PDA

View Full Version : "It's a go" for Big Ben on sunday..Hampton doubtful

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2006, 03:06 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06301/733710-66.stm

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette

Barring some unforeseen circumstance or a change in his medical condition, Ben Roethlisberger will start at quarterback tomorrow against the Oakland Raiders, a week after he was knocked unconscious and had a concussion in Atlanta.

Roethlisberger went through a full practice for the second day in a row and has not had any problems passing all the tests necessary to receive medical clearance to play.

His condition will be monitored right up to game time to make sure there are no post-concussion symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness or blurred vision.

Roethlisberger is one of the primary reasons the team's passing game has come to life. In the past two games, he and Charlie Batch have combined to complete 41 of 55 passes (74.5 percent) for 677 yards, seven touchdowns and no interceptions.

Hamstrung

Nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) did not practice all week and is not expected to play against the Raiders. Hampton was injured early in the third quarter in Atlanta.

"It depends how I feel," Hampton said. "I'm not going to hurt myself. I'd rather miss one [game] than four or five."

Hampton will be replaced by Chris Hoke, who started 10 games in 2004 when Hampton sustained a season-ending knee injury.

"I like to think we don't lose a lot," Hoke said.

"But, we all know Casey takes up guys, he clogs up the middle, and does a good job of playing nose tackle."

Meantime, outside linebacker Clark Haggans (ankle/questionable) returned to practice and will start at left outside linebacker. He will be joined by Joey Porter, who missed the past two games with a hamstring injury.

That sux about Casey but Chris Hoke is a solid backup at NT and should do well...plus I'd rather have Casey out this week to heal up and get ready for next week.

Prosdo
10-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Damn that sucks about Casey, but I'm very confident in Hoke though.

AZ_Steeler
10-28-2006, 03:24 AM
I live w/o Casey this weekend. My concern is Ben is healthy and doesn't miss a game because the follow week the Steelers have a big game against the Broncos and we don't want Ben to be rusty!

The key quote from the article
Barring some unforeseen circumstance or a change in his medical condition

I don't think Ben can have anything else surgically removed at this point... is there? :dunno:

House of Steel
10-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Chris Hoke played very well last season for us at NT replacing Casey, so therefore, shouldn't be any different. He is a solid player with a great history. HOKE SLAM!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I live w/o Casey this weekend. My concern is Ben is healthy and doesn't miss a game because the follow week the Steelers have a big game against the Broncos and we don't want Ben to be rusty!

The key quote from the article

I don't think Ben can have anything else surgically removed at this point... is there? :dunno:

I'd be just as happy if we never have to find that out ! :crossfingers:

Steelerlyn
10-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Most people in my club feel Ben should not play. I think many of us already have given the Steelers a W for the Raider game. I am just not that confident. Once again, it seems as though if we don't give the ball to them in our own end repeatedly, like we are accustomed to do every now and then, we should be able to help the Raiders continue on towards the #1 pick in April.

If the Steelers lose this game I'll have to rethink everything I thought was fact. Like the planet being round. Or like the Steelers were the best team in the league last year.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-28-2006, 11:58 PM
We will be fine with Hoke at NT. I rather start Batch at QB. But I will let the cards fall where they may.