PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger is A future HOF QB

SteelstanD
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
If and when Roethlisberger wins the this super bowl, he will be mentioned as a Hall of fame qb, like Brady and manning. Ben is the youngest to win a ring in history, and he keeps breaking records. Aikmen won 2 rings and hes in the hall of fame, El way won 1 ring and hes in the hall of fame. All Ben has to do is stay consistent and amazing eluding tackles and making super man like plays the rest of his career after the super bowl and believe me hes in.....does anyone else agree???

also i think hines ward will be in the hall of fame too, what about you guys?

tuggysteel822
01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
If and when Roethlisberger wins the this super bowl, he will be mentioned as a Hall of fame qb, like Brady and manning. Ben is the youngest to win a ring in history, and he keeps breaking records. Aikmen won 2 rings and hes in the hall of fame, El way won 1 ring and hes in the hall of fame. All Ben has to do is stay consistent and amazing eluding tackles and making super man like plays the rest of his career after the super bowl and believe me hes in.....does anyone else agree???

I think Ben is going to the HoF first ballot. All he's done since he's been in the league is win. Albeit, he doesn't have the stats that a Brady or Manning has, but he has those intangibles that they and others don't. The only thing that may hurt him, is that his career is going to be shortened. With all the hits that he's taking, sacks, late shots, and the little dink shots he takes here and there...that's not too conducive to a long career, but he will be prosperous! He's still going to have a monstrous career and break and set new records, but I'm not too sure that he'll even be able to play out the 8 year contract that he was given last year. I hope to God that he does and gets 5-7 more after that, but its hard to tell...
But yeah, he's no doubt going to be in Canton. Hines too. First ballot, first eligible year.
:tt02:

dawgs
01-21-2009, 09:54 AM
well don't you guys think he needs numbers to.

his first superbowl he played HORRIBLE. threw 2 picks and almost cost you guys the game. This past season was a really bad season and he would be the first to tell you that. The steelers defense is the reason there in the superbowl.

If the steelers had just an average defense you don't make playoffs.

^^^^ my friends who are steeler fans also agreed with me here.

ejsteeler
01-21-2009, 09:58 AM
His numbers are astonishing already. I'm not sure which numbers you think he needs to work on. He will not have the yardage numbers because of the early running and I think we will get back to that. He has already won 50 quickerm won more as a rookie, youngest to win a SB and so on. Only naysyaers are those that wish they had him on their team and suck because they don't. :yesnod:

ToothAche
01-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Hines is a lock............Ben does need numbers. His passer rating is not that great, although there are worse already in the hall. If he wins this superbowl, it will help his case a great deal. In Ben's first superbowl appearance, as Dawgs pointed out, he stank it up. However, Ben has shown that he is a consistent gamer, much like Elway, and that is the heart that the NFL likes to promote. So........let's just hope Ben can help us win this SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!

dawgs
01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
TD's, INT's, ya numbers.

2006- 18 TD's 23 INT's

2007- 32 TD's 11 INT's great year

2008- 17 TDs 15 INT's

He needs to put of numbers like 2007 to make the HOF. Winning is great, but gotta have numbers or trent dilfer would be in. I know ben is alot better trent difler, but he won to.

There are quite a few guys in the hall with not so great numbers, although back then putting up 25TD's means your a god. Now 30TD's only means your decent lol.

LarryNJ
01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
. All Ben has to do is stay consistent and amazing eluding tackles and making super man like plays the rest of his career after the super bowl and believe me hes in...

If he plays superman the rest of his career and wins next week of course he's in. But winning next week alone will not seal it.

Warner on the other hand sealed his ticket when he beat the Eagles on Sunday.

Stairwayto7
01-21-2009, 10:39 AM

his first superbowl he played HORRIBLE. threw 2 picks and almost cost you guys the game. This past season was a really bad season and he would be the first to tell you that. The steelers defense is the reason there in the superbowl.

The fact that a QB can get a team to a Superowl is huge. he doesnt have to have a big game that day. Bradshaw was the opposite, he played average during the season and had huge SuperBowls. Most Steelers fans remember that Ben came up huge in the playoffs that season. And he made the game winning tackle after the bettis fumble.

HOF for Ben, too early to tell. he has one ring. lets not get to far ahead of ourselves here.

DBR96A
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Ben Roethlisberger's numbers dropped this season for three big reasons...

1. His offensive line has been mediocre.
2. He faced a brutal defensive slate.*
3. He had a gimpy throwing shoulder for most of the season.

* - Steelers faced six teams with top-five defenses, nine teams with top-10 defenses, and 12 teams with top-12 defenses.

Brady Quinn
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Ben has done alot of good, the only issue he will have is everyone who remembers the first SB will think of the Bus and your defense. This year i think everyone will think of the defense again. He has been tough down the stretch this year specially in fourth quarters, but everyone will remember you defense.

AZ_Steeler
01-21-2009, 11:57 AM
How about we let Ben play out his career and see where he is in the end. Right now I would have to see he's teetering on the fence...

Dean Denton
01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I dont want to jinx the guy, but if his play going forward is anything like it has been these last five years, then yes he makes it in. If the guy plays 15 years the way he played his first 5 I think that would make him the best ever. Its all about wins, not TD passes and yards. Ask Marino if he would give up all thoughs yards and TD's for a ring or more wins.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
yeah it's way too earlier to tell yet but based on the first 5 years of his career up until this point today if he continues on a similar path then yeah I think he has a real good shot at it.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2009, 02:07 PM

Ok.....Troy Aikman won three Super Bowls.....The Cowboys won three Super Bowls in the 1990s and he was the starting QB for all three Super Bowls......John Elway won two Super Bowls.....The Broncos beat the Packers and Falcons to repeat as Super Bowl champions in the late 90s....Elway started both games......

As for Ben and the Hall of Fame.....If the Steelers do win the Super Bowl it will give Ben two rings....There isn't many QB's that have 2 Super Bowl rings.....We all seen what numbers Ben can put when he is 100 percent healthy (just look at 2007)....Nice try by Dawgs to talk weak smack about Ben's numbers.....Anybody could tell that Ben's shoulder wasn't 100 percent this year after the Texans game.....He didn't have the same zip on this throws in the middle of the season and it wasn't until recently that his passes have had some zip on them.....So I would say if Ben can get that second ring in just his fifth NFL season and he if rebounds to have the numbers since that is such a big deal to some then I would say Ben has a shot....Especially if the Steelers reach the Super Bowl a couple more times with Ben in the future........

Funny that Ben's terrible Super Bowl XL performance is mentioned yet again...But don't over look the three play-off games leading up to the Super Bowl were Ben played great and really was the reason the Steelers reached the Super Bowl....The Steelers running didn't do much in those three play-offs game and really even in the Super Bowl (besides Parker's 75 yard TD run)........I find it funny that some still think Jerome Bettis was such a key in the Super Bowl XL win....Look at Bettis's stats that season and in the play-offs....They were not great.....Bettis only had over 300 yards in the regular season that year....He mostly was used to close out games.....lol He was the emotional leader of that team no doubt........

Here is the list of starting QB's with two or more Super Bowl rings.....

Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana-4
Tom Brady, Troy Aikman-3
Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Roger Staubach, Jim Plunkett, John Elway, Phil Simms,

One quick note Phil Simms didn't start Super Bowl XXV due to injury.....Jeff Hostetler started that game.......So I guess you can credit Simms with two rings or not......But I only count 10....If I left someone out then correct me.....Either Kurt Warner or Ben Roethlisberger will just be the 11 QB to win two rings.....

As for Aikman he didn't have the greatest numbers either....He has some very good numbers but its those three Super Bowls rings that made him a Hall of Famer......So the Steelers winning the Super Bowl will put Ben in really good shape to make a case to be enshirned in Canton, Ohio one day....Despite what the Browns fans in this thread said....:lol: Quit hating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LarryNJ
01-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I wonder after he retires will he work for CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN or the NFL network? :)

Stairwayto7
01-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Ben has done alot of good, the only issue he will have is everyone who remembers the first SB will think of the Bus and your defense. This year i think everyone will think of the defense again. He has been tough down the stretch this year specially in fourth quarters, but everyone will remember you defense.

?? The Bus did squat that season. He almost cost us a trip to the SuperBowl! Ben owned the playoffs that year!

--- Added 1/21/2009 at 02:51 PM ---

Tom Brady has no defense??

TEEMONT
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Hines should be a lock...SB MVP with better numbers than Irvin.

Ben, needs better stats, and to actually play well in the big game. I know he was lights out in the 05 playoffs, but my dog would have played better in the SB. He hasn't won a SB yet. He was on a team that won it.

Let him go out and throw for 300+ and a few TD's, and be the reason his team wins the Sb, as opposed to almost being the goat. You don't get to be a HoF QB after 5 seasons.

Brady Quinn
01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
MY POINT WAS NOT THAT BETTIS HAD THE GREATES STATS, MY POINT WAS WHAT THE WRITERS THINK ABOUT AND IT WAS NOT BEN IT WAS BETTIS AND THE DEFENCE. I AM NOT A HATER. I THINK BEN IS A GOOD QB. I THINK HE IS BETTER THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE. HE IS JUST NOT THE FOCUS OF THE TEAM AND THE MEDIA AROUND THE TEAM. A FEW WEEKS AGO MOST OF YOU TALKED SO POORLY ABOUT BEN AND NOW HE IS HOF TALK. I THINK HE HAS A CHANCE, BUT WAY TO EARLY TO TELL. GOING IN RIGHT DIRECTION!

Steel Trap86
01-21-2009, 05:19 PM

How the **** do you think they got to the Superbowl in 05? That was Ben's best 3 games I've ever seen him play. Especially the AFC Title game in Denver, that was a FLAWLESS game by him. His first year he went 15-1, second year he won the Superbowl, third year was an off year at 8-8, fourth year they made the playoffs and this year the Steelers have had the toughest schedule in the NFL and are now favored in the ****ing SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is how hall of famer's begin there careers

SteelerSteve
01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
If I were on the voting staff for the HOF When I looked at Ben Roethlisberger's career I would definitley know that even without the huge regular season numbers, he has played lights out in most of his playoff games, and if he continues to play solid and helps his team win then he wont need Manning-like numbers. He just needs to keep displaying toughness and heart and maintain his reputation as a fearless leader that you can trust whenn you have to put everything on his shoulders with the game on the line. If he does that then he will be a lock.

Stairwayto7
01-21-2009, 07:27 PM
There plenty of time for Ben to prove himself. Hell I think next season will be a better season anyway. We get Menenahll, Sepluvda, and both OL back, plus a couple studs in the draft. lookout!

dawgs
01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
I wonder after he retires will he work for CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN or the NFL network? :)

he'll be living in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!

DanRooney
01-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Ben's numbers this year haven't been that great because

1. His offensive line consists of basically 4 new starters.
2. The running game this season was pretty nonexistant
3. He doesn't have a great YPC number because the Eagles have exposed the OL earlier in the season, forcing Ben to adjust and have more short passes (dumpoffs to Moore). Last season he had more longbomb touchdowns due to all the time he had.
4. His TD/INT ratio would be higher (more TDs) but teams have managed to stop our receivers at the 1 yard line numerous times this year. I mean how many TDs has Russell/Moore ran in from the 1.
5. Lots of dropped passes.

ejsteeler
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Bottom line, if his next 5 years even mirror his first five, good and bad, he will make it. Personally, I think it will get better. :yellowthumb: :cope:

TEEMONT
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Bottom line, if his next 5 years even mirror his first five, good and bad, he will make it. Personally, I think it will get better. :yellowthumb: :cope:

If they win 2 more Sb's in the next 5 years...lots of players from these teams will make it.

JoeThomas
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I think he will be a average statistical QB, maybe slightly above. But with 3 rings he would get in, assuming he continues on the path. It is so hard to be that good for that long. Who knows how he will hold up with all the beatings he is taking. But I think 3 rings and you could have marginal stats as a QB and you get in.

Dean Denton
01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Stats are not the only thing they will look at. Unless its overall stats, like wins, game winning drives, and what a player means to a team. I think Ben has played his best football this year, and is getting better. yes the Def has played lights out, but make no mistake Ben is a big reason this team is in the SB. Ben's ability to keep plays alive is huge, and I doubt anyother QB in this league would have this team at 12-4 at the end of the season. We still have not seen Ben at his best, but we will, and that should scare 31 other teams to death....

steelcitysfinestXL
01-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Alot more goes into a HOF vote than we all think... If you look at Bens class and imagine He, Eli and Rivers all come retire the same year. (highly unlikely but its a fair arguement) Trhow in some guys who are close to that age ie: Ie Romo, Cutler and Rodgers... compared to them Bens numbers "projected" against theirs are gonna look inferior to say the least. Now i still in my heart believe Ben is a better QB than all theses guys. But he will have some stiff competition in his own position.

Combine that with the fact we have ALOT of HOF's in there already. That has alot to do with it in the eyes of the voters. Ward will face the same difficulties with guys like Moss, TO, Holt, Harrison and so on being in his age group. I think they both make a strong case already... but i had to choose one "RIGHT NOW" it would be Hines.

ToothAche
01-22-2009, 01:43 PM
How about we let Ben play out his career and see where he is in the end. Right now I would have to see he's teetering on the fence...

EXACTLY!! I have heard that Brown fans want to enshrine the little old lady that pull out in front of Ben when he was on his bike though............

Dean Denton
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Alot more goes into a HOF vote than we all think... If you look at Bens class and imagine He, Eli and Rivers all come retire the same year. (highly unlikely but its a fair arguement) Trhow in some guys who are close to that age ie: Ie Romo, Cutler and Rodgers... compared to them Bens numbers "projected" against theirs are gonna look inferior to say the least. Now i still in my heart believe Ben is a better QB than all theses guys. But he will have some stiff competition in his own position.

Combine that with the fact we have ALOT of HOF's in there already. That has alot to do with it in the eyes of the voters. Ward will face the same difficulties with guys like Moss, TO, Holt, Harrison and so on being in his age group. I think they both make a strong case already... but i had to choose one "RIGHT NOW" it would be Hines. no doubt Ben is better then the rest of that group. look at his body of work. doing what he did this year only proves that his first 4 years were real. now look at Eli....What he did this year proves that the way he played his first 4 years was real too. Real by the fact that he needs a 6'5 WR to be able to make plays. I dont think Eli is in the same league as Ben.

NYCsteelersfan
01-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Hines is a lock............Ben does need numbers. His passer rating is not that great, although there are worse already in the hall. If he wins this superbowl, it will help his case a great deal. In Ben's first superbowl appearance, as Dawgs pointed out, he stank it up. However, Ben has shown that he is a consistent gamer, much like Elway, and that is the heart that the NFL likes to promote. So........let's just hope Ben can help us win this SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!

Roethlisberger has an 89.4 QB rating in 5 seasons and 71 games started.
Tom Brady has a 92.9 QB rating in 9 seasons and 110 games started.
Montana had a 92.3 QB rating in 15 seasons and 164 games started.

Who exactly are we comparing Roethlisberger's QB rating to for you to say that "his passer rating is not that great"?

The Superbowl is just one playoff games. Roethlisberger is 7-2 in 9 playoff games with a 86.5 QB rating.

The NFL's #1 poster QB Peyton is 7-8 in 15 playoff games with a QB rating of 84.9.

The NFL's #2 poster QB Brady is 14-3 in 17 playoff games with a QB rating of 88

Roethlisbergers POSTSEASON numbers look pretty good to me.

TD's, INT's, ya numbers.

2006- 18 TD's 23 INT's

2007- 32 TD's 11 INT's great year

2008- 17 TDs 15 INT's

He needs to put of numbers like 2007 to make the HOF. Winning is great, but gotta have numbers or trent dilfer would be in. I know ben is alot better trent difler, but he won to.

There are quite a few guys in the hall with not so great numbers, although back then putting up 25TD's means your a god. Now 30TD's only means your decent lol.

Amazing what some people say.

Trent Dilfer in 13 NFL seasons;

113 games started
1,759 completions and 3,172 attempts
55.5 Cmp%
20,518 yards
113 TD's and 129 INT's
70.2 QB rating

In 6 playoff games, Dilfer had;

59 completions and 135 attempts
43.7 Cmp%
971 yards
4 TD's and 4 INT's
66 QB rating

In 6 nfl seasons, Roethlisberger has;

1,189 completions in 1,905 attempts
62.4 Cmp%
14,974 yards
101 TD's and 69 INT's
89.4 QB rating

In 9 playoff games, Roethlisberger has;

151 completions and 248 attempts
60.9 Cmp%
1,983 yards
14 TD's and 11 INT's
86.5 QB rating

If trent Dilfer had won 2 Superbowls, he still wouldn't make the HOF

I think the biggest problem is people forget that Roethlisberger is only in his 5th season. That he has started only 71 games. In 71 games, for his numbers, they're excellent. And if he has 5 more years like his first 5 years, with only 10 NFL seasons, his numbers will either match or beat guys like Elway, Aikman, Bradshaw, Kelly and Young, all of whom which are in the HOF. If Roethlisberger wins this one or another one, he's a first ballot automatic.