PDA

View Full Version : "Trophy Towel?" - Will you be ordering one?

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Terrible! NFL 'Trophy Towel' plays off 'Burgh original

By Rob Biertempfel (rbiertempfel@tribweb.com), TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 9, 2009

Steelers fans' beloved Terrible Towel has been trampled, torn, sullied, spit on and used as a handkerchief. The terrycloth rooter has been copied by teams in practically every pro league.

But ol' Terrible, a Pittsburgh original, never has been replaced. The latest copycat is coming not from another team, but the National Football League itself.

The NFL has given its blessing to a jumbo-sized "Trophy Towel," which will be draped over players on the field after 1ʍoq ɹǝdns XLIII. It will be hawked in television ads immediately after the game and, of course, sold in stores nationwide.

"They're trying to piggyback off Myron Cope's wondrous product," said Steelers play-by-play announcer Bill Hillgrove. "It's a cheap imitation. I think it's wrong."

Hillgrove shared the broadcast booth for 12 seasons with Cope, the colorful creator of the Terrible Towel. Cope died last year.

The Trophy Towel will be produced by Wisconsin-based McArthur Towel and Sports -- the company that makes the Terrible Towel.

Although the Trophy Towel might receive a rude reception in Pittsburgh, the NFL hopes it will fly off store shelves like the hot-selling "locker room edition" championship T-shirts and hats.

"We thought it was time to add something new," said Leo Kane, the NFL's vice president of consumer products. "The towel just felt right."

The league won't reveal much about its newbie towel. Publicity photos are locked in the NFL's New York office until after next week's AFC and NFC championship games.
Without being too descriptive, Kane said the Trophy Towel will be heavier and much larger -- 24 inches by 42 inches -- than the Terrible Towel. It will be available only in white, not any particular team's colors.

"It was never, ever intended to try to cannibalize the great tradition of the Terrible Towel," Kane said. "We wanted to make sure it was different."

Different? Maybe. But it still seems sacrilegious to Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith.

"Would you want to wave a towel (for another team) when we all know where it started?" Smith said. "Everybody knows where the idea came from. I'm always shocked when they have towels in other stadiums.

"It started here, so why would anyone else want to have a towel? Why not kazoos?"
Steelers fans have bought countless Terrible Towels since Cope came up with the idea in 1975.

Originally, Cope urged fans to twirl simple yellow dish towels to cheer on the Steelers. The concept evolved into a heavyweight, golden towel emblazoned with "Myron Cope's Official Terrible Towel" and the team logo.

Proceeds from Terrible Towel sales have generated more than $2.2 million for Allegheny Valley School, which assists mentally disabled children and adults. Cope donated the trademark to the school in 1996.

The Trophy Towel will retail for $25, three times as much as the Terrible Towel.
"For (the NFL) to piggyback on it and try to make money doing it, I have an ethical problem with that," Hillgrove said. "Shame on the NFL for doing it."

The Trophy Towel is only the latest Terrible wannabee. Green Bay Packers fans wave "Title Towels" at Lambeau Field. The Vancouver Canucks' faithful began bringing white towels to playoff games in the early 1980s.

After beating the Steelers 31-14 three weeks ago, Tennessee Titans players LenDale White and Keith Bullock stomped a Terrible Towel on the sideline.

On Saturday, however, White and Bullock will have their own towels to wave. The Titans will hand out thousands of blue rally towels for their AFC Divisional playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens at LP Field.

"Cheap imitations," Hillgrove grumbled.

For its debut game, only 50,000 to 60,000 Trophy Towels will be produced.

"If the Steelers win their sixth 1ʍoq ɹǝdns, we'd love to think there'll be just as many Terrible Towels sold as always," Kane said. "We want the Trophy Towel to be something (about which) Steelers fans would say, 'This is just something else to add to my collection.' "

ejsteeler
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
:willybs:
There is only one towel, sports related, that I will ever purchase. I agree with Bill, it's a cheap imitation of a great iconinc symbol. :imho:

yinzer
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
YOU.........HAVE...................GOT............ ....TO...................BE....................... ..F***ING.........................KIDDING......... .......................ME......................... .

memphissteelergirl
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
:bsflag:

AZ_Steeler
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
"We thought it was time to add something new," said Leo Kane, the NFL's vice president of consumer products. "The towel just felt right."

Something new??? How about rip off an idea that has not been successfully duplicated! It won't sell... it actually sounds like a dumb idea.

ejsteeler
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Something new??? How about rip off an idea that has not been successfully duplicated! It won't sell... it actually sounds like a dumb idea.

You're right of course, but even if it does sell, I can tell you one market that will be at the bottom...... :cope:

AZ_Steeler
01-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I'll buy one... I'll then my wipe *** with it and send it back to the NFL! :D

ejsteeler
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM

:rofl: There ya go, a concerted effort to do that and our market would be right at the top...:yellowthumb:

memphissteelergirl
01-09-2009, 11:00 AM

:yuck1: Thanks for that visual.

But in principle, I agree. :greengrin:

SteelFanInIL
01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
:whatever: There's only one :bigtowel: :herewego:

popstaala
01-09-2009, 03:10 PM
what the ****

Dean Denton
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Sorry, is this something they are doing for all the teams? If they are making Towels for all the teams, then it will fail. No one is going to want to copy the Steelers. We are loved by all, but haited by true NFL fans that follow other teams. Everyone who follows footballs know that the entire Steeler Nation would make fum of them more then we do now....I cant see this working, and I am curious to see how and what this is all really about....

TampaSteelGirl
01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh hey! There is something I would love to.....NEVER...NEVER....NEVER...EVER purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they HIGH?????!!! :willybs:

SteelerBee43
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
There is only one :towelwave: imitated but never duplicated and why would any non-Steeler fan want to purchase something that they know was created as a big money market idea because of the popularity of our Terrible Towel and what it represents and thats "THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS"and "The Fans".....

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I'll never buy one.

tuggysteel822
01-09-2009, 05:26 PM
****in NFL...the league is a joke. It's ridiculous, even if the Steelers win the SB, because how can you take away from something that iconic and great...

blackngold29
01-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I've heard of teams copying other teams, but the League copying a team? Seriously?

Bombhunter
01-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Count me out too...I've got my Terrible Towel, and that's the only one for me...The Steelers need to win this weekend, and play the Titans again and make their fans use their little blue hankies to wipe away their tears....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2009, 06:20 PM
That's the dumbest thing I ever heard, regardless of whether they are ripping off the city of Pittsburgh and Cope's idea along with every other NFL team that waves some cheap imitation of a towel for their team. I swear this league just gets dumber and dumber.

DIESELMAN
01-09-2009, 06:56 PM
What a crock of ****!!! Leave it to the NFL to come up with a lame *** idea. Trophy towel???? WTF!!!!!

Iron City South
01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Roger Goddell is a money grubbing whore ...

Thank you .... that is all.

Dee Mca
01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Wheres the disclaimer saying "A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this item benifits the Allegheny Valley School. A private non-profit organization providing residential and therapeutic programs throughout Pennsylvania for children and adults with mental retardation."? I didn't see that anywhere in the post. I got my Terrible Towel. I don't want some cheap imatation. I hope NFL takes a big loss on this.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
This is fucting outrageous. It's pathetic enough that other teams try to copy this ....un fucting believable !!

floodcitygirl
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Imitation is supposed to be the greatest form of flattery, I get that. I admit that I think it's stupid looking to me when I see fans of other teams waving their towels....I mean....a white towel traditionally means surrender...right??? But I can guarantee this, none of these NFL bastards will ever be in my home. :cope:

DIESELMAN
01-09-2009, 09:27 PM
a white towel traditionally means surrender...right???
Thats right!! I bet the NFL didn't even think about that!!

greennick
01-10-2009, 04:28 AM
I mean....a white towel traditionally means surrender...right???

This is why they are trying to get all other teams to have them. It represents their O in the face of Steel Curtain 2.

floodcitygirl
01-10-2009, 09:31 AM
This is why they are trying to get all other teams to have them. It represents their O in the face of Steel Curtain 2.Good thought!

Black n Gold Panties
01-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I think we should all buy one, then donate them to our local Humane society to line the bottoms of litter boxes with.

Dee Mca
01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
But Vick Jerseys line litter boxes so much better!!!!

Black n Gold Panties
01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Let's make Vick clean out the boxes and wipe them down with his jersey.

steelers4life66
01-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Proceeds from Terrible Towel sales have generated more than $2.2 million for Allegheny Valley School, which assists mentally disabled children and adults. Cope donated the trademark to the school in 1996.You can damn well bet that those profits will not be going to help anyone but the NFL. Cheap copy cat *******s. Titans you suck too.:bigfinger:

BlitzburghNation
01-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Well they can kiss my----->http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/smostle/smileys/mooningshrub.jpg

blackngold29
01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
So I was thinking about the other day and here's my idea: If the Steelers do make it and win the big one, when the NFL guys run out on the field and say "Here take your Trophy Towel" .... Every player refuses to accept it, perhaps some stomping could occur, and they all find Terrible Towels somewhere to wave! What could be more embarassing for a league that copied Myron's idea?

Dean Denton
01-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I loved the Towels the Titans had in their choke job against the Ravens. Someone should have told them that the Ravens didn't like what they did to our towel either, and the Ravens were going to make sure the Titan fans got a good dose of the AFCN for their troubles...lol

Hburg
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
How about the fact that the Terrible Towel was never created as a money making gig like this "trophy towel." Cope started the idea to rally the fans behind the team, then when the Towel became established, he used the proceeds to benefit a charity. I doubt that the NFL and Goodell are donating any money of their trophy towel profits to charity.

PS: I can still buy a Terrible Towel for $5 in Pittsburgh....and this trophy towel is already 5 times that much!

BuFu

Dean Denton
01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
How about the fact that the Terrible Towel was never created as a money making gig like this "trophy towel." Cope started the idea to rally the fans behind the team, then when the Towel became established, he used the proceeds to benefit a charity. I doubt that the NFL and Goodell are donating any money of their trophy towel profits to charity.

PS: I can still buy a Terrible Towel for $5 in Pittsburgh....and this trophy towel is already 5 times that much!

BuFu Yeah I goy both my Terrible Towels on line for like $6.95 or something like that. Whats the price of these other towels? And what was the deal with those LP towels the Titans had?

Steel Trap86
01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey apparently Antonio Cromartie disrespected the Terrible Towel again as the Chargers were coming out yesterday. CBS didnt show it, but he had a Towel and whiped his cleets with it before getting smashed and losing the game.

ejsteeler
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
To hell with the Madden cover curse, try on the "disrespecting the Terrible Towel" curse......:lol: :cope:

lloydfan4life
01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
How totally stupid!! :evilshake:

That's just messed up! At least come up with something ORIGINAL! :duh:

Oh.....and I agree with steelers4life66..... Titans, you suck too! :bigfinger:
Enjoy the playoffs.......... FROM YOUR COUCH, LOSERS! :lol:

Dean Denton
01-12-2009, 02:52 PM
The other 31 teams should use pom poms...But hey, they can get team colors so it would look cool....lol

Hburg
01-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah I goy both my Terrible Towels on line for like $6.95 or something like that. Whats the price of these other towels? And what was the deal with those LP towels the Titans had?

These "trophy towels" are supposedly going to be sold for about $25 a piece!

Hey apparently Antonio Cromartie disrespected the Terrible Towel again as the Chargers were coming out yesterday. CBS didnt show it, but he had a Towel and whiped his cleets with it before getting smashed and losing the game.

Mess with the Towel, and it's a certainty it will come back to you.

To hell with the Madden cover curse, try on the "disrespecting the Terrible Towel" curse......:lol: :cope:

The rest of the NFL has cheerleaders, whoo hoo for them. But the Steelers have the Terrible Towel. It goes beyond a cheerleader because it makes every fan in the stadium or at home a cheerleader for the team! At the same time, players on the team can join the revery by waving a Towel as well. It's a uniting factor between the players on the team and the fans. Both sides enjoy and embrace it, so both sides also get equally upset when another fan or player disrespects or disgraces it.

BuFu

blackngold29
01-12-2009, 06:48 PM
The other 31 teams should use pom poms...But hey, they can get team colors so it would look cool....lol

Or like Aaron Smith said in the article, Use kazoos!

CNY_STEELER_FAN
01-12-2009, 08:12 PM
It's too bad the Rooney's or someone doesn't make a big stink and at least force the NFL to donate at least 50% of the proceeds to a (PA) charity?

I also agree about the SuperBowl ... if/when the Steelers win, they should refuse to accept the imitation 'trophy towels' and borrow a real fans Terrible Towel.

AZ_Steeler
01-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Here's the first glimpse of the trophy towel:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4596/p5662953dtll1.jpg

TampaSteelGirl
01-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Here's the first glimpse of the trophy towel:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4596/p5662953dtll1.jpg

Still ain't buying it....it does look nice though but ain't buying it!

ejsteeler
01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
yeah, that can keep that crap :evilshake:

Dee Mca
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
I'll just buy myself 3 new "terrible towels" knowing my money is going to support a worthwhile charity and not the greedy nfl. As someone else said the players should turn those rags down and wave the real deal come sunday nite. When we win the Bowl thats Super!!!!

igor0190
01-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Hah, there's not a true Steelers fan out there that would spend money on the NFL's "trophy towel". We already have one that actually means something. They are going to sell like 15 of these and then have to ship all of them overseas along with the Cardinal "superbowl champion" merchandise!

Serves them right.

ejsteeler
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
That 's a good point, the NFL has an awful lot riding on these things, especially if the Cards win...I better not see the Ref's blowing this game or my suspicion will rise if you know what I mean....:yesnod:

Dean Denton
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Hah, there's not a true Steelers fan out there that would spend money on the NFL's "trophy towel". We already have one that actually means something. They are going to sell like 15 of these and then have to ship all of them overseas along with the Cardinal "superbowl champion" merchandise!

Serves them right.
you know what??? Because the NFL stands to lose money on these towels if the Steelers win they could rig the SB. We could all end up very sad Sunday night....

ejsteeler
01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
dam dude, we were reading each others minds.......get out of my head! :lol:

TampaSteelGirl
01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
you know what??? Because the NFL stands to lose money on these towels if the Steelers win they could rig the SB. We could all end up very sad Sunday night....

OMG! Please don't say that...i won't sleep for the next 2 nights worrying about that! :rant2:

Dean Denton
01-30-2009, 03:44 PM
dam dude, we were reading each others minds.......get out of my head! :lol:
Oh God, why did we think that at the same time?

ejsteeler
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Intelligence I would think :yesnod: :bunny:

Dean Denton
01-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Intelligence I would think :yesnod: :bunny: OK, I'll go with that. If I were to ask anyone here in Seattle they would say Karma you bitches....lol I would have no idea what they are talking about of course...lol

blackngold29
01-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Gee that picture looks hideious. Er the quality is fine, but the piece of garbage in the middle is some kind of a joke.

I hope every Steeler has enough sense to turn it down if and when they are offered.

jackhammer1
01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
:peebrowns: I say **** on their trophy towel. WE HAVE OUR OWN TOWEL, NFL DIRTBAGS! IT'S CALLED TERRIBLE AND DON'T THINK IT'S CREATOR ISN'T WATCHING!
GO MYRON AND GO STEELERS!:towelwave:

NHStlrfan
01-30-2009, 10:05 PM

The best cure for this! Steelers win! Steelers fans don't buy it. This becomes yet another dead issue! When we win boycot this and it will end up on the scrap heap!

Rnightv
01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Knowing the NFL Win or not they've already mass produced them. Funny thing about it is I bet they couldn't even give em away in Pittsbugh.

Forged in Steel
01-31-2009, 02:11 AM
The towel isn't even team colors!

blackngold29
01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I thought that this (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&page=hotread20/garber)was a good article about the Towel. Hope everyone enjoys.

AZ_Steeler
02-02-2009, 02:22 AM
I just purchased by Championship gear... Hat, Shirt, and DVD! :) I REFUSE to buy the Trophy Towel!!!

ANy one actually going to buy the "Trophy Towel"?

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Nope but I will be purchasing my official Super Bowl XLIII Terrible Towel with the games score.....Hell I can buy three for the price of one Trophy Towel...lol Plus when you buy a Terrible Towel it goes toward a great cause.....

NCSteeler
02-02-2009, 06:49 AM
NEVER. Waiting on the real towel with Six SB logos on it!!!!!

steelersgal86
02-02-2009, 06:51 AM
here is this one....and they will put the score on it...

http://news.steelers.com/catalog/product/102930/

LarryNJ
02-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Nope but I will be purchasing my official Super Bowl XLIII Terrible Towel with the games score.....Hell I can buy three for the price of one Trophy Towel...lol Plus when you buy a Terrible Towel it goes toward a great cause.....

You got that right my brother!

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-02-2009, 09:05 AM
I'll buy two trophy towels, one to s... on and one to cover it with.

GO STEELERS, WE HAVE THE ONE AND ONLY TERRIBLE TOWEL, AND NEXT SEASON, WE WILL SHOW YOU OUR TOWEL AGAIN, AND AGAIN YOU WILL BE ENVIOUS AND TRY TO EMULATE US WITH YOUR LAME ATTEMPT AT PRODUCING A SYMBOL FOR YOUR SORRY *** TEAM, AND GOOD LUCK.

YOU WILL NEVER BE THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS. "SO GET A KAZOO".(not my words)

have a nice day, and while your at it Cardinal fans, remember what your mayor did to the Terrible Towel.

greennick
02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Anyone see how much the NFL is plugging the towels on their site?

There are photos:
http://static.nfl.com/content/catch_all/nfl_image/Steelers_Champions_090201_IA.jpg

Deals:
Buy a hat, shirt, dvd and trophy towel for $90.

When you go to buy something:

You may also like....
McArthur Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XLIII Champions 24x42 Trophy Towel
Item#: 3459356
SBXLIII Champs Bundle - only $89.99!**

Our Price: $24.99

Nobody better get suckered in and buy one...

igor0190
02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Where do I buy the DVD?
I have one from XL and have to add to my quality movie collection.

AZ_Steeler
02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Where do I buy the DVD?
I have one from XL and have to add to my quality movie collection.

http://nflshop.com

igor0190
02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks! Just ordered mine! (edit: DVD! NOT A TOWEL)

Just a heads up same DVD looks to be a little cheaper on Amazon.com...

Hburg
02-02-2009, 09:17 PM
What's the point of the trophy towel? Especially when you can get a Terrible Towel that says the same thing but is cooler and looks better and can wave it easier.

BuFu

Prosdo
02-02-2009, 10:14 PM
No thanks! I will be purchasing my Steelers Myron Cope 6 Super Bowl one or the Super Bowl XLIII Terrible Towel.