PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Ben Get A Pass?

PITT23
10-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I know he's had a rough offseason and maybe wasn't quite ready for the season but now he should be and he's still playing bad. If this was Kordell or Maddox he'd be kicked out of the city...why isn't Ben?

I don't understand this at all.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Ben absolutely gets no passes. If he's not up to the challenge then he needs to sit and let Batch play until he's ready because after that concussion last week he suffered a major setback. It's one thing to work through your difficulties but his bad play is a major contributor to us losing games. Nobody is questioning if he is our leader, our QB to lead us into the future, but he's clearly just had way too much happen this year and he's just flat out not playing well at all with any consistency.

Ben was on his way back after 2 great games the previous 2 weeks, then the concussion and its clear that Cowher should have put his butt on the bench as the emergency QB this week and let Batch play. Ben was getting killed all day long by the pass rush.

Koopa
10-29-2006, 07:57 PM
he has no pass from me, at my forum, i said i want to draft a new qb that isn't a fluke.......he's done

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 08:01 PM
I won't say he's a fluke, but he's clearly not performing at anywhere near where we need him to be !

PITT23
10-29-2006, 08:01 PM
But he's still playing and I doubt the media will get on his case too much because they want to kiss his ***.

AZ_Steeler
10-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Maybe he did push it to get back for this game :dunno: From looking at hsi stats he definitely had some cobwebs this week.

I think Ben gets the free pass becasue of eveything he went through in the off season!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 08:29 PM
IMO, Ben has been pushing all season. He's just not himself. The previous 2 games he was on fire and playing well..then the concussion and he was most definately out of it again.

He's been thru hell this year, there is no doubt, but Cowher needs to be the coach here and realize that Ben shouldn't have played today. The man just had a head injury for God sakes, that's nothing to play around with.

Steelersfan
10-29-2006, 08:30 PM
You should all be blaming BC on this one. We all know how Ben plays after an injury and we needed this game. But Cowher is too stubborn to change.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Wow I have been hard on Ben so far this year. But he isn't done. Should he get a pass? Hell no he shouldn't. As you know from some of my posts. I havn't gave Ben a pass at all. It was a selfish act to ride that motorcycle. I stick by that. But thats in the past and it really serves no point to relive the past.

Ben is the Steelers guy. You ride him through the good times and the bad times. The previous two games Ben looked like he was back. Today he didn't. I don't know but at this point we have to hope Ben just bounces back. Screw this year. I'm talking the long term.

Koopa
10-29-2006, 08:32 PM
You should all be blaming BC on this one. We all know how Ben plays after an injury and we needed this game. But Cowher is too stubborn to change.

that's why i can't stand him.....i know i wanted ben to play, but i'm a crazy fan, i'm not getting paid millions of dollars to make the right decissions....cowher is and ben should have sat out these next two weeks (the broncos are gonna eat him alive next week if he plays) batch would've won us this game....ben got knocked back into maddox mode last week.....cowher has to be fired, don't let him walk, fire his ***

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
I think we all blame BC for this one as much as we blame Ben. Cowher needs to be the coach here and sit Ben down in a case like this ! It's just not smart football when you have a great backup like Batch there who's healthy !

Black@Gold Forever32
10-29-2006, 08:35 PM

Dude I blame Bill Cowher alot for this season. People keep on saying I'm crazy for questioning Bill Cowhers heart this year. It seems he is already retired and just waiting to get this season over.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 08:36 PM
At this point we question everything...every coach, every player, every play call...there is nothing left to not question because everyone is at fault.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-29-2006, 09:04 PM
At this point we question everything...every coach, every player, every play call...there is nothing left to not question because everyone is at fault.

Why does this whole team look lost? I think alot of it is lack of leadership. We miss Jerome in this department. Then you have to look at the HC. He sure isn't a kind of a leader right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 09:14 PM
I question this entire team, the coaches, everyone as I mentioned. The coaches arent coaching well, the players aren't playing well, the team leaders aren't stepping up or if they are it's not working.

This team has ZERO identity right now.

SteelerFan87
10-29-2006, 09:48 PM
You know if it was Kordell, he would have been benched after the first quarter. So what is it? You bench Kordell so much you screw up his career, and then you refuse to bench Ben even if it costs you games that you desperately need?

I think Batch should have been in there, no question. It's nothing against Ben, because he's our franchise QB and has gone through alot injury-wise. But he was just not ready to play this game. He still threw for 300 yards, so it's obvious he has the skill. I think he was just still not ready to come back from the concussion, and that lead to mistakes. I think they should probably bench him for the rest of the season, see if we can do anything with Batch, but with the understanding that it's not because we're giving up on Ben, just that he's not physically or mentally ready to play at 100%.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Had Ben not had gotten that injury last week there'd be no question of if he should play or not...but at this point it's just one thing after another with him and the only remedy is time to heal. We can't play musical QB's, that's definatley not the answer but at the same time, BC has not been smart with Ben's injuries...I wanted Ben to play this week as much as anyone but not at the expense of costing us the game because he wasn't ready.

Koopa
10-29-2006, 09:59 PM
he threw over 400 yards if you count his completions to the other team and 3 tds if you count the td passes he threw to the other team, so he's good lol

Black@Gold Forever32
10-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Had Ben not had gotten that injury last week there'd be no question of if he should play or not...but at this point it's just one thing after another with him and the only remedy is time to heal. We can't play musical QB's, that's definatley not the answer but at the same time, BC has not been smart with Ben's injuries...I wanted Ben to play this week as much as anyone but not at the expense of costing us the game because he wasn't ready.

Don't you think Charlie Batch could have went out there and threw some INT's as well? I like Batch and he has played well when called upon. But the Raiders did have the number passing defense heading into this game I believe. Some of that is misleading since the Raiders have been trailing so much in games and teams didn't need to pass the pass the ball. All I'm saying the Raiders defense did play well today. Just giving the Raiders D some credit.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Koopa the eteranl optimist.. :chair: :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Don't you think Charlie Batch could have went out there and threw some INT's as well? I like Batch and he has played well when called upon. But the Raiders did have the number passing defense heading into this game I believe. Some of that is misleading since the Raiders have been trailing so much in games and teams didn't need to pass the pass the ball. All I'm saying the Raiders defense did play well today. Just giving the Raiders D some credit.

Maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't have, no one can say for sure..but it's clear Ben's decision making is far from good at this point and Batch should have been playing because of Ben just coming off a concussion. Charlie is far from perfect but he's more mobile than Ben is right now.

Yes the Raiders defense played well, they took advantage of everything we gave them.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't have, no one can say for sure..but it's clear Ben's decision making is far from good at this point and Batch should have been playing because of Ben just coming off a concussion. Charlie is far from perfect but he's more mobile than Ben is right now.

Yes the Raiders defense played well, they took advantage of everything we gave them.

Dude I just believe if Ben is cleared to play and if he is the Steelers guy. He has to start. Maybe Cowher should have yanked Ben after the third pick though. But you live and die with Big Ben. I just hope this season proves to be tough lesson for all that will be on this team next year and hope they come back focused.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I know we live and die with Ben..he is our guy that's what we drafted him for. I just don't think starting him no matter how good his tests came back this week were, it certainly wouldnt have hurt to give him a week to make sure. Maybe Batch would have been better maybe not, but he certainly couldnt have been any worse.

BBC
10-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Please, do not ever compare Ben to Tommy Maddox again.

Why he has gotten a 'pass' this season?

I don't know, maybe it was those two concussions in just 4 months. Maybe it was that appendectomy that was in between those two concussions.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's because he was the first quarterback to win us a Super Bowl since Terry Bradshaw.

Have a little faith, if Ben has shown anything it's that he always comes back from an injury with rust, but is able to knock it off and be back into form in a week or so.

Koopa
10-29-2006, 11:17 PM
all i know is it will be or so, cause next week the broncos d will eat him a live

SteelerFan87
10-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I think you've got to give some props to the Raiders D. They out-muscled our offensive line, and shut down the run.

But no, I don't think Batch throws all those INTs. I mean the one in the endzone was just plain stupid. It's the 2nd time Ben's forced a ball into triple coverage in the endzone. Batch wouldn't make that throw. And just listening to Ben, there were times he just wasn't seeing guys. I can only think that had to have been caused by his concussion.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Please, do not ever compare Ben to Tommy Maddox again.

Why he has gotten a 'pass' this season?

I don't know, maybe it was those two concussions in just 4 months. Maybe it was that appendectomy that was in between those two concussions.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's because he was the first quarterback to win us a Super Bowl since Terry Bradshaw.

Have a little faith, if Ben has shown anything it's that he always comes back from an injury with rust, but is able to knock it off and be back into form in a week or so.

It's one thing to come back off an injury with some rust, but we're talking a concussion here and you could see that it wasnt rust this weekend because he shook that off the previous too weaks. It was just flat out poor decision making, staring down his WR's, holding onto the ball too long, taking sacks, not throwing it away, etc.

If this were back in week 1 I wouldnt be nearly as concerned but we're now 2-5 and we're quickly running out of time and excuses to make another comeback.

BBC
10-29-2006, 11:44 PM
It's one thing to come back off an injury with some rust, but we're talking a concussion here and you could see that it wasnt rust this weekend because he shook that off the previous too weaks. It was just flat out poor decision making, staring down his WR's, holding onto the ball too long, taking sacks, not throwing it away, etc.

He had a new injury since the previous two weeks. It's hard to come back after a concussion. He didn't have a full week of practice had some (okay, more than some) rust. Hopefully he knocks it all off for this Sunday.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 12:04 AM
He had a new injury since the previous two weeks. It's hard to come back after a concussion. He didn't have a full week of practice had some (okay, more than some) rust. Hopefully he knocks it all off for this Sunday.

I agree BBC I think the concussion played a big part today in Ben's performance. But I also thought since he was cleared to play then he should start. No point in second guessing at this point. It would serve no purpose. The only I'm looking forward the rest of the way. Is Ben finishing the year strong and seeing some of the young players develop. I just think at 2-5 the playoffs are pretty much out of the question. Crazier things have happened in the past in the NFL. But it would take a miracle right now for the Steelers to make the playoffs.

SteelerFan87
10-30-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't think it was rust, just the effects of his concussion. Either way, hopefully he'll recover for next week. And actually, if we beat the Broncos, this loss is easily forgotten, and there is hope once again.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2006, 12:14 AM
I agree, I don't think it was rust and the concussion had everything to do with his performance this week. Cleared to play or not I just think BC should have made the decision to let him sit this one week.

I agree Ben is our best chance to win, when he's healthy, but this week and this whole year he hasn't been healthy very often. Batch would have given us a good chance to win too..but you're correct 2nd guessing does no good and just pisses us off even more. What's done is done, and we have to look forward to finishing strong and seeing what happens.

Steelerlyn
10-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Dude I just believe if Ben is cleared to play and if he is the Steelers guy. He has to start. Maybe Cowher should have yanked Ben after the third pick though. But you live and die with Big Ben. I just hope this season proves to be tough lesson for all that will be on this team next year and hope they come back focused.

I completely agree with you. Ben was cleared to play by the medical team and he is our #1 field general, so he should have started. But at the very latest, half time, Charlie should have been sent in. I just fail to understand whomever does or does not make the approiate adjustments. Off the top of my head, I can remember Kordell Stewart being left in a game time after time, to lose the game, I can remember as recently as last season when Tommy Maddox was left in the entire Jacksonville game. I was at that game and if anyone had told me we were going to the superbowl last season I would have stopped crying long enough to laugh in their face.

Adjustments are not being made now and they have never been made, it is as though BC has the idea, it is my way or the highway, even when it is clear to the fans that whomever he has in there just ain't gettin' it done.

I was born a Steeler fan and I will die a Steeler fan. I love what Bill Cowher has done for the Steelers and for Pittsburgh he is an awesome man and his coaching record speaks volumns for itself.

Maybe what happened today (which did not surprise me) will help the Steelers in the long run. Hang in there.

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Hawk Believer
10-30-2006, 01:06 AM
It seemed like poor taste to bring this subject up last week right after Ben took that hit. But I heard Chris Nowinski interviewed and promoting his book that is linked to below. The book is about concussions and football. He seems to really be on a mission to get brain injuries treated more seriously in all levels of football. He presented some pretty convincing evidence that concussions are a much bigger problem for football than anyone wants to admit. Anyway, the link is here for those who are interested.

http://www.concussioncrisis.com/

Click on the "Myths" link at the bottom for some quick, interesting statements.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2006, 01:10 AM
They are absolutely a much bigger issue than the NFL appears to treat it as. So many players get them all the time and it's ended many a great player's career.

I believe and trust our medical teams judgement, but having said that its' become more apparent that while Ben may have been ok to play physically that he wasnt emotionally. But thats just my :2cents:

SteelersFire
10-30-2006, 10:07 AM
I agree, I don't think it was rust and the concussion had everything to do with his performance this week. Cleared to play or not I just think BC should have made the decision to let him sit this one week.

I agree Ben is our best chance to win, when he's healthy, but this week and this whole year he hasn't been healthy very often. ...

Bingo. This game should've been a walk through. Put Ben in to start if you must, but win the damn game. Ben should've been yanked after the first quarter. And the truth is, this isn't the first time he's been left in when he wasn't well. I've always questioned his consistency and ability to make good decisions under pressure, but when the dude's off, he's so far off that even an idiot would sacrifice Ben's precious rep to save the game.

SteelerFan87
10-30-2006, 12:48 PM
I noticed Ben has one of those older, normal helmets. Why doesn't he have one like Batch? Aren't those supposed to provide more protection against concussions?

Friday133
10-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I noticed Ben has one of those older, normal helmets. Why doesn't he have one like Batch? Aren't those supposed to provide more protection against concussions?

he tried it in the offseason and didn't like the way it fit on his head. there were a few articles about it at the time.

IMO ben wasn't pulled because frankly cowher doesn't care anymore.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 01:12 PM
he tried it in the offseason and didn't like the way it fit on his head. there were a few articles about it at the time.

IMO ben wasn't pulled because frankly cowher doesn't care anymore.

Dude I have to agree and I have said many times. Bill Cowher doesn't care. You can tell on the sidelines. Look at the stupid penalties by Foote and Porter yesterday. Look at Cedric Wilson screaming at the ref yesterday after he made that catch and the ref said it was incomplete. I know Wilson was upset. But you can't carry on like that. Bill Cowher has lost this team. Actually I believe he lost this team years ago. The only difference we had Jerome's leadership and I think deep down this team really wanted to win it all for Jerome.

Coaches don't stay long in the same city anymore in pro sports. After awhile the players get tired of hearing the same message over and over again. I say thanks Bill Cowher for all that you did for the Steelers organization and the city of Pittsburgh. But get the **** out.

Prosdo
10-30-2006, 02:46 PM
You know what really burns me on the subject of Ben. Yesterday as I was watching the game people were calling for us to get rid of Ben. Even after the game. I'm not saying anyone on here is doing it, but people calling for Ben's head because he had one bad season especially after all he has been through just pisses me off. Ben gets no passes at all. He played bad.

Prosdo
10-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Dude I have to agree and I have said many times. Bill Cowher doesn't care. You can tell on the sidelines. Look at the stupid penalties by Foote and Porter yesterday. Look at Cedric Wilson screaming at the ref yesterday after he made that catch and the ref said it was incomplete. I know Wilson was upset. But you can't carry on like that. Bill Cowher has lost this team. Actually I believe he lost this team years ago. The only difference we had Jerome's leadership and I think deep down this team really wanted to win it all for Jerome.

I agree with you to a point. I think Bill Cowher use to have a fire under him and he was able to pump these guys up. It seems that fire went out. Watching him on the sidelines he isn't the same old BC. I believe he retires after this season.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2006, 03:27 PM
BC has lost control of this team, that much is evident. It shows on the field every week.

I don't think its fair to say Ben doesn't care, or that we should be calling for his head and drafting another QB. Yes he's having a bad season and you can make a case for him needing to sit right now and chill for a bit and let Batch play..but Ben is our guy for the future, that much is certain, this is not his year and he is far from healthy.