many of the players are the same.....But Woodley/Harrison at OLB is a much better combo then Haggan/Porter....Porter was a badass and was huge for the 2005 team in the play-offs....But Harrison was the NFL DPOY and set season franchise record for sacks....Plus made one of the most memorable plays in Super Bowl history....Woodley is so much better the Haggans its not even funny.....

Then at FS I would give the edge to Ryan Clark over Chris Hope....Hope was a solid player and complimented Troy very well.....But so does Clark and he is the enforcer in this secondary.......

I would say Kemo and Brett Keisel are a push at DE.....

I don't know where this defense ranks all time in the history of the game.....Its so hard to compare different eras......Its up there with the best defenses that I have seen.....That 94 Blitzburgh D will also be partial to my heart though....I can't help that defense was also great and its shame they didn't get a ring.....

K Train
02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
guys like timmon and gay played a huge role in why this defense was so great. and mcfadden was alot more involved even though he was there as a rookie in 05. give me ike and mac outside and gay and townsend playing nickle and dime all day...that is nastiness

hemhorragingblk+gld
02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I love McFadden if only because he made two great plays against the Colts in 05 as a rookie. The two plays previous to the missed field goal he came up huge!!!!!!!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2009, 08:39 PM
guys like timmon and gay played a huge role in why this defense was so great. and mcfadden was alot more involved even though he was there as a rookie in 05. give me ike and mac outside and gay and townsend playing nickle and dime all day...that is nastiness

No doubt Timmons and Gay played huge roles this year.....I didn't mean to short change their contributions to this defense.....I was really just focusing on the starters on both units....McFadden to me was basically a starter even his rookie year.....Teams play so many coverage packages anymore that the 3rd corner is just like a starter in some regards.....Of course McFadden broke up a TD pass intended for Reggie Wayne in play-offs that I will never forget....

bleed black n gold
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
this is the best defense i have ever seen but i wasnt aroung to see the 85 bears d

Silverback
02-03-2009, 07:40 AM
I think the really amazing thing is that it only appears this unit is getting stronger. Next year I think we'll see the emergence of Lawrence Timmons into the best linebacking core in the league. I figure we may as well send all of them to Hawaii next year. O wait Florida.

Dean Denton
02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
this is the best defense i have ever seen but i wasnt aroung to see the 85 bears d
The 85 Bears had a great Def no doubt, but the were coupled with an explosive Off too. That makes a huge difference in what the Def can do when the Off scores like that. Not to mention an Off that was lead by Walter Payton. Over all that 85 Bears could be the best single season team ever. "TEAM" No SB winning team has had better stats then the 2008 Steelers. Not to mention that in todays football its geared more towards the Offensive side of the ball and that makes it even harder on a Defense. So what our guys did this year ranks in my mind as the best defensive proformance and the best over-all Defense of all time. Job well done fellas.....

Callax
02-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I think Mcfaddden is solid, but if someone offers him 6 million ayear, they are overpaying for a SOLID corner, not a great one. I think Gay might supplant him in a year or too. don't get me wrong.... I like Mcfadden, but he should resign for 2.5 to 4 million MAX a year
Pitt won't draft a 6'2" corner with 4.4 speed (not that they wouldn't LOVE to pair him with Ike) for 2 reasons...
1) He willnot last till the 32nd pick in the first round he'll be gone in top 15 picks..
2) OFFENSIVE LINE NEED HELP FAST AND NOW!!!!!
Too many penalties by both guards and center in superbowl Just reinforces the need to : draft guards guards guards!!