PDA

View Full Version : Sweed Is Going To Be Fine

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Limas Sweed isn't popular among the Steelers Nation these days....But this article does point out that Sweed has the right attitude and work ethic to be a good player....Ktrain, and others have just stated that all Sweed needs is reps.....Which I agree with and I think Limas might just make some plays in the Super Bowl and show us all next season why this team drafted him in the second round.....I really like how Ben and Hines still supported Sweed even after his big drop.....That is what makes this team so special......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09024/944278-13.stm

Sweed not lacking motivation

Much will motivate Steelers rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed at Super Bowl XLIII. The chance to win a world championship and a prized ring. The chance to show people again that he's not a bum after that ridiculous dropped pass Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens and a season of next-to-nothing production. And, most important, the chance to convince coach Mike Tomlin that he deserves a roster spot next season, a spot that seems anything but guaranteed despite the fact he's a No. 2 draft choice and a big-money guy.
But getting to the White House to meet the president? That isn't high on Sweed's motivational list.
Been there, done that.
"We went after we won the national championship at Texas [in 2005]," Sweed said this week.
President George Bush -- once the governor of Texas and a huge Longhorns fan -- welcomed the team a few weeks after it beat Southern California in the Rose Bowl.
"I started to introduce myself when I shook his hand and he said, 'You don't have to tell me who you are. I know you.' " Sweed said, obviously pleased with the memory.
Is it just me or does everyone seem to know Sweed's name these days? I'm guessing even the new president has heard of him. You might have read on these pages that Barack Obama is a Steelers fan. How could he not know Sweed after that drop against the Ravens?
Steelers fans never would have forgiven the kid if the team had lost the AFC championship game. Many will hold their breath if quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throws the ball to him in the Super Bowl. Sweed will have to play a lot as the third receiver against the Arizona Cardinals if Hines Ward's right knee doesn't hold up.
"I'll be ready, definitely," Sweed said.
That makes one of us who is confident.
It's hard to feel good about Sweed playing a big part in the big game, although -- give him credit -- he showed something by bouncing back against the Ravens after the drop that would have given the Steelers a 20-7 lead late in the second quarter. Not immediately, of course. Unconscionably, he felt sorry for himself and stayed down on the grass, as if hurt, costing the team a timeout it desperately needed when it didn't have time to kick a field goal at the end of the half. But, a few plays later, he drilled cornerback Corey Ivy with a vicious block that earned a wink and a thumbs up from noted blocking monster Ward, who had to sit out the second half after his knee was sprained.
"Guys saw that and told me, 'Man, you must have really been ticked [after the drop],' " Sweed said.
Ticked probably isn't the right word.
"I felt like I let the team down," Sweed said. "You see guys everywhere on this team pulling their weight. I like to put my hand in the pile, too. That's what coach Tomlin always says, 'Put your hand in the pile. Do your part.' "
Sweed did again early in the fourth quarter, catching a 14-yard pass on third-and-8 from the Steelers' 14. The real surprise wasn't that he hung on to the ball despite a lick from cornerback Frank Walker. It was that Roethlisberger had enough faith to throw to him in another big spot.
"I knew Ben would. He told me right away, 'I'm coming right back to you,' " Sweed said.
"All the guys were supportive. Hines told me, 'I've dropped balls, too. What's important is how you respond. Get past it. Catch the next ball.' "
Tomlin also had a brief message.
" 'Just play, son. Just play,' " Sweed recalled.
Sound advice.
Sweed would be wise to follow up on it.
He has a lot at stake in the Super Bowl, maybe more than he realizes.
There's no doubt Sweed's draft status and four-year, $3.3 million contract -- including a $1.56 million signing bonus -- bought him a pass this season. It certainly wasn't his performance. He was inactive for the first four games and didn't play in the fifth, then had a total of six catches for 64 yards in the final 11 games.
One reason was a lack of snaps. "Man, this is such a stacked team," Sweed said. "I had no idea when I was drafted that it was this stacked."
But a bigger reason is Sweed did little with his opportunities. Even in practice, he dropped far too many balls.
That's why the Super Bowl is so important to Sweed, not to mention the exhibition season next summer. Tomlin and the Steelers won't be patient with him forever. The organization has shown on occasion that it's willing to cut a big-ticket player. Remember 1991 No. 1 draft choice Huey Richardson, who was released before the '92 season?
The Steelers have had mixed success with second-rounders in the past 20 years. Right now, it's hard to think of Sweed in the same company with LaMarr Woodley, Marvel Smith, Levon Kirkland and Dermontti Dawson. It's much easier to see him with Alonzo Jackson, Scott Shields, Jeremy Staat and Kenny Davidson.
Sweed begged to differ.
"I can help this team, without a doubt. It's just a matter of time. It's a matter of getting reps and rolling with it ...
"[The Baltimore game] was big for me. I finally got some quality minutes. That's going to make me come back and work harder for the next game. It's going to make me work harder for next season.
"I'm going to be a better player."
Or gone.
Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com.

DIESELMAN
01-25-2009, 02:48 PM
He definitely did not fold after he dropped that pass. That was a key moment in the career of Sweed, how he would react after the dropped pass. He came through all right...Big time!! He has a lot of talent and promise, he'll be just fine in his career as a Steeler.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-25-2009, 02:56 PM
We all saw it on replay a billion times.. he took his eyes WAY off the ball. Its not like he is doing everything right and still cant catch he ball. With Reps, Bens patience and confidence and a good foot in his *** from guys like mike and hines this kid will be great. I mean really he blew by the BAL defender on that play... he has some serious untapped talent!!!

Thomas_43
01-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Sweed will be a solid wr for this team and in this league. Time will show that.

TampaSteelGirl
01-25-2009, 03:02 PM
How can he be considered a bum? THe kids just got drafted and hasn't even played much. He's got to learn just like Santonio did. He's gonna be a great receiver just like Santonio with time and help fromhis teammates. :tt02:

I felt bad for him when he dropped that pass and yes he did certainly take his eyes off the ball but i'll be he won't make that mistake again. I see him making that pass in the Super Bowl!!:clap:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2009, 03:06 PM
We all saw it on replay a billion times.. he took his eyes WAY off the ball. Its not like he is doing everything right and still cant catch he ball. With Reps, Bens patience and confidence and a good foot in his *** from guys like mike and hines this kid will be great. I mean really he blew by the BAL defender on that play... he has some serious untapped talent!!!

Ok do the Steelers resign Nate Washington?....If they do then with Nate as the number 3 again will limit Sweed's reps again next year which will continue to stunt his growth as a WR....I like Nate but the team invested a second round pick in Sweed........Another problem is with Ward's age there isn't alot of depth at our WR core.....So letting go an experienced WR that knows our offense like Nate wouldn't be wise......

K Train
01-25-2009, 03:11 PM
key word....quality minutes, thats all it takes and that was well put. im not worried about him, not even a little bit

HUNT4SEVEN
01-25-2009, 04:18 PM
He definitely did not fold after he dropped that pass. That was a key moment in the career of Sweed, how he would react after the dropped pass. He came through all right...Big time!! He has a lot of talent and promise, he'll be just fine in his career as a Steeler.

Dito:yellowthumb:

K Train
01-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Ok do the Steelers resign Nate Washington?....If they do then with Nate as the number 3 again will limit Sweed's reps again next year which will continue to stunt his growth as a WR....I like Nate but the team invested a second round pick in Sweed........Another problem is with Ward's age there isn't alot of depth at our WR core.....So letting go an experienced WR that knows our offense like Nate wouldn't be wise......

i have a feeling that a few teams like the bears are gonna be making a push for nate if he hits the open market, which pisses me off cause we put alot of work into the guy lol. i do think he will be back though just because hes not exactly an elite FA, we should be able to resign him before anyone can make him an offer, he wont be that expensive. That being said, as sweed gets these reps and "quality minutes" he has all the tools to leave nate in the dust, all nate has on him right now is expereience and that wont take much to change

TEEMONT
01-25-2009, 04:34 PM
reps are overated....dude has been getting reps his whole life....bottom line...u get paid millions to catch a ball....****ing catch it....

a block does not redeem him in my eyes....catch a TD in the SB....then he'll be worth a ****

BlackGold4vr
01-25-2009, 04:36 PM
The year is 1974

The first round draft pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers catches "0" passes in the superbowl.

Matter of fact this rookie only caught 11 passes the entire season.

Sure glad the Steelers didn't give up on Lynn Swann who went on to play his way into the pro football hall of fame.

Patience people, patience. :yesnod:

K Train
01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
reps are overated....dude has been getting reps his whole life....bottom line...u get paid millions to catch a ball....****ing catch it....

a block does not redeem him in my eyes....catch a TD in the SB....then he'll be worth a ****

bullshit. if we needed him from day one and threw his *** out there in the first game he would be alot further along now, all hes been doing this season is clean up garbage time. last week was his first game, the first time he wasnt coming in off the bench ice cold. the block was nothing, it was just vicious, heath didnt really benefit from it at all. breaking up that pick in the endzone and catching that one on 3rd down made up for the drop, he came though when we needed him to most and these 2 weeks of practice will have him more ready than ever

steelcitysfinestXL
01-25-2009, 04:44 PM

You pretty much touched on it BnG... Ward may walk after this season if all goes well next weekend. Doubtful, but we could set ourselves up well if we locked up Nate. Him Sweed and Holmes would make one hell of a trio if it all pans out. Nate and B-Mac should be top priorities this spring!

--- Added 1/25/2009 at 03:44 PM ---

bullshit. if we needed him from day one and threw his *** out there in the first game he would be alot further along now, all hes been doing this season is clean up garbage time. last week was his first game, the first time he wasnt coming in off the bench ice cold. the block was nothing, it was just vicious, heath didnt really benefit from it at all. breaking up that pick in the endzone and catching that one on 3rd down made up for the drop, he came though when we needed him to most and these 2 weeks of practice will have him more ready than ever

:plus1: Dude needs quality game reps. He's the number 4 wr on a superbowl team. Appearantly he isnt hurting us taking up a roster spot. Once he builds a lil confidence and establishes his great work ethic we hear so much about, he should see the field alot more. All that said im still gonna cuss his *** out everyime he make mental error, that doesnt make him a bum... just a rookie

steelers4life66
01-25-2009, 04:51 PM
I think your going to see a lot of Sweed next year. It's going to be a sink or swim thing.:2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2009, 05:34 PM
i have a feeling that a few teams like the bears are gonna be making a push for nate if he hits the open market, which pisses me off cause we put alot of work into the guy lol. i do think he will be back though just because hes not exactly an elite FA, we should be able to resign him before anyone can make him an offer, he wont be that expensive. That being said, as sweed gets these reps and "quality minutes" he has all the tools to leave nate in the dust, all nate has on him right now is expereience and that wont take much to change

If the Steelers want Nate back then I would think he will be back.....I'm all for Nate being resigned but I really want Limas Sweed to get the playing time to develop.....I also want Hines Ward back but he should rework his contract to remain with the team....I just wouldn't feel comfortable with this WR core without Ward yet....But if Ward doesn't take that pay cut then I don't think he will be worth his cap number.....I can't remember but is Ward's cap number around 9 million next year? I do think Ward will rework his contract to remain with the team.......This team still needs Ward's leadership and I think a couple more years with Ward working with Sweed would be a big help in Sweed's development......

One last point if Nate isn't resigned then a WR must be taken sometime in this upcoming draft......Going into 2009 with an aging Ward, Holmes, and a still developing Sweed would be a bit of a concern......

--- Added 1/25/2009 at 04:34 PM ---

Mark it down Tee, Sweed will have 3 catches for 75 yards in the Super Bowl with a TD.....The TD will be a 40+ yard bomb from Ben.....

K Train
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
im not trying to predict his stats but i do expect him to get some work, i dont think ward is gonna be as ready as he makes everyone think, but hell make the cards prepare for ward

BlackGold4vr
01-25-2009, 05:44 PM
One last point if Nate isn't resigned then a WR must be taken sometime in this upcoming draft......Going into 2009 with an aging Ward, Holmes, and a still developing Sweed would be a bit of a concern......

Ramses Barden in round 2. Currently projected around pick #66

Barden has been a handful for every team he faced this year. Consider that Barden came in Saturday with 55 receptions, over 1,000 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns, including a touchdown in every game and one in 30 of 44 career games.

At 6-foot-6, 227 pounds Barden is a receiver who is hard to miss. To put his size into perspective, consider the fact that by comparison, Terrell Owens is 6-foot-3 and 218 pounds while Larry Fitzgerald is 6-foot-3 and weighs-in at 220 pounds.

We could use another big receiver who gives opponents matchup problems. :thinking:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Ramses Barden in round 2. Currently projected around pick #66

We could use another big receiver who gives opponents matchup problems. :thinking:

Yea I know about Ramses Barden and I have been tracking him......I don't know if I would take him in the 2nd round.....I think there is also bigger needs then WR in the 2nd round.....I think drafting a WR that can serve as a kick returner is the ideal way to go....Mike Thomas from Arizona might be small but he is fast and is a big play guy......He also can return kicks....I also like Jarrett Dillard from Rice.....I think he can be a Wes Welker type of move the chains on under neath routes WR.......But I wouldn't be against the Steelers drafting Ramses Barden....The kid is talented....

BlackGold4vr
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm just thinking about how nice it would be to have Holmes - Sweed - Barden
lined up on those 3 receiver sets. Who you gonna double? Oops! You forgot about Heath Miller. :lol:

I would also like to see the Steelers sign Hines Ward as a WR coach when he is done playing. He plays the position like Steeler fans have grown accustomed to and could teach it to our young guys.

Thomas_43
01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I would also like to see the Steelers sign Hines Ward as a WR coach when he is done playing. He plays the position like Steeler fans have grown accustomed to and could teach it to our young guys.

I agree with that. I think Ward would be a great mentor for Sweed, and anyone else we draft along the way.

K Train
01-25-2009, 06:34 PM
yeah like ward would take assistant coach money after making all that money as a player, hes got a smile for television lol

popstaala
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
sweed will be the next randy moss... he got the speed and height but he needs to catch the ball... maybe nexr year after some time working with ward

steelcityrockers
01-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Next Randy Moss? You ****in crazy, man, you crazy.

TEEMONT
01-25-2009, 11:02 PM

Dude, I don't care if he had gotten a million reps by now, or 12 like he did, there is no way he should have dropped that HUGE pass in the AFCCG. He's supposedly got this pedigree that you all drool over, and he drops the biggest catch of his life. he has been getting reps in practice all year, do you really think two more weeks is going to make a difference? If he catches more than 2 passes in the SB I will be thoroughly surprised, and will be the first to admit I'm wrong.

I think Hines is gonna be about 80%, I'll take an 80% Hines over a 100% Sweed any day of the week.

JensK
01-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Atm, obviously id take Hines over Sweed, but Sweed is going to be huge whenever he gets reps. He did drop that ball yes, and he should'nt, but everyone drops passes. Sweed was just stupid to drop just that pass.

K Train
01-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Dude, I don't care if he had gotten a million reps by now, or 12 like he did, there is no way he should have dropped that HUGE pass in the AFCCG. He's supposedly got this pedigree that you all drool over, and he drops the biggest catch of his life. he has been getting reps in practice all year, do you really think two more weeks is going to make a difference? If he catches more than 2 passes in the SB I will be thoroughly surprised, and will be the first to admit I'm wrong.

I think Hines is gonna be about 80%, I'll take an 80% Hines over a 100% Sweed any day of the week.

game reps are way different than 2nd string practice reps. if you'll take an 80% ward all day, you are probably willing to take a loss as well. I dont know how someone who defends willie parker with their life can be hating on sweed so much, parker wasnt **** until he was thrown into the fire and asked to produce, and parker has reached his ceiling, sweed isnt even close to reaching his potential. i think he'll be a game changer on sunday

ToothAche
01-26-2009, 10:27 AM
With Sweed on the field this Sunday, it will take away some coverage off Holmes, Ward, and Washington. If we are in a four-wide set there's a good chance we are in a situation where we really need a catch. Going to Sweed could be our best option considering our other three will be blanketed. If Ben has confidence in Limas, he could be our best weapon.

BR7
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I hope your right K, but I'm on the fence. I think the big game nerves he will have might produce what we've seen in the past with his dropsies. He botched that toss that Lefty fired in there as well vs the Titans. He can't catch the wide open ones. Until proven otherwise, high ceiling or not.. right now he's a faster, taller Cedric Wilson, lol.

K Train
01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
even cedric wilson came up big for us once in a while lol

he knows how big of a deal that drop was, he knows what hes gotta do, the team including ben are on his side. hes gonna be out there on sports biggest stage and be itching to make a big play to clear his name. hes played in a NC before and he dominated. im not saying hes gonna dominate but i do really think that he comes up big for us before would let us down again

LatrobePA
01-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Sweed will be called on a lot this game, Ward will be limited.....I said it if we win it'll be someone we least expect that comes up big!!

BR7
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
If Stapleton doens't false start five times, that will be bigger than anything Sweed will do, lol.

SteelersWoman
01-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Willie Colon also needs to stop with the penalties--he's lost us quite a few yards this season (not to mention momentum)...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM

Pedigree?.......2nd round picks have pedigree?.....I think most and maybe all would agree yes Limas Sweed should have caught the ball......But he is showing he still has confidence and is going to work hard......He also showed in the AFC title game after the drop that he make a key block, break up an INT, and make a catch on third down for a first down.....I think Sweed showing that at least he can rebound and make plays is better then him going in the tank and sulking......

I agree I would take an 80 percent Hines to and we all know Hines can produce when he isn't 100 percent.....But I'm not ready to give up on Limas Sweed.........

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I think dropping that sure TD and realizing it could have cost us the game potentially speaking of course, could have been the best thing for Sweed. It was a wake up call for him, a realization that he's a rookie with the opportunity to play for a super bowl title. Your team is depending on you to make plays and when you don't you let everyone down. He could have curled up in his shell but he came back fighting. I look for him to have a solid game next Sunday for us.