PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin won’t look back for information

ejsteeler
01-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Tomlin won’t look back for information
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

There is the mandated video exchange and scouting reports, and all teams send advance scouts to the games of their upcoming opponent just in case something extra can be learned from a seat in the press box.

In a league where the New England Patriots were fined cash and a draft choice for going too far to obtain advance information, it would seem that a previous game against an opponent would be worth its weight in gold.

“I don’t subscribe to that theory,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “Just because that last game unfolded the way it did, that’s no indication that’s how this game is going to unfold.”

So much for the popular notion that Steelers-Chargers on Nov. 16 will have an impact on Steelers-Chargers on Jan. 11.

“We are different in some ways than the last time we played them,” said Tomlin. “We’re playing with people we didn’t play with last time. This is the first time around for Heath Miller and this is the first time around for some cornerbacks. They’re playing with some people who didn’t play or had different roles the last time we played them. It gives you a little window in terms of the physical matchup because you had a chance to watch guys compete against one another first-hand, but it’s no indication of how this game is going to unfold. We don’t take it as such.”

The way the regular season game between these teams unfolded was as the first 11-10 final in NFL history, and that’s a lot of football history. But despite the final numbers, in a lot of ways, the game was one the Steelers’ best offensive performances of the season.

Twenty-four first downs; a 50 percent conversion rate on third downs. Willie Parker rushed for 115 yards and averaged 4.3 per carry; Ben Roethlisberger passed for 308 and completed 75 percent.

But 13 penalties against the Steelers – seven on the offense, three of which were for holding, including one for holding on Sean McHugh that took a touchdown off the board in the fourth quarter – plus a goal-line stand by the Chargers kept the Steelers out of the end zone.

“There is no hocus-pocus or secret formula to getting the ball into the end zone,” said Tomlin. “We have to execute better, we have to put our guys into better position to take advantage of the field position. Those are some of the things that we are working on as a staff right now and those are some of the things that we will work on later in the week with our players. It is that simple.

“We won’t do anything differently this week than we’ve done in the other weeks in preparation for the game. We just have to let it all come together better than the last time we played them because I think we were 0-for-3 in goal-to-go situations in that game. That’s life, but thankfully we were able to win.”

As the No. 2 seed in these AFC playoffs, the Steelers were off last weekend while the Chargers defeated the Indianapolis Colts in overtime in an AFC Wild Card Game. The winner of this Steelers-Chargers rematch earns a berth in the AFC Championship Game, just one step removed from Super Bowl XLIII.

“We realize that if we are going to be as good as we are capable of being, specifically if we are going to win this weekend,” said Tomlin, “the Steelers cannot beat the Steelers.”

The more I hear from him, the more I like his approach. He's been consistent with it for 2 years now, so I don't think it is an act. His level headedness has to leak down to the players and bodes well for our chances to be on the field in Tampa.

Dean Denton
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
He's a smart fella. It shows. We all have been saying the same thing, just in a different way. We have all agreed this game has nothing to do with the other and will be different. We just have to go out there and beat their asses....

BlitzburghNation
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Crank up the Drowning Pool song "Let the bodies hit the floor"
That's what's coming from our #1 Defense this sunday,,,,,,,,Heard Harrison & woodley on sirius and these guys are ready to bring the pain,,,,,I am so :ktrain: up !!!!!!

Dean Denton
01-07-2009, 04:13 PM
As long as its not Duran Duran's Ordinary World....lol that would mean we lost...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Last year we came into that playoff game against the Jags completely out of whack, flat, and not ready...this year I expect this team to come out and play at a high level of intensity and set the tone early in all 3 phases. No feeling each other out, no prissy stuff, no trying to figure out a gameplan on the fly; you come out loaded and ready to fire and start moving the chains on offense and making stop and hard hits on defense every chance you get.

LarryNJ
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
you come out loaded and ready to fire and start moving the chains on offense and making stop and hard hits on defense every chance you get.

We can only hope! :)

Ambridge
01-07-2009, 06:52 PM
“the Steelers cannot beat the Steelers.”

That translates into no picks and turnovers from Ben.....no stupid penalties on both sides of the ball and no half-assed play calling from BA.

Steelersfan
01-07-2009, 07:00 PM
“the Steelers cannot beat the Steelers.”

That translates into no picks and turnovers from Ben.....no stupid penalties on both sides of the ball and no half-assed play calling from BA.

:plus1:

Couldn't agree more!

Dean Denton
01-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, I think the Steelers are a better team this year then last year, and I also feel last years Jags are a lot better then this years Chargers. I know that does not mean all that much in football, but it makes me feel better with those kind of odds. Can we get beat worse this year? Sure can...But I do not think we get beat by this group of Chargers. Not to say they suck or are bad, but I think they got lucky last week, and like Dion Sanders said about the Chargers, " waiting for the glass slipper to fall." I think that would be this week in Pittsburgh....Just cant see them beating this team.....

Monrozombi
01-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm really digging Tomlin's approach. Playoff games are such a different animal then regular season play. And like he said, there will be guys playing that didn't play SD in the reg season. Plus the Steelers themselves, IMHO are their own worst enemy so we need to make sure our OL gives Ben the protection he needs and we don't get any stupid penalties called against us.

greennick
01-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm really digging Tomlin's approach. Playoff games are such a different animal then regular season play. And like he said, there will be guys playing that didn't play SD in the reg season. Plus the Steelers themselves, IMHO are their own worst enemy so we need to make sure our OL gives Ben the protection he needs and we don't get any stupid penalties called against us.

Also, they had a fit LT last time. He will be a big loss for this game. We won't have the same swiss cheese run D and special teams as the Colts that allowed Sproles to get such good yardage.

Monrozombi
01-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Also, they had a fit LT last time. He will be a big loss for this game. We won't have the same swiss cheese run D and special teams as the Colts that allowed Sproles to get such good yardage.

I gotta admit I was impressed w/ Sproles but as long as our D shows up, which it always does I think Sproles wont be much of a factor

greennick
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I gotta admit I was impressed w/ Sproles but as long as our D shows up, which it always does I think Sproles wont be much of a factor

I don't think Sproles has the kind of good running game that will do well with a tight D in the cold weather.