PDA

View Full Version : Running game is alive and well in Pittsburgh

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Parker was able to find holes and used good vision and balance to get positive yards all day long. Thatís exactly what weíve been needing to see out of him since Sept and now heís fully healthy and has fresh legs and it showed today. You gotta hand it to him, heís playing well these last few weeks. He was even moving the pile on some runs which is something we arenít used to seeing out of him.

Once again Russel is just money each and every time he touches the ball, heís the unsung hero of this offense no question about it.

Credit the offensive line too, they opened up holes all day long. I don't care what the defensive ranks are that we've played when you run the ball well it gives you confidence and that's a big thing.

LarryNJ
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Credit the offensive line too, they opened up holes all day long. I don't care what the defensive ranks are that we've played when you run the ball well it gives you confidence and that's a big thing.

That's a good point. We've given the line **** all year but they have been playing better the last month or so. I certainly have more confidence in them now than I have all year.

Bombhunter
01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
That's a good point. We've given the line **** all year but they have been playing better the last month or so. I certainly have more confidence in them now than I have all year.
Nice of them to get their act together when it really matters! Still have a long way to go...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I didn't think I'd be saying anything like that about this unit the way they've played for most of the season but you have to hand it to them, the last month they have really come together and our running game follows suit. That's how you win in this league in the post season, you run the ball and that opens up your entire offense. If you can't run you can't win.

popstaala
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
what about a healthy willie parker... he ran all over the bolts

--- Added 1/11/2009 at 07:00 PM ---

great gameplan today by the offense... just want to add that

yinzer
01-11-2009, 08:04 PM
willie BALLED! nice job, stillers!!!!!!! the only question i have is... where was memo??

KSSteelerfan
01-11-2009, 08:09 PM
what about a healthy willie parker... he ran all over the bolts

--- Added 1/11/2009 at 07:00 PM ---

great gameplan today by the offense... just want to add that

That 27 yarder that Willie ran was a thing of beauty was it not? And the icing on the cake? When sweet Willie ran it in for a TD.:tt02::tt02:

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I've been telling all season that we can run the ball.The regular season don't mean $hit. This is a new season and we been practicing the run all year long.Now we are using what we have been practicing.They did not show any game footage for teams to study.Now Baltimore has some $hit to chew on. Make no mistake about it it will be a PA. Superbowl.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
01-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Gettysburg...are you saying B.A. has been making crappy game plans all year by design, so he could look smart now? Or just that everyone got healthy and Tomlin took the time to make sure we had a good game plan at the right time of year?

Steelersfan
01-11-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll be the first to give Parker credit. He ran hard and hit the holes hard!! Now, the OL I thought played one of their best games of the year! Was not happy about getting stopped at the GL once again! But they played well. Probab;y the best game for the OL of the year!

Stairwayto7
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
The running game is what Ben needed. This will bring Ben back to form!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I'll be the first to give Parker credit. He ran hard and hit the holes hard!! Now, the OL I thought played one of their best games of the year! Was not happy about getting stopped at the GL once again! But they played well. Probab;y the best game for the OL of the year!

You can thank Arians for that as much as Davis; first off giving Davis the ball is just a guaranteed no gain play. 2nd he bobbled the handoff and had no chance of getting in. 3rd why would you not give Russel a head start and let him pick his place, he's money in short yardage and every player on SD was in the box, he could have bounced that outside no problem.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Not sure you can fault the O line for the missed GL opportunity...he clearly had to slow down to prevent fumbling the ball. Definitely made up for it later...and yeah, O line (except for a false start and too far from line of scrimmage) played great!

How many times did we run the I formation? It seemed more than the regular season.

vidaliasteelerfan
01-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I agree the run coming back will keep Baltimore honest. But it will allow for a more balanced attack. Keep them on their toes!!!

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Gettysburg...are you saying B.A. has been making crappy game plans all year by design, so he could look smart now? Or just that everyone got healthy and Tomlin took the time to make sure we had a good game plan at the right time of year?

Check all my posts if you like. I have been backing the o-line all season long. You do not go a regular season not running the ball when you are capable.I am saying we waited to get where we are now to break out the real team that one must face in the play-offs. We can run the ball ,and we will run the ball. Check my posts dude before you ask if this is something i just came up with.

jpele
01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
You can thank Arians for that as much as Davis;

I curse everytime I see 38 on the field.He ended three drives today with his lousy play.

Steelersfan
01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I curse everytime I see 38 on the field.He ended three drives today with his lousy play.

I agree with you. I thought he was brought down way to easy for a RB that is suppose to get those tough yards.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Check all my posts if you like. I have been backing the o-line all season long. You do not go a regular season not running the ball when you are capable.I am saying we waited to get where we are now to break out the real team that one must face in the play-offs. We can run the ball ,and we will run the ball. Check my posts dude before you ask if this is something i just came up with.

I'm not questioning if you just came up with the thought, I'm asking if you truly believe B.A. is a good O coordinator, or not.

To be fair, I think he's proven he can't adapt plans to the injured personnel and needs the starters to all be healthy...but I'm willing to let him (and anyone else) prove me wrong, if it gets one for the other thumb. :tt02:

Steel Trap86
01-11-2009, 09:42 PM
This was the best game I've seen Willie play all year....the opener was big, but that was 4 months ago and we havent seen this out of him since then. He was lookin sharper then ever.

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Sometimes you have to have faith plain and simple. You can't always look at things as they appear at the moment. I had faith deep down inside we could run the ball if we made it to the play-offs. We practiced it all during the regular season in real time. We won enough to get where we are now. Last thing a team we face would expect to see in the play-offs would be what? You saw it today. You will see a lot more of it too,before we bring home number six!!! Congrats to our ":tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: whole" team effort!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2009, 12:05 AM
There is still a lot of work to be done with this group, the false starts and holds have just got too come down. They are potentially drive stalling issues that creep up ever game. We've been able to overcome them for the most part this last month or so which is encouraging but we get a lot of runs called back for holding and illegal formation, both of which drive me nuts.

AZ_Steeler
01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Not sure if anyone noticed but there was use of the fullback or at least someone in there to lead the way for Willie today. The running game was awesome, and it was nice to see the FWP finally have a break out game against a somewhat worthy opponent.

Moore was MIA because Willie was tearing it up... Moore could have put up those numbers too :D

Steelersfan
01-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Not sure if anyone noticed but there was use of the fullback or at least someone in there to lead the way for Willie today. The running game was awesome, and it was nice to see the FWP finally have a break out game against a somewhat worthy opponent.

Moore was MIA because Willie was tearing it up... Moore could have put up those numbers too :D

Moore moved the ball well too the few times he got the chance. I think this was the offense we all thought the Steelers could have. The OL played a great game, they were getting a push at the line for once and Parker was hitting the holes as best I've seen him do all year.

BillK
01-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Parker was able to find holes and used good vision and balance to get positive yards all day long. Thatís exactly what weíve been needing to see out of him since Sept and now heís fully healthy and has fresh legs and it showed today. You gotta hand it to him, heís playing well these last few weeks. He was even moving the pile on some runs which is something we arenít used to seeing out of him.

Once again Russel is just money each and every time he touches the ball, heís the unsung hero of this offense no question about it.

TG You said it all! Not much to else to say. Except, Some say, And I quote, Willie won't run 40 yds next wk. My moneys on WILLIE!! What ya think?

portcityblackandgold
01-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Its the best I have seen the offense line execute all year and it comes at the time of the year when it means the most. Kudos to the O-line, Russell, and Fast Willie:tt02: