PDA

View Full Version : Best Steelers D? (BGF32!)

Steelersfan
01-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Was looking at some old posts and came across this one by BGF32. Just wondering how you would compare this years to the 94 team? I've always thought that 94 D had one of the best LB core's to ever play. Then you add in Woodson and Lake and you have a pretty damn good D!

Personally I think I would have to put this years ahead a little. The difference to me is the secondary of this years team. They just seem to be better as a group than the 94 team. LB's are pretty close and could go either way but I'd give it to the 94 team as a unit. Would of loved to have seen Greene and Brown stay on! I'd give the edge to this years DL I think.

I don't think there's much doubt about that 76 D. 5 shutouts in a 14 game season says it all! And they only gave up 28pts the last 9 games of the season! Amazing stat!

This isn't just directed at BGF32. All comments are welcome. Just found it interesting to compare them now.

Well I'm 27 I didn't see the Steel Curtain defense play. So I'm not saying this defense is better then them. The Curtain was truely the greatest D ever. Whats interesting also about the Curtain is most consider the 1976 defense to be the best Steelers defense ever. The Steelers didn't even win the Super Bowl that year. Due to injuries to Franco and Rocky in the playoffs.

But I was thinking what is the best Steelers defense that I have seen play. To me its not even close and no its not last years Super Bowl defense. I like the 1994 Blitzburgh defense. That defense was truely amazing and I really think it would have gave the 49ers offense trouble in the Super Bowl if we hadn't lost to the Chargers in the AFC title game.

Here is the starting lineup in case you forgot.

DE-Brentson Buckner
NT-Joel Steed
DE-Ray Seals
OLB-Kevin Greene
ILB-Levon Kirkland
ILB-Chad Brown
OLB-Greg Lloyd
CB-Rod Woodson (before the ACL injury)
S-Carnell Lake
S-Darren Perry
CB-Deon Figures

http://steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2009, 11:39 PM
No doubt I would put this unit ahead of that one but it's a close call. The core of LB's back then was as good as the Steelers have ever had since the dynasty years. Man I missing seeing Kirkland just blowing up those TE's and RB's!

This D we have now though, they are just so tough in every phase, could you imagine if you matched up both of those units against each other in a bar room brawl? LOL

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Wow SF and thanks for digging this up......I think its a very interesting topic to talk about.....I have mentioned in recent weeks that I would rank this current defense ahead of the 1994 Blitzburgh defense......But I'm really torn between the two defenses.......But this current defense isn't done telling their story yet.....If they go ahead and win the Super Bowl then there is no doubt that this defense is better then that 94 unit......But I will compare the two anyway just for shits and giggles......

I think this current DL is better then that 1994 team......I would take Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel over Brentson Buckner, Joel Steed, Ray Seals..........

As for the LB core........I think they're both equal but this current defense does have Timmons rotating as the fifth LB......But really I can't say that Harrison, Woodley, Farrior, Foote are better then Lloyd,Greene,Brown, Kirkland.........I would give the edge outside to this current defense but I think inside the 94 defense was better.....But like I said the 94 unit didn't have a talented fifth LB like Timmons as the fifth LB.....But still both units are equal in my opinion.....

As for the secondary........I think the 94 unit was superior.....I know people will disagree since we have Troy in this current secondary.....But I'll take Woodson in his prime and Lake/Perry at each safey positions over this current secondary......Carnell Lake was one hell of a football player and Darren Perry was very under-rated player....He didn't get the props he deserved.....But this current secondary does have Troy Polamalu and he is a unique talent......Plus the whole secondary is solid and has depth......But I'm partial to Woodson, Lake and Perry.........In my opinion McFadden, Townsend would have the edge on Deon Figures.....Its close but I would give the edge overall to the 94 secondary..........Woodson and Lake were Pro Bowl talents and really two of the best at their respective positions......Troy is one of the best at his positions but I don't think you can say that about Taylor, Clark, McFadden/Townsend......But they're still solid overall........

Really you can't go wrong with both units......But like I said if this current defense does bring home the Lombardi then there isn't even a debate.......Championships do add to a legacy of a defense.......

champnation
01-10-2009, 12:37 AM
It's really hard to say which is the best because all of the teams D's were great. I think historically 76 is the most popular but 94's I would put up against any other D. I think this year has a great D but we will have to see how the rest of the playoffs go to throw them in there with the Jack Lambert's, Rod Woodson's, and Mel Blount's.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Lets compare the stats of the two units as well..........

Points allowed

94-234
08-223

TDs allowed

94-23
08-21

Both units gave up 7 rushing TDs and 12 passing TDs in their respective seasons...........The 94 team had 4 returns that resulted in a TD.....But I don't know if those were special teams TDs or INT/fumble returns for TDs.....This year there was two returns for TDs and they both were Ben pick sixes.....So really both the 94 and 08 defenses only gave up 19 TD's.........

Total first downs

94-262
08-240

3rd downs

94-72/225
08-71/226

total yds allowed

94-270.4
08-237.2

passing yds allowed

94-179.6
08-156.9

rushing yds allowed

94-90.8
08-80.2

sacks

94-55
08-51

INTs

94-17
08-20

Steelersfan
01-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Lets compare the stats of the two units as well..........

Points allowed

94-234
08-223

TDs allowed

94-23
08-21

Both units gave up 7 rushing TDs and 12 passing TDs in their respective seasons...........The 94 team had 4 returns that resulted in a TD.....But I don't know if those were special teams TDs or INT/fumble returns for TDs.....This year there was two returns for TDs and they both were Ben pick sixes.....So really both the 94 and 08 defenses only gave up 19 TD's.........

Total first downs

94-262
08-240

3rd downs

94-72/225
08-71/226

total yds allowed

94-270.4
08-237.2

passing yds allowed

94-179.6
08-156.9

rushing yds allowed

94-90.8
08-80.2

sacks

94-55
08-51

INTs

94-17
08-20

Just goes to show you how good both D's were......lol Another thought, the 94 team did have a better run game (IMO) than this years team and we all know that helps a D out. So this years team has done damn well for the lack of offense.

I'm really surprised at how close the 3rd downs are...... Guess it tells how important that stat is to a D.

DIESELMAN
01-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Woodson had 2 INT's returned for TD's in 1994, one in week 11 (37 yards) against the Bills and another in week 14 (27 yards) against the Bengals. Those were the only defensive TD's scored that year. Another thing the 94 team had was 4 defensive Pro Bowlers- Woodson, Lake, Greene and Lloyd. Like you said Danny, I'll wait to see what they do in the playoffs, other then that, I'll take either one of them, behind the 76 squad of course :greengrin:

Steelersfan
01-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Woodson had 2 INT's returned for TD's in 1994, one in week 11 (37 yards) against the Bills and another in week 14 (27 yards) against the Bengals. Those were the only defensive TD's scored that year. Another thing the 94 team had was 4 defensive Pro Bowlers- Woodson, Lake, Greene and Lloyd. Like you said Danny, I'll wait to see what they do in the playoffs, other then that, I'll take either one of them, behind the 76 squad of course :greengrin:

32 said that........lol But I know what you mean.

popstaala
01-10-2009, 01:35 AM
i would say this years defense is better overall... considering our tough schedule

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Just goes to show you how good both D's were......lol Another thought, the 94 team did have a better run game (IMO) than this years team and we all know that helps a D out. So this years team has done damn well for the lack of offense.

I'm really surprised at how close the 3rd downs are...... Guess it tells how important that stat is to a D.

Yea I thought it was very interesting that both defenses were so close on 3rd downs.....But here is the T.O.P. for the Steelers offenses both years....

94-31:58
08-31:41

So yes the Steelers had a better rushing offense in 1994 but this offense still controlled the ball as much as that 1994 team..........Only 17 seconds difference on the season average.........I thought that was interesting as well.....You would have thought it wouldn't have been that close considering our offensive woes this year and especially how our running game dropped off this year.......

Steelersfan
01-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Yea I thought it was very interesting that both defenses were so close on 3rd downs.....But here is the T.O.P. for the Steelers offenses both years....

94-31:58
08-31:41

So yes the Steelers had a better rushing offense in 1994 but this offense still controlled the ball as much as that 1994 team..........Only 17 seconds difference on the season average.........I thought that was interesting as well.....You would have thought it wouldn't have been that close considering our offensive woes this year and especially how our running game dropped off this year.......

Interesting stat with the TOP. Got me thinking to how this years team really has moved the ball ok at times. They just suck scoring in the red zone. Did you happen to see the stats for scoring on each O?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 01:53 AM

Townsend and Woodley scored TDs for this defense this year......But what I meant by those return TDs.......That 94 team gave up 4 TD on returns and I don't know if those were by the special teams or the Steelers offense giving those up on INT's or fumbles.....This year in 2008 there was two TDs scored on returns against us and those were both pick sixes by Ben.........No speceal teams TDs this year which is crazy....Knock on wood so I don't jinx them...lol So that is why I stated that both defenses only gave up 19 TDs in their respective seasons.......

I'm kind of torn between these two defenses.....I wasn't alive in 76 so I didn't see that defense....But when you record 5 shut outs in a season like that team did in 76 then I have no problem with that defense being regarded as the best defense of all time.....Didn't Terry Bradshaw also suffer an injury that season and miss 5 or 6 games? Then of course Franco and Rocky going down in the play-offs prevented the team from winning another Super Bowl that year.....I wasn't alive in those years but I do know my Stillers history......

--- Added 1/9/2009 at 11:53 PM ---

Interesting stat with the TOP. Got me thinking to how this years team really has moved the ball ok at times. They just suck scoring in the red zone. Did you happen to see the stats for scoring on each O?

Dude the scoring on both offenses is close....Really its crazy how similar the stats are form 1994 and 2008.....

1994-316 total points

2008-347 total points

Total TD's

1994-35

2008-38

Steelersfan
01-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Townsend and Woodley scored TDs for this defense this year......But what I meant by those return TDs.......That 94 team gave up 4 TD on returns and I don't know if those were by the special teams or the Steelers offense giving those up on INT's or fumbles.....This year in 2008 there was two TDs scored on returns against us and those were both pick sixes by Ben.........No speceal teams TDs this year which is crazy....Knock on wood so I don't jinx them...lol So that is why I stated that both defenses only gave up 19 TDs in their respective seasons.......

I'm kind of torn between these two defenses.....I wasn't alive in 76 so I didn't see that defense....But when you record 5 shut outs in a season like that team did in 76 then I have no problem with that defense being regarded as the best defense of all time.....Didn't Terry Bradshaw also suffer an injury that season and miss 5 or 6 games? Then of course Franco and Rocky going down in the play-offs prevented the team from winning another Super Bowl that year.....I wasn't alive in those years but I do know my Stillers history......

Bradshaw was hurt. Don't remember why since I was like 7......lol But his replace (don't recall name) was like 6-0 or something in his place. Only reason I remember that is because I don't think he threw a TD in those games.....lol Just shows how badass that D was! Go 6-0 and have a QB not throw a TD!! And ya, pretty sure Harris was hurt come playoff time.

OK, the scoring really threw me. I wouldn't have guessed they would even be close.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Bradshaw was hurt. Don't remember why since I was like 7......lol But his replace (don't recall name) was like 6-0 or something in his place. Only reason I remember that is because I don't think he threw a TD in those games.....lol Just shows how badass that D was! Go 6-0 and have a QB not throw a TD!! And ya, pretty sure Harris was hurt come playoff time.

OK, the scoring really threw me. I wouldn't have guessed they would even be close.

Mike Kruczek was the backup in 76.......Man you and Dieselman were both lucky to grow up in that era and see those teams......I do have a respect for this great game of football and our Stillers....I'm old school mixed in with new school....:lol:

Steelersfan
01-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Mike Kruczek was the backup in 76.......Man you and Dieselman were both lucky to grow up in that era and see those teams......I do have a respect for this great game of football and our Stillers....I'm old school mixed in with new school....:lol:

I just wish I would have been a few years older to appreciate it more.....lol Being up here they didn't always show the Steelers, but I can tell you if they were on TV I was watching!....:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 02:05 AM

I guess in 94 the complaining was about the same.....Damn offense ruining our defense.....I was 15 in 1994....lol The stats are close and the record was the same.....Both teams were 12-4.....I just hope this team doesn't lose to the Chargers like that 94 team....Of course that 94 team lost in the AFC title game....lol But these damn stats are so damn eerie....:lol:

Steelersfan
01-10-2009, 02:11 AM
I guess in 94 the complaining was about the same.....Damn offense ruining our defense.....I was 15 in 1994....lol The stats are close and the record was the same.....Both teams were 12-4.....I just hope this team doesn't lose to the Chargers like that 94 team....Of course that 94 team lost in the AFC title game....lol But these damn stats are so damn eerie....:lol:

Screw that! Chargers are going down this time!! I really felt in 94 that was the year for #5 but they messed that up......lol Then the damn SB with the Cowboys, I thought damn straight! We don't lose to the girls in the SB! But nope......:banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Screw that! Chargers are going down this time!! I really felt in 94 that was the year for #5 but they messed that up......lol Then the damn SB with the Cowboys, I thought damn straight! We don't lose to the girls in the SB! But nope......:banging:

Trust me I like our chances this Sunday.....I have the Steelers winning and I really want to see this defense shut out the Chargers.....I think they're that talented to do so.....

But when looking at those stats it was freaky......The stats were close and both teams were 12-4.....Both teams playing the Chargers in the post-season...lol

I thought the 94 Blitzburgh defense would have gave the 49ers a game in the Super Bowl.......I don't know if we would have won but I don't think the game would have been a blow out.......

As for Super Bowl XXX....Neil can rot in hell for all I care......:lol: I will never forgive Neil.......He made Larry Brown a ton of money that day....lol

DIESELMAN
01-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Townsend and Woodley scored TDs for this defense this year......But what I meant by those return TDs.......That 94 team gave up 4 TD on returns and I don't know if those were by the special teams or the Steelers offense giving those up on INT's or fumbles.....This year in 2008 there was two TDs scored on returns against us and those were both pick sixes by Ben.........No speceal teams TDs this year which is crazy....Knock on wood so I don't jinx them...lol So that is why I stated that both defenses only gave up 19 TDs in their respective seasons.......My fault, I misread it......there was 1 pick 6, 2 KR's and 1 fumble returned for a TD by the opposition that year. Sorry it took me so long to reply, had to go download some M-1's, MAN!!! Those things are a blast to ****ing drive!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 02:49 AM
My fault, I misread it......there was 1 pick 6, 2 KR's and 1 fumble returned for a TD by the opposition that year. Sorry it took me so long to reply, had to go download some M-1's, MAN!!! Those things are a blast to ****ing drive!!!!!

No problem Tom......Thanks for finding that info out about the 4 returns......

DIESELMAN
01-10-2009, 02:51 AM

Yeah that was the year we got a big head, had a video and everything. Thats what happens when you lose focus. ****ERS!!! LOL

Screw that! Chargers are going down this time!! I really felt in 94 that was the year for #5 but they messed that up......lol Then the damn SB with the Cowboys, I thought damn straight! We don't lose to the girls in the SB! But nope......:banging:Yup, ****ing Kneel O'Donnell!!!!! We had it bro, we ****ing had it in the bag!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah that was the year we got a big head, had a video and everything. Thats what happens when you lose focus. ****ERS!!! LOL

Yup, ****ing Kneel O'Donnell!!!!! We had it bro, we ****ing had it in the bag!!!

Yea I remember the Super Bowl video........But dude how does Alfred Pupunu get so wide open?.....Alfred ****ing Pupunu.....Didn't Tim McKyer blow that coverage on Pupunu?.....I'm still stunned about Alfred Pupunu......lol

As for Neil......The Steelers trailed only 20-17 when he threw that 2nd INT and we were driving so yea I agree the Steelers might have had it......

DIESELMAN
01-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Yea I remember the Super Bowl video........But dude how does Alfred Pupunu get so wide open?.....Alfred ****ing Pupunu.....Didn't Tim McKyer blow that coverage on Pupunu?.....I'm still stunned about Alfred Pupunu......lol

As for Neil......The Steelers trailed only 20-17 when he threw that 2nd INT and we were driving so yea I agree the Steelers might have had it......
Yeah no ****....Pupunu and Stan ****ing Humphries!!!! LMFAO!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah no ****....Pupunu and Stan ****ing Humphries!!!! LMFAO!!!!!

Stan Humphries........lol Don't forget Natrone Means Business....lol For real how we lost to those douche bags is still unbelievable......

DIESELMAN
01-10-2009, 03:15 AM
Stan Humphries........lol Don't forget Natrone Means Business....lol For real how we lost to those douche bags is still unbelievable......
Its definitely on my top 5 list of disappointments....I seriously try not to think about it, otherwise, I'd get locked up :greengrin:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Its definitely on my top 5 list of disappointments....I seriously try not to think about it, otherwise, I'd get locked up :greengrin:

I hear you and I would be locked up right with you.......Actually that loss is the worst for me.....I know losing a Super Bowl is supposed to be worse but at least the Cowboys were a legit team......They were a very talented team......Plus the Steelers over game a 3-4 start that season and lost Rod Woodson in the first game of the season with a torn ACL.....He did come back to play a few snaps in the Super Bowl loss......So the Steelers over came some bumps to even reach the Super Bowl.......

But losing to that Chargers team in Pittsburgh was a disgrace and as you can tell I'm still pissed......:lol:

Losing Super Bowl XXX is second on my list which Neil can go screw a donkey.........:lol:

DIESELMAN
01-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Here's a stat for you Danny.....

Since we've had a player win DPOY going back to 1972, we are 12-5 in the playoffs, with 3 Super Bowl wins.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Here's a stat for you Danny.....

Since we've had a player win DPOY going back to 1972, we are 12-5 in the playoffs, with 3 Super Bowl wins.

That is an interesting stat..........Hopefully Harrison adds to his DPOY with a ring........With this defense I like his chances very well................

blitzburgh58
01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Like popstaala said in the first thread, the strength of the schedule cannot be ignored, but we haven't accomplished anything yet like the 1994 team except great stats. When we get the six-pack i'll throw this defense in a heated debate with the 74-76 Steel curtain and give them a name of there own!
"RENEGADE BRIGADE", but we got to conclude the great story thats being written.:cope:

JensK
01-12-2009, 05:03 AM
I just realized something after watching the Chargers game and looking at the stats. Yesterday, our normal key players played pretty bad. Clark and Troy was really nowhere. Troy played terrible and Clark had like one tackle overall. Ike Taylor played terrible, allowing a touchdown and a few big gains. Then out of nowhere came guys like Foote and stepped up with an Interception and all. So what really is great about our defence is not the few key players we have, but all the players on this defence will step up when called upon them.

AZ_Steeler
01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
It was kind of an off day for the defense but to give up only 15 yards rushing was very impressive! The offense for once this season was able to carry the load and defense was able to rely on the offense this time around. Now if the Steelers can just get that mixture of the O and D clicking on the same day...