PDA

View Full Version : Overtime rule change...

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
What are your thoughts on changing the overtime rule in the NFL? I for one think its time for a change. The game has changed so much since 1974, and like they said last night on Inside The NFL, 68% of the time the team that wins the coin toss, wins the game alomst everytime on the first drive. That was not the case back in the 70's or early 80's. The head of officials, Mike Poopie Pants or whatever his name is, said that, "because of injury they would not change this rule." However most of the owners wanted it changed, but not enough of them did. You need 24 owners to make the change. I think a 10 minute period or just another 15 would do. I think the way the game has changed into more of an offensive game, that both teams should have a chance to touch the ball. I dont see injury being the reason this rule is not changed. If they were so worried about that, they would cut Pre-Season to two games. Your thoughts....

ejsteeler
01-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I say leave it as it is. It puts added pressure on everyone. I don't buy the arguement about everyone getting a chance. That's like saying we should give the losing team one more chance at the end of a game. You either win it in regualtion or hold the the other team and score yourself in OT. :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm fine with it the way it is and yes I feel the same way about OT when the Steelers are the short end of the stick in OT......The rules are the rules and the players know this going in.....Except if your McNabb of course....lol

jpele
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
It's good the way it is. To say both teams don't get a chance is false,isn't defense a part of the game. If you lose the toss its the job of your defense to get the ball back for your offense.

popstaala
01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
change or not its still the same... defense has to make a stop and offense has to score...

BR7
01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Keep the OT the same and get rid of the gay 2 point conversions.. Adopt some of the XFL rules for FG points (based off distance). discuss. lol.

ejsteeler
01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Keep the OT the same and get rid of the gay 2 point conversions.. Adopt some of the XFL rules for FG points (based off distance). discuss. lol.

I'm not into that either. A FG is a FG. I like the 2 point conversions though. One thing I would like to see change is the challenge rule. Screw leaving it up to the booth in the last 2 minutes. You have your challenges and you either use them or you don't regardless of the clock.

BR7
01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Two pointers suck, IMO, lol. Another thing they should do is switch the Def Pass Interference. College should be 'spot foul' big boys should get the 15 yarder. Not vice versa.

I think the loss of the two point tries would be offset perfectly with FGs 39 yards and in = 3, 49 - 40 = 4. 50+ = 5.

edit
eh.. maybe 45 yards and in = 3, 46+ = 4. 5 is just too many

popstaala
01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
i agree with everything exept for the helmet to helmet contact and hitting like ryan clark on welker....they should take it out...that is just straight up "pansy" football.

ejsteeler
01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Two pointers suck, IMO, lol. Another thing they should do is switch the Def Pass Interference. College should be 'spot foul' big boys should get the 15 yarder. Not vice versa.

I think the loss of the two point tries would be offset perfectly with FGs 39 yards and in = 3, 49 - 40 = 4. 50+ = 5.

edit

That does't sound to bad actually. The arguement you'll probably get with that is how much harder it is in some stadiums than in others and that they should get more points, yadda yadda yadda.....

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
So all of you say keep it, its fair the way it is. But really.... Its not. Sure the Def can score, and there are teams with really good Def out there. Like ours. Our Def is way better then our Off, Ten times better. But I bet a million dollars when we win a coin toss we take the ball because the odds still favor you when you do. I think both teams should have a chance to score with their Off. How many times does a Def score? Really???

ejsteeler
01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Both offenses had a chance to score all game.

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Both offenses had a chance to score all game.This is true, but with that, a game should not be decided by a coin toss. If the odds were what they were from 74 to 78 I would agree, but the league has changed a lot, and with that you need to compensate in more area's. The coin toss is deciding games much like the ref's and it should be more about the players and the fans. The sport has become to big, not to give guys like Ben a chance to tie a game or win it if we dont win a coin toss. God I hope I'm not jinxing us....lol

ejsteeler
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Then they should score more points before the game is over and not let it be decided by a coin toss. Besdies, it's not decided by a coin toss, it's decided by the best play after the toss. Also, I think that would create more tie games and not actual wins.

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Then they should score more points before the game is over and not let it be decided by a coin toss. Besdies, it's not decided by a coin toss, it's decided by the best play after the toss. Also, I think that would create more tie games and not actual wins.True you could have more tie games, but it has become a lot easier to get into field goal range because they have changed the placement of the ball on kick offs a few times over the years and your only having to go 35 yards or so to get into field goal range most of the time. So maybe they could get rid of the field goal in overtime, or, and i know this would never happen...NO field goals after the 2 minute warning or in overtime. No field goals in overtime would be more fair. IMO. I listened to those guys argue over this last night on Inside the NFL, and even though they never brought up getting rid of the field goal, Dan Marino did last year, and I have to agree with him. The league has become more about the Off in the last few years, and 68% of coin tosses win in overtime, thats high. Too high not to even the playing field or to make changes in that area to reflect the other changes that have taken place.

vidaliasteelerfan
01-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I am one for both teams getting a chance. Start both teams at the OWN 30 and let them go at it until someone scores.

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I am one for both teams getting a chance. Start both teams at the OWN 30 and let them go at it until someone scores.Are you saying no kick off? Kinda like college. I cant stand the college rule. Special teams is part of football and to take them out is not good...

BR7
01-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I have the OT fix. They need to adopt my Madden OT Rule. This only applies to when my brother and I battle it out, but should translate nicley to the NFL.

NO ****ING FGs!! FG in OT is pansy ball. You want the win.. you need 6. No punting either... move the sticks or lose. Discuss. lol.

As for the 4 point FG.. I don't think teams would throw a bitch fit because it's harder to kick long ones in different stadiums. They didn't give the Phins a 12 point td because the Ravens have a stingy D, or give Paddington (lol.. paddington.. I crack myself up sometimes) a mulligan for throwing a pick.

Edit, lol.. Thats what I guess for not reading the entire post.. Dean already mentioned the no FG policy in OT. My bad. (and I agree).

Steelersfan
01-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I have the OT fix. They need to adopt my Madden OT Rule. This only applies to when my brother and I battle it out, but should translate nicley to the NFL.

NO ****ING FGs!! FG in OT is pansy ball. You want the win.. you need 6. No punting either... move the sticks or lose. Discuss. lol.

As for the 4 point FG.. I don't think teams would throw a bitch fit because it's harder to kick long ones in different stadiums. They didn't give the Phins a 12 point td because the Ravens have a stingy D, or give Paddington (lol.. paddington.. I crack myself up sometimes) a mulligan for throwing a pick.

That's not a bad idea. How about you go down and kick a FG the other team gets the ball back and can win the game with a TD? However, if the first team scored a TD the game is over?

Make it so if they kick a FG the other team has a chance to beat them.

Ambridge
01-08-2009, 05:41 PM

edit

I definately agree with the Pass Interference Rule.
It should be an automatic first down or 10yd penalty.
Take away the 2 point conversion and add a 4 point FG for tries of 50+ yds.

I think that would add a twist to strategy.....imagine time is running under 2 minutes and a team is down by 4 or less and is moving the ball pretty good....do they play field position to get in 4 point range or do they keep on driving and go for the winning TD??

BR7
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
OT FG/Punting or even attempting to line up in either of the formations will result in an automatic loss when I get the commish job. Possible forfiet of next years first round draft pick, lol.

But on a serious note.. I think no FG, no punting. TD (ammended.. or a safety) wins it. If the team with the best D gets the shaft by losing the coin toss.. they should end up with pretty good field position when they force the team to go 4 and out. justice is served!

I think that would add a twist to strategy.....imagine time is running under 2 minutes and a team is down by 4 or less and is moving the ball pretty good....do they play field position to get in 4 point range or do they keep on driving and go for the winning TD??

The only problem with that is once they are out of the 4 point range.. and HAVE to score a TD (being down 4 or more), and the Offense sees it won't beable to score a td. Would it be right for them to take numerous false start penalties to get back in the 4 point range?

Ambridge
01-08-2009, 05:55 PM
The only problem with that is once they are out of the 4 point range.. and HAVE to score a TD (being down 4 or more), and the Offense sees it won't beable to score a td. Would it be right for them to take numerous false start penalties to get back in the 4 point range?

Have the rule state that once the offense passes the 4 point FG line they forfeit the chance to go for the 4 pointer if penalty yardage puts them back there again.

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
See, I like this. Now we are talking about making a real change here. I like the 2 point play and have always felt that it was the extra point that needed to go. I thought, 1. no field goals inside the 30 after the 2 minute warning or or overtime 2. Or no field goals period at that time. I still think you should punt though. The scores would get out of control.

Pass interference should not be the spot of the foul, it should be 15 yards at the most.
I do like the idea that if you score a field goal on your opening drive in OT, the other team should get a chance to go down and tie or win with the TD. It will get tricky here because people might start to say that maybe the game should end in a tie, or you start again. another 15 period should be added for OT, then if your tied after that go again...

BR7
01-08-2009, 06:07 PM
The no punt would apply in OT only.

-Pass interference needs to be changed. Like Aimbridge said.. 10 yards or auto 1st down. 15 yards max. I can go either way, but no way the big league boys should get spot of foul.

-OT.. no punting, no FGs. Might be a stretch, but at the least.. if you have just the no FG rule, both teams would touch the ball more than they do now. Same rule.. first team to score wins. Only a safety or TD wins the game.

-ditch the two pointer and beef up long FGs. mabye even 50+ = 4 points, everything else is the 3.

Not sure how well the no FG in the last 2 minutes inside the 30 would work out. Loss of momentum going into half being forced into going for 6.

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I really like the 2 point play. Its just the field goals that make me mad. I wouldn't worry about momentum killers with that because you would change your approach with that in mind. When I hear Brady being compared to Montana I throw up in my mouth because Montana took his team down the field and scored a TD in his SB, Brady just got them in field goal range...No field goals...no OT or ever...

ejsteeler
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
you people are scaring me......:yikes:

I'm an old fool I guess. I like it the way it is for the most part. If anyhting, I say take the game back to how it used to be when they played real football...:yellowthumb:

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
you people are scaring me......:yikes:

I'm an old fool I guess. I like it the way it is for the most part. If anyhting, I say take the game back to how it used to be when they played real football...:yellowthumb:I dont have any issues going back to old school football. Then there would be no need to change the OT because like I said 1974 to 1978 only 31% of the coin toss opening drive won the game. That has jumped to 68%... that is far too high in todays big money football. Also there would not be the damn Mel Blount rule where you cant hit the WR after 5 yards. A lot has changed sine the old school left and this new age of football has taken over. There needs to be change to keep up with the current times...

Zachintosh66
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I love the college OT system... but maybee i'd tweak it and give them the ball at the 40 or 50... let them earn the drive. Then the other team gets a shot to tie or beat.

sudden death OT isnt bad, it just sucks when your O dont even get a shot with the ball

kgreen
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Are you saying no kick off? Kinda like college. I cant stand the college rule. Special teams is part of football and to take them out is not good...

I love the college rules. It's kind of like a shoot out in soccer or hockey. Essencially the game is decided on the coin toss in today's rules. I say start each from either the 50 or the 45 and let them go at it. and I have exceptions to just kciking it off and letting both teams have a chance. Either way, overtime rules need to be changed.

Steelerlyn
01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't like OT at all but since it is a fact of life, I agree with Bill Cowher. He said last week on the show that each team should have a chance to touch the ball; instead of the team who wins the toss and it is GAME OVER. He also said regarding fg, that they should make the goal posts closer together making the fg harder to achieve.

Steelersfan
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Crap, let the home team decide if they want the ball first or last. Each would start at the 20. Yes, the redzone, and they go for a TD. First team to score and hold the other team wins. Any turnovers returned for a TD win the game. No FG's, No kicking or punting. Give em say 5 attempts or something to score (no first down). Defensive penalty gives them another shot or something.