PDA

View Full Version : My First 2009 NFL Mock Draft

Thomas_43
01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I have been looking at mock drafts and checking out particular team needs for the last month or so, and this is what I have come up with:

1. DET: Andre Smith, OT, ALA
2. STL: Eugene Monroe, OT, VA
3. KC: Brian Orakpo, DE, TEX
4. SEA: Michael Crabtree, WR, TT
5. CLE: Aaron Curry, LB, WF
6. CIN: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
7. OAK: Malcom Jenkins, CB, OSU
8. JAX: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Mizz
9. GB: Aaron Maybin, DE, PSU
10. SF: Matt Stafford, QB, GA
11. BUF: Everette Brown, DE, FSU
12. DEN: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
13. WAS: Jason Smith, OT, BAY
14. NO: James Laurinitis, LB, OSU
15. HOU: William Moore, S, Mizz
16. SD: Knowshon Moreno, RB, GA
17. NYJ: Michael Johnson, DE, GT
18. CHI: Percy Harvin, WR, FLA
19. TB: Darius Heyward Bey, WR, MD
20. DET: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
21. AZ: Chris Wells, RB, OSU
22. MIN: Vontae Davis, CB, ILL
23. NE: Brandon Spikes, LB, FLA
24. ATL: Sendarik Marks, DT, AUB
25. MIA: DJ Moore, CB, Vandy
26. BAL: Hakeem Nicks, WR, NC
27. IND: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
28. PHI: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, OkSt
29. NYG: Clint Sintim, LB, VA
30. TEN: Bj Raji, DT, BC
31. PHI: Duke Robinson, OG, OK
32. PIT: Alex Mack, CTR, CAL

Feel free to comment, critisize and explain. Enjoy.

JoeThomas
01-14-2009, 11:02 PM
stafford is going #1. id bet on it.

Thomas_43
01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
I just think it will be to hard for them to pass up on an OT like Smith, I feel that they will address the QB spot later in the round with the pick they got from Dallas.

If they do pick Stafford, I would not be suprised one bit.

K Train
01-14-2009, 11:15 PM
stafford wont go #1...id bet on it

orpako is trash...i really hate him

jenkins is not the best corner in this draft...davis ftw

maybin wont go that high, he will be drafted as a OLB....think woodley minus 20 pounds, very strong and great form/footwork

id be surprised if wells dropped that far, especially below moreno

percy harvin is not first round talent imo, gimmicky system, hes very versatile but history isnt on his side

steelers could definitely use robinson...a truely dominate player.

i think raji is gonna sky rocket up the charts after pro days, the dude is a freak

no tyson jackson? hes a rare prospect in that hes a prototype 34end which is becoming big need....his play against the run is phenominal

Thomas_43
01-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Wells falls that far because of his terrible health track record.....and that's in college, just wait till he plays with the Big boys.

Maybin, yeah, i can definately see him falling, he's young, and his body is not fully developed.

I agree with you on the Robinson, but in reality, he will not fall to us.

Harvin, might not go that high, but if he falls to TEN, they will break their rule and take him.

and to the Raji comment, I only ever watched him play once, was against VT, he played well, but VT's Qb ran all over them, I wasn't overly impressed.

K Train
01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Wells falls that far because of his terrible health track record.....and that's in college, just wait till he plays with the Big boys.

Maybin, yeah, i can definately see him falling, he's young, and his body is not fully developed.

I agree with you on the Robinson, but in reality, he will not fall to us.

Harvin, might not go that high, but if he falls to TEN, they will break their rule and take him.

and to the Raji comment, I only ever watched him play once, was against VT, he played well, but VT's Qb ran all over them, I wasn't overly impressed.

wells durabilty are minor, nagging things....same as peterson....he will wow people at the combine.

robinson may very well fall to us, people are afraid of guards in the first

alot of mocks have harvin going to tennessee and i dont buy it...theyve been supposed to take WRs the last few years and have waited til later rounds....they have a good underrated group of guys as it is, adding an overrated workout warrior isnt the answer.

raji is so big and explosive and his scheme versatility will have him going high imo

JensK
01-15-2009, 05:41 AM
If we traded up in the second round we could probably have a legit shot at Jermon Merideth. He should be a freak at Left Tackle. That would clear our first round draft to get whatever is best available.

K Train
01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
freaks at left tackle certainly dont make it to the second round....surprises maybe, injured players maybe but freaks i dont think so

MDSteel15
01-15-2009, 02:07 PM
stafford is going #1. id bet on it.

Not, they go QB in 2nd or 3rd!

K Train
01-15-2009, 05:12 PM
i actually think they take sanchez with theirsecond first round pick...that would be more logical imo

Thomas_43
01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
i actually think they take sanchez with theirsecond first round pick...that would be more logical imo

I agree.

I'm gonna do a 2nd mock on this same thread for shits and giggles.

JoeThomas
01-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I agree.

I'm gonna do a 2nd mock on this same thread for shits and giggles.

its possible, the way the chargers went with brees a bunch of years ago. it depends who they grade. the might like stafford over everyone. you cant go wrong really with the stud OL either.

steelcityrockers
01-16-2009, 09:40 PM
5. CLE: Aaron Curry, LB, WF
Cleveland is in need of a Linebacker, but I'm not sure they don't go with a Skill player or a DB. RB and WR are huge needs (Jamal is on fumes and well, did you see their receivers this year?) and I think Vontae Davis would be a terrific fit for Mangini. Beanie Wells culd very easily go here.

7. OAK: Malcom Jenkins, CB, OSU

This is good only if Nnamdi Asomugha doesn't return. Theri corners are actually not that bad. It is the lack of pass rush and craptastic safety and linebacker play (minus Gibril Wilson and Kirk Morrison respectively) that makes them look bad in pass defense. Chris Johnson (the other corner) had a truly remarkable season after benching DeAngelo Hall.

14. NO: James Laurinitis, LB, OSU
I would disagree here. Laurinitis is a MLB. The Saints already have Jonathan Vilma.

18. CHI: Percy Harvin, WR, FLA
They already have Devin Hester, who is basically just like Percy Harvin only less experienced on offense (should have stayed at corner)

24. ATL: Sendarik Marks, DT, AUB
Marks, I think, after having a really sub-par Junior season will see his stock fall out of the first round.

32. PIT: Alex Mack, CTR, CAL
The one unnecessary OL spot. Hartwig was pretty good.

Thomas_43
01-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Ok, Here's a 2nd

1. DET: Matthew Stafford, QB, GA
2. STL: Andre Smith, OT, ALA
3. KC: Everette Brown, DE, FSU
5. CLE: Chris Wells, RB, OSU
7. OAK: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Mizz
8. JAX: Eugene Monroe, OT, VA
9. GB: Malcom Jenkins, CB, OSU
10. SF: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
11. BUF: Brian Orakpo, DE, TEX
14. NO: Aaron Curry, LB, WF
15. HOU: Michael Johnson, DE, GT
17. NYJ: Vontae Davis, CB, ILL
18. CHI: Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, MD
19. TB: Percy Harvin, WR, FLA
20. DET: BJ Raji, DT, BC
21. AZ: Lesean McCoy, RB, PIT
22. MIN: William Moore, S, Mizz
23. NE: James Laurinitis, LB, OSU
24. ATL: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
27. IND: Alphonso Smith, CB, WF
28. PHI: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, OKST
29. NYG: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
30. TEN: Ebon Britton, OT, AZ
31. PHI: Sean Smith, CB, UT
32. PIT: Duke Robinson, G, OK

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Shady McCoy to the Cards.....I could deal with that....Its been a treat watching McCoy the last two years......I will follow his career in the NFL...You got my boy Nicks going to the hated Ravens....lol I watched quite a few North Carolina games this year......I really like Nicks and Tate.....Tate is coming off that injury but I still would take a chance on him.....Not super early though....

K Train
01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Ok, Here's a 2nd

1. DET: Matthew Stafford, QB, GA
2. STL: Andre Smith, OT, ALA
3. KC: Everette Brown, DE, FSU
5. CLE: Chris Wells, RB, OSU
7. OAK: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Mizz
8. JAX: Eugene Monroe, OT, VA
9. GB: Malcom Jenkins, CB, OSU
10. SF: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
11. BUF: Brian Orakpo, DE, TEX
14. NO: Aaron Curry, LB, WF
15. HOU: Michael Johnson, DE, GT
17. NYJ: Vontae Davis, CB, ILL
18. CHI: Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, MD
19. TB: Percy Harvin, WR, FLA
20. DET: BJ Raji, DT, BC
21. AZ: Lesean McCoy, RB, PIT
22. MIN: William Moore, S, Mizz
23. NE: James Laurinitis, LB, OSU
24. ATL: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
27. IND: Alphonso Smith, CB, WF
28. PHI: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, OKST
29. NYG: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
30. TEN: Ebon Britton, OT, AZ
31. PHI: Sean Smith, CB, UT
32. PIT: Duke Robinson, G, OK

i like this one alot better....its tough to do before the combine but wtf else is there to do but speculate lol.

few things though....sean smith and alphonso smith arent first rounders. davis followed by jenkins are the only first round talents at CB i like but i like guys like macho harris and moore and butler as early second guys. i hate corners in the first in just about all cases though....over the years the two cromarties were the only ones i thought were worth their respective picks.

i wouldnt be surprised to see crabtree be the only first round WR after whats heppened the past few years

i dont like curry in NOs defense, but i could see them trying that route. and i dont think laurenitis is first round talent, he could fall to the third ala dan connor

Thomas_43
01-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the insight. To be honest with you, this years draft class is one of the least exciting that I've seen in awhile. When you feel bad placing the top players in the first round, you know there is something wrong.

K Train
01-16-2009, 11:41 PM
i think it will be alot better after the combine and pro days....right now rankings are such a cluster**** sooooooooooo many overrated players

steelcityrockers
01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Seriously though, Vontae Davis is so much better than Malcolm Jenkins. Plus the Jets dont need a corner early what with Revis and Dwight Lowery.

K Train
01-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Seriously though, Vontae Davis is so much better than Malcolm Jenkins. Plus the Jets dont need a corner early what with Revis and Dwight Lowery.

QFT...

Thomas_43
01-17-2009, 08:16 PM
what's QFT K-train?

K Train
01-17-2009, 08:19 PM
quoted for truth

vontae davis is the best corner this year and malcolm jenkins is the most overrated player imo

Jambasteel
01-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Thats a lot of wr in 1st round. Don't think people will take all those wrs.

K Train
01-17-2009, 08:31 PM
2 years ago johnson, ginn, bowe, meachem, gonzalas, and davis were all taken in the first round

Thomas_43
01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
I agree with you that Vontae Davis is the number one cornerback and that Malcolm Jenkins is overrated, but I don't think the scouts are picking it up.

Jambasteel
01-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah Ktrain you would think people would learn. WR are overrated. There are just too many out there to waste top picks on

K Train
01-17-2009, 09:31 PM
some are overrated, but holmes was worth it imo, johnson and bowe were worth it, meachem wasnt given a good chance, buster davis sucks, ginn is ok but not 9th overall material....its inconsistant. holmes was the only one in 06, 5 went in 07 and none went in 08....crabtree is all but a lock, but after that it really depeneds

Thomas_43
01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
what do you think about Nicks K-train?

K Train
01-17-2009, 09:41 PM
hes got real good size, a solid frame mixed with good height at 6-1 and hes coming off a great season. i think hes a 2nd or 3rd rounder though, hes not overly fast and lack of seperation will hurt his draft status. it really comes down to how he runs. if he gets like a 4.45 he will be much better off but as of now hes a 4.6 guy

Thomas_43
01-17-2009, 09:44 PM
You should whip together a quick mock. Like you said earlier it's all speculation until after the combine.

steelcityrockers
01-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Jeremy Maclin should go in the first round. He is one of the most explosive players in the draft. Crabtree is the best, but he isn't far behind. His only knock in my mind is that he isnt the best route runner.

SackExchange
01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
After we address the "O" line it would be great to get our hands on a speed burner with some versatility like Derrick Williams. He can line up anywhere from wideout to halfback. His 4.3 speed would be a welcomed addition to our return teams also!! He should still be hanging around late second round.

steelcityrockers
01-21-2009, 09:37 PM
No he shouldn't. He is a late first-round/early2nd round guy. And we do not need a receiver that early anyway. Think 4th-5th round for a WR.

stLlRfn14
01-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Detroit isnt going to pick stafford...i just read today they arent going with a QB with the first pick

steelcityrockers
01-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Because we all know that everything we read on the internet is completely, unequivocally true.

conmonster94
02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
steelers O-Line won a super bowl and progressed over the season. I think they need to draft D-Line because Hampton,Keisel, Smith, and Kirschke are all in their 30's

darnik44
02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Alot of things have to sort themselves out between now and draft day, but at this point you pretty much have to have Stafford #1. I have to believe there atleast of 75% chance that who they take.

Most of the rest of your mock is pretty sensible. I like Sanchez to the Jets and I'm beginning to thing Josh Freeman to the Bucs.

I really doubt Aaron Maybin goes that high. I like him in the 20's somewhere. New England maybe.

Not a chance in hell William Moore goes in the first round. His stock plumeted all year long and continued to do so at the Senior Bowl. Looks like a late 2nd to early 3rd round pick.

Robinson and Mack aren't worth a pick inside the top 50. B.J. Raji won't get out of the top 10. Maybe not even the top 5.

Sombody's going to take LeSean McCoy in the first.

Brandon Spikes is still at Florida, not in this draft class.

Thomas_43
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
haha, Darnik this mock is WAY old, one day before Spikes declared btw :P

BlackGold4vr
02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
steelers O-Line won a super bowl and progressed over the season. I think they need to draft D-Line because Hampton,Keisel, Smith, and Kirschke are all in their 30's

I'm guessing that you forgot that were 17th in passing

23rd in rushing

29th in average yards per rush attempt

4th in sacks allowed

3 of the 5 O-lineman who played in the SB are free agents

5 of the 9 O-lineman on our roster are free agents

We were one of the worst short yardage teams in the league which we showed again at the SB with 9 plays inside the 10 yard line with no touchdown to show for it. If we had a decent O-line and score touchdowns there instead of fieldgoals......the game isn't even close.

I have no doubt that D-line will be addressed in this draft but to say that we can make do with this O-line is just plain ludicrous. We need O-line help in the worst way! No way the Steelers resign all these bums nor should they. If your going to keep every player from last year then why even bother with the draft? How many of those defenders from the leagues #1 defense would you cut in order to make room for all these rookie D-lineman you want to draft? There will be changes. Some we will like and some we won't. No doubt that there will be more changes on the offense than the defense, as it should be because they were the weaker unit. :yesnod:

K Train
02-12-2009, 10:18 PM
if tyson jackson is there at 32 or even if hes there around 25 we should make a move to get him, the dude is nothing but power. hes a black aaron smith. hes one ive been watching since the before the draft was over last year and would keep this defense on top for a long time

Black@Gold Forever32
02-13-2009, 07:57 PM
if tyson jackson is there at 32 or even if hes there around 25 we should make a move to get him, the dude is nothing but power. hes a black aaron smith. hes one ive been watching since the before the draft was over last year and would keep this defense on top for a long time

Yea Tyson Jackson is a stud.....I wouldn't mind him being a Steeler at all.....Black Aaron Smith....I like that...lol