PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper's 1st round...

MDSteel15
01-22-2009, 10:57 PM
1 Detroit - Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
2 St. Louis - Andre Smith OT Alabama
3 Kansas City - Mark Sanchez QB USC
4 Seattle - Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland - Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
6 Cincinnati - Jason Smith OT Baylor
7 Oakland - Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
8 Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
9 Green Bay - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.
10 San Francisco - Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn St.
11 Buffalo - Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St.
12 Denver - B.J. Raji DT Boston College
13 Washington - Brian Orakpo DE Texas
14 New Orleans - Vontae Davis CB Illinois
15 Houston - Everette Brown DE Florida St.
16 San Diego - Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
17 New York Jets - Percy Harvin WR Florida
18 Chicago - Tyson Jackson DE LSU
19 Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman QB Kansas St.
20 Detroit (from Dallas) - Rey Maualuga LB USC
21 Philadelphia - Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St.
22 Minnesota - Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
23 New England - Brian Cushing LB USC
24 Atlanta - Larry English DE/OLB No. Illinois
25 Miami - Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland
26 Baltimore - D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt
27 Indianapolis - Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) - Michael Oher OT Mississippi
29 New York Giants - James Laurinaitis LB Ohio St.
30 Tennessee - Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
31 Arizona - LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh
32 Pittsburgh - Alex Mack C California

K Train
01-22-2009, 11:30 PM
oher at 28 my ***

stLlRfn14
01-22-2009, 11:30 PM
You know whats funny about kipers first round? Everything! He has stafford going to the lions event tho they already said they arent taking a QB. And alex mack falling that far down would be a miracle. :lol::clap:

JensK
01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Id totaly go for it though if he went all the way down there. We need a center at some point.. May aswell adress it sooner than later.

jpele
01-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I'd love to see Mack in Black & Gold. The reports on him are pretty good.

ToothAche
01-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Mel Kiper has the easiest job on the planet, just puts well known college player's names on a list next to a team's names and ESPN hypes it up every. He's like a weather man, if his report is wrong today, wait til the next day.

I would love to have Mack though

BlackGold4vr
01-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Mel Kiper has the easiest job on the planet, just puts well known college player's names on a list next to a team's names and ESPN hypes it up every. He's like a weather man, if his report is wrong today, wait til the next day.

I would love to have Mack though

:plus1:

Yes, Mack could turn out to be a great player. But I think that we are a team in desperate need of tackles......NOT interior lineman. We could go into next year with Hartwig, Kemo, and Stapleton/Colon/Simmons/Essex and find a combo that works. But at tackle all we have is Tony Hill, an unproven rookie coming off knee surgery. I would like to see us draft 2 tackles. I think we could take Eben Britton or Max Unger in the first (Ungers scouting report is that he could easily be a dominant OT). Maybe a WR/KR in the second and another OT in the third. I still like Fenuki Tupou from Oregon, he's another samoan with an attitude who obliterates people in his run blocks. We could always grab a center in another draft. Hartwig has been doing a pretty good job for us. How many times did you hear Jamal Williams name called when we beat the Chargers? Williams is one of the stronger NT's in the league and has played in many pro bowls. Hartwig also handled the "BIG" Sean Rogers twice against the Stains. :2cents:

Although the Pac-10 is a conference known for its explosive offenses and great passing games, and not so much for pounding the rock, the two best linemen on the East squad come from the Pacific Time zone. University of California center Alex Mack and University of Oregon guard Max Unger were clearly the two most dominant interior linemen working out Tuesday morning. Both players showed great feet and agility, and an ability to shut down bigger defenders.

ToothAche
01-23-2009, 01:52 PM
How many free agents do we have on our line right now?

BlackGold4vr
01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
How many free agents do we have on our line right now?

At least 4 that I know of.

Marvel Smith who I believe the Steelers will not even tender an offer to because of recurring back problems [cap hit around 7 mil]

Max Starks, who is a horrible tackle. Very slow feet because he is overweight. [another 7 mil cap hit]

Willie Colon, who needs to move inside to guard. He is not a good tackle! We can resign him cheap as well.

Chris Kemoeatu, who I believe is one of our better lineman. He is young, strong, and continues to show improvement and I believe we can resign him for a reasonable price

I think there is a good chance the top two guys are gone after this season ends. They are both expendable and will give us huge cap room to sign our rookie class and resign some more of our stars to long term deals! :yesnod:

Essex can go too if he wants too much money as he seems to be a terminal back-up.

OT Marvel Smith UFA 9 6-5/321 Arizona State Pittsburgh
OT Willie Colon RFA 3 6-3/315 Hofstra Pittsburgh
OT Max Starks UFA 5 6-7/337 Florida Pittsburgh
OT Trai Essex UFA 4 6-4/324 Northwestern Pittsburgh
OG Chris Kemoeatu UFA 4 6-3/344 Utah Pittsburgh

K Train
01-23-2009, 04:51 PM
i like essex alot at guard lol, we have to many ****ing guards. max starks is not a horrible tackle, not upper tier but horrible i dont think thats being fair.

smith is gone, kemoeatu and colon will be back....starks is a ? and i hope simmons just retires

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Ktrain.....I know its crazy seeing Oher at 28 but I have seen/read on various sites of Oher falling in the draft....One site said they wouldn't touch Oher until the third round.....I don't believe Oher will fall but I hope so since I think he is still going to be a very good OT and I wouldn't mind the Steelers taking a chance on him at all...

As for Alex Mack, yea I wouldn't mind him at all either....But I also like Eric Wood form Louisville....I mentioned him a few weeks ago and he impressed this week during Senior Bowl practice.......

BlackGold4vr
01-23-2009, 05:18 PM
i like essex alot at guard lol, we have to many ****ing guards. max starks is not a horrible tackle, not upper tier but horrible i dont think thats being fair.

smith is gone, kemoeatu and colon will be back....starks is a ? and i hope simmons just retires

There is a fine line between being not big enough and being too big. Starks falls under the latter. I believe if he lost about 20-25 pounds he could be better, but at his current weight he cannot handle the speed rushers. He missed lots of blocks against the Chargers and the Ravens. I taped those games and have rewatched both games 3 or 4 times each. I believe we can do better for a smaller price with a rookie! That is my opinion. :2cents:

Thomas_43
01-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Ktrain.....I know its crazy seeing Oher at 28 but I have seen/read on various sites of Oher falling in the draft....One site said they wouldn't touch until the third round.....I don't believe Oher will fall but I hope so since I think he is still going to be a very good OT and I wouldn't mind the Steelers taking a chance on him at all...

I know this isn't directed to me but I had to comment on this. I've been following the senior bowl practices and the bloggers/reports on the players. 95% of them say that Oher is the best Tackle in this draft, They say that everytime he gets beat, on the very next play his adjustments are made and it doesn't happen again from the same player. I do not see Oher making it out of the top 10, and if he goes top 5, I wouldn't be suprised.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
I know this isn't directed to me but I had to comment on this. I've been following the senior bowl practices and the bloggers/reports on the players. 95% of them say that Oher is the best Tackle in this draft, They say that everytime he gets beat, on the very next play his adjustments are made and it doesn't happen again from the same player. I do not see Oher making it out of the top 10, and if he goes top 5, I wouldn't be suprised.

I have been following the Senior Bowl practices as well and have heard what you just said about Oher.......I think I even stated that I didn't believe Oher would fall but Kiper's mock isn't the first time I have seen fall to the bottom of the first round.....I'm just pointing out there is mixed opinions of Michael Oher out there....Which is good for the Steelers by the way...lol I want him to fall to the 20s since I would hope the Steelers would trade up for him.....

Thomas_43
01-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, never thought of it like that, If Oher fell to into the 20's, I hope we would have the common sense to trade up for him.

steelcityrockers
01-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Hartwig was the best player on the Line this year. Center isn't really a need. I'm actually ok with our interior as it stands now, especially if Kemo re-signs. Here is hoping Simmons gets cut. Wille Colon is the worst starter on the team and I hope he isn't brought back. For that reason alone I would love Phil Loadholt.

bleed black n gold
02-02-2009, 04:03 AM
i would love to percy harvin in black and gold if hes still there at 32

K Train
02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
florida players are too scary to invest a first in, they run a gimmicky *** system and urban meyers doesnt care about churning out pro ready talent

NHStlrfan
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
The Steelers are like a small number of other teams. I believe as they have done so in years gone by they will find someone out there who is a raw talent and no one is talking about. Steven Neal in NE never played college ball. He was a wrestler. That's the kind of guy who will make a big difference. O-line play is ALL about technique and playing together. The really tough part for anyone we get is the way Ban plays. It is EXTREMELY hard to maintain a block for 6 seconds. Not that I'm complaining but whomever they look at needs to be someone with better technique than sheer size and straight ahead blocking.