PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin vs The Whiz

Dean Denton
01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Now this is just something I have been thinking, and in no way am I trying to jinx us.

If the Steelers lose this SB do you think there will be a lot of trash talking about how the Rooney's made the wrong choice in Tomlin and should have gone with Ken? And would any of this trash talk come from any of my brothers and sisters here at SA?

ejsteeler
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Not from anyone intelligent. No way you can base a legitimate argument based on one game even if it is the SB. They have both done great jobs and nothing should be taken away from either of them regardless of the outcome. :imho:

LarryNJ
01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Ya I'm sure some people will say that, even when we do win. I'm not so sure wiz would have gotten the Steelers to this game. I believe the main reason we are here is because of Tomlins influence on the DB's.

yinzer
01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
i'm sure someone will say it

Dean Denton
01-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Ya I'm sure some people will say that, even when we do win. I'm not so sure wiz would have gotten the Steelers to this game. I believe the main reason we are here is because of Tomlins influence on the DB's.
Thats an excellent point LarryNJ. Our DB's have gotten better because of Tomlin..No doubt. I think our Offense would have been a lot better then what it has been all season though with Ken.

blackngold29
01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
People will likely say it, sure. But if I could go back in time and pick Tomlin or Whiz, I would pick Tomlin, not even close.

--- Added 1/30/2009 at 03:34 PM ---

Oh yeah, did anyone hear Tomlin's quote from a few days ago, "I'm still pissed we lost [the SB] last year!" Talk about going for it all.

Dean Denton
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
People will likely say it, sure. But if I could go back in time and pick Tomlin or Whiz, I would pick Tomlin, not even close.

--- Added 1/30/2009 at 03:34 PM ---

Oh yeah, did anyone hear Tomlin's quote from a few days ago, "I'm still pissed we lost [the SB] last year!" Talk about going for it all.
He said that? Thats great...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2009, 05:08 PM
There's always trash talking after the super bowl is over. We still hear the Seahawks griping about losing, we still hear Dallas fans saying we they should won the last time we played them in the 70's, we say we should have won super bowl XXX, it's just inevitable but make no mistake the Rooney's made the right choice in Tomlin.

Dean Denton
01-30-2009, 05:17 PM
There's always trash talking after the super bowl is over. We still hear the Seahawks griping about losing, we still hear Dallas fans saying we they should won the last time we played them in the 70's, we say we should have won super bowl XXX, it's just inevitable but make no mistake the Rooney's made the right choice in Tomlin.
So if we get out coached you still feel Tomlin is the right choice?

HUNT4SEVEN
01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Yep regardless if tomlin wins or lose, he has made an greater impact on our team as an whole, Then Whiz could of:yesnod: But he better win sunday:lol:

LarryNJ
01-30-2009, 05:46 PM
So if we get out coached you still feel Tomlin is the right choice?

No doubt! :) As I'm sure the Rooneys feel the same way. They wanted to start fresh. I forget who it was but they were interviewing someone from the 70's teams this week. He said Joe Green wanted the job when Cowher got it and Dan Rooney told him, he loved Joe Green and thought he would make a great coach but they wanted to start fresh and not have someone from the Noll staff. Wiz knew that was their philosophy and really had a slim chance at getting the job.

Biggest Fan
01-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I think its 'almost' a wash. I like the edge of this team and I think it has a lot to do with Tomlin. I think he and this team are a great fit. We would have done well with Wiz but I do not think it would be the same.

lakeeffectsnows
01-30-2009, 07:45 PM
You can bet ESPN and the Nfl channel will bring it up multiple times with multiple analysts.

Stlrs4Life
01-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Not from anyone intelligent. No way you can base a legitimate argument based on one game even if it is the SB. They have both done great jobs and nothing should be taken away from either of them regardless of the outcome. :imho:

:plus1::plus1:

Mark B.
01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Not only was Tomlin the right choice, he got the best available coaching job available that year. I can see the haters hating but the fact is that Tomlin was hired after Whiz took the AZ job.

Tomlin is a class act no doubt. I am partial because he is from my locality though! I credit the improvement in DB's to Tomlin as well LarryNJ. The Viking defense, and secondary in particular, were the flat out best in the league when he was the D Coordinator. I saw a potential Grimm or Whiz coaching era much like the Cowher days. Those were good days but we remember the problems. I particularly hated the fact that the offense seemed to lack a lot of pop late in games. It seemed like there was a reluctance to play younger players, remember Troy sat the bench early on. Timmons and Woodley did too but Woodley saw some great minutes his rookie year. It is good to see Sweed out there, it will be better when he catches the ball!

I like these Steelers under Tomlin. He seems smart enough to hire the right people, delegate them to positions that suit their strengths, and then trusts them to perform at a high level. It is evident with the players and the coaches. Tomlin is smart enough to deal with these media idiots who quit caring about the game and care about the scoop. What more can you ask? I doubt we will ever see a Tomlin meltdown the likes of Mora, Denny Green, Herm Edwards, and Mike Ditka.

On a side note guys, this was a good thread. I am always impressed with the high class of folks on this site. Thank God we have the Super Bowl to be talking about and such a high quality team from the Owners all the way to the Stadium Deck Plate folks. Let's kick some serious *** on Sun!

NHStlrfan
01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Yep regardless if tomlin wins or lose, he has made an greater impact on our team as an whole, Then Whiz could of:yesnod: But he better win sunday:lol:

I couldn't agree more! Tomlin is the right man for this job and this team. The real question should be should the Steelers front office hire themselves out to the rest of the NFL to interview their potential candidates? Just two years ago they had the choice of 2 SB coaches! NO ONE is talking about this! Dan Rooney was largely responsible for the Steelers of the 70's and now Art Jr is picking up the mantle. This has to be the biggest story that no one gets! The Steelers front office is hands down the best ever! Win or lose they picked the right guy and would have no matter which one they got. For my 2 cents Tomlin is better!