PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Game Has Classic Feel

BloodTypePGH
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Perhaps the only difference between the players participating in this Sunday's AFC Championship and the Gladiators who walked the Earth during the Roman Empire's time, is that Ravens and Steelers will not meet in the Coliseum. But make no mistake, to earn their right to play for the Lombardi Trophy, these Galdiators will fight to the death all the same. But instead of a glorious death at the hands of your opponent, a death to be earned with honor and pride, the death they will feel is that of their heart breaking because the people they hate most in the world just took the one thing they wanted.
That's right sports fans this is a battle and we all have the privledge of being able to say in 10 years, "I was there." Of course you may not actually be there but you know what I mean. This is slowly but steadily shaping up to be a game we will either remember forever or try to forget as quickly as possible. But for a chance to see the Steelers in another Super Bowl, would you think we'd risk anything less than everything?
If the Ravens move on to the Super Bowl, the most improbable match-up to ever occur in a Super Bowl would take place; two teams with birds as their mascots would face off an......I'm just kidding, that would be pathetic. Of course there is no denying the historical implications should the Ravens move on. They'd be the third 6th seed to ever make it the Super Bowl after playing all 3 games on the road. They'd be the first team to begin a Super Bowl with a rookie Quarter back under center. And to go along with that rookie Quaterback, a rookie Head Coach.
Historians are BEGGING for this team to make it. They keep their jobs because of "fist time ever" stories like those. And if history has taught us anything, it's that everything only happens for the first time, once. Prepare yourself people. Be ready for the unavoidable "IF" propositions that will just spew out the mouths of Trey Wingo, Chris Berman and lord help us all, Joe Buck. What I'm referring to are those statements that begin with the word "IF" of course:
"IF Joe Flacco makes it the Super Bowl he will be the first....."
"IF Jim Harbaugh can lead this team in his first year to a Super Bowl...."
You know they're coming, you know it, I know it, and the Ravens know it. So IF you're looking for history to be made this weekend, prepare to be disappointed. This will not be this first time a rookie coach and rookie starting quarterback make it the Super Bowl and the reasons are endless. But I'll focus on the main one....the Steelers are simply, a better football team.
All bias aside, the Steelers from top to bottom are better coached, have more talent and execute much better. It's been 18 weeks since the Ravens haven't played a football game on Sunday. 18 weeks! And this hasn't been some walk in the park. Make no mistake, these Ravens play hard nosed, all out, in your face football. But like I said, they've been playing it for 18 straight weeks. That tends to wear down any player, but when it's wearing down a defense whose best 2 players are on the wrong side of 30 it's going to be a bit more of a factor.
I'm not going to point out everything that went wrong for Ben in 2004 when the Steelers played the Patriots here, but he was a rookie too, and sooner or later, as we found out with Ben, every rookie hits a wall. The wall Flacco is going to hit just happens to be made of Steel.
And my final reason why I know the Steelers will be moving on after Sunday night? THEY KNOW THERE"S STILL ANOTHER GAME TO BE PLAYED!!!!! Have you seen the interviews? Not only with the Baltimore players but with the Cardinals and Eagles as well. Every interview all I hear is Ray Lewis thanking God for what He's bestowed upon the Ravens. Or Jim Harbaugh thanking everyone in the Ravens orginization (seriously, he even thanked the cafeteria workers) for contributing to such a great season. Or Brian Dawkins, crying after the Eagles beat the Giants. And to top it all off, the friggin Cardinals dumped Gatorade on Whisenhunt!
But not the Steelers. Just another game to them when they beat San Diego (Whale's Vagina if you ask a German). Just a third time playing the Ravens this Sunday. The Steelers know that all that they've done is make it to the playoffs and won a game. And there is your major difference between the Steelers and every other team left, the Eagles, Cardinals and Ravens. They're all happy to be here and win a few games, the Steelers won't be happy until they win THE game.

Daniel Dugan

steelers4life66
01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Perhaps the only difference between the players participating in this Sunday's AFC Championship and the Gladiators who walked the Earth during the Roman Empire's time, is that Ravens and Steelers will not meet in the Coliseum. But make no mistake, to earn their right to play for the Lombardi Trophy, these Galdiators will fight to the death all the same. But instead of a glorious death at the hands of your opponent, a death to be earned with honor and pride, the death they will feel is that of their heart breaking because the people they hate most in the world just took the one thing they wanted.
That's right sports fans this is a battle and we all have the privledge of being able to say in 10 years, "I was there." Of course you may not actually be there but you know what I mean. This is slowly but steadily shaping up to be a game we will either remember forever or try to forget as quickly as possible. But for a chance to see the Steelers in another Super Bowl, would you think we'd risk anything less than everything?
If the Ravens move on to the Super Bowl, the most improbable match-up to ever occur in a Super Bowl would take place; two teams with birds as their mascots would face off an......I'm just kidding, that would be pathetic. Of course there is no denying the historical implications should the Ravens move on. They'd be the third 6th seed to ever make it the Super Bowl after playing all 3 games on the road. They'd be the first team to begin a Super Bowl with a rookie Quarter back under center. And to go along with that rookie Quaterback, a rookie Head Coach.
Historians are BEGGING for this team to make it. They keep their jobs because of "fist time ever" stories like those. And if history has taught us anything, it's that everything only happens for the first time, once. Prepare yourself people. Be ready for the unavoidable "IF" propositions that will just spew out the mouths of Trey Wingo, Chris Berman and lord help us all, Joe Buck. What I'm referring to are those statements that begin with the word "IF" of course:
"IF Joe Flacco makes it the Super Bowl he will be the first....."
"IF Jim Harbaugh can lead this team in his first year to a Super Bowl...."
You know they're coming, you know it, I know it, and the Ravens know it. So IF you're looking for history to be made this weekend, prepare to be disappointed. This will not be this first time a rookie coach and rookie starting quarterback make it the Super Bowl and the reasons are endless. But I'll focus on the main one....the Steelers are simply, a better football team.
All bias aside, the Steelers from top to bottom are better coached, have more talent and execute much better. It's been 18 weeks since the Ravens haven't played a football game on Sunday. 18 weeks! And this hasn't been some walk in the park. Make no mistake, these Ravens play hard nosed, all out, in your face football. But like I said, they've been playing it for 18 straight weeks. That tends to wear down any player, but when it's wearing down a defense whose best 2 players are on the wrong side of 30 it's going to be a bit more of a factor.
I'm not going to point out everything that went wrong for Ben in 2004 when the Steelers played the Patriots here, but he was a rookie too, and sooner or later, as we found out with Ben, every rookie hits a wall. The wall Flacco is going to hit just happens to be made of Steel.
And my final reason why I know the Steelers will be moving on after Sunday night? THEY KNOW THERE"S STILL ANOTHER GAME TO BE PLAYED!!!!! Have you seen the interviews? Not only with the Baltimore players but with the Cardinals and Eagles as well. Every interview all I hear is Ray Lewis thanking God for what He's bestowed upon the Ravens. Or Jim Harbaugh thanking everyone in the Ravens orginization (seriously, he even thanked the cafeteria workers) for contributing to such a great season. Or Brian Dawkins, crying after the Eagles beat the Giants. And to top it all off, the friggin Cardinals dumped Gatorade on Whisenhunt!
But not the Steelers. Just another game to them when they beat San Diego (Whale's Vagina if you ask a German). Just a third time playing the Ravens this Sunday. The Steelers know that all that they've done is make it to the playoffs and won a game. And there is your major difference between the Steelers and every other team left, the Eagles, Cardinals and Ravens. They're all happy to be here and win a few games, the Steelers won't be happy until they win THE game.

Daniel Dugan Hell ya!!!! Your right the Steelers didn't even take time to relish the win over the bolts. They turn their focus straight to the Rat birds.:yesnod: Stay focosed my Steelers stay focosed!

LSWANNFAN88
07-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Great game great read