PDA

View Full Version : What's with Gerela?

sixbeamers
01-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Being new to the Steeler Addicts site, I'm wondering what the furor is about Roy Gerela, the Canadian-born kicker who won three Super Bowls with Pittsburgh in the 1980s?
Why is the man a relevant topic of discussion? He's 60 years old and hasn't played for the Steelers since 1979.
By the way, Ted's brother, Roy Gerela, was a kicker with the B.C. Lions of the Canadian Football League for many years. The Gerelas hail from British Columbia, where current Steelers punter Mitch Berger was born in June, 1972. Berger grew up in the Vancouver suburb of North Delta. He owns a number of restaurants and bars in the Vancouver-Whistler area, including Players Chop House, outside of B.C. Place Stadium (site of the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics). Players Chop House is introducing a new menu item -- one time only -- on Super Bowl Sunday -- the Super Mitch Berger (that's the way they're spelling it). It's two 8-oz. patties of hand ground prime beef, plus sauteed mushrooms, Canadian back bacon, cheddar cheese and Mitch's special mayo (tomato compote, mayonnaise and dijon mustard).
Ted Gerela's brother, Roy, e-mailed me today and suggested I should write a story on his brother, who is now an assistant coach at New Mexico State, handling kickers.
I would appreciate hearing from Steeler fans who have an anecdote they could add about Ted Gerela and why they think he might be of interest to Vancouver Sun readers, 30 years after he last played for the Steelers?
Hope to hear from you, Steeler fans!
Cheers,
Mike Beamish
The Vancouver Sun
email: sixbeamers@aol.com

P.S. By the way, Mitch Berger's dad, Don Berger, was born in Homestead, Pa., and grew up in the borough of Whitaker, in the Pittsburgh metro area. He met his wife in Canada while he was a member of the U.S. Air Force, stationed at a NORAD radar base in northwestern Ontario. The family has lived in Canada since 1960, which is why Mitch holds dual citizenship. He wasn't recruited after high school and went to Tyler Junior College in Texas before he was picked up the University of Colorado Buffaloes. Berger was drafted in the sixth round of the 1994 NFL draft by the Philadelphia Eagles. The Steelers are his ninth NFL team. The Cardinals were his eighth, just last season.

ToothAche
01-23-2009, 11:23 PM
umm.....thanks

NOVA STEELERS
01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
:welcome: enjoy the site :cope:

ejsteeler
01-24-2009, 09:14 PM
:scratch:

AZ_Steeler
01-25-2009, 02:24 AM
I'm assuming you are saying "Hi I'm new! What's up with this post (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12167)?" :bigthumb:

:welcome:

PsychoWard
01-25-2009, 10:15 AM
:sup: and :welcome:

WoodsonsGirl
01-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Welcome to SA!

LarryNJ
01-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I would appreciate hearing from Steeler fans who have an anecdote they could add about Ted Gerela and why they think he might be of interest to Vancouver Sun readers, 30 years after he last played for the Steelers?

I've been watching the Steelers since 1972 and I don't remember a Ted Gerela ever playing for the Steelers. ;)

KSSteelerfan
01-25-2009, 11:29 PM
:welcome: