PDA

View Full Version : Rooney fined for criticizing officials

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2006, 09:30 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=sports&id=4703358

10/27/2006 15:36 PM - Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney has been fined $25,000 by the NFL for his public criticism of game officials after Sunday's overtime loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney, who all but served as the campaign manager for new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, on Friday was hit hard by the man he helped shepherd into office less than three months ago.

Goodell fined Rooney $25,000 for his criticism of game officials after the Steelers' overtime loss to the Atlanta Falcons last Sunday. Adding to the irony, the action came on the same day league officials announced Falcons defensive end Chauncey Davis, whose apparent helmet-to-helmet collision on Ben Roethlisberger knocked the Pittsburgh quarterback from the game in the third quarter, would not be fined.

Roethlisberger suffered a concussion on the play and missed one day of practice this week, but he will start Sunday at Oakland. Some observers felt Davis would draw a fine for the hit, but the league officials who review the videotape of every game and closely scrutinize every questionable play obviously disagreed.

On Thursday, the NFL fined three Steelers -- wide receivers Hines Ward, Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes -- $5,000 each for an excessive celebration in the game. The celebration followed Washington's 10-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter. Pittsburgh was penalized 15 yards for the incident, was forced to kick off from the 15-yard line, and Atlanta scored on the ensuing possession.

Rooney did not mince words in the aftermath of a bitter defeat, one in which he clearly felt referee Ron Winter's crew was in error on several calls.

"Those officials should be ashamed of themselves," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That last call, you don't get that kind of call."

The Steelers' chairman was referring to a false-start flag on Washington, a penalty that by rule required a 10-second runoff on the game clock, preventing the Steelers from attempting a potential game-winning field goal in regulation. He also was critical of the officials for a tripping call against kicker Jeff Reed on a return by the Falcons' Allen Rossum late in the second quarter.

"They said he tripped him," Rooney said. "He got beat out, the guy dodged him, and he got faked. He didn't trip him. [Rossum] ran over him and fell."

Asked about the calls Sunday, coach Bill Cowher declined to comment, noting: "I don't feel like giving [the NFL] any more money." But Rooney apparently had no qualms about speaking out, or about suffering the consequences that came down Friday. "I don't care. They need to know," Rooney said.

Bring it on Dan !! You tell em !!!

That's the NFL's answer to everybody who voices an opinion or concern, just fine them and it'll go away. :nonod:

AZ_Steeler
10-27-2006, 09:45 PM
That's funny seeing Dan getting fined :lol: He is usually very reserved and laid back, but then again he had every right to bitch about the refs from the ATL game.

Steelersfan
10-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I can't believe they gave out all those fines but didn't think Davis deserved one too!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2006, 10:24 PM
The refs should be fined !!!

Steelersfan
10-27-2006, 10:25 PM
The refs should be fined !!!

:clap: I agree!....lol :tt02:

Hburg
10-27-2006, 10:30 PM
That bullshit politics for you. Mr. Rooney helps the man into office and then he turns around and shoots Mr. Rooney in the back. Multiple bad calls in that game but the most obvious and infuriating is the hit on Ben and the fact that nothing has or will be done about it. Mr. Rooney has a right to be pissed and let NFL fine him 25 grand......for him that's prolly chump change. Mr. Rooney is a instituted and respected man in the NFL and should be allowed to express his opinions.

BuFu

SteelerFan87
10-27-2006, 10:45 PM
The best part is that Rooney brought a copy of the Post-Gazette with his statements with him to a league meeting to personally throw in Goodell's face. Actually, this could end up being a good thing. I'm tired of this whole "well, we're close and we just need to execute better" and "it's a long season" mentality of denial the Steelers seem to have. This could be something that pisses them all off, and fuels them on a nice run back into playoff contention. We know Ben's pissed, we know Casey's pissed. Joey has to be pissed, Hines is pissed, Cowher's pissed, and even Dan Rooney's pissed. This could be something for them to rally around.

Steelersfan
10-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Don't forgret I'm pissed too! Damn turnovers!

House of Steel
10-28-2006, 12:17 AM
I am very highly pissed off with the fact that Dan Rooney got fined for something that was clearly disgusting by the refs. I am also very ticked off for the fine to Ward, Washington, and Holmes. The biggest pissed off thing that I am going after is no fines leveled or suspension to the fat bastard on the Atlanta Falcons Defense on that Helmet to Helmet hit. WHAT THE ****ING HELL IS WRONG WITH THE NFL ANYMORE? DO WE NOT FOLLOW THE ****ING GUIDELINES YOU *******S? DAMN THIS LEAGUE ANYMORE!!

If this doesn't **** the Steelers off enough to get a rally cry going, I don't know whatelse would, but goodness, if I was in their shoes, I would definitely be so pissed off that I would be going headhunting in the next game. Oakland is about to massacred. You just open a huge can of Whoop ***, NFL, that is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Let the Gates of Hell open and unleash on this league.
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Steelersfan
10-28-2006, 01:59 AM
The bottom line is we shouldn't have put ourselves in the position to let the "refs" have a say in the outcome. I'm sure everyone from every team has had calls go against them. The key is how you overcome those calls.
I say blow the other teams out and then you don't have to worry about the calls or overcoming anything!.......lol

Hawk Believer
10-28-2006, 11:45 AM
The bottom line is we shouldn't have put ourselves in the position to let the "refs" have a say in the outcome. I'm sure everyone from every team has had calls go against them. The key is how you overcome those calls.
I say blow the other teams out and then you don't have to worry about the calls or overcoming anything!.......lol

Kudos for having a position consistant with the one most Steeler fans had in regards to the Super Bowl. :bigthumb: Otherwise, the Steeler fans are sounding a bit inconsistant in their standards for how teams should deal with close calls by the refs...:stirpot:

Captcoolhand
10-28-2006, 12:21 PM
If this ain't a bunch of Bullshit!

Blitzburgh55
10-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey Refs :bigfinger:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2006, 02:26 PM
The calls didn't cost the Steelers the game. The Steelers playing sloppy and having no clue on how to cover Crumpler did them in. But there should have a call on Davis for hitting Ben. Plus everytime I watch highlights of Washington at the end of that game. The more ticky tack that call looks. But its a bunch of **** why Mr. Rooney was fined and a that Hines, Santonio and Nate were fined.

The new commish already sucks *** in my mind.

Captcoolhand
10-28-2006, 03:02 PM
With Dan on the Board, I'm sure this isn't the end of this

SteelersFire
10-28-2006, 10:45 PM
That "celebrating" crap really pisses me off. A game penalty and a fine??? C'mon peeps, lighten up already. Emotions run so high ... what the heck is so wrong with celebrating a TD? I say give 'em 5 seconds to dance ... if they run over, slap a 5 yard penalty on 'em and be done. Geez.
And as for the fine on Rooney and not a word about Davis' illegal hit? Pure and utter discrimination. BAH