PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Math!

Stairwayto7
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Great Defense + Great Offense = Championships.

Our defense was stellar again. I expect one early drive every game, then lights out. No exception today. Most of SD yards were when the game was out of reach.
Defense A- today

Our Offense came alive again today. Ben always plays better when we can establish the run. For the second straight game, FWP looked sharp. Ben threw deep with accuracy today, time after time. The deep ball to Washington was right on the money.
Arains I thought finally coached a good game. Play calling was good, nice routes for three recievers sets. And alot of play action passing.
Offense A-

Coaching - Tomlins fake punt was, so so. I actually like the fact that he had the balls at the time to try. But that play would need some players to actually block. And on fourth and goal, up by 11. I would have kicked the ball for a 14 point lead. But our defense came up huge again.

Special teams - Didn`t attempt any FG, but extra points and Ko went well. Punting Berger put his *** into today, his best day yet. And Ben had a great punt. Then there was the huge return from Holmes, awesome.
ST - A+

Was the bye week good or bad. Good! We are ready, we know the ratbirds, we are at home.

5 rings + One this season - A record 6 Rings.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
IMO he should have never called that fake punt, the Chargers were ready for it and on your own side of the field there's no way I'd have called that but he trusts our defense and they came through for us.

jpele
01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I think like the announcers said, the Chargers had a block on,it was just bad timing to make that call (fake punt). As far as Arians goes,going with Davis instead of McHugh was plain stupid. the play calling was ok, the difference between today and other games was execution and the play of the O'line.

Steelersfan
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Great Defense + Great Offense = Championships.

Our defense was stellar again. I expect one early drive every game, then lights out. No exception today. Most of SD yards were when the game was out of reach.
Defense A- today

Our Offense came alive again today. Ben always plays better when we can establish the run. For the second straight game, FWP looked sharp. Ben threw deep with accuracy today, time after time. The deep ball to Washington was right on the money.
Arains I thought finally coached a good game. Play calling was good, nice routes for three recievers sets. And alot of play action passing.
Offense A-

Coaching - Tomlins fake punt was, so so. I actually like the fact that he had the balls at the time to try. But that play would need some players to actually block. And on fourth and goal, up by 11. I would have kicked the ball for a 14 point lead. But our defense came up huge again.

Special teams - Didn`t attempt any FG, but extra points and Ko went well. Punting Berger put his *** into today, his best day yet. And Ben had a great punt. Then there was the huge return from Holmes, awesome.
ST - A+

Was the bye week good or bad. Good! We are ready, we know the ratbirds, we are at home.

5 rings + One this season - A record 6 Rings.

Have to disagree with ya Cleve. Being as close as they were with this D behind them you have to go for the kill on 4th an goal. I didn't like the fake punt myself. At least not where they were on the field and with the score but it worked out ok. Was nice to see some crazy stuff from Mike though!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Overall this was really just a big team win. The offense moved the ball and completely took over in the 2nd half with time of possession and the running game. Ben was clutch every time we needed him.

After that opening drive TD by SD our defense just completely shut them down till the game was out of reach and they scored those 2 late TD's in garbage time. You just have to love the way this team responded with the pressure of the playoffs at hand. You can see too that they believe in Tomlin as their coach and they've got his back no matter what the situation is on the field.

I think going for it was the perfect call too SF; if you don't make it they are at literally their own 1 inch line and our defense is more than capable enough to get a stop and not allow them to drive the length of the field. At that point you have to go for the kill in a situation like that because you know you have the D to back you up if you falter.

Stairwayto7
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I like the dagger mentality. But to go up by two full scores could have been crucial. But the Defense saves the day again. Even Tomlin said in the press conference that he calls his plays knowing that the D will rise to the ocassion

Steelersfan
01-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I like the dagger mentality. But to go up by two full scores could have been crucial. But the Defense saves the day again. Even Tomlin said in the press conference that he calls his plays knowing that the D will rise to the ocassion

It really could have. But I'll take losing 3pts and having the opposing O on the 1 yd line any day!......lol Hey, if they can drive 99 yards on this D they deserve to score.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
01-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Have to disagree with ya Cleve. Being as close as they were with this D behind them you have to go for the kill on 4th an goal. I didn't like the fake punt myself. At least not where they were on the field and with the score but it worked out ok. Was nice to see some crazy stuff from Mike though!

:plus1:

Hated the fake punt on 4th and 1 ... from our 40 yard line. For one yard, I'd have respected the line up and run it play they were originally going to run before the timeout by the Bolts...since the Bolts called timeout, I'd have just punted it (we lost element of surprise and we forced them to react to us and waste a timeout).

I really liked the confidence in the O line to try on the 4th and goal, and if the runner wasn't almost fumbling the ball, I think we could have gotten in.

DIESELMAN
01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
With the D that we have, you have to go for it on 4th and goal from the 1. SD went 4 and out but the chances of making a big play with SD's back to the wall were in our favor, granted it didn't happen but I'll take that chance with our defense.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-11-2009, 10:46 PM
With our defense ya have the luxury of going for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line, and I also agree if he wasn't muffing the hand off he probably would have scored.

I think the fake punt was also called because of this Defense, when ya know ya have the best Defense it gives you faith to know they will be stopped!!

Black n Gold Panties
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
That fake punt caught me way off guard...

popstaala
01-11-2009, 10:59 PM

:plus1: if they want to go for it... go for it... i dont like our great team to look like the ****up ravens:tt02::tt02:

AZ_Steeler
01-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Their were some questionable calls by the coaching staff today... the important thing is the Steelers came out on top and hopefully the staff learned from those few mistakes. The fake punt was very questionable but when you have the Steelers defense backing you up it's worth a shot!

If this offense shows up next week it should be over pretty quick because that will put the ball in Flacco's hands!

SteelFanInIL
01-12-2009, 02:07 AM

Yeah, that made for an interesting exchange with the TWO charger fans that were at the bar tonight lol...but all's well that ends well:tt02::hilarious::hilarious:

Other than that... great game!:grin1:

Stairwayto7
01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Overall not a bad job coaching

Stairwayto7
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
What was the difference? In your opinions!

I will go with the running game. Willie Parker being injured most of the year, might of been a blessing in disguise. he is not only looking healthy now, he has fresh legs. he hasn`t taken a pounding for the entire season. Our running game playing well gives Ben some much more time. I know the ratbirds have alot better defense, ut we were Willieless in the other two meetings. A

A great running game = Big numbers for Ben.

AZ_Steeler
01-12-2009, 11:13 AM
To me the big difference was the running game as well especially when you look at the time of possession for the 3rd quarter. You can't hang onto the ball for 14 minutes and 53 seconds without a decent running game!

Granted Willie had a big game but you also have to credit the o-line and whoever was in the backfield leading the way for the ball carrier. The o-line did an outstanding job making holes and protecting Ben. Even when Ben did get sacked Moore missed the blitzer coming off the edge but from watching him try and recover and knock the blitzer off line you can tell the o-line and the extra protection held back had a sense of urgency and was doing everything they could to protect Ben.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Running game hands down:yellowthumb::tt02:

SteelFanInIL
01-12-2009, 11:19 AM
The running game... no doubt, although the Holmes return was the spark that got us going. Damn, how great was it to see that. It's about time.